HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu Love!

Old
10-22-2008, 01:38 AM
LesCanadiens

vCash: 500
He's such a great player....he lost a half step after his first big knee injury....otherwise matched with some half-decent wingers he'd had been easy top-10 scorer year in, year out.

His biggest flaws back then were faceoffs and D. Well guess what, he was a bit slower...so he played smarter - and still got points playing with a whole lotta riff-raff over the years...and he was determined to improve his faceoffs and defense...now he's one of the better players in both those areas. Just watch him without the puck.....he knows how to erase passing lanes and anticipate the play.

Glad to see he's finally playing with star talent again in Tanguay. Hope he retires a Hab - a Hab for life!

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:38 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
It probably won't last long, but still deserves attention. Koivu has 9 points in 6 games, and leads the league in plus/minus. This says a lot about the guy most people wrote off as over the hump with his best years behind him. Look what he's doing with his first elite winger!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm?navid=NAV|STS|Main

Go Koivu Go!!!
This is good...but where in the hell has he been the last 3-4 years? Usually he is losing key face-offs, defensive miscues awhile racking up 55 points

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I will never doubt again.. I dont remember Koivu being so energic, he looks rejunevated.. I dont know what happened, Im just so happy too see Koivu enjoying the game again and playing at his full potential.. I didnt expect it, our team is now scary, a nightmare for any teams going to face us..

Congreat Captain Courage for that incredible come back, I wish you not less than the Stanley Cup, if someone deserves it, its you and the crowd is gonna be crazy when you take it in your arms, you are gonna make a nation live some incredible emotions!

Koivu for president!

I can't wait to see what you post after he has a 0 point minus game. C'mon. You'll be talking about how Desharnais is better and should be with the team.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:32 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
My Gawd..has hell frozen over?

Old
10-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
My Gawd..has hell frozen over?
No, the leafs and bruins still suck don't worry

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:59 AM
JTWymanFan*

Actually they don't suck, have you watched them play ? Last night i watched both teams play as i had bets on them. Both teams played very well last night and ended up getting points. The leafs obviuosly will struggle to win all season, but if they play the way they did last night..who knows. The Bruins are a good team that will make the playoffs.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:09 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post

I can't wait to see what you post after he has a 0 point minus game. C'mon. You'll be talking about how Desharnais is better and should be with the team.
I will say it if he has a let down, like I do with any other players, but Koivu is actually playing like he was in his good days and I didnt think he could do it again since he has been a long time playing like a old man.. Now I know he still can do it and thats the only thing I wanna know..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

You ever think that maybe it's because Koivu actualy plays with somebody in Tanguay with a genuine talent for a change? He hasn't had the greatest linemates since he's been with the Habs. Heck I wouldn't say Higgins and Ryder were top stars. Mildly above average.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:51 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You ever think that maybe it's because Koivu actualy plays with somebody in Tanguay with a genuine talent for a change? He hasn't had the greatest linemates since he's been with the Habs. Heck I wouldn't say Higgins and Ryder were top stars. Mildly above average.
Very good point !!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
AND he's not even at his best yet apparently.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...1-5176abc34501

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
He's such a great player....he lost a half step after his first big knee injury....otherwise matched with some half-decent wingers he'd had been easy top-10 scorer year in, year out.

His biggest flaws back then were faceoffs and D. Well guess what, he was a bit slower...so he played smarter - and still got points playing with a whole lotta riff-raff over the years...and he was determined to improve his faceoffs and defense...now he's one of the better players in both those areas. Just watch him without the puck.....he knows how to erase passing lanes and anticipate the play.

Glad to see he's finally playing with star talent again in Tanguay. Hope he retires a Hab - a Hab for life!
Bingo. Koivu has definitely compensated for the disappearence of that explosive acceleration with pure smarts. Seeing him have this early success is excellent. Hopefully he can keep it up through the first half of the season. I know I'm way ahead of myself but I would absolutely love to see him get consideration for the allstar game this year!

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:11 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_Odelein View Post
Bingo. Koivu has definitely compensated for the disappearence of that explosive acceleration with pure smarts. Seeing him have this early success is excellent. Hopefully he can keep it up through the first half of the season. I know I'm way ahead of myself but I would absolutely love to see him get consideration for the allstar game this year!
Yep.........that would be something, wouldn't it?

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Pascal

He seems to be much slower than before but he's so smart on the ice it doesn't really matter. With less icetime it kinda makes up for it as well.

I don't wish anything but good things for the guy, he has been through enough **** on and off the ice in the last 10 yrs.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
AD

Koivu is actually playing way worse that even last year..

Wait till he picks it up.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

He made 75 points 2 years ago playing with higgins and ryder. I don't find it that surprising he's doing well, he's always been a good player, I never had my doubts.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:34 PM
MARKOVFTW

THE RETURN OF HOCKEYF3IND!

Koivu is money, pure money.

I heard that Carbo is gonna limit his icetime so that he still has some steam left for the playoffs (although I seem to remember him being one of our best players in the playoffs last year).

Imho we have finally found a winger for Koivu. We tried with Kovy but they didnt have any chemistry. Koivu finally has the winger he always needed in MTL.

What I'm most impressed with is his +/- rating, he seems to have really stepped it up this year.

KOIVU: yo:

Last edited by MARKOVFTW: 10-22-2008 at 12:47 PM.
MARKOVFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Well said ! Koivu never had a Guillaume Latendresse before , to complete his game .
Tanguay has nothing to do with it, it's all Latendresse, the way he completed Koivu in 2006-7 and 2007-08.

Seriously, Latendresse has done a good job this season. All Habs fans, including those who have been skeptical of Lats (including me), should be pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Latendresse has a tremendous chemestry with them, but let's be honest here : Koivu/Tanguay are the key players here. Latendresse plays an important role on this line, but replace Tanguay with, let's say, Ryder, and it's not the same thing at all.
Koivu improved his game.
Tanguay is very important to our ES play.
Latendresse is more aggressive.

5 on 5, GAS is the most dominant line in the NHL right now.
How can you say such a shocking thing?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-22-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
ari1160

saku rocks
hope he gets more points then games this season but more important hope he wins the cup.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
This is good...but where in the hell has he been the last 3-4 years? Usually he is losing key face-offs, defensive miscues awhile racking up 55 points
You mean like 06-07 when he put up a career year??

81gp 22g 53a 75pts

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
In the past 5 seasons Koivu has had 2 with 70+ points. He has had the best faceoff percentages over the past few years. Maybe you were thinking of Ribeiro. Have you forgotten the key faceoff win against the Flyers in the playoffs last season? Also, Koivu's playoff record is 45 points in 50 games, which suggests that he's a clutch player.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-22-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Phenomenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Also, Koivu's playoff record is 45 points in 50 games, which suggests that he's a clutch player.
His record from World Championships, World Cups and Olympic Games say the same:
- World Championships 39 games 51 points
- Olympics 22 games 28 points
- World Cups 10 games 8 points

All of this has come more or less in an underdog team and he has many times joined Team Finland (like this year) when all the easy games have already been played.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:33 PM
zzoo

What I like the most from Saku this year is that he hasn't taken too much hooking penalties.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Adam91

Props to Saku.

Best forward so far and with Markov the best player so far.

He seems like he has learned how to make the most of his slower speed, picking the right spots and open areas. I also think he is really pleased to be playing with a player of Tanguay's quality.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:53 PM
Iwishihadacup

I think that our depth and the great handling of Saku by Carbo is a thing that helped him getting a tremendous start, he plays less, takes less penalties so he plays better

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 05:40 PM
GoldGuardian

I have Saku in my pools, I thought he could do a lot with Tanguay and a decent forward next to them. The attention for Kovy's line helps, until the other teams will figure out that Saku's line is better. That's only my opinion, though.

GoldGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote