HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Phoenix Coyotes-Colorado Avalanche *PROPOSAL*

Old
10-21-2008, 06:17 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Phoenix Coyotes-Colorado Avalanche *PROPOSAL*

To PHX:
Daniel Tjarnqvist

To COL:
David Hale

----------------

Phoenix needs a safer partner for Keith Yandle, who while possessing tremendous offensive upside, is prone to terrible blunders. Hale's physical game is appreciated, but he's having a difficult time minimizing Yandle's many mistakes. Hale is a tough, gritty kid, but not quite solid enough to be paired with Yandle, and not quite good enough to get more minutes on a higher pairing. He grew up in Colorado Springs, and played for Colorado High, before moving on to the USHL, and eventually UND. Good skater, willing to stick up for his teammates, consistantly physical, meat and potatos, bottom pairing/reserve defenseman.

Tjarnqvist signed in Colorado this summer, but has been a healthy scratch in all six of their games. He is five years Hale's senior, makes slightly more, but has one less year left on his contract(Hale is also signed for next season). Is a Swede, and might not only be a good hand holder for Keith Yandle, but also a mentor for young Jonas Ahnelov, a 20 year old, Swedish, rookie defenseman, whom is still with the big club, and the Coyotes hope to groom into a solid defensive defenseman, much like Tjarnqvist. Phoenix could also use another defenseman capable of helping out on the penalty kill. Something Tjarnqvist has done plenty of in the past.

Perhaps Phoenix might need to add a pick, or something, since Colorado really doesn't have any reason to do this, other than possibly as a favor to Tjarnqvist who probably didnt' sign with the Avs just to watch the games from the press box. Unless, of course, they are looking for a little more bite on the blueline, which I think Hale provides more than would Tjarnqvist.

10-21-2008, 06:45 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Colorado has plenty of physical guys, we don't really need another one.

Tjarnqvist's job is to make sure we can let Cumiskey get some playing time (even if it's AHL) so he has somewhere to develop

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
Hale's a Colorado native and it'd be nice in that regard to see him as an Av, but that's about it. Colorado doesn't need to do this, and Tjärnqvist will see plenty of ice time once Leopold goes down with his annual injury.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:52 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
Tjarnqvist's job is to make sure we can let Cumiskey get some playing time (even if it's AHL) so he has somewhere to develop
To be fair, considering both Hale and Tjarnqvist are defensemen, this trade wouldn't really affect that.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:53 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Hale's a Colorado native and it'd be nice in that regard to see him as an Av, but that's about it. Colorado doesn't need to do this, and Tjärnqvist will see plenty of ice time once Leopold goes down with his annual injury.
This proposal is definitely premature. Perhaps things would be different if we were twenty games in, with Tjarnqvist watching eighteen of them from the press box, and all the Colorado defenders looking quite healthy.

Old
10-21-2008, 07:40 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
This proposal is definitely premature. Perhaps things would be different if we were twenty games in, with Tjarnqvist watching eighteen of them from the press box, and all the Colorado defenders looking quite healthy.
yeah, it's a situational trade definitely...

if say salei or foote goes down for an extended period, then yeah maybe... but as for right now, no real point...

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:47 PM
chewey
dmitri

So, Colorado will trade a defenseman who is scratched until a player goes down for a worse defenseman.
Potential top 4 dman for a potential top 6.

Colorado already has the grit, and toughness so this is pointless.
Really, colorado has no reason to this at all.

If the draft pick was high, then they may consider it but I don't think PHX would give anything higher than a 4th.

PHX does this in a heartbeat COL gets screwed.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:03 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyori View Post
So, Colorado will trade a defenseman who is scratched until a player goes down for a worse defenseman.
Potential top 4 dman for a potential top 6.

Colorado already has the grit, and toughness so this is pointless.
Really, colorado has no reason to this at all.

If the draft pick was high, then they may consider it but I don't think PHX would give anything higher than a 4th.

PHX does this in a heartbeat COL gets screwed.
Potential top 4? Let's get real, here. How many veteren, potential top four defenseman signed one-year, 750K deals as unrestricted free agents, this last off-season? Maybe Tjarnqvist is better than Hale, he probably is, otherwise I probably wouldn't have made this proposal. Let's not get carried away, though. Jeff Finger is a second pairing defenseman. Look at the deal he got. Tjarnqvist is a bottom pairing defender. So is Hale.

I realize there isn't really motivation for Colorado to do this deal at this point. I already conceded to jumping the gun on the proposal. However, Tjarnqvist is a veteren and he didn't come back to the NHL to get scratched everynight. Perhaps, down the road, if the Avs remain injury free, they might do him a solid and deal him for a reserve. As far as reserves go, Hale is pretty good. He's scrappy, he's a local kid, and he'll accept his role. If TQ remains a scratch everynight, he won't have much value. Hale and pick could be a decent enough return, at that hypothetical fantasy point, I've dreamed up in my crazy, stupid, little mind.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
voxel

D.Tjarnqvist was pretty good with the Oilers in his last NHL stint, but had hip problems. I'd say he's top-4 insurance.

Hale shouldn't even be in the NHL (saw him plenty with the Flames) so the Yotes need to add something.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
D.Tjarnqvist was pretty good with the Oilers in his last NHL stint, but had hip problems. I'd say he's top-4 insurance.

Hale shouldn't even be in the NHL (saw him plenty with the Flames) so the Yotes need to add something.
From what I saw of Hale with the Flames, he was pretty bad. So far, with Phoenix, he's not as bad as I expected. He's just miscast. With a steadier partner, he could be pretty good. He's not bad at moving the puck, he skates well, and he's consistantly physical. You are probably right, though, about Phoenix needing to add something. I suggested perhaps they add a pick, in my original post. Anyway, as has been stated earlier in this thread, I've gotten ahead of myself here, anyhow.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Does Phoenix still have Daniel's brother Mathias in the system? I remember Dallas dealing him to the Yotes in the Nagy deal (ugh), but lost track of him after that. Would be cool if the brothers united on that team.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Does Phoenix still have Daniel's brother Mathias in the system? I remember Dallas dealing him to the Yotes in the Nagy deal (ugh), but lost track of him after that. Would be cool if the brothers united on that team.
I didn't even know they were brothers. Unfortunately, Phoenix let Matthias walk as a UFA, this summer. A shame. He was a fantastic penalty killer, a real hard worker, and a gritty shot-blocker. He has really good defensive instincts, and probably could've ended up a valuable member of an NHL team had he not been burried in Phoenix. It's a shame Don Maloney opted to sign Todd Fedoruk and David Hale rather than the Brothers Tjarnqvist. I think we'd have been better off with the Swedes.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:55 PM
NHL33*

rt, you can never have too much depth. Even if we stay healthy on the blue line come the trading deadline, I still wouldn't do it. It's a no-go on Colorado's side but nothing outrageous or anything...like you said, Colorado doesn't have an incentive to do this and I'd rather keep Tjarnqvist as that injury security instead of trading for a mid-level pick.

Sure, it'd be great for Tjarnqvist to get more time but at the same time it'd be great for us to have him on the bench "just in case" as well. We all know someone's going to go down soon enough (hopefully not!), anyways.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I didn't even know they were brothers. Unfortunately, Phoenix let Matthias walk as a UFA, this summer. A shame. He was a fantastic penalty killer, a real hard worker, and a gritty shot-blocker. He has really good defensive instincts, and probably could've ended up a valuable member of an NHL team had he not been burried in Phoenix. It's a shame Don Maloney opted to sign Todd Fedoruk and David Hale rather than the Brothers Tjarnqvist. I think we'd have been better off with the Swedes.
Yep, Daniel's the elder Tjarnqvist.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

I am an Avs fan and I don't think it is bad value wise. There is no real reason to make the deal right now for the Avs but I think it is a decent proposal.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote