HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

PGT: Habs A- team finally wins one at home against FLA

Old
10-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Canadiens Fan

vCash: 500
Random thoughts about tonight's game against the Panthers from the Hockey News Canadiens Blog.

Habs Grind Out a Win Against the Panthers
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-Panthers.html

Canadiens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:15 AM
guest1467

For all of you guys wondering why O'byrne was benched here are the three main reasons I think:

1) Obviously with 7 defensemen dressed there was a lot of options.

2) Did you guys see that play where he went for the hit and ended up missing and giving up a 2 on 1? I'm not sure if it was in the first or the beginning of the second.

3) There was also a play where he fanned on an outlet pass resulting in losing the puck and Florida put on a lot of pressure in our zone and got a few good chances.

So couple the last two with the first one and you have a pretty simple equation.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I know, I mean heck, I need a chance to adjust. It's fun watching Ballard rush into the zone like that. Bouw's said he's enjoying the new system as well, said "we'll see," when asked if he's thinking about staying. Guess that's positive.

A lot of the offensive players adjusting as well. Some of them seem to be waiting to sit back or dump the puck. Deboer's got them moving out there, though. Seems like he's getting a good system in place.

I don't honestly expect the playoffs this season. I mean, we'll see, and 7th or 8th is possible, but Martin's had a plethora of other GM mistakes to dig through. We're happy with most of what he's done, the Olli trade looks better everyday. Ballard has been terrific out there and Boynton has been a pleasant surprise. Ballard's got a point in every game. They just need the offense to get clicking, the defense is doing it all.
It's going to be tough and probably take a good 20 games for your players to get used to Deboer's system. But I saw a lot of good things tonight from the Panthers.

I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of the Oli trade. But Ballard did look very good and Boynton seems to have a new lease on life out there. Plus I always felt that the Panthers were/are Horton's team.

You guys definitely seem to be heading in the right direction. So hopefully you'll be able to keep JayBo happy so he'll remain a Panther for a long time.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:27 AM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Actually, we're already at 67.4% chance of making it :teachityteachteach:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html

edit: Now 71.4%
What I meant was we have 12% of the points needed. But that works too

CPrice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:32 AM
giovannicanella

I have had it up to here with Patrice Brisebois. I have tolerated long enough...and given him soooo many chances to redeem himself...(the only good thing he did since coming back is a playoff goal v boston) If you guys remember he also cost us goals...last years playoffs...

You really have to be a glass half full kinda guy to see anything that Brisebois brings that o'byrne doesn't....Breezer's errors often go unnoticed because they are rectified or fixed by harder working teammates who aren't as soft.../tentative

I could go on and on...Breezer had 17 mins today...DISGRACEFUL...

I suppose to keep our D fresh for the playoffs?

Sergei Kostitsyn had a so so game...

Dandy is faster than Chipchura but yes why is a 1.7 Cap hit 4th liner at best doing with habs? Filling up space..oh yeah he can play d? but hasnt really played much in a while...

kovalev was so so...gave up the puck a lot...tonight more so than normal (FLORIDA's defensive system didnt help) no more than brisebois...but kovalev tries high risk plays and has an above avg success rate with the high risk plays he tries...

Halak was great.

Lappy...love his speed, will he ever pass on a 2 v 1 ?

Were always close to shutting out teams...

I shudder in fear to think how powerful we will become when we have the full depth and health of higgins power and co...

wow wa wee wah

giovannicanella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:52 AM
number 11

kovy hit a post and set up a near goal on the shot-pass during the pp. we have to realize he's being covered a lot more closely than last season...everyone in the east knows he's our most dangerous guy. could be the reason why he's off to a so-so start and the saku line is killing it.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:53 AM
TCIH

Whoa, O'Byrne was benched? I kind of figured. I remember thinking to myself "Wow, O'Byrne really needs to sit, he's been terrible" after he missed that hit that created the 2-on-1 and ensuing pressure in the defensive zone.

I doubt it's a big deal, but when a player doesn't have it in a close game, it's probably best not to push your luck. Not like we had a shortage of defensemen at the time anyway.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Mother Pucker

Facts from this game:

1) Chipper is NHL ready and should take Dandenault's place NOW.
2) Halak is friggin' AWESOME. If I was the GM of a team with shaky goaltending, I would make an offer sheet to him as soon as he is RFA. Played like an actual 1a goaltender.
3) If Gainey was watching this game, O'Byrne just turned into a potential trade bait, if he wasn't already, or at least an asset to be sent in a package. I'd be surprise if we go into the playoff with him at all.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:06 AM
SC2008

Halak is better than Price. Let him start.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:11 AM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esticallice View Post
Facts from this game:

1) Chipper is NHL ready and should take Dandenault's place NOW.
2) Halak is friggin' AWESOME. If I was the GM of a team with shaky goaltending, I would make an offer sheet to him as soon as he is RFA. Played like an actual 1a goaltender.
3) If Gainey was watching this game, O'Byrne just turned into a potential trade bait, if he wasn't already, or at least an asset to be sent in a package. I'd be surprise if we go into the playoff with him at all.
Goodjob, saying O'Byrne is useless after 1 bad game. He is a good defensemen, and it's normal for him to have bad games once in a while.

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-21-2008 at 02:08 AM.
mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
Goodjob, saying O'Byrne is useless after 1 bad game. He is a good defensemen, and it's normal for him to have bad games once in a while.

Don't put words in my mouth I didn't say. I am not saying O'Byrne is a bad player at all. I'm just saying with the depth we had at D in Hamilton , he is one of the most expandable players. And when I say expandable, I don't mean "useless" type of expandable (like Dandenault is), but rather expandable regarding our depth, regarding his trade value linked to his potential as well as his readiness to contribute to our cup run this year. Right now we have the depth at D, he also has some trade value (big stay at home D in the mold of Komi), and alsoin my mind Gainey knows we need our 4th D to be more solid than that to bring our contending hopes to the next level. And I think Gainey is pretty serious to fix any possible weak link and to take advantage of every opportunity we have.

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-21-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
It's going to be tough and probably take a good 20 games for your players to get used to Deboer's system. But I saw a lot of good things tonight from the Panthers.

I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of the Oli trade. But Ballard did look very good and Boynton seems to have a new lease on life out there. Plus I always felt that the Panthers were/are Horton's team.

You guys definitely seem to be heading in the right direction. So hopefully you'll be able to keep JayBo happy so he'll remain a Panther for a long time.
Sounds about right, though, the fans have had 8 years of failure, they're impatient. Horton needs to start getting the puck in the net. He's had a point in all but last night's game (I think, haven't checked the stats yet from last night), but we were hooping to get goals from him. Can't complain too much.

Not many people were big fans of the Olli trade, but both sides really needed a change of scenary. Some things have come out about Olli and it's become obvious that he needed to move on. I wish him the best in Phoenix. Ballard's been pretty awesome every night. He doesn't stop.

Seems they're moving in the right direction, patience will tell. We'll see with Bouw, I think he honestly wants to see how the team does under Deboer, he's tired of missing the playoffs as well. This is an important year for the Panthers.

10-21-2008, 03:14 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Who>?
Rob Niedermayer is pretty dirty.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:21 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
I'm not real sure how you guys don't see a different/boring team out there so far as the Panthers are concerned. I mean, the defensemen are sometimes the first one into the offensive zone, rather than sitting back waiting to play the trap like previous years.

I will say, though, that other than the new(er) players, it seems some guys are still adjusting to Deboer's faster pace. They're getting there.

Halak is a pretty incredible goalie, nice that you guys have him as a backup. Two solid young goalies. Seems as though you're 100th season will be a pretty good one. Enjoy.
Florida was far from boring tonight. Granted I was expecting a snoozefest ala the Jacques Martin coaching era, but the Panthers were anything but that. You guys will go far if you can get a scorer or 2, as you already have a top 10 D corps IMO.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:27 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Florida was far from boring tonight. Granted I was expecting a snoozefest ala the Jacques Martin coaching era, but the Panthers were anything but that. You guys will go far if you can get a scorer or 2, as you already have a top 10 D corps IMO.
Agreed. Ballard and Bouwmeester are 2 of the best young D-men in the game, and guys like Boynton, Allen and Skrastins are all reliable and gritty.

Loved what I saw from Olesz tonight also, I think you guys are an impact forward or 2 away from having a great team. If only you guys could have made the Ballard trade without giving up Jokinen.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:48 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2008 View Post
Halak is better than Price. Let him start.
Oh Please. Price is our number 1. End of the story.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:58 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Oh Please. Price is our number 1. End of the story.
Indeed, don't know why some people just have to have a goalie controversy to be happy.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Ugly win but better to win ugly then to lose...

Few points for me

- Koivu and Tanguay have looked great together and they did once again last night. I'd still like to see Tanguay shoot just a little more because he gets himself in such great positions but always looks for the pass.
- Chipchura should be on the team. He is an NHL player and he proved he belongs tonight. Nothing flashy but he played his game and played it well. Just waive or get rid of Dandenault and give his 4th line spot to Chipper.
- Plekanec is really pressing out there on the offensive end. He's playing good but you could see his slump was on his mind. Hopefully that empty netter gets him going.
- Halak played very good but he was letting up a lot of rebounds and most of them were going right into the slot. He finally got burned on Ballard's goal but otherwise the defense took care of them. Certainly something he can work on.
- O'Byrne had a rough night but those growing pains need to be expected with young defenseman and people need to be patient and let him work through it.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:32 AM
albertabound

Go to the Hamilton Bulldog website and click on highlites from Sat night game about 30 seconds in watch Chipper's fight it is totally awesome the guy guy he fought is huge good to know that this guy can also fight and not just hang on and hug its an actual fight. By the way good game for chipper tonight great to see him get the call up.

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:32 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Agreed. Ballard and Bouwmeester are 2 of the best young D-men in the game, and guys like Boynton, Allen and Skrastins are all reliable and gritty.

Loved what I saw from Olesz tonight also, I think you guys are an impact forward or 2 away from having a great team. If only you guys could have made the Ballard trade without giving up Jokinen.
NO thank you Quag. I think I speak for a lot of Cat fans when I say that Im glad Olli is gone. Counting this season, he has now gone 30 games, I believe, without scoring an even strength goal. His best asset is his shot from the point on the PP. Aside from that, he has been useless pretty much since the Zednik incident. I wish him luck in Phoenix, but Im glad he, and his apparent lockerroom problems are gone.

As far as the game is concerned...I thought it was another fantastic Cats/Habs game. The calls did go your way, with most being legit, and a couple clearly being missed against the Habs, but I know that that will change over time with the Cats having better success. I was quite worried playing the Habs because i believe they are one of the best in the league, but I think the Cats certainly held their own, and then some.

Id like to get some of you guys' opinion on the Panthers. I think they proved last night that they could play with any team in the league on any given night. If it wasnt for Halak, the outcome could of been different. But the same could be said for Vokoun as well. I think we are great on defense and in net, but we just need our youngsters to step up at the forward spot. If they can get down DeBoer's scheme quickly, I think they are a playoff team, more so if Martin can add a quality forward at the deadline. Thoughts???

Here is to a successful season for both teams, and hope for a possible 1/8 matchup in the playoffs!

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:52 AM
MastaK

Yeah I was impressed by the Panthers tonight. They looked hungry for a win...

As for the Habs :
Great performance by Chipchura & Lang
Koivu, Markov & Tanguay also (getting used to it)
Komi slowly getting back to his good habits

Halak showing what he can do (we already knew it)

Considering the effort Florida put, it was a good result.

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:00 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
Why did they take off Tanguay's assist?
So that I could have one less point in a hockey pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
So what's the deal with the Monday, Wednesday, Friday games? It's been Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday for the past how many years.
I think it has to do with TV schedules and baseball playoffs early in the season?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
I have had it up to here with Patrice Brisebois. I have tolerated long enough...and given him soooo many chances to redeem himself...(the only good thing he did since coming back is a playoff goal v boston) If you guys remember he also cost us goals...last years playoffs...

You really have to be a glass half full kinda guy to see anything that Brisebois brings that o'byrne doesn't....Breezer's errors often go unnoticed because they are rectified or fixed by harder working teammates who aren't as soft.../tentative
Brisebois played a pretty decent game. Anyone who watched the game knows that O'Byrne was the worst defenseman on the ice tonight, which is why he was sat and Bouillon moved to the back-end.

Breezer had no noticeably bad turnovers last night and actually had some good scoring chances.. he also had a hit which isn't very normal.

He also hasn't been on the ice yet for a goal this year.. so he hasn't really too much of a reliability since the first game or two.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:50 AM
znk

Quote:
I'm not real sure how you guys don't see a different/boring team out there so far as the Panthers are concerned. I mean, the defensemen are sometimes the first one into the offensive zone, rather than sitting back waiting to play the trap like previous years.

I will say, though, that other than the new(er) players, it seems some guys are still adjusting to Deboer's faster pace. They're getting there.

Halak is a pretty incredible goalie, nice that you guys have him as a backup. Two solid young goalies. Seems as though you're 100th season will be a pretty good one. Enjoy.
Dont mind them. I thought the Panthers played a totaly different game then they used to. Much more pressure in the zone and like you said the D supports the rush more. The game wasnt the same kind of boring game I'm used to from the Panthers.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 09:54 AM.
znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Brisebois played a pretty decent game. Anyone who watched the game knows that O'Byrne was the worst defenseman on the ice tonight, which is why he was sat and Bouillon moved to the back-end.

Breezer had no noticeably bad turnovers last night and actually had some good scoring chances.. he also had a hit which isn't very normal.

He also hasn't been on the ice yet for a goal this year.. so he hasn't really too much of a reliability since the first game or two.
Good post Nate. I really don't get the intense Brisebois hate from gino there. I am no big fan of the Breezer, but to rip on him after last night (or even for most of the season so far) seems like hating on somebody just to hate him. He hasn't cost the Habs a goal or game.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote