HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

it is early, but...

Old
10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
it is early, but...

at this point in the season I think it is clear that we are the best team in the league. I mean through 6 games and 2 overtimes we have yet to even trail.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:03 AM
le_sean

It's been 6 games, relax. By your logic the Ducks are the worst team in the league and Dandenault is just as good as Getzlaf and Perry.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:03 AM
TomPlex

I think that a more indicative fact is that we're not playing remotely close to our A game, yet we're STILL WINNING!

We demolished Toronto, and we dominated the Bruins in the first period on Wednesday. Aside from that, everything else has been mediocre.

Once this team can find a way to play consistent, dominant hockey, we will be almost impossible to stop.

Once Higgins, Kosty and Laraque come back, and we have the ability to roll those 3 scoring lines that we've been dreaming about, we're going to be one very happy fan-base.

TomPlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I think that a more indicative fact is that we're not playing remotely close to our A game, yet we're STILL WINNING!

We demolished Toronto, and we dominated the Bruins in the first period on Wednesday. Aside from that, everything else has been mediocre.

Once this team can find a way to play consistent, dominant hockey, we will be almost impossible to stop.

Once Higgins, Kosty and Laraque come back, and we have the ability to roll those 3 scoring lines that we've been dreaming about, we're going to be one very happy fan-base.
Anything regarding us beating the Bruins is not indicative in any ways.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
It's been 6 games, relax. By your logic the Ducks are the worst team in the league and Dandenault is just as good as Getzlaf and Perry.
no matter who its is and what they do....they over rule dandenault in the game of hockey

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:07 AM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Anything regarding us beating the Bruins is not indicative in any ways.
Haha while it may have been true last season, it appears as if they're stronger this year. They're putting up a fight on a regular basis, and us having manhandled them like we did in the first is quite a good tell.

Old
10-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
at this point in the season I think it is clear that we are the best team in the league. I mean through 6 games and 2 overtimes we have yet to even trail.
We did have to come from behind against Philly.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Also, the fact that we are missing Higgins, have missed Bouillon and missed Kosty tonight, yet still continue to play well is telling. We are just so deep offensively, that we can make up for those losses. Plus, the fact that our "top" line hasn't been performing well, yet we continue to look good offensively is also a good sign. Robert Lang has been a difference maker, as he just creates so much depth for us on the bottom lines.

While we are a much different team than any other Canadiens team since the lockout, it should be mentioned that each year after the lockout we had a stellar start. In fact, the two years immediately after the lockout, I think we were first in the league standings at one period of time before getting back to reality. One of the major differences right now is that we are winning convincingly for the most part, and aren't having one-goal or shootout wins like we did in those past seasons. Teams winning with poor goal differentials generally have their comeuppance as the season wears on, and we certainly got that each of those seasons. Also, I remember how Theodore, Huet and Aebischer would be tremendously inconsistent. They'd win us games, but then lose us games. Thankfully, our goaltending has been far more consistent and steady (which is remarkable, considering how young they are).

I still think Detroit is the class of the league. The Senators proved it last year, that hot starts can be deceptive. I don't think we're heading down that course, because our team is too deep. But there is tons of season left to play.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
no matter who its is and what they do....they over rule dandenault in the game of hockey
I must admit that i dont know how he did find a spot in the NHL and got almost 2 millions a year, Delenda Dandeno est!

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Habsfan18

loving the team again so far this year.

And yes it's wayyyyyyyyyy early. But those commercials that say "Is this the year?" gives me goosebumps and I'm starting to wonder...just maybe..

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post

Well that just showed how good we are. The Habs didnt played their best hockey yet but still manage to pick up 11 pts out of 12. The Plekanec line didnt do much on those 6 games and they were supposed to be our 1st line, Kovalev has a really slow start and Higgins havent played a single yet but we still collecting victories.

We are good so far, but we can still improve A LOT, thats what impresses me the most.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

B y the way, talking about Theodore, do any of you guys remember the start of the 2005/06 season? The Canadiens were winning games left and right, and were doing very well. However, every night that fall, it seemed like everyone had an issue with Theodore's goaltending. I was the biggest Theodore supporter (as was FOTS, IIRC), and continued to defend him. The criticism got so big (despite us winning games), that I had to start an "Official Jose Theodore thread," in which fans would post after every poor performance.

Wow, we've come a long way. Theodore was absolutely brilliant in 2002, and in the 2004 playoffs against the Bruins (Games 5-7). However, as time has worn on, I am relieved he isn't here anymore. We're much more solid and reliable, night in and night out with Price and Halak.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:33 AM
ScherbakAttack

It's been 6 games, and even though we have 11/12, we haven't dominated the games. We are good, but I wouldn't say we are the best in the league at this moment. When our team is 100% injury free and chemistry starts working, we might be the best then, and even then, it can change on any given night.

ScherbakAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:49 AM
TCIH

You can talk all you want about how the team hasn't even tried yet, but until they put in a full sixty minute effort, I won't look at them as anything but a strong team that has trouble keeping a lead and maintaining pressure. Not exactly the best team in the league.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:51 AM
Namso

didnt ottawa start out like 10-0 last year? way too early.

remember its not how you start, but how you finish that matters.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post
You can talk all you want about how the team hasn't even tried yet, but until they put in a full sixty minute effort, I won't look at them as anything but a strong team that has trouble keeping a lead and maintaining pressure. Not exactly the best team in the league.
This has become such a popular excuse/expression for a couple of years now, but I find it quite ridiculous.

I would like you to find me any team in hockey that is able to dominate their opponent on every single shift. It just never happens.
We ended up destroying Toronto 6-1, but if Price doesn't make a couple robberies early on, it might have been different.
Every team loses games, some nights are harder than others, sometimes nothing is clicking and it makes it seem as if we're not trying but that's BS.
The same can be said about Detroit on some nights. It applies to every single team in this league.
Name me a team that always keeps a lead?..Impossible.
Name me a team that wins 82Games?..Never happened.
Name me a team that doesn't have off nights?..Impossible.
Name me a player that doesn't have bad games?..Impossible.

Stop dreaming about a team that will contently dominate the opponent game in and game out, it's simply impossible.

What makes a good team is that, even on tougher nights, somehow it always manages to squeeze some pts.

And as for what I can remember, we only trailed once in 6Games so far and we're undefeated in regulation time. That doesn't quite back up your theory that we're having trouble keeping the lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post

Ya, but Ottawa didn't have close to the depth we have. The Goalie problems were evident from the start as well.

Even Pittsburgh last season doesn't come close to the depth we have.

We do not have superstars to carry this team. We have a much more balanced lineup.
We have Kovalev/Tanguay/Koivu/Lats/Kost Broz/Plek/Lang/Markov/Hamr/Komi with what is appearing to be one very solid goalie tandem.

A top9 that can generate offense at any time. Detroit didn't even have that last season. Not saying we're better than Detroit was last year, far from it.
I'm just saying we have a great team, and the comparison with Ottawa is not quite fair.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
And as for what I can remember, we only trailed once in 6Games so far and we're undefeated in regulation time. That doesn't quite back up your theory that we're having trouble keeping the lead.
I don't remember trailing in 6 games, actually... We got tied a few times but never trailed.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:34 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
I don't remember trailing in 6 games, actually... We got tied a few times but never trailed.
Philadelphia.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:34 AM
TomPlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
We trailed Philly 2-1.

Old
10-21-2008, 02:38 AM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Selective memory. I choose to ignore Philadelphia.

Guys we never trailed this year!

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Cuka

Philly definitely took the lead in one game; I remember thinking 'oh god, they own us now'. But it wasn't long before we took it to them in grand fashion!

I would say it's too early to call the Habs "the best in the league" but we're definitely in that echelon! We're winning consistently and convincingly, and no-one can give us the no-injuries whine this time around.
This team makes me giddy like a school girl... and with all the young'ns things can really only get better!

Cuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:20 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post

bingo.

consistency is the true test of valor... we've got alot to prove until i would consider us "the best team in the league", however i am a very happy and optimistic right now

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:21 AM
jean004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
OK so we are winning...and not playing our best of hockey yet, however lets take a look at the teams we've played and they're own records:

Buffalo Lost 2-1 in OT (GP5 W4 L0 OT1 PT9) 4th in East

Toronto Won 6-1 (GP5 W1 L2 OT2 PT4) 13th in East

Philly Won 5-3 (good comeback win) (GP5 W0 L3 OT2 PT2) 15th in East

Boston Win 4-3 (Blew 3 goal lead) (GP5 W2 L1 OT2 PT6) 8th in East

Pheonix Win 4-1 (GP5 W2 L3 OT0 PT4) 13th in West

Florida Win 3-1 (GP5 W2 L3 OT0 PT4) 11th in East

No offence, but we should have won all those games judging by our position in the East. Considering the positions and records of these other teams, there is no reason why we should have lost any of those games. The fact that Philly and Boston gave us a hard time and that we were unable to dispose of Buffalo indicates to me that this team isn't playing as good as its record indicates.

Lets see how we fare against the Ducks, Carolina and the Wild.....should be better indication of what this team has in them.

When we start playing teams that are in the top of the conference/divisions and we win those games, than we can pump our chests and say we are the best.....but until then I am more worried about what we bring then proud of the record. Not to say that I am not happy, cuz I am, but I want to see us win convincingly or at least be competing strongly against top end teams.

jean004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:23 AM
suprez

remember its not how you start, but how you finish that matters
--------------
What's the logic behind this? Every game counts and if the senators last years did not had such a good start they probably did not stand any chance to participate in the py.

The trick is to not have any bad streak during the entire season.The habs are capable of doing this and that the difference between a great team and average team.

Look there's no team in the NHL that can't be beat.Do you think Detroit never lose vs bad team?When you're an A team , other team want to test you.The habs will have much more opposition this years than they had the 4 previous season.Just like some team(aka the habs or the wings) can get beat if they don't respect bad team , since those bad team want to *prove* something against great team.

It's a vicous circle but in the end , great team know how to win games.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:32 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
remember its not how you start, but how you finish that matters
--------------
What's the logic behind this? Every game counts and if the senators last years did not had such a good start they probably did not stand any chance to participate in the py.

The trick is to not have any bad streak during the entire season.The habs are capable of doing this and that the difference between a great team and average team.

Look there's no team in the NHL that can't be beat.Do you think Detroit never lose vs bad team?When you're an A team , other team want to test you.The habs will have much more opposition this years than they had the 4 previous season.Just like some team(aka the habs or the wings) can get beat if they don't respect bad team , since those bad team want to *prove* something against great team.

It's a vicous circle but in the end , great team know how to win games.
other teams are starting to respect, as long as we respect back we'll be ok. however i agree we'll be tested very hard.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote