HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#6 -- Flyers vs. Sharks -- October 22, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

vCash: 500
I'll enjoy the first, start of second and the commercial breaks of the Phils!
WIN YOU MOFOS

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
JSTAFF

i have two tickets for tonite if anyones interested, I can't make it. message me

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:30 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I never said it was a goalie controversy but its an 82 game season, you play the goalie thats playing better, and wait for the real #1 to get his head in the game. Nitty is known for being very hot and cold so if Biron is slumping and Nitty is playing well you might as well take advantage of it and use him while Marty gets himself straightened out. Its not like they said OK from here on out they are splitting games until one pulls away. Biron can shake off the rust and build confidence in practice getting tons of shots. I have no problem sitting a struggling goalie for a game against a high powered offense and then playing him the next game against a stuggling offense, especially when the other goalie earned himself another start by stealing us a point(something Biron has not done at all this season). Best case scenario, Biron gets the competetive juices goign and is focused for the game against a stuggling offense and earns himself a 2-1 victory. Just one or two good starts in a row will boost his confidence and let him roll with the #1 spot for good and play 4 out of every 5 games. The sharks throwing 45 shots at him might not be the best way to build up his confidence.
Biron is also known as being very hot or cold (not as bad cold though) Nitty does deserve the start. You play good. you start. Gotta go for the win then try to get someone back on track. Let him focus on getting back to where he used to be.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:40 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Biron is also known as being very hot or cold (not as bad cold though) Nitty does deserve the start. You play good. you start. Gotta go for the win then try to get someone back on track. Let him focus on getting back to where he used to be.
who is she in your avatar?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:42 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
who is she in your avatar?
That's Kristen Bell.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I never said it was a goalie controversy but its an 82 game season, you play the goalie thats playing better, and wait for the real #1 to get his head in the game. Nitty is known for being very hot and cold so if Biron is slumping and Nitty is playing well you might as well take advantage of it and use him while Marty gets himself straightened out. Its not like they said OK from here on out they are splitting games until one pulls away. Biron can shake off the rust and build confidence in practice getting tons of shots. I have no problem sitting a struggling goalie for a game against a high powered offense and then playing him the next game against a stuggling offense, especially when the other goalie earned himself another start by stealing us a point(something Biron has not done at all this season). Best case scenario, Biron gets the competetive juices goign and is focused for the game against a stuggling offense and earns himself a 2-1 victory. Just one or two good starts in a row will boost his confidence and let him roll with the #1 spot for good and play 4 out of every 5 games. The sharks throwing 45 shots at him might not be the best way to build up his confidence.
I didn't mean to imply that you thought there was a goalie controversy... more that there were a few others who have said there was. You make some good points, tho, about not starting Biron until friday against the devs....

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
I didn't mean to imply that you thought there was a goalie controversy... more that there were a few others who have said there was. You make some good points, tho, about not starting Biron until friday against the devs....
Gotcha. People who start this early talking about goalie contraversy are simply mentally impaired. We have all seen what Nitty does over the course of a season. Marty will snap out of it. I'm not worried about him unless theres some underlying injury he isnt talking about.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Kaktus*

Frank played well with exception of that rebound.

I am worried about him tough. Hoping for good goaltending.

SJ are really rested this time.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:16 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Lets go Flyers

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:33 PM
mercury

I got student rush tickets for tonight! Feels like a win. . .

Let's go Flyers! Let's go Phillies!

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:33 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

I really hope Nitty gets the start tonight, he played outstanding vs the Sharks over the weekend, and he deserves to get starts until he gets cold again. Hopefully by that time Biron has his head on straight.

If not, its time to send off Giroux for Pavelec!

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:48 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
So if we win, is it all because of Richards? Since we're losing because of him...
Amazingly in your attempt at sarcasm you are correct according to my thoughts anyway. If we come out fast and play a full game then Richards may have stepped up in the captains chair and started getting a little comfortable telling guys with 4-5 years of experience, and some of his good/best friends what to do. Again if you need brain cells to comprehend this, I can lend them to you.

Anyway, great job as always MSE!

And "Flyers", do you have a webcast for us???

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Amazingly in your attempt at sarcasm you are correct according to my thoughts anyway. If we come out fast and play a full game then Richards may have stepped up in the captains chair and started getting a little comfortable telling guys with 4-5 years of experience, and some of his good/best friends what to do. Again if you need brain cells to comprehend this, I can lend them to you.

Anyway, great job as always MSE!

And "Flyers", do you have a webcast for us???
Apparently its on Yahoo tonight. Should be free, and you might need a Proxy (I think only if you live outside the US)

Old
10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Nitty starts again tonight....

I'm not so sure about this. Granted, Biron has played poorly, but you just don't go from good to bad that quickly. Biron is better than he has been playing and is better than nitty. He needs to work himself out of this funk. It will be better for the team long term to give Biron more starts, imo
Have you ever seen Stevens handle the goaltending situation well? This is no different. You're absolutely right though, things will revert back to the mean. I expect the losses to keep mounting up until Biron regains his form. Nitty is not a starting goalie in this league and time and time again, going with the "hot hand" has proven to be faulty with him.

Allowing 5 goals is hardly hot, by the way. It's amazing how a few nice saves blinds everybody when it comes to this guy. He's played well, but I wouldn't call it hot. A hot goalie would've won some games...

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
BWAVgal
A sad Flyers fan

vCash: 50
Let's go Flyers and Phillies. There shouldn't be too much pressure on the guys at home considering a lot of people will be watching the World Series.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Protest
C`est La Vie

For the love of God just WIN for once!!!!!!!

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Have you ever seen Stevens handle the goaltending situation well? This is no different. You're absolutely right though, things will revert back to the mean. I expect the losses to keep mounting up until Biron regains his form. Nitty is not a starting goalie in this league and time and time again, going with the "hot hand" has proven to be faulty with him.

Allowing 5 goals is hardly hot, by the way. It's amazing how a few nice saves blinds everybody when it comes to this guy. He's played well, but I wouldn't call it hot. A hot goalie would've won some games...
5 goals sucks and all, but it coulda been a lot worse. You can't deny that he made some "game saving" saves there.

Old
10-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
5 goals sucks and all, but it coulda been a lot worse. You can't deny that he made some "game saving" saves there.
Not denying it at all, just noting there's a difference between good and hot. He's been better than Biron - but right now I'm better than Biron. Doesn't mean he's our saviour. Things will go back to normal in due time.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:09 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Apparently its on Yahoo tonight. Should be free, and you might need a Proxy (I think only if you live outside the US)
yea I just saw that. good deal. do you know if yahoo casts are subject to blackouts? May be a huge let down come 7pm.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Let's go Flyers and Phillies. There shouldn't be too much pressure on the guys at home considering a lot of people will be watching the World Series.
That would be a rather hollow reason. If this is the case, the pressure has been off since the start of the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
That would be a rather hollow reason. If this is the case, the pressure has been off since the start of the lockout.
Fixed.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:27 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
yea I just saw that. good deal. do you know if yahoo casts are subject to blackouts? May be a huge let down come 7pm.
I'm not sure, from what I've read if you live in the US you are fine (not sure about the Philly area though since your supposed to have it on TV). If not, I would look into getting a proxy ready if it doesn't work. I've never used a proxy before, but I think you can use this program to make it work. http://www.hotspotshield.com/

Old
10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
That's Kristen Bell.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall is such a good movie =). And yep your right Kristen Bell... so damn hot...

Old
10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
I've always subscribed to the idea that "game saving" implied that game was saved. By my recollection we lost both games nitty played.

If you meant he kept us in the game with some sick saves I'll give you that. However, by the same account he took us out of it with weak goals

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:50 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I've always subscribed to the idea that "game saving" implied that game was saved. By my recollection we lost both games nitty played.

If you meant he kept us in the game with some sick saves I'll give you that. However, by the same account he took us out of it with weak goals
Biron didn't make any saves really.... weak or strong (I might have missed a strong one) 4 goals in the first against Rangers and 5 against the Avs ( the whole team did suck against the Avs). I'll give him the Habs, even if I dont remember the game much. Nitty came in and didnt let any goals on Rangers (even if the rags were winning), OT against the Pens (did let in a weak goal though). And OT against the Sharks. At the moment Biron needs to get his act together...

Most goalies have hot and cold streaks... that includes Nitty AND Biron