HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What now?

Old
10-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Chainsaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Trade Knuble and maybe someone else for a defenseman, and bring up Giroux or Nodl
Giroux has been less that ordinary for the Phantoms, he deserves nothing handed to him. Mattsumpotto deserves to be called up then Nodl.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 06:37 AM
WolfHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Who? Jones and rookie Parent..

Is that what you call a lot of injuries? If Flyers can not replace those players we deserve to be in last place.
3 good defensemen are injured so yea it kind of cuts a whole in the defense. Hatcher, Parent, and Jones need to come back. But then again Hatcher is pretty old.

WolfHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Cut stevens, his **** just isn't working out. hire pat burns or ted nolan and establish a system/identity. play players in their designated positions. oh and cut Knuble...he's tired. here's my lines.
gagne-briere-lupul/hartnell - cash money scoring line, lupul is here to score
nodl-carter-hartnell/lupul - capable secondary scoring line
upshall-richards-cote - fast and tough checking line with at least 2 scoring threats (also, i think there is more to cote's game)
asham-metro-downie/ross - gritty 4th line (im not too keen on metro or asham just yet. downie is a maniac and a liability maybe phantom bound)
As for defence, we are beat up but team d, not indiviual names win games. good defensive teams help the goalie (goaltender support via limited shots on net, quality of shots etc) we have the ingredients (no pun intended)
timonen-coburn the best d get the most minutes
sbisa-parent for now vananen/eminger-sbisa (this kid can flat out play, age be damned)
Jones-vananen/eminger/kukks/alberts this line gets all the sloppy seconds or thirds as it were.
thoughts?

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:40 AM
BruiseBros

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
maybe someone can help me on this subject but, why was murray let go back in the day?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But wasn't he fired after the '97 finals against the Wings because, when the Flyers went down 0-3, he said publicly his team was "choking"?

BruiseBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Cut stevens, his **** just isn't working out. hire pat burns or ted nolan and establish a system/identity. play players in their designated positions. oh and cut Knuble...he's tired. here's my lines.
gagne-briere-lupul/hartnell - cash money scoring line, lupul is here to score
nodl-carter-hartnell/lupul - capable secondary scoring line
upshall-richards-cote - fast and tough checking line with at least 2 scoring threats (also, i think there is more to cote's game)
asham-metro-downie/ross - gritty 4th line (im not too keen on metro or asham just yet. downie is a maniac and a liability maybe phantom bound)
As for defence, we are beat up but team d, not indiviual names win games. good defensive teams help the goalie (goaltender support via limited shots on net, quality of shots etc) we have the ingredients (no pun intended)
timonen-coburn the best d get the most minutes
sbisa-parent for now vananen/eminger-sbisa (this kid can flat out play, age be damned)
Jones-vananen/eminger/kukks/alberts this line gets all the sloppy seconds or thirds as it were.
thoughts?

You can't bury your best center and one of your best playmakers on the third line....

Richards should be paired with lupul. Those 2 would benefit from each other a lot

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I know its been talked about before but what do you guys think it would take to get a guy like Halak from the habs. Its going to be hard for them to really demand a ton because every team knows Price is the goalie of the future for them so its not like they can say they want a centerpiece back for a centerpiece when he really isnt in their plans. he has to be a guy they will look to move at some point right?

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I know its been talked about before but what do you guys think it would take to get a guy like Halak from the habs. Its going to be hard for them to really demand a ton because every team knows Price is the goalie of the future for them so its not like they can say they want a centerpiece back for a centerpiece when he really isnt in their plans. he has to be a guy they will look to move at some point right?
A young goalie with some upside, who is cheap against the cap and a RFA at the end of his current contract (following next season)? Everyone needs a strong backup and a cheap one at that...There's almost no incentive for them to deal him right now.

So, yes, they could demand a fair amount if they wanted to.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
Giroux has been less that ordinary for the Phantoms, he deserves nothing handed to him. Mattsumpotto deserves to be called up then Nodl.
Nodl had the better preseason though.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
A young goalie with some upside, who is cheap against the cap and a RFA at the end of his current contract (following next season)? Everyone needs a strong backup and a cheap one at that...There's almost no incentive for them to deal him right now.

So, yes, they could demand a fair amount if they wanted to.
I know they could demand somethign decent obviously but its not liekt hey have a 30 year old starter and they could claim they want to move forward with the young guy in a year or two after signing him to yet another cheap contract. They dont need to move him yet but what do you think it would take to pry him away from them...and do you think it would be a good pickup over what we have?

Old
10-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
I know they could demand somethign decent obviously but its not liekt hey have a 30 year old starter and they could claim they want to move forward with the young guy in a year or two after signing him to yet another cheap contract. They dont need to move him yet but what do you think it would take to pry him away from them...and do you think it would be a good pickup over what we have?
I'm not sure Halak has proven he's anything more than Nitty...and definitely not any better than Biron. If I was Montreal I'd ask for a fair amount in return, because, while you're right that they can't say they are going to use him anytime soon, they also have zero incentive to move him. Thus, you have to make it worth their while. That means a non-trivial price for a young unproven goalie.

I'd rather use those assets to trade for defensemen.

Old
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not sure Halak has proven he's anything more than Nitty...and definitely not any better than Biron. If I was Montreal I'd ask for a fair amount in return, because, while you're right that they can't say they are going to use him anytime soon, they also have zero incentive to move him. Thus, you have to make it worth their while. That means a non-trivial price for a young unproven goalie.

I'd rather use those assets to trade for defensemen.
But at the same time at the trade dealine, if we arent looking to be in the mix they might be looking to add some more depth or firepower for a cup run. Maybe Upshall or Nodl of he plays well when hes up will land him? That might be somethign they would want to add, some depth of a strong 3rd liner and both of them being young and nodl with big upside for a goalie that mgith not see a minute of playoff time.

I know hes not proven but at this point we might want to take a shot if in a few months we look like we might be out of a playoff spot. He hasnt proven to be bettery than Nitty but we know what nitty is and Halak has much more potential than him and even biron and it would be nice to get one young to have for a while.

Old
10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
But at the same time at the trade dealine, if we arent looking to be in the mix they might be looking to add some more depth or firepower for a cup run. Maybe Upshall or Nodl of he plays well when hes up will land him? That might be somethign they would want to add, some depth of a strong 3rd liner and both of them being young and nodl with big upside for a goalie that mgith not see a minute of playoff time.

I know hes not proven but at this point we might want to take a shot if in a few months we look like we might be out of a playoff spot. He hasnt proven to be bettery than Nitty but we know what nitty is and Halak has much more potential than him and even biron and it would be nice to get one young to have for a while.
A year removed from getting blasted for trading away Huet...they're not going to be looking to move their backup this year to add elsewhere if he keeps up his early start.

You need that backup goalie...badly.

Old
10-21-2008, 12:54 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Theres not.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHound View Post
3 good defensemen are injured so yea it kind of cuts a whole in the defense. Hatcher, Parent, and Jones need to come back. But then again Hatcher is pretty old.
you may as well join our coaching staff.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Theres not.
That might be the worst line ever assembled on paper.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruiseBros View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But wasn't he fired after the '97 finals against the Wings because, when the Flyers went down 0-3, he said publicly his team was "choking"?
yeah i think that's about right. Well, i mean the guy had to be doing something right. After all, that was our last trip to the finals.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote