HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4pts lost. this is what I'm hearing about our coaches?

Old
10-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Nubbin

vCash: 500
However, there is what is called a FIVE FEET RULE. If you are less than five feet from the bench it's not a call if there are more than 5 forwards + defensemen on the ice. So, it wasn't even a close call. It should not have been called at all. The ref violated the rule to give them a penalty. It never fails when the Rangers are just about to do something good. The refs make sure it doesn't happen. How many of you knew they would score on the penalty??? That's what drives me nuts. It was a given that they would score because it reads like a book. Haven't won there in 10+ years. Of course at the last minute we would lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
a "to many men on the ice" penatly is straight forward...if there are to many players on the ice you should get called..that being said i did not see the play

Nubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:21 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I think we need to trade for a fast, offensively mind player that excels at opening bench doors.
I thought maybe Detroit might have rigged it somehow but it worked for the first two and a half periods.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Fletch

are we going to blame another game on the refs? If they kill the penalty, which they should kill about 90% of their penalties, they get momentum and have a chance at winning the game. They didn't kill it, and that's that. I'm sure there were plenty of times during the game when a call could've or should've been made. Sucks that something so obvious was called the wrong way, but them the breaks. It happens to every team in the league. I don't recall many fans of other teams saying they're on the right side of more calls than they're on the wrong side.

As an aside, ever since Mess laced into the officiating (I think it was in January 1996), the refs have been tough on the Rangers, and when Kovalev went down against the Nordiques like he had been killed, prompting Van Hellemond to stop play and negate a Nordiques goal in the playoffs, it made the rest of the series tough on the Russians as Wendel Clark continued to headhunt the Russians, Kovalev, Nemchinov and to a lesser extent, Zubov (can't remember Povtsy too much). OK, I played two sides of the conspiracy fence.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

I didn't catch the goal, but usually the only time a winger is dropping down low is if he's the first man back into the zone. At that point, forwards on the backcheck need to realize this, abandon true positions, and adjust accordingly. Did this not happen, was it a defensive zone draw?

It is very easy to understand a winger hesitating in certain areas of the defensive zone. Center's gotta make sure that third forward is covered or else everything falls apart. I don't blame Rissmiller if he didn't want to chase and leave his point man.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:49 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
are we going to blame another game on the refs? If they kill the penalty, which they should kill about 90% of their penalties, they get momentum and have a chance at winning the game. They didn't kill it, and that's that. I'm sure there were plenty of times during the game when a call could've or should've been made. Sucks that something so obvious was called the wrong way, but them the breaks. It happens to every team in the league. I don't recall many fans of other teams saying they're on the right side of more calls than they're on the wrong side.

As an aside, ever since Mess laced into the officiating (I think it was in January 1996), the refs have been tough on the Rangers, and when Kovalev went down against the Nordiques like he had been killed, prompting Van Hellemond to stop play and negate a Nordiques goal in the playoffs, it made the rest of the series tough on the Russians as Wendel Clark continued to headhunt the Russians, Kovalev, Nemchinov and to a lesser extent, Zubov (can't remember Povtsy too much). OK, I played two sides of the conspiracy fence.

I think Wendell Clark watched Rocky 4 one too many times. That guy had a personal vendetta against all the Russian players. Specifically Fetisov. I remember him torturing that guy at every opportunity. I think growing up in Saskatchewan he was locked in a room and forced to watch tapes of Joseph McCarthy.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Fletch

Manhattan..

they were already set in the zone. There was a clearing attempt and Rissmiller didn't get to the puck before Boucher and Boucher kept it in. The goal was scored from the other side. Kalinin and Drury went in deep after the puck and forwards. Modano kind of picked off Girardi by dragging him away and getting free in the slot. Naslund, I believe, was filing his nails. It was tough to tell for sure though.

Old
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

No lets blame this one on the coaches and players. A part of what someone said before. Not being focused enough for a full 60
minutes. A terrible time to take a penalty. I'm saying by not taking that penalty at that time of the game against the best team in league we may have gotten 2 points, instead of one. Trust me this call, no matter who's fault it was angered a lot of Rangers fans and like I said. I've never seen Henrik so angry after a loss as long as he's been a Ranger. Even though they did get one point. I mean, yea, it's time to move on but that was just a dumb penalty to take at a bad time.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
they were already set in the zone. There was a clearing attempt and Rissmiller didn't get to the puck before Boucher and Boucher kept it in. The goal was scored from the other side. Kalinin and Drury went in deep after the puck and forwards. Modano kind of picked off Girardi by dragging him away and getting free in the slot. Naslund, I believe, was filing his nails. It was tough to tell for sure though.
So Naslund was behind Modano, and on his point? Hard to say, Naslund definitely has to apply some pressure no matter if it's just getting stick on stick. It's a soft spot for sure though in the zone, as Naslund could have been too high and done before he realized Girardi got caught too far behind the play.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Fletch

Naslund was. If he was too high, the he must've been smoking something. With Modano around the faceoff circle, there ain't that much room between that and the blue line. And with the play down low, Naslund should've come in somewhat, and if he was paying attention, he would've seen Modano all alone after checking off Girardi, who was covering the front of the net (which Rissmiller would've covered, or looked like he would've covered, had Girardi followed Modano).

It's fun breaking down these plays. It's really constructive. But the funny thing about being the guy on the ice who was the cause for a goal is that everyone remembers that. They tend to remember that more than a chance that may've been a better scoring chance, but didn't lead to a goal, and thus is often forgotten. Goals are pretty random. About 10% of shots go in, and the best chances, and often the worst defensive gaffes don't always lead to them, which sometimes makes it difficult to evaluate people on +/-, actual goals scored, etc.