HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A few more details

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2004, 07:56 AM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
A few more details

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~29583~2249885,00.html

If that's true, and the Kings tried to sign Laperriere to a deal worth $1.2 million per year for 3 years, that's pretty fair. And he would've come back to the Kings had the Avs not been looking at him. He got a 4th year from them, so he took it. He wanted to go to a team that has a chance to win. The Avs have been taken out by the Wild and the Sharks the last 2 years, but they're always said to be a contender, so good luck to Laperriere.

This whole Palffy thing is just silly. He wants a 4 or 5 year deal, earning at least $7 million per year, playing on a team contending for a cup. We get 17 different stories from Palffy/his agent, and the Kings. He said he wanted to stay in LA, his agent said he wants to stay in LA, he doesn't want to stay, nobody has talked to anyone, but they have talked, he won't take a paycut, he wants to go east, wants to go to a contender, blah, blah, blah. So is he going to Tampa? Calgary? San Jose? Seems like those are the contenders.

And if Laperriere is right, and there won't be a season, everything we're talking about doesn't mean anything. Hockey is just a game. Or should be anyway. But it's not. It's supposed to be an escape from reality for a few hours. But it's all the same now. Except it's million dollar athletes fighting with million/billion dollar owners. So it's not exactly like real life, where people have to fight just to squeak by. But it is like real life, because they bring up the same issues of everyday people. But they're not everyday people. It's just a business.

Old
07-03-2004, 09:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I wonder what Ian Lapperriere would say last year, if we asked him if he thought the Calgary Flames had a legitmate chance at a Stanley Cup, or the Ducks before that.

It's all drivel, and Lappy and Palffy have the same agent.

I don't want people on the Kings who don't want to be here. If I had a choice between Lappy staying and wanting out of LA, or Anson Carter playing like crap, but wanting to be in LA, I'll take Anson Carter.

I'll take Demetra too, if Palffy doesn't want to be here. I hope the door isn't hitting these guys on the way out, actually I do, I can't stand anyone who plays for the Avalanche.

Old
07-03-2004, 05:36 PM
5-Hole

out the door

heck...I hope the door DOES hit them on the way out!

Old
07-03-2004, 05:51 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get all worked up about this stuff. What each side says, what the agent says, etc. is just a way of playing each team off of each other (agent drumming up talk to raise the competition for his player's services) since the teams are not legally allowed to speak with each other about a player. So the agent says that his player is willing to do this or that or go here or there to get teams to raise the level of bidding. But throughout all this, the player and the agent both know exactly where the player wants to be, but they will never let it be known. It's all about leverage.

And whether a player wants to be here or not, and whether a player will be here or not, it doesn't matter to me. If a player wants more money, more power to him. Good luck to you. If he wants to stay in LA, great, glad to have ya. If Palffy wants to leave because he wants to play for a "contender", I'm sincerely happy for him. I cannot criticize someone for doing what their heart tells them.