HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

After 6 games Montreal and Buffalo...

Old
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
GoodKiwi

vCash: 500
Rivet is the kinda guy you win Stanley Cups with.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
I don't know it seems to me Rivet is gonna cry the blues watching the Habs win the cup.

Just a hunch?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:47 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
As much as I respect the guy, I'm not going to attribute most of their success to him when they've got the hottest goalscorer & one of the hottest goalies right now. It's kind of like saying the Penguins went to the finals because of the leadership of Roberts.
They had Vanek and Millerr last season too and missed playoffs. Numminen missed the season, except for one game, Sabres had little veteran presence around. I dont think its coincidence.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Have almost identical stats they are both 5-0-1 . Montreal has scored one more goal but Buffalo has let in one less. Does anyone here think Buffalo can keep up playing at this pace ?

Oh yeah i forgot, isn't it weird seeing the Habs 4th in the standings with a 5-0 record lol
I didnt rule out buffalo being good this year. Alot of things went bad for them last year and I'm not talking even about briere or drury. Vanek is back, Spacek is healthy, Miller has arguably been the best goalie in the league thus far, Afinogenov is healthy and has something to prove.... the list goes on and on

I dont expect them to be the class of this conference or division, but I do expect them to be a playoff team.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
They had Vanek and Millerr last season too and missed playoffs. Numminen missed the season, except for one game, Sabres had little veteran presence around. I dont think its coincidence.
Well of course he plays a part...but he doesn't make Vanek a better goal scorer or Miller a better goalie. People play the 'character' card a bit too much sometimes...you don't see Adam Foote or Mike Peca elevating their players to unreal heights just because they bring leadership.

Let's give credit where it's due.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Pascal

Miller and Vanek are why they are winning so much now. They both underperformed last year.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

So, do the Ducks get Tavares then? Buffalo beat us so does that mean that they win the East? Or should we wait until they play Pittsburgh? Its only been six games, yeesh.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:22 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Eight View Post
So, do the Ducks get Tavares then? Buffalo beat us so does that mean that they win the East? Or should we wait until they play Pittsburgh? Its only been six games, yeesh.
What are you talking about, did you even read the OP ?

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Have almost identical stats they are both 5-0-1 . Montreal has scored one more goal but Buffalo has let in one less. Does anyone here think Buffalo can keep up playing at this pace ?

Oh yeah i forgot, isn't it weird seeing the Habs 4th in the standings with a 5-0 record lol
I don't think Buffalo can maintain their current production. Vanek has been overachieving in the first 6 games (we all agree that he won't end the current season with 96 goals), Kotalik won't maintain his 1.X PPG production and Miller might be tired in the early winter if he does like last year and plays too many games (and I'm far from being convinced by Patrick Lalime as a decent backup). And I still think that their defense are a big question mark.

And the Habs won't end the season with over 150 points in the standing . But I'm pretty sure the Habs will be higher than Buffalo in the eastern conference standing.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 50
The thing with Buffalo is that they play a high-octane explosive game which relies completely on razor sharp offense and a stellar goaltender. The problem with this system is the collapse they will suffer later in the season.

Quote me if you want, but everyone is going crazy and calling them 2nd in the N-E and all yet only 6 games have been played...

HF

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Well of course he plays a part...but he doesn't make Vanek a better goal scorer or Miller a better goalie. People play the 'character' card a bit too much sometimes...you don't see Adam Foote or Mike Peca elevating their players to unreal heights just because they bring leadership.

Let's give credit where it's due.
Well, I believe Columbus had their franchise high with Foote and Peca ... players way past their prime. And you brought up Penguins above... who were beaten by none other that Red Wings always counting on their veteran guys. Just saying.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:46 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Rivet is out after knee surgery.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 10-22-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Quote:
What are you talking about, did you even read the OP ?
Yeah, you're talking about teams, in an league that runs seven months, keeping "pace" after about three weeks.

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

buffalo is a good team. I think they'll make the playoffs and they'll start them with the ice advantage.

my early playoffs prediction :
1-mtl
2-nyr
3-car
4-buf
5-pitts
6-nj
7-bos
8-phi

ottawa and washington out because of poor/below-average goaltending

Last edited by ChemiseBleuHonnete: 10-22-2008 at 11:23 AM.
ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
Newhabfan

The main difference is that Buffalo played great al those games, giving their max. Montreal played at about 60-80% max (and even under 50% in the Bruins game). Many errors in defence, the top line does not click yet, injuries ....

So I'm more confident about Montreal then about Buffalo. We have not even started playing well yet

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
BORAT

Quote:

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post
The thing with Buffalo is that they play a high-octane explosive game which relies completely on razor sharp offense and a stellar goaltender. The problem with this system is the collapse they will suffer later in the season.

Quote me if you want, but everyone is going crazy and calling them 2nd in the N-E and all yet only 6 games have been played...

HF
So you think Boston or Ottawa is better?

Old
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Corey

I wouldn't pay too much attention to early starts, either hot or cold. Ottawa started out last season with a 15-2 record yet finished 7th in the conference. Washington started out with a woeful record yet they won their division. Does anyone expect Philadelphia to continue at their early sad pace this season? Wouldn't the return of their injured Dmen, especially Gonchar, advance Pittsburgh in the standings?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I wouldn't pay too much attention to early starts, either hot or cold. Ottawa started out last season with a 15-2 record yet finished 7th in the conference. Washington started out with a woeful record yet they won their division. Does anyone expect Philadelphia to continue at their early sad pace this season? Wouldn't the return of their injured Dmen, especially Gonchar, advance Pittsburgh in the standings?
So...you're not excited about our start to the year?

Old
10-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Corey

Quote:
So...you're not excited about our start to the year?
I'm pleased, OK? But there are 76 games to go. The wins against Toronto and Phoenix were laughers but the other 4 were tough.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Playoff Beard

I going to see the Buffalo vs Habs game on November 29!!! Hope both team will keep playing like they do and they meet for division leading game!

Playoff Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Skates View Post

HF
One thing is for sure

Not all Montreal players have been playing their very best hockey yet (insert names here)

The Habs will find out more where they stand after meetings with the Pens, Caps, Rangers, Sharks, Wings...

and Buffalo

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Well, I believe Columbus had their franchise high with Foote and Peca ... players way past their prime. And you brought up Penguins above... who were beaten by none other that Red Wings always counting on their veteran guys. Just saying.
When your veterans are going to be headed to the Hall of Fame, like Lidstrom and Chelios or when you have just plain good Veterans like Rafalski, Draper, Holmstrom, its different.

Rivet is the veteran that will throw the puck in the stands in a PO Game. The opposing team will score on that PP and you'll get eliminated.
And that's exactly what happened when he was a Shark

Rivet sucks, the only good thing is that he'll stand up for his teammates anytime but he's really bad.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
As much as I respect the guy, I'm not going to attribute most of their success to him when they've got the hottest goalscorer & one of the hottest goalies right now. It's kind of like saying the Penguins went to the finals because of the leadership of Roberts.
That's what Buffalo missed; turnover and puck dumping skills

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Some real good discussion in here, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Miller and Vanek are why they are winning so much now. They both underperformed last year.
Miller, yes. Vanek, no. I can't use the word "underperformed" for someone who scored 36 goals. I'd say he was definitely playing below what he was capable of, but he was still performing, still producing. Miller wasn't.

edit: I guess what I just described is kind of the same as "underperforming"... so maybe you're right.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote