HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boston Bruins @ Buffalo Sabres l 10/21 l 7 ET l VERSUS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2008, 06:59 AM
  #926
MaineHockey1
Let The Season Begin
 
MaineHockey1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere!
Country: United States
Posts: 7,003
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MaineHockey1
Ok, I have given myself the night to cool down but you know what..........!

I hate the damn shootout. I hate it! I hate it!

But on the positive side..I still think this club looks much better then the one last year. They never give up.

I have now put Yelle on my **** list! I have not seen anything from him this season. I do have to give credit to Ryder though. It has taken me a while to get over the fact he wore a Habs uniform last season but now he has settled as a Bruin and I am glad we have him.

And as for Bergy getting snakebit.....!

And Wideman so far IMO has been worth every penny of what the Bruins have payed him. He has had some downs but in all he has played pretty good. But, who am I to say....

MaineHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:16 AM
  #927
Spooner st
Registered User
 
Spooner st's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
Absolutely. Does she know the roster?

Please tell me the movie was Slapshot or Youngblood
she might had a different game plan

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:52 AM
  #928
Kosikarzzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,249
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
We need scoring from people other than Kessel & Savard. I am sure it will happen but as of right now if you look at the goal scorers on this team everyone else seems snake bitten.

6 games in...no pressue but I am sure everyone might be holding on to their stick a lil to tight. Especially Bergeron. That kid just needs one just to get it over with. He has had so many chances and you can tell he is impatient. Last night if he would have just held onto that puck a lil longer he would have had himbaeat but he rushed the shot and it was saved.

Ryder has been pretty good so far but him & especially Sturm need to pot a few more for my liking. Chara's shot on the point seems to be missing as well.

Kessel is unreal right now. Something tells me that this will be a special year for him.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:52 AM
  #929
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 23,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineHockey1 View Post
Ok, I have given myself the night to cool down but you know what..........!

I hate the damn shootout. I hate it! I hate it!

But on the positive side..I still think this club looks much better then the one last year. They never give up.

I have now put Yelle on my **** list! I have not seen anything from him this season. I do have to give credit to Ryder though. It has taken me a while to get over the fact he wore a Habs uniform last season but now he has settled as a Bruin and I am glad we have him.

And as for Bergy getting snakebit.....!

And Wideman so far IMO has been worth every penny of what the Bruins have payed him. He has had some downs but in all he has played pretty good. But, who am I to say....:sarcasm:
Not going to fret too much about last night. The B's are playing good hockey and have only one loss in regulation. If the B's had one more guy who was good in the SO, they could be 5-1 righ now and everyone would be ecstatic. They just need to keep doing what they are doing and the goals will come.

I think Wideman has been outstanding, but I am not sure what he was thinking on Stafford's goal? I only caught the end of the play, when he was by Wideman, and came out front. Not sure if DW thought Stafford was going behind the goal or what? I'd say the blame was about 50-50 on DW and Manny for not poking the puck away, which he had done on several other occasions. Other than that, I thought MF was pretty solid. It's so much easier on the nerves watching him handle the puck vs TT, lol.

Almost forgot...one negative, B's need to get more traffic in front. Looch, Wheels, and Ryder need to start throwing more screens and raising heck in general in front of the net. You have to do that against quality goalies like Miller, the first goal being exhibit A. If they start doing that, I think the "snakebit" phase will end pretty quick.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:03 AM
  #930
gorskic
Registered User
 
gorskic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North Central CT
Country: United States
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gorskic Send a message via Yahoo to gorskic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Almost forgot...one negative, B's need to get more traffic in front. Looch, Wheels, and Ryder need to start throwing more screens and raising heck in general in front of the net. You have to do that against quality goalies like Miller, the first goal being exhibit A. If they start doing that, I think the "snakebit" phase will end pretty quick.
Moreso in the Pens game than the second half anyway of last night's game, but I've seen the Bruins forwards converging much more on the net than they ever did last year. What they're *not* doing is sticking around looking for a rebound or a garbage goal. The traffic is key, but sustaining the traffic looking for a rebound opportunity is vital. Good start, but needs some work.

(You're absolutely right about Lucic, Wheeler, and Ryder. It's nice to have some forwards who have the size and strength to play with some jam.)

Another thing I've noticed--not related to your point--is how Savard and Kessel have been reinforcing each other. Kessel starts skating hard, then Savard does too. Savard starts being more physical, Phil follows along. This is a really, really good thing. I like what I'm seeing so far. Except for the pucks not actually landing in the back of the net, which is (admittedly) a slight problem.

gorskic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:18 AM
  #931
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 23,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskic View Post
Moreso in the Pens game than the second half anyway of last night's game, but I've seen the Bruins forwards converging much more on the net than they ever did last year. What they're *not* doing is sticking around looking for a rebound or a garbage goal. The traffic is key, but sustaining the traffic looking for a rebound opportunity is vital. Good start, but needs some work.

(You're absolutely right about Lucic, Wheeler, and Ryder. It's nice to have some forwards who have the size and strength to play with some jam.)

Another thing I've noticed--not related to your point--is how Savard and Kessel have been reinforcing each other. Kessel starts skating hard, then Savard does too. Savard starts being more physical, Phil follows along. This is a really, really good thing. I like what I'm seeing so far. Except for the pucks not actually landing in the back of the net, which is (admittedly) a slight problem.
I can't tell you how impressed I have been by Kessel this year and it's not strictly about the goals. I was one of the people questioning his worth and whether the B's might be better served shipping him for a young d-man...and so far he has proven me wrong.

He always had the physical tools, but he seems to be thinking the game when he should (backcheck and forecheck) and letting instincts/tools take over when he should (around the goal). He is never going to be "strong" on the boards, but he is competing much harder for the puck and using his speed to be a nuisance when he is on the forecheck or trying to gain possession.

I'd like to see PK keep this up for 20-30 games before I am completely sold, but so far, so good.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:33 AM
  #932
Johnnyduke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Just thought I'd throw this in here for people who seem to be overreacting a little bit...

The Bruins have now played five of their six games on the road--and five of these games (@COL, @MIN, @MTL, PIT, @BUF) have been against teams that would be in the playoffs right now based on a PPG basis. Also, the Bruins are 8th in the East on this basis. Given the tough early schedule, I am happy with where they are. Losing in the shootout sucks, but the more important thing early on is that this team is playing pretty damn well.

Keep playing like they are and they'll start to win these games in regulation.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
  #933
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser
 
TheReal13Linseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nation's Capital
Country: United States
Posts: 7,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Not going to fret too much about last night. The B's are playing good hockey and have only one loss in regulation. If the B's had one more guy who was good in the SO, they could be 5-1 righ now and everyone would be ecstatic. They just need to keep doing what they are doing and the goals will come.

I think Wideman has been outstanding, but I am not sure what he was thinking on Stafford's goal? I only caught the end of the play, when he was by Wideman, and came out front. Not sure if DW thought Stafford was going behind the goal or what? I'd say the blame was about 50-50 on DW and Manny for not poking the puck away, which he had done on several other occasions. Other than that, I thought MF was pretty solid. It's so much easier on the nerves watching him handle the puck vs TT, lol.

Almost forgot...one negative, B's need to get more traffic in front. Looch, Wheels, and Ryder need to start throwing more screens and raising heck in general in front of the net. You have to do that against quality goalies like Miller, the first goal being exhibit A. If they start doing that, I think the "snakebit" phase will end pretty quick.
This isn't a "kill Wideman" post, but he was totally at fault on that goal. He bascially just watched Stafford skate by him and didn't lay the body on him at all. Clearly missed the assignment. Not the end of the world; he's a good player, etc., but I'm sure he knows he bolloxed that play.

__________________
My views have No Movement Clauses.
Bruins HF Board: Come for the lunacy; stay for the snipefest.
Marchand: Today's Linseman
Pastrnak means "Eurolectric" in Czech. Look it up.
Aw, what the hell, let's make another thread about how much Gagne sucks.
TheReal13Linseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:10 AM
  #934
BFonzy
 
BFonzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: God's Country
Country: United States
Posts: 937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
Just thought I'd throw this in here for people who seem to be overreacting a little bit...

The Bruins have now played five of their six games on the road--and five of these games (@COL, @MIN, @MTL, PIT, @BUF) have been against teams that would be in the playoffs right now based on a PPG basis. Also, the Bruins are 8th in the East on this basis. Given the tough early schedule, I am happy with where they are. Losing in the shootout sucks, but the more important thing early on is that this team is playing pretty damn well.

Keep playing like they are and they'll start to win these games in regulation.
Definitely.

People are definitely overreacting.

6 games into the season (only one being at home) the B's opponents whom they've played have a 23-7-4 record.

The fact the Bruins only have one regulation loss against that type of competition/talent level to me is incredible.

BFonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
  #935
Johnnyduke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFonzy View Post
Definitely.

People are definitely overreacting.

6 games into the season (only one being at home) the B's opponents whom they've played have a 23-7-4 record.

The fact the Bruins only have one regulation loss against that type of competition/talent level to me is incredible.
And that leads us to two vital home games before another western trip. Toronto and Atlanta are teams the Bruins should expect to beat. I'd have to say three points at the minimum are needed here.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:37 AM
  #936
iRONic™
You know; Merlot.
 
iRONic™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFonzy View Post
Definitely.

People are definitely overreacting.

6 games into the season (only one being at home) the B's opponents whom they've played have a 23-7-4 record.

The fact the Bruins only have one regulation loss against that type of competition/talent level to me is incredible.
One man's concern appears to be another man's overreaction.

Of those six games three were against Northeast division foes. And TO tomano makes four.

It can't be stressed enough that giving away extra points to those teams early will bite the B's on their ass later.

So, fix it now.

iRONic™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:25 PM
  #937
Johnnyduke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONic™ View Post
One man's concern appears to be another man's overreaction.

Of those six games three were against Northeast division foes. And TO tomano makes four.

It can't be stressed enough that giving away extra points to those teams early will bite the B's on their ass later.

So, fix it now.
Giving away extra points to any eastern conference team hurts. The encouraging thing is that for the most part they're playing well. If they keep playing like this they won't be in a shootout every night. Also, beating divisional opponents at home in regulation will go a long way to make up for these shootout losses.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
  #938
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes
 
flannelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,942
vCash: 50
I'll take getting one point over none.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
  #939
HumBucker
HFBoards Sponsor
 
HumBucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
I'll take getting one point over none.
That's the kind of Solomon-like wisdom that made you a moderator!

HumBucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:11 PM
  #940
iRONic™
You know; Merlot.
 
iRONic™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
So, no "Three Positives" thread for this game?

iRONic™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:13 PM
  #941
flannelman
trite pretentiousnes
 
flannelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONic™ View Post
So, no "Three Positives" thread for this game?
they've all jumped out the 7th story window in the goalie thread...

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
  #942
Wonder Boy
2026 Draft Prospect
 
Wonder Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ancaster, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,966
vCash: 500
Thoughts on the Buffalo game from someone at the game.

First and foremost I thought the Bruins were going to be blown out of the water. Buffalo has played excellent hockey thus far and I honestly thought the B’s didn’t stand a chance. I am happy with the point we earned but a little disappointed that we allowed Buffalo back in the game to tie it up in the 3rd period.

I thought the Bruins 1st period was the best period of hockey I’ve seen them play in a long time. Much better than what they did last year. If they can play like that every period we will win many games. I was extremely satisfied with the way the Bruins transitioned the puck in the 1st and 2nd period. Transitional play has been somewhat of a sore spot but clearly they are moving in the right direction in this regard. I was happy with the physical game they played and I thought the forecheck was aggressive enough. There really isn’t much to complain about in the 1st or 2nd periods as a whole. They stayed out of the box and that kept the score in their favor because if they got into enough penalty trouble it would have haunted them.

The Bruins are getting chances and that is very nice to see but sooner or later the players have to be accountable to finish those chances. The goals will come for the younger guys as they continue to build confidence. Kessel is a prime example of that….sometimes it takes a little while but good things come to those that wait. Anyone want to trade Kessel now?

I would like to see the B’s make some changes on the PP. The plan of attack they use and the personnel they have on the ice is really confusing. If the plan is to blast pucks from the point on the 1st unit….doesn’t it make sense to put a body in front of the Goalie? - I mean why put Sturm and Ryder out there with Bergeron, Chara, and Savard. The way Lucic played last night I wonder if he will net 10 goals this year. He missed the net at least 3 times in one period alone. If it were up to me I would put Wheeler on the 1st PP and have him park in front of the net and bang home the garbage Dave Andreychuk style in the 80’s and 90’s. Lucic does a good job in front of the net but his hands are better served punching than scoring goals. Put Sturm on the 2nd unit with Kessel and Krejci because the focus on that unit is on the forwards down low. I don’t think it would hurt to try it because clearly what they are doing now is not working well enough.

I agree with most of the folks who want Yelle off the 3rd line and I support that decision. Nokelainen played a few shifts with the Krejci line but I think that line will be better once Kobasew returns from injury.

The only 2 complaints I have is the way they sat back in the 3rd period and allowed Buffalo to get back into the game. They should have kept the attack momentum for 60 minutes not 40! We lost enough 1 goal games the last few years you would think they know not to stop attacking with such a minimal lead. The only other complaint is the lack of finishing but that will come in time. Sooner or later Hunwick will be ready to play and the slooooooooow Hnidy will be in the pressbox.

Lastly, I think Wheeler needs to play with more intensity. Since he’s made the club I noticed he’s settled in a little more and is not playing with the same edge or competitiveness that he did in training camp. Maybe a visit to the pressbox will get his butt back in gear once our guys come back from IR.

Wonder Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
  #943
iRONic™
You know; Merlot.
 
iRONic™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
they've all jumped out the 7th story window in the goalie thread...
*shakes head*

iRONic™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.