Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giordano?

Old
10-15-2008, 07:11 AM
YouAreStupid

vCash: 500
Giordano?

I noticed Gio only had 13 mins of ice yesterday. Did he get hurt or something?

YouAreStupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
guzzy

no he moved up on the play in the neutral zone for a big hit. The puck still moved forward and Colorado scored the 3rd goal. Brutal play

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 01:26 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
no he moved up on the play in the neutral zone for a big hit. The puck still moved forward and Colorado scored the 3rd goal. Brutal play
Yeah he pulled a Tim Ramholt out there.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Lunatik*

hopefully Keenan has clued in and realized Phaneuf + Giordano = STUPID

the guy has never been a full time NHLer and Keenan puts him with Phaneuf?... a defenseman who like Giordano pinches at the wrong time sometimes... horrible combination... that is also one of the biggest problems we had with Eriksson being paired with Phaneuf

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 04:26 PM
workedforme

I actually like the pairing, at least/especially on the PP. Gio has been good on the point, making fast smart decisions, and is better than any of our other options on the first line PP.

As for even strength, give him a little more time, again, it's not like we have any better options, unless people have forgotten how brutal Dion and Regher are together...

workedforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 06:58 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Giordano/Phaneuf just isn't a pairing I am comfortable with 5 on 5. Thought once Vandermeer moved up to play with Phaneuf the defence seemed to play a bit better. Love what Gio brings to the PP unit. Don't think he is ready for top 4 minutes even strength yet.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Ticonderoga
For the Watch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
hopefully Keenan has clued in and realized Phaneuf + Giordano = STUPID

the guy has never been a full time NHLer and Keenan puts him with Phaneuf?... a defenseman who like Giordano pinches at the wrong time sometimes... horrible combination... that is also one of the biggest problems we had with Eriksson being paired with Phaneuf
Tell me who on the defence then can feed Phaneuf the puck better then Gio right now.

I have been luke warm to his defensive play, but he is far better then I remember him being. Phaneuf makes mistakes like this lots when going for the big hit lets cut Gio some slack.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:02 AM
ComixZone

I like Gio + Dion if only because Gio's "stupid plays" will make Dion wise up and try and compensate for Gio, thus making Dion a better overall defenceman as he has time to work on defensive zone coverage.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 10:56 PM
cross16

Gio is just not a top 4 dman. I was concerned and suprised when I saw him play over 20 mins. Wether it be with Phaneuf or Regehr its just not his role. Play a 5/6 type role, move the puck and play the PP and you use Gio most effectively.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 12:02 AM
The Gaud Father

I like the new pairings now.

Vandermeer-Phaneuf
Regehr-Aucoin
Giordano-Sarich

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:47 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
I like the new pairings now.

Vandermeer-Phaneuf
Regehr-Aucoin
Giordano-Sarich
i'd like to see Sarich and Vandermeer swap

Old
10-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Eesh

Let me first say I'm a Canucks fan and I like the make up of the Flames this year, its going to take a little while to figure out the lines but I'm sure you guys will do well but the topic of this post is Mark Giordano .

For the life of me I can't figure out how he manages to get top 4 defensman minutes. Hes averaging almost 20 minutes a game and he is TERRIBLE. He reminds me of Brent Sopal only worse. And the sad part about it is that your coaching staff seems to like him.

Eesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eesh View Post
For the life of me I can't figure out how he manages to get top 4 defensman minutes. Hes averaging almost 20 minutes a game and he is TERRIBLE. He reminds me of Brent Sopal only worse. And the sad part about it is that your coaching staff seems to like him.
I think you have to distinguish between his offensive game and his defensive one. He has the ability to open up a play with his breakout passes and has looked well at the blueline on the PP.
His defensive game however has left much to desire so far into the season, although I'd like to add, that this is true for the whole team.
Thus said, I still agree with you and Lunatik, that Keenan seems to misuse him like he did with Eriksson last season. He isn't ready to play top-4 minutes and time will tell, if he ever will. IMO he should get plenty of time on the PP and play alongside Aucoin against the opposition's third or fourth line 5-on-5.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 12:22 PM
The Gaud Father

Is it just me or are Sarich and Vandermeer been one of our better defencemen lately? Seriously, they are very simple out there and are very calm when moving the puck. I'm actually a bit surprised with Sarich. His puck movement has been a lot better and he doesn't turn the puck over that much or takes the stupid penalties he took last year. Vandermeer, I knew could move the puck, but didn't know he was as fast as he is now.

Regehr has to step up. He isn't winning 90% of the battles down low anymore. He's losing a lot of them and doesn't dominate as much on the boards.

Phaneuf has been okay. Offensively, he's been good. Defensively, he is okay. He as an active stick and has been good on the boards. He has been terrible in front of the net, he is just watching the puck and just waits for the puck to be shot until he does something. He needs to box out the screeners and start blocking some shots.

Giordano has been awsome when moving the puck up the ice. He is very fast and I like that about him. But he seems to be having the problems that Dion had in his first year. Gio has been looking for the big hit way to often now. He is getting caught out of position a lot and it needs to stop ASAP. Although, he usually gets back in position sometimes using his speed.

Now Aucoin..I don't even want to say anything. He's 6'2 210, but it seems like he is 5'8 270. He has been turtle slow out there, he's always getting beat on the rush, can't recieve a pass, can't move people out of the way.

The D has to be better.

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
Is it just me or are Sarich and Vandermeer been one of our better defencemen lately? Seriously, they are very simple out there and are very calm when moving the puck. I'm actually a bit surprised with Sarich. His puck movement has been a lot better and he doesn't turn the puck over that much or takes the stupid penalties he took last year. Vandermeer, I knew could move the puck, but didn't know he was as fast as he is now.

Regehr has to step up. He isn't winning 90% of the battles down low anymore. He's losing a lot of them and doesn't dominate as much on the boards.

Phaneuf has been okay. Offensively, he's been good. Defensively, he is okay. He as an active stick and has been good on the boards. He has been terrible in front of the net, he is just watching the puck and just waits for the puck to be shot until he does something. He needs to box out the screeners and start blocking some shots.

Giordano has been awsome when moving the puck up the ice. He is very fast and I like that about him. But he seems to be having the problems that Dion had in his first year. Gio has been looking for the big hit way to often now. He is getting caught out of position a lot and it needs to stop ASAP. Although, he usually gets back in position sometimes using his speed.

Now Aucoin..I don't even want to say anything. He's 6'2 210, but it seems like he is 5'8 270. He has been turtle slow out there, he's always getting beat on the rush, can't recieve a pass, can't move people out of the way.

The D has to be better.

Vandermeer, not so much, but I think Sarich has been good this season. He's come back more motivated a bit faster I think. I saw some extra speed in training camp and he appears to have applied it. Been very solid IMO.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Rudolf Yaber

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
The real question is...why wasn't Conroy benched for flubbing the first two...and others in prior games this year.

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf Yaber View Post
The real question is...why wasn't Conroy benched for flubbing the first two...and others in prior games this year.
because every other forward has been just as bad?

Old
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Giordano is seeing much less ice time. His time has nearly been cut in half over the past 3 games. He has the least amount of all CGY defensemen tonite. 5 EV strength minutes and 1:45 of PP time.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Giordano is seeing much less ice time. His time has nearly been cut in half over the past 3 games. He has the least amount of all CGY defensemen tonite. 5 EV strength minutes and 1:45 of PP time.
Seeing how he defends (or better not defends) Fedorov on the first Caps' goal, I am not the least surprised at that.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote