HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins @ Boston Bruins l 10/20 l 7 ET l NESN (HD)

Old
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
JMiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
His career high is 31. I don't think he'll reach that mark this year. He scored 22 another year and was on pace for about 24 last year. Given where he's coming from, I'd be thrilled with 20 goals this season. I don't think he's a great finisher. He's just a very solid all-around player.
I wouldn't be quick to point to his 31 goals as a 19 year old or the 3 goals in 10 games as a "24 goal pace" to set expectations for him.

If he were playing wing with Savard he could put up 40.

He may not be a GREAT finisher but to ask when he should be considered a "bad finisher" is loser talk.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
I wouldn't be quick to point to his 31 goals as a 19 year old or the 3 goals in 10 games as a "24 goal pace" to set expectations for him.

He may not be a GREAT finisher but to ask when he should be considered a "bad finisher" is loser talk.
My expectations are simply based on what he's coming back from. If he stays healthy I think he'll reach that 31 goal mark, but just not this season. Bad finisher? No. Great finisher? No.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Exactly. The B's dominated most of the game and went toe to toe with them when they weren't. Bergie's night was indicative of the whole team- they were just snakebitten a bit as a bunch.

Kessel continues to just grow in front of your eyes. Had a fantastic defensive play down low in the 3rd as well. Very impressive.

Everyone did their thing, they just weren't bouncing for them tonight. Still got a point though.

The Pens really miss Gonchar. They're just not quite as formidable a team without him back there.
They didn't have Whitney either. Its like the B's not having Chara or Wideman.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:13 PM
GoPenguins

Just wanted to give your team props for the game they played last night. Sabourin stole us 2 pts when we didnt really deserve even one, but sometimes that happens in hockey. Am sure it will happen again later in the season, and the Pens will fail to take max points in a game they were the better team.

Still, you guys have every right to be excited for this season, as your team looks to be playing great exciting hockey. If your goaltending holds up, you know you can face any East team on the ice and know you've every chance.

We may be missing Gonchar, Whitney and had Crosby at less than 100%, but I dont know if we'd have outplayed your guys last night even with everyone healthy. Kessel looks to be playing great. Hopefully he plays more with Savard, who is a superstar playmaker.

Good luck to you.

GoPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruno View Post
Did anyone else watch from Canada on FOXHD?

The Pittsburgh guys calling Kessel RICK Kessel again..

I laughed, then I cried, then he scored - so I laughed again..
I switched back and forth on the coverage. I hate the end zone camera on the PP and for the shootout, so I jumped to the Pitt guys for those times. They raved about Lucic, called him a load in the corners and on Kessel's goal said goalie couldn't see anything from behind that building.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPenguins View Post
Just wanted to give your team props for the game they played last night. Sabourin stole us 2 pts when we didnt really deserve even one, but sometimes that happens in hockey. Am sure it will happen again later in the season, and the Pens will fail to take max points in a game they were the better team.

Still, you guys have every right to be excited for this season, as your team looks to be playing great exciting hockey. If your goaltending holds up, you know you can face any East team on the ice and know you've every chance.

We may be missing Gonchar, Whitney and had Crosby at less than 100%, but I dont know if we'd have outplayed your guys last night even with everyone healthy. Kessel looks to be playing great. Hopefully he plays more with Savard, who is a superstar playmaker.

Good luck to you.
Thanks! Was cheering for PIT last playoffs when we ducked out, and was really upset when we lost to MTL...if we had won we would have seen PIT and BOS put on quite the series!

Was that Sabourin's first NHL game?

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
I switched back and forth on the coverage. I hate the end zone camera on the PP and for the shootout, so I jumped to the Pitt guys for those times. They raved about Lucic, called him a load in the corners and on Kessel's goal said goalie couldn't see anything from behind that building.
Agreed. Simply a not a good in-game choice. That should be a replay camera only.

In addition to other issues at that vantage point, the NESN score bug across the top of the screen makes it so you cannot always see the point men. Hopefully, someone at NESN realizes this, but I won't hold my breath.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:46 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrospecialk View Post
I agree with those that liked seeing Kessel on Savard's wing. Ideally with everyone healthy:

Axelsson - Savard - Kessel
Sturm - Bergeron - Ryder
Lucic - Krejci - Kobasew
Thornton - Sobotka - Nokelainen

Yelle waived (he's shown absolutely nothing, and I liked the signing as well) and Wheeler in the A where he belongs.
I like your lines except I swap Ryder and Kobasew. Krejci will get Ryder the puck and with Lucic on the other wing you have some pretty good size on that line.

Kobasew on the wing with Sturm would give the Bruins one of the fastest set on wings in the league, and both are pretty gritty- yes, Marco has added a bit of that to his game as he has gotten older.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:53 PM
GoPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Was that Sabourin's first NHL game?
No...Sabourin was Fleury's backup last year, and got the odd game in Vancouver backing up Luongo two years ago. Before that, I think he may have had the odd spot relief work.

Pens signed Sabourin because of his familiarity with Therrien and they knew what he could do, having backstopped our AHL team for Therrien.

Sabourin was slated for a heavier workload last year when Fleury got injured, but he had a couple of shaky performances and Ty Conklin came in and got red hot. By the time Conklin cooled down, Fleury was the one challenging him again, so Sabourin was Pittsburgh's 3rd goalie for the rest of the year.

Apparently this offseason he worked extra hard with his goalie coach, and by all accounts, had a stellar training camp and preseason. He's basically looking like an ideal backup on an ideal, cap friendly backup salary.

I havent seen Sabourin as composed or polished as he was last night, so I guess it was his first NHL game where he looked like an all pro. He did play well against Montreal last season however.

GoPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
just got back had dead center ice seats not my usual but could see the entire play much better; very good game overall, loved the way Chara just took out especially Malkin down low- the guy is a defensive beast, one of the best defenders alltime. He is what a shot blocking defensive center is to basketball.

Bergeron was outstanding, and so was Savy. Krejci had one tough early shift but even then it was nothing, again, just has a complete game. Sobotka has to play more, this kid has it. Kessel is getting alot of love from everyone I was with but he was good but not great. He got outmuscled a bit to much for me but still is so far ahead of last year. Lucic showed that budding power forward game and his skating is the biggest reason he looks so much better because he can stay in the play.

time to watch the Pats and see if they end up taking a fan to play RB by the end of the game- I've never seen a team go thru RB's like this team

Dan, I wondered where you were....Couldn't believe you were not there somewhere.

See ya soon.

10-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Niz Bruin

Just finished watching the opening home game downunder. The camera angle from behind the net annoys me somewhat too. Has this just crept into the coverage of late?

Really like the look of Wheeler, he looks fast whenever he's on the puck, few stray passes, but nothing a bit of NHL seasoning wont fix.

Yelle seems to be getting quality ice time and showing little for it except a few hits. Maybe my eyes are decieving me, but I certainly cant see much creative coming from him.

About 20 seconds before the goal, I expressed my dismay that Kessell wasnt on.. "Come on lads, get Kessell on, he'll show you how to get the job done" .... *wham* BOOYAH!

I have big hopes for this team though, already we look to be a much more potent force going forward, Bergy is awesome. Our PP offense unit looks much more creative too. Despite the shootout losses we have had, I think we have outplayed teams for long stretches.

N

PS: Did I see empty seats behind the bench? Are these season ticket holders or simply empty because of their expense? Or just not a great place to sit at the garden?

Niz Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:39 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
They didn't have Whitney either. Its like the B's not having Chara or Wideman.
I like both Gonchar and Whitney and their loss to the Pens is significant, but neither of them is even remotely close to being in Chara's class. Wideman and Whitney are comparable, but I think the B's relied on Wideman far more than PIT did Whitney, mostly because of the Uber-Duo of Crosby and Malkin.

GloryDaze4877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post

Agreed.

Speculation is an inexact science, but judging from some of the moves Bergeron has displayed from time to time, and the fact that he has a good shot/release, I think he has the ability to be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL if he was moved to the wing. The reason he does not "finish" more goals is because that is not his role on the team. He is the best "all-around" forward on the team. He kills penalties, works the PP, and is often matched up against the opponents #1.

If you wanted to throw Bergeron out on Savard's right and just have him skate the wing every game, his finishing skills would be on display far more frequently, but it would be a waste of his overall ability and make the B's a poorer team, imo.

GloryDaze4877 is online now   Reply With Quote