HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty finds AHL is a huge step !

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
  #1
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Pacioretty finds AHL is a huge step !

http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/262034.html

According to Don Lever, Pacioretty finds the step to the AHL higher than he expected, and he is kind of frustrated.

So much for people who thought that Pac was NHL-ready and should had stayed at NHL level and Latendresse should had been sent down to the minors !

He might be ready in 40 games, or even next season. But he is not right now. It is pro hockey and he's gonna have to play more than 35 games a year.

In the meantime, an undrafted, smallish center with one year at pro level is doing quite well: David Desharnais. For some resons, he might never play at NHL level, but he is definitely trying his best.

Lever is also very pleased with Maxwell, Weber and White


Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 10-21-2008 at 04:00 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:48 PM
  #2
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/262034.html

According to Don Lever, Pacioretty finds the step to the AHL higher than he expected, and he is kind of frustrated.

So much for people who thought that Pac was NHL-ready and should had stayed at NHL level and Latendresse should had been sent down to the minors !

He might be ready in 40 games, or even next season. But he is not right now. It is pro hockey and he's gonna have to play more than 35 games a year.
I hate to say I told you so...

In all seriousness, it's not uncommon for young players to struggle a bit after the disapointment of being sent down. I think Max will be fine, he just needs to get used to the league and pro life. He has all the tools and even if he needs 2 years AHL, we still have D'Angostini and Chipchura knocking at the door.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
  #3
Belso
Registered User
 
Belso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,699
vCash: 500
No surprise here. He was used to young inexperienced College students. Now he has to face more game games a week and guys how know every trick in the book... He'll adjust with time...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:52 PM
  #4
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
who would have guessed that he needed more time

and yet so many wanted him with the habs. he is in the right place, where he will get to play the most and learn from his mistakes and improve his game.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
  #5
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
No surprise here. He was used to young inexperienced College students. Now he has to face more game games a week and guys how know every trick in the book... He'll adjust with time...
I am sure of that.

It is just that you can't judge the "readiness" of a young player only on training camp et pre-season games. It took 2 years to Lats to reach some kind of potential, and he has still lots to do.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
  #6
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Such a bust

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:53 PM
  #7
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/262034.html

According to Don Lever, Pacioretty finds the step to the AHL higher than he expected, and he is kind of frustrated.

So much for people who thought that Pac was NHL-ready and should had stayed at NHL level and Latendresse should had been sent down to the minors !

He might be ready in 40 games, or even next season. But he is not right now. It is pro hockey and he's gonna have to play more than 35 games a year.

In the meantime, an undrafted, smallish center with one year at pro level is doing quite well: David Desharnais. For some resons, he might never play at NHL level, but he is definitely trying his best.

Glad to see Deharnais is doing that well.

He'll have a great career in Europe in a few years, IMO.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
  #8
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Such a bust
Whjat are u talking about ? No one here said he was a bust....

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
  #9
Artyukhin*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,831
vCash: 500
i hope he doesnt take back off to russia

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:00 PM
  #10
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,464
vCash: 500
I think Latendresse couldn't handle the jump either. He is just starting to become what we have expected. I think Pacman in the AHL will improve his skill faster than what Lats has accomplished. This is not a Lats bash just pointing out that skipping a level of play can stunt your growth.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:06 PM
  #11
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I think Latendresse couldn't handle the jump either. He is just starting to become what we have expected. I think Pacman in the AHL will improve his skill faster than what Lats has accomplished. This is not a Lats bash just pointing out that skipping a level of play can stunt your growth.
Maybe who Latendresse is playing with this year has more to do with it than his past, various line-mates. I'm not a Lats fanboy myself, but maybe look at his big picture a little more objectively and you'll see it's not similar to Max Pac at all. Will Patches be a bust if he spends a whole year in the AHL and then only scores 16 goals in his possible first NHL season as a 20 year-old?

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:12 PM
  #12
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,319
vCash: 613
He's also been ''cut'' from a team for the first time, it's probably a shock.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:14 PM
  #13
Quagmier
Registered User
 
Quagmier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Linemates are everything for a guy like Pacioretty IMO.

When he was playing preseason, he was flying on the wing with guys like Kovalev and Lang, and getting fed tape to tape by guys like Markov and Hamrlik. Granted he still performed well on a line with Maxwell and Dags, but his true breakout game came when he got a call on the top line.

This year in the A is all about learning to manufacture his own chances. I still believe that he could come up to the Show, play on one of the top 3 lines if someone gets injured and be a solid threat night in night out...but playing with lesser teammates, as well as against lesser opposition, allows MaxPac to explore his game and finetune what does and doesn't work for him.

The AHL is a harder jump than preseason for this reason, and it will be an important step for him to take, much like it was for guys like Higgins and Plekanec. I'm sure he will remember this season when, be it next year or the year after, he's playing with elite talent and getting passes he wouldn't dream of getting in the A.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:18 PM
  #14
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Whjat are u talking about ? No one here said he was a bust....
Was the sarcasm in his post that hard to detect?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:11 PM
  #15
lou4gehrig
Registered User
 
lou4gehrig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,127
vCash: 500
I mean what 19 year old wouldn't say the same thing? It's just "pro-speak" saying the politically correct thing. Do you expect him to say "I'm so much better than these guys and this league, it's so easy?" He just being respectful to his teammates, coaches, opponents.

I don't think it's at all indicative of where he is and where we expect him to be. The simple fact the Habs sent him down there in the first place is a sign of where he is in his development.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
  #16
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Oh well Glumac is tearing things up with 3 goals in 4 games. Whole new bandwagon for some folks to jump on

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:27 PM
  #17
AllCanadienFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/262034.html

Lever is also very pleased with Maxwell, Weber and White
From what I,ve seen Maxwell and D'Agostini(sp) have been the most effective. Weber at this point is one dimensional, power play, but I'm sure he will improve.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
  #18
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Linemates are everything for a guy like Pacioretty IMO.

When he was playing preseason, he was flying on the wing with guys like Kovalev and Lang, and getting fed tape to tape by guys like Markov and Hamrlik. Granted he still performed well on a line with Maxwell and Dags, but his true breakout game came when he got a call on the top line.

This year in the A is all about learning to manufacture his own chances. I still believe that he could come up to the Show, play on one of the top 3 lines if someone gets injured and be a solid threat night in night out...but playing with lesser teammates, as well as against lesser opposition, allows MaxPac to explore his game and finetune what does and doesn't work for him.

The AHL is a harder jump than preseason for this reason, and it will be an important step for him to take, much like it was for guys like Higgins and Plekanec. I'm sure he will remember this season when, be it next year or the year after, he's playing with elite talent and getting passes he wouldn't dream of getting in the A.
I think your analysis is spot on, I think the fact that Patches also played with excellent senior linemates last season may also factor in the situation, and I think "learning to manufacture his own chances" is also what lacked in Latendresse development up to this season.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
  #19
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Oh well Glumac is tearing things up with 3 goals in 4 games. Whole new bandwagon for some folks to jump on
IMHO, Desharnais is the one who should start getting some serious attention, especially if he keeps it up like that.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
  #20
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/262034.html

According to Don Lever, Pacioretty finds the step to the AHL higher than he expected, and he is kind of frustrated.

So much for people who thought that Pac was NHL-ready and should had stayed at NHL level and Latendresse should had been sent down to the minors !

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:54 PM
  #21
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,571
vCash: 500
I haven't been too impressed with him so far but I thought he played his best game on Saturday night. Figures that neulion which does the webcasts for Hamilton games, has only the first 3 games archived but of course my luck the best game so far I can't rewatch. Maybe the fight he had will wake him up a bit.

I'm hoping at some point Lever puts him on a line with Maxwell, I think they could do well together. At some point I hope Lever tries Pac Maxwell D'Ago they sure would have some speed and scoring potential.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:31 PM
  #22
Habskrieg
Registered User
 
Habskrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Armenia
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
I'm part f those who think it would be nice to see pacman a few times during the season, like 5-10 games maybe, just as eye candy, even if he doesn't do too well.
He's having a hard time? Good this way either he folds, or he gets better. With all the talk about him, seems like he'll take the steps necessary to improve.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
  #23
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
Glad to see Deharnais is doing that well.

He'll have a great career in Europe in a few years, IMO.
No way! he's not soft and slow like Locke.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
  #24
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst View Post
No way! he's not soft and slow like Locke.
a PM Bouchard maybe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Such a bust
a bust and a

Hope Gainey will try to trade him before it'll be too late to get a return .

Timmins


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-22-2008 at 02:30 AM.
goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:57 PM
  #25
KaTaKlIsM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I haven't been too impressed with him so far but I thought he played his best game on Saturday night. Figures that neulion which does the webcasts for Hamilton games, has only the first 3 games archived but of course my luck the best game so far I can't rewatch. Maybe the fight he had will wake him up a bit.

I'm hoping at some point Lever puts him on a line with Maxwell, I think they could do well together. At some point I hope Lever tries Pac Maxwell D'Ago they sure would have some speed and scoring potential.
sometimes i'm wondering if Lever doesnt do it on purpose... everybody knows that their was a great chemistry between the two during development and the camp...

KaTaKlIsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.