HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

My prediction on Ovechkin: expect a slow season for him

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2008, 02:50 PM
gsx capsfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
OP, did you actually watch the video at all?

Yes, its a birthday party and it didn't look like a single person there was drunk. Hell, it had kids at the party.

Besides all that, OV was in the video for all of 2 seconds, when he is holding a plastic dipper that you use to blow bubbles out of.

Either your a hater trying to cause issues on the Caps boards, or you are just clueless.

I'm also sure many players relax some over the off season, thats why its called the OFF season. Give their bodies a chance to recover.

Old
09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Bruinhcky

OV won't be stopped because of his own talent. He might be slowed by other teams and how the defend him. Thats why its important that Backstrom (and others) have breakout years. Balance is what this team needs to go deep in April.

Old
09-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Funkyalligator

Well...I have to say the fact that Ovie trained this summer running cross country marathons and lifted weights and even showed up to the rookie camp just makes the original poster look like a complete idiot.

Old
09-18-2008, 08:02 PM
CrossCheck

Old
09-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

First off, the blonde in the vid clip, whoever she is, gorgeous! check out the lips on that girl!! haha nice!

secondly, Ovechkin will easily put up 50 goals and 100 points this season, its just a question of how much more than that he'll get.

Old
09-19-2008, 10:49 AM
alexovetjkin

I expect 80vechkin!

Old
09-19-2008, 10:58 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Where is mr warden - out with the negativity.

Old
10-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Siberian

So far I've been right on the money. Scoreless in all games but one. Ovechkin is changing for worse this year, he got his money now so he is not hungry anymore. This offseason it was the laziest for him.

Old
10-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Ovechkin will not be shooting 6.7% all season. This much I can assure you. When I look to evaluate a goal scorer and how they are playing as relative to how they have played in the past, I look at the number of shots on goal as compared to previous years. Ovechkin has been putting the same amount of shots on net this season as he has in previous years but the puck hasn't been going in the net as much as he would like obviously. He still has 30 shots through 6 games for 5 shots per game. That is a 410 shot per season pace. For a career 13% shooter those numbers will net him a very healthy amount of goals provided he can continue to get that amount of shots on goal for the duration of the season.

Old
10-22-2008, 07:28 AM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
Based on the first three seasons in the NHL it is very important for Ovechkin to work a lot during the off-season. Before his rookie season he worked hard and it paid off. Following summer (2006) he was partying a lot in Moscow, apeared on many TV shows and as a result the season was somewhat slower than expected. Summer of 2007 he worked the hardest of all, and again, it paid off big time, he had a great season!!!

Summer of 2008 is basically repeat of summer 2006 but times two. He is just partying a lot, apearing on TV all the time, buddies, friends, he even decided to star in a music video clip.

I just want to warn you ahead of the season - Ovechkin might have the worst season in his NHL career this year. On a good side, he is dating a new girl, here is a video from her BD party http://www.russia.ru/geroi/lopireva/?612
Waaait, whaaaaaaat?

Ovechkin worked his ass off this off-season dude.

Old
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Based on the first three seasons in the NHL it is very important for Ovechkin to work a lot during the off-season. Before his rookie season he worked hard and it paid off. Following summer (2006) he was partying a lot in Moscow, apeared on many TV shows and as a result the season was somewhat slower than expected. Summer of 2007 he worked the hardest of all, and again, it paid off big time, he had a great season!!!

Summer of 2008 is basically repeat of summer 2006 but times two. He is just partying a lot, apearing on TV all the time, buddies, friends, he even decided to star in a music video clip.

I just want to warn you ahead of the season - Ovechkin might have the worst season in his NHL career this year. On a good side, he is dating a new girl, here is a video from her BD party http://www.russia.ru/geroi/lopireva/?612
AO isn't playing as well. But you'd expect that; it takes a lot more effort to play a 2-way game. He'll adapt.

Old
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
AO isn't playing as well. But you'd expect that; it takes a lot more effort to play a 2-way game. He'll adapt.
That has nothing to do with it.

He's still playing his game and in his system.

Boudreau trying to make him kill penalties looked like a colossal mistake from the get-go and it still does.

It reminds me of when Hanlon tried to do something similar.

It's sapping a player who is already pressing.

Old
10-22-2008, 09:51 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
That has nothing to do with it.

He's still playing his game and in his system.

Boudreau trying to make him kill penalties looked like a colossal mistake from the get-go and it still does.

It reminds me of when Hanlon tried to do something similar.

It's sapping a player who is already pressing.

You're a bit scattered there.

If "Boudreau trying to make him kill penalties looked like a colossal mistake from the get-go", then it can't "(have) nothing to do with it."

Playing the extra shifts is something he'll adapt to, and he'll be a better player for it.
And, the team will benefit.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:00 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

If "Boudreau trying to make him kill penalties looked like a colossal mistake from the get-go", then it can't "(have) nothing to do with it."

Playing the extra shifts is something he'll adapt to, and he'll be a better player for it.
It's not the 2-way game that's sapping him (or, rather, the fact that it's a 2-way game) as he does that at ES also. It's the extra minutes. He's not struggling because he all of the sudden has to focus on defense, he's been doing that for awhile now, he's struggling because he's playing to much (or so it would seem).

Old
10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
EroCaps

Quote:

I meant that I don't think Ovechkin's approach has really changed.

They've been talking about making him a "2-way player" for over 2 years now.

It scares me a bit.

It's what they did with/to Jagr and it's a big reason Ovechkin had a sophomore slump.

The time he's getting on the PK is unnecessary.

Boudreau, IMO, has had all summer to think about line combos and strategies and he's over-coaching them right now.

He needs to let Ovy and Co. do what they do and worry about the defense, goaltending and total lack of discipline they're demonstrating.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
frasnap

Quote:
So far I've been right on the money. Scoreless in all games but one. Ovechkin is changing for worse this year, he got his money now so he is not hungry anymore. This offseason it was the laziest for him.
The results are what you predicted, but your premise is still ********. He's in great physical shape. He's just slumping.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:20 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I meant that I don't think Ovechkin's approach has really changed.

They've been talking about making him a "2-way player" for over 2 years now.

It scares me a bit.

It's what they did with/to Jagr and it's a big reason Ovechkin had a sophomore slump.

The time he's getting on the PK is unnecessary.

Boudreau, IMO, has had all summer to think about line combos and strategies and he's over-coaching them right now.

He needs to let Ovy and Co. do what they do and worry about the defense, goaltending and total lack of discipline they're demonstrating.
Ovechkin wasn't in good shape coming into camp his 2nd year. I think that and the continued selloff of players had more of an impact on his 2nd year than making Ovy a two-way player did.

Being a solid two-way player is all about work ethic, pride and defensive "smarts". He was his best as a two-way player last year and he was dominant.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:35 AM
txpd

ah...Boudreau is over coaching. Its Boudreau's fault. LOL. Boudreau publically asked them to shoot the puck, get traffic and work for the rebounds. The result was that they continued to pass the puck. I think its more they are overplaying than it is Bruce is over coaching.

How did they score their only goal last night? Schultz of little offensive skill put a backhander toward the net from near the right point. Fedorov went to the front to create some traffic and redirected the not so hard shot into the net. Fedorov listened to the coach and was on it from the start.

Simple hockey

Old
10-22-2008, 10:38 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Simple Hockey Rules! Keep it simple stupid. Bruce is not over coaching. I think that may be the key to his success last year.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Ovy ended up with a disproportionate amount of goals to assists last year. Semin and the other guys have to take the pressure of him so he isn't constantly shadowed/double teamed in the offensive zone. I really expect him to end up with 45-50g/50-55a. When you are the league's leading scoring, teams will focus all their defensive prowess on you.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Ridley Simon

alas, the Ovy argument.

Well, we are 3-2-1, and off to a decent start with him not scoring. And with Backstrom not scoring. And with Kozlov hurt. The first line is in a bit of disarray.

It will all work out, IMO, once Kozlov comes back, and once Backstrom gets his ass in shape. Those 2 things probably won't really coincide for another 6 games or so.

Even then, Ovechkin is one hat trick away (next game?) from being right back at a 50 goal pace. It'll come....

Old
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Semin and the other guys have to take the pressure of him so he isn't constantly shadowed/double teamed in the offensive zone.
There is NOTHING that players not on the ice with Ovechkin can do to ease the defensive pressure that Ovechkin gets. A team's top defense pair and checking line can only lineup against one opposing line at a time. Noone is going to take their top D pair off of Ovechkin to put them on Semin.

There is little that Ovechkin's linemates can do to keep a team from double teaming or shadowing OV. Neither Backstrom nor Kozlov/Clark are near as dangerous with the shot as Ovechkin.

They all just need to do their job's. OV has had all that coverage from the middle of his rookie season to the present.

Old
10-22-2008, 11:20 AM
KenAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
Ovy ended up with a disproportionate amount of goals to assists last year. Semin and the other guys have to take the pressure of him so he isn't constantly shadowed/double teamed in the offensive zone.
Teams have been doing that to Ovechkin for a few years now. Teams are playing Ovy now just as they did last year.

Ovechkin isn't scoring because his timing and shot are off. He is shanking shot after shot. He rarely hits the puck cleanly. And when he does hit the puck, his wristshots and slapshots are only 2/3 as hard as they were last season. It's a lot easier for goalies to stop 60mph shots than 90mph shots.

Something is just wrong.

Last edited by KenAF: 10-22-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old
10-22-2008, 11:29 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Not to make an excuse, but...

I'm not worried about him at all. A couple 2 goal games and he's right back on track. Would anyone be surprised if he did that? Anyone?

One thing that I do hate is the long shifts...especially on the powerplay. 45 seconds and out. No exceptions.

Old
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Wings4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
alas, the Ovy argument.

Well, we are 3-2-1, and off to a decent start with him not scoring. And with Backstrom not scoring. And with Kozlov hurt. The first line is in a bit of disarray.

It will all work out, IMO, once Kozlov comes back, and once Backstrom gets his ass in shape. Those 2 things probably won't really coincide for another 6 games or so.

Even then, Ovechkin is one hat trick away (next game?) from being right back at a 50 goal pace. It'll come....

It just may come next game, against PHX. The 'yotes are a bad team this year, what's better ist hat they will start their backup.

Ovechkin and Feds will light them up IMO.

Closed Thread