HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: Marian Gaborik being shopped

Old
10-21-2008, 10:42 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
TSN: Marian Gaborik being shopped

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2533...s=secStory_nhl

Oh how I would love this guy on the Rangers. Granted Sather would rather have him as a free agent this summer and give up nothing to the Wild, but he would be the cherry on top of this team imo.

Unfortunately his cap hit is like 7 mill. Even if you could get him to re-sign for less you'd still have to have room for him to make the trade this season

Is there anyway for Slats to get this done?

Is he worth the cost, or do they ride out the season losing tight games because they are coming up a goal short?

10-21-2008, 10:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
This has been discussed a lot over the last 5 weeks.

It comes down to money. How do you fit him in the cap?

He turned down 10M a year. So how much less do you really expect him to sign for? That also begs the question: he's asking to be paid like a top 10 player, but is he?

10-21-2008, 10:48 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Is he a want or a need?

Want, to me.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

No hes not worth 10 mill, but some of that has to be hes just sick of Minny

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Hes also hurt....again.

No thanks to this guy. It just wont work considering what Minnesota is seeking in return (offense), and our salary cap situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:50 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Is he a want or a need?

Want, to me.
sigh...... NYR struggling to score goals.

Scoring is a need. You have one of the best goaltenders in the NHL and your giving him limited goal support.

Old
10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Hes also hurt....again.

No thanks to this guy. It just wont work considering what Minnesota is seeking in return (offense), and our salary cap situation.
groin?

Old
10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Shake and Bake

He turned down 10 mill a year? over how many years?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Gaborik is a dynamic talent, but he's always injured.

It's a very risky proposition. If we were really going to make that kind of salary cap space available, I'd rather wait for the chance that Kovalchuk is available. He's better and more durable, not to mention he fills a bigger need.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
groin?
The all-to-familiar "lower body injury"

The best chance for us is he gets traded somewhere and tests free agency this summer...and even then it would take Sather clearing an absurd amount of cap space.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

He's great when he's on the ice. Amazed he played 77 games last year, after missing good amount of the 3 seasons before that. You think he'll stay healthy? Thats a lot of money and assets to gamble.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Bury Your Head

41 GWG's for Gabby in 7 seasons.

44 GWG's for Drury in 9 seasons.

Gaborik is well worth the risk if Sather can get it done.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
He turned down 10 mill a year? over how many years?
8 I believe

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Is he a want or a need?

Want, to me.
If the team is concerned by their lack of scoring, I would say that any scoring winger is a need.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:02 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Gaborik

We would need to drop about 8 million in cap.

That's Scott Gomez and Marcus Naslund.

Or Gomer, Rismiller, Prucha, Dawes, and Fritche.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
groin?
"Lower body injury" is what they're calling it. Though there is some speculation that's cover for trade discussions, whatever that means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This has been discussed a lot over the last 5 weeks.

It comes down to money. How do you fit him in the cap?

He turned down 10M a year. So how much less do you really expect him to sign for? That also begs the question: he's asking to be paid like a top 10 player, but is he?
Very true, but I might attribute some of that to wanting to get out of Minnesota.

He has a cap hit of 6.33 mil, thats Rozy and Prucha in terms of salary, but you can bet your ass Minnesota would piss themselves if Slats offered them that.

They might be interested in Drury, as he's a defensive player and they run a defensive system up there. They're also looking for leadership with the loss of Rolston. That being said, I doubt we manage to trade a struggling player who not only has a NMC, but was just named captain to boot.

Trading Gomez.. kind of defeats the purpose of acquiring Gaborik, doesn't it? I suppose Naslund - Drury - Gaborik wouldn't be too bad, but it's not as appealing as having Gomez feeding tape-to-tape passes to Gaborik on a nightly basis.

Then of course there's the whole injury thing. You could wind up with a 50 goal scorer playing 80 games, or a 15 goal scorer playing 35 games. It's a lot to consider.

As much as I'd like to think we're in the running for this, I don't see us winning the sweepstakes.

Just to add, I don't think people should hold out hope for Kovalchuk. My money is on him sticking with Atlanta. They're getting better and are probably going to wind up with another top-10 pick this year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
41 GWG's for Gabby in 7 seasons.

44 GWG's for Drury in 9 seasons.

Gaborik is well worth the risk if Sather can get it done.
I wonder if Gabs GW goals stat is inflated cause he plays on Minn where most of the time the 1st or 2nd goal is a game winner.

I guess what im trying to say is it was harder for Drury to get the GW when everyone on Buffalo is scoring in bunches.

Or am I way off?

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
I wonder if Gabs GW goals stat is inflated cause he plays on Minn where most of the time the 1st or 2nd goal is a game winner.

I guess what im trying to say is it was harder for Drury to get the GW when everyone on Buffalo is scoring in bunches.

Or am I way off?
Well that not really the point I was making -- the fact that we score 1 or 2 goals a game is -- and Gabby could be that gamebreaker we need.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:11 AM
benefactor*

Pens fan here.... Cap problems aside, you guys aren't asking yourself a logical question. Why would Gaborik want to play for you? Presumably the reason he wants to leave the Wild is because they play a primarily defensively oriented system where he feels like he can't flourish. It's not because they're a bad team. It's not because they aren't giving him the money he wants. Is NY really so different? Unless things have changed since last season, you guys are still a team with defensive tendencies, not to mention the fact that you lack grade A offensive talent. I don't see many differences between you and Minnesota, so I'd be pretty surprised - cap problems aside - if Gaborik even considered playing for you.

benefactor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB85 View Post
Pens fan here.... Cap problems aside, you guys aren't asking yourself a logical question. Why would Gaborik want to play for you? Presumably the reason he wants to leave the Wild is because they play a primarily defensively oriented system where he feels like he can't flourish. It's not because they're a bad team. It's not because they aren't giving him the money he wants. Is NY really so different? Unless things have changed since last season, you guys are still a team with defensive tendencies, not to mention the fact that you lack up-front offensive talent. I don't see many differences between you and Minnesota, so I'd be pretty surprised - cap problems aside - if Gaborik even considered playing for you.
Then by your logic, Pittsburgh is the obvious choice for Gaborik, what we're we thinking!? Thanks Pens fan, you've been an enormous help.

Old
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Pens fan here.... Cap problems aside, you guys aren't asking yourself a logical question. Why would Gaborik want to play for you? Presumably the reason he wants to leave the Wild is because they play a primarily defensively oriented system where he feels like he can't flourish. It's not because they're a bad team. It's not because they aren't giving him the money he wants. Is NY really so different? Unless things have changed since last season, you guys are still a team with defensive tendencies, not to mention the fact that you lack grade A offensive talent. I don't see many differences between you and Minnesota, so I'd be pretty surprised - cap problems aside - if Gaborik even considered playing for you.

Yeah, what were we thinking? Big names wanting to play in NY? Ludicrous.

I don't think Gaborik wants to go somewhere where he'll be just another offensive asset, I think he wants to go to a team where he'll be "The Guy" offensively. That's exactly what he'd be if he played on this team.

I know you think everyone is dying to play with Crosby, and you have a point there I guess. I mean, just look at Hossa, right?

And yes, things have changed considerably since last season. We ran against Detroit for 40 minutes using their own system against them.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
benefactor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Then by your logic, Pittsburgh is the obvious choice for Gaborik, what we're we thinking!? Thanks Pens fan, you've been an enormous help.
Where in my post did I mention anything about the Penguins?

Old
10-21-2008, 11:20 AM
stcatcs12

Anyone who doesn't see a difference between New York City and Minnesota (not a knock on Minny whatsoever) shouldn't even be replying to this thread.

stcatcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:22 AM
benefactor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Yeah, what were we thinking? Big names wanting to play in NY? Ludicrous.

I don't think Gaborik wants to go somewhere where he'll be just another offensive asset, I think he wants to go to a team where he'll be "The Guy" offensively. That's exactly what he'd be if he played on this team.

I know you think everyone is dying to play with Crosby, and you have a point there I guess. I mean, just look at Hossa, right?

And yes, things have changed considerably since last season. We ran against Detroit for 40 minutes using their own system against them.
He's already the guy in Minnesota. And as I told the other guy, I never mentioned anything about Pittsburgh, so stop making foolish assumptions.

Old
10-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Where in my post did I mention anything about the Penguins?
Its written in between the lines. He has to go to a team with cap room and star offensive centers who are need of scoring wingers. A team that isnt defensive minded, etc.