HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

George brings a balance to the Force!

Old
10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
LesCanadiens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli24 View Post
Have been a Flyers and Canadiens fan since I was a little kid. My mom used to read me hockey books and started to love the stories about Beliveau, Cournoyer, Dryden, etc. I also started collecting hockey cards when I was around 5 or 6 years old and one of my favorite cards of all-time was this old O-Pee-Chee Bunny Larocque card. Have loved the Canadiens ever since. Every year myself and a couple of friends try to make it to Montreal just to go to a game and enjoy the great city. This year we are coming up April 8th - 12th and seeing the Leafs and Caps at Bell Centre.

Now thats a rare combo . Cool story though...nice to see. The Habs had so many unique and colorful players...that is how I became a life-long fan too. The class of Beliveau...the toughness of Ferguson....the Roadrunner burning full speed on a breakaway.....names like Marc Tardif, Jaques Laperriere, Big Bird, The Flower....Dryden leaning on the stick, etc etc. Was so much fun following this club all those years ago.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Now thats a rare combo . Cool story though...nice to see. The Habs had so many unique and colorful players...that is how I became a life-long fan too. The class of Beliveau...the toughness of Ferguson....the Roadrunner burning full speed on a breakaway.....names like Marc Tardif, Jaques Laperriere, Big Bird, The Flower....Dryden leaning on the stick, etc etc. Was so much fun following this club all those years ago.
Tell me about it! What's even crazier is that I am a Chelios fan (who was playing for the Habs when he plasted Brian Propp of the Flyers). Although I was angry at the hit, I have always been a fan of both Chelios and Propp. My Philly peeps don't understand. I remember in the mid-80s watching playoff games on TV between the Flyers and Habs and loving the light blue bumpers on the bottom of the Forum boards and the organist playing "The Final Countdown" by Europe. By far my two favorite teams, Flyers and Habs. Flames and Oilers would be my other favorites.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
So because you disagree with the opinion that a serious heavy weight can go a long way toward preventing cheap shots, then people are delusional?

It's very odd that you cite an incident where a cheap shot occured on a Montreal player as if that somehow 'proves' that having a heavy weight won't reduce those incidents.

For the record, I think you're dead wrong on this. To me it's quite obvious that having a heavy weight dramatically cuts down these incidents. Talk to any player in the league and they will tell you the presence of a big time bruiser in the line up changes the way they play in the corners, how much relish they put on a hit, and how much time they spend pushing and shoving after the whistle.

But you can pretend it doesn't.

However, that's not what you're even responding to. You're citing an incident from the 2002 playoffs as if that somehow 'proves' that a heavy weight makes these things go away. No, that's not how it works. They fight, they don't perform "magic tricks." It would require magic, or perhaps a voodoo spell, to make players not make heat of the moment plays where sticks or elbows get up, or guys get rear-ended, etc. What having a player like Larque will cut down on, in a big way, are guys like Ryan Holleweg, Darcy Tucker and Steve Downie - guys who play like punks and are loose and fast with the rules and low on respect for their opponents.

If you don't think guys like that adjust their game when they play against a club that has a guy like Laraque in their lineup, all I can say is I couldn't disagree with you more. And if you don't think that adjustment in their game dramatically cuts down on cheapshots, spears, late hits and other things, again, I simply couldn't disagree with you more.

But then again, what do I know... I'm delusional.

i agree on the above,

as i stated before

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote