HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chipchura Sent Back to Hamilton

Old
10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Artie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I unfortunately don't see this. The lovefest for Dandenault, the supposed 14th forward, is so great that I don't see how a Chipchura could end up being top 12. Unless a big trade is coming.....
I don't think it's so much a lovefest for Dandenault as much as it is managing ice time requirements. Chips continues to develop in Hamilton while Dandenault plays limited minutes or sits in Montreal.

I think they want Chipchura to take over the 3rd line C role, but right now I don't think he's ready. And this is not necessarily the season to learn on the job.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
I don't think it's so much a lovefest for Dandenault as much as it is managing ice time requirements. Chips continues to develop in Hamilton while Dandenault plays limited minutes or sits in Montreal.

I think they want Chipchura to take over the 3rd line C role, but right now I don't think he's ready. And this is not necessarily the season to learn on the job.
I agree. Though I had a tougher time hearing about it from Carbo by saying that we thought he would be out of here and still you can never underestimate such a player who brings so much versatility in a team etc.....That's for me was too much. I know you can't always say it as it is, but if it's that important to have a guy with such versatility.....should I expect to see him being signed for the next 4 years????

Dandenault is fine 'cause he fills a spot, a spot we cannot afford to see a kid filling 'cause those kids needs to improve themselves by playing a lot. I just have enough of that versatility card when clearly, he'll only be needed on D if there's a lot of injured d-men.....And up front, his versatily, clearly, makes him not a liability but definately not a force to be reckon with....

He's just a band-aid that you'll get rid of when the wound will be heal....nothing more, nothing less...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Erika

Mehhhh, it was written in the sky anyway... better chance next time I guess...

One of the most hilarious thing about Chipchura in his draft year is that: he was hyped as one of the most NHL ready prospect and surefire NHLer... despite having limited offensive potential...

4 years later.... he's still taking the ride between Hamilton and Montreal...

NHL ready huh ?! ... rrriiiight....

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post

One of the most hilarious thing about Chipchura in his draft year is that: he was hyped as one of the most NHL ready prospect and surefire NHLer... despite having limited offensive potential...

So are you saying Chips isn't NHL ready this season? Or even last season?

If it wasn't for our ridiculous depth, Chipchura would be on this team right now. He would also be playing on most other teams 3rd or 4th lines. What about Bobby Ryan, Cam Barker? Bunch of AHL scrubs. Don't get me started on this Tomas Plekanec guy...career AHLer.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Not being able to crack our lineup and not being able to crack other lineups are 2 different things..

Old
10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

the Curse of the Dandenault

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

She has every right to hate a guy (though I was crucified for way less about one of our prospect...) but I really thought that this post was just too way off to not have a reply about it.

But like I've been told before, I think that somebody should get through to her and make her understand that WE GET THE POINT! She hates Chipchura and she wants to be cherished if/when he doesn't make it and ends up being a cashier in a MacDonald's....Until then.....I hope she gives the kid and us a break....

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old
10-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Corey

The mere fact that he was called up to play on the wing instead of natural wingers such as d'Agostini and Pacioretty seems to belie the notion that he has no future in Montréal.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

there should be a sticky called "Chipchura sent back to/brought up from Hamilton"

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
It's the end of the world, he hasn't cracked the line-up full time after 6 games.

Games he played in the AHL:2
Games he played in the NHL:1

Plus he stayed here for the first 3 or 4 games, mind you in the pressbox, but he was here, and he was the first to be called up. I'm sure the organization assured him with more than just words he's next in line.

I would like him to see him improve his speed a bit, but other than that, he's a smart player with good hockey smarts and will make the team, it's just a matter of time and space. As NHL ready as he may be, I assume the staff would hope that even if he makes the team he steadily improves, if he doesn't, he may not may not be in the organization for long.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Boulette Cannon

I'm sure management had a good talk with Kyle explaining the situation. If he gets through this without complaining and keeps on giving 110% each game, he will stay with the habs for a long time and become an essential part of our core.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

One thing that should not be underestimated is that he is known to be a very good character guy. I'm sure that Gainey will go the extra mile to try and make him a spot after this year's contracts are up. As we saw last night, he reads the play very well and is always in good position even in a less familiar position.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

I' m pretty sure he is more NHL ready than A.J. Thelen (12th overall),
Kris Chucko (24th overall), Mark Fristric (28th overall), Andy Rogers (30th overall) and the 3/4 of the players the habs could have selected instead

:Teaaaatch:

Last edited by Iwishihadacup: 10-21-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
I think its a good move. No matter how much i lik Chipchura, he doesn`t have a spot on this team this season (except if he turns into a phenominal payer, which he hasn't just yet).

Lapierre wont be sent down because he has tobe waived (and he will get picked up)
Dandenault wont be waived because depth is important and he hasn`t been all that bad at the moment. Same for Begin.
There is no use in trowing away a player just to put Chipchura in when we can just as easily give Chipchura more playing time in Hamilton, and keep the dept and chemistry in our team.
Begin had another bone headed penalty in a close game, just like the playoffs...only begin can turn a two min penalty to 4 mins

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:21 PM
wolfinhabsclothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post

If the Habs decide to go with three offensive lines for the forseeable future - which seems the case - I wouldn't look for Chips to be the 3rd line center any time soon. He's never going to be a point producer at the NHL level. He certainly has a great work ethic, and good hockey sense, but given our depth I don't see him panning out to be anything more than a 4th liner.

This year he's the victim of a numbers game - he's the only one who can be sent down, benefit from it somewhat, and not have to clear waivers. Next year will be his make/break year in the organization. Presumably, Brisebois, Bouillon (maybe), Dandenault, Begin, Kostopoulos, and Lang (maybe) will be gone - Chips should be able to make the team, despite the presence of Maxwell, Stewart, D'Agostini, and Pacioretty - if he can't, he'll likely be traded or claimed on waivers when sent down.

I wish him nothing but the best, but he just might be able to make a better living as a Nashville Predator (for example) than a Montreal Canadien.

PS - I thought he played great last night - Chips going down just shows how deep we really are.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Tim Wallach

I was 100% certain of this announcement today. Why? For the one reason almost everyone is missing: CAP!

It's just the law of the land in the NHL these days. Every day he spends on the NHL roster, his NHL salary counts against the cap. Thus, on paper only, it makes sense to send him down during the week. It sounds petty, but it's the way the NHL works now. Those extra dollars under the cap could come in handy at deadline time.

Pretty much any GM worth his salt is doing that these days. Letting a guy like Chips sit on the NHL payroll for 5 off days is nothing more than wasted cap room, as insignificant as it may seem.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
The mere fact that he was called up to play on the wing instead of natural wingers such as d'Agostini and Pacioretty seems to belie the notion that he has no future in Montréal.

For once, I agree with you.

Quote:
Not being able to crack our lineup and not being able to crack other lineups are 2 different things..

How can we know ? Chipchura hasn't been in any other line-up, except the Habs one as I know...

Sure, he might make some bottom teams like Los Angeles, Toronto, Florida, Atlanta, NY Islanders, Columbus, etc. but he's far from a lock in teams like Nashville, Buffalo, Boston, Anaheim, Vancouver, Calgary, Tampa Bay, Washington, New Jersey, St-Louis and so on...

Like I said before, Chipchura will probably travel up and down through his entire career, because he doesn't bring anything special to a team. For now, it's exactly what is happening to him.

If he would be as good as most people say, he would've already been a regular player in this team a few years ago when the team wasn't that deep...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
For once, I agree with you.

How can we know ? Chipchura hasn't been in any other line-up, except the Habs one as I know...

Sure, he might make some bottom teams like Los Angeles, Toronto, Florida, Atlanta, NY Islanders, Columbus, etc. but he's far from a lock in teams like Nashville, Buffalo, Boston, Anaheim, Vancouver, Calgary, Tampa Bay, Washington, New Jersey, St-Louis and so on...

Like I said before, Chipchura will probably travel up and down through his entire career, because he doesn't bring anything special to a team. For now, it's exactly what is happening to him.

If he would be as good as most people say, he would've already been a regular player in this team a few years ago when the team wasn't that deep...

ok now, just dare answering my facts

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
habfan4

Quote:
blah... blah... blah...

How many prospects (not phenoms) could crack the Habs top 9?

What percentage of NHL draftees need a few years in the minors to perfect their games?

Which of the following players can be sent to Hamilton without having to clear waivers? Laraque? Begin? Dandenault? Lapierre? or Chipchura?

Put the answers to these questions together and then you'll have the a decent handle on why Kyle Chipchura is not a full time member of the Canadiens.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Holy cow, where do you come up with this stuff? So did you say the same thing when Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn both spent 3 years in the AHL, or is it just your hate for one player?

Did you watch the game last night, did Chipchura play well and look NHL ready to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinhabsclothing View Post
If the Habs decide to go with three offensive lines for the forseeable future - which seems the case - I wouldn't look for Chips to be the 3rd line center any time soon. He's never going to be a point producer at the NHL level. He certainly has a great work ethic, and good hockey sense, but given our depth I don't see him panning out to be anything more than a 4th liner.
I think he should be a 4th liner with us next year, but I do think his offense is underrated. That said I dont' think he'll ever be known for his flashy play and scoring abilities, he can dish the puck well though. As for his future with us, who's to say what the make up of this team will be next year and beyond since at this point we have only a small handful of forwards signed. Granted I'm sure Gainey will address this, but until it's done we can't say for sure who will be back and how our roster will shape up.

Quote:

If he would be as good as most people say, he would've already been a regular player in this team a few years ago when the team wasn't that deep
This is pure gold. So he should have made the team a few years ago, despite the fact that he had a freak injury that cost him an entire season of development? Or should he have made the team in his first pro season? Did Pleks suck cause he spent 3 years in the AHL?

As for Chipchura not bringing anything special to the team, I suggest you need to learn how evaluate players better.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:41 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
No, but you COULD waive Dandenault.
Bingo!

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:33 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
I unfortunately don't see this. The lovefest for Dandenault, the supposed 14th forward, is so great that I don't see how a Chipchura could end up being top 12. Unless a big trade is coming.....
While I agree with you that Dandenault seems to have right now the edge over Chipchura,

A lot of things can change by the end of this season...

Remember last year:

after the first ten games:

Dandenault was great on the fourth line
Gorges was in the pressbox
Chipchura was great on the fourth line
Grabovski was still on the big club
Lapierre and Kostitsyn was on the farm club
Huet was our number one goaltender
Halak was in the AHL
O'Byrne was on the farm club
Ryder wasn't good
Kostopoulos was useless

While Ryder was still not good the others things changed.

By the end of the year

Gorges was a great revalation
Grabovski, Chipchura was in Hamilton
Lapierre, Kostitsyn was NHL regular
Begin was heathy scratches
Huet was traded
Dandenault was useless
O'Byrne was still on the big club
Kostopoulos was good on the fourth line

ETC ETC.

I'm noy saying Chipchura is going to be a regular a and Dandy going to be out of the lineup..

But a lot can be done by the end of the year...

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
One thing about Dandenault, by waiving him you are essentially taking on his entire salary for the year. He probably goes down then gets called up possibly being claimed. When he gets claimed, you are stuck with 50% of his cap hit and can't get rid of it. This way if he plays well early on, maybe a team has a few injuries and needs a veteran forward/d-man and offers a mid round pick, that's 2 mil off the cap that can be used at midseason.

If you send him down his cap hit is off your books. And you don't have to call him back up.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:58 PM
compile

vCash: 611
He's down to play not to sit.
I have a feeling A.Kosti won't be playing on Saturday.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Oh please!! What about his backcheck last night in the 2nd period that prevented a goal? If he doesn't bring anything special, why did Brent Sutter choose him as Captain for a Team Canada WJC team that won Gold? The only reason he's a regular on the Hamilton-Montreal shuttle is because he's still young enough that we don't lose him to waivers by sending him down and by recalling him.

Your irresponsible comments are reprehensible.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote