HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

My prediction on Ovechkin: expect a slow season for him

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-22-2008, 12:53 PM
  #51
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ah...Boudreau is over coaching. Its Boudreau's fault. LOL. Boudreau publically asked them to shoot the puck, get traffic and work for the rebounds. The result was that they continued to pass the puck. I think its more they are overplaying than it is Bruce is over coaching.

How did they score their only goal last night? Schultz of little offensive skill put a backhander toward the net from near the right point. Fedorov went to the front to create some traffic and redirected the not so hard shot into the net. Fedorov listened to the coach and was on it from the start.

Simple hockey
He puts Ovechkin on the PK.

Juggles lines every night.

Can't find the testicular fortitude to demote or bench Clark; who is not some long-tenured Captain, Caps legend, or high-skilled player but a fill-in "C" on a rebuilding team.

He's making changes that didn't need to be made.

They need to chill and make a few common sense adjustments as well as light a fire under the complacents and they'll be A-OK.

EroCaps is online now  
Old
10-22-2008, 02:29 PM
  #52
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I meant that I don't think Ovechkin's approach has really changed.

They've been talking about making him a "2-way player" for over 2 years now.

It scares me a bit.

It's what they did with/to Jagr and it's a big reason Ovechkin had a sophomore slump.

The time he's getting on the PK is unnecessary.

Boudreau, IMO, has had all summer to think about line combos and strategies and he's over-coaching them right now.

He needs to let Ovy and Co. do what they do and worry about the defense, goaltending and total lack of discipline they're demonstrating.
Steve Yzerman struggled with becoming a two way player for a while, and 3 cups later i'd say the wings made the right choice with him.

Randall Graves* is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
  #53
PSUhockey34
Registered User
 
PSUhockey34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 5,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
So far I've been right on the money. Scoreless in all games but one. Ovechkin is changing for worse this year, he got his money now so he is not hungry anymore. This offseason it was the laziest for him.
he's off to a slow start but it's not b/c of the reasons you stated...how has any of of what you said been the cause of Ovy not scoring? he's in shape, not starting the season off injured like during has 2nd year, and is dedicated to winning

__________________
I don't want to leave the crowd, I just need some air
PSUhockey34 is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
  #54
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Steve Yzerman struggled with becoming a two way player for a while, and 3 cups later i'd say the wings made the right choice with him.
Ovechkin wasn't a poor defensive player.

He was +28 last year.

He's best doing what he does.

There's a reason why he won the Hart and Zetterberg/Datsyuk didn't.

EroCaps is online now  
Old
10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
  #55
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,187
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Ovechkin wasn't a poor defensive player.

He was +28 last year.

He's best doing what he does.

There's a reason why he won the Hart and Zetterberg/Datsyuk didn't.

There's a reason why Detroit won the Stanley Cup. There best players are great 2-way players/

Stanley Cup>>>Hart

__________________
#hfbro4life
Backstrom #19 is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 05:32 PM
  #56
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
There's a reason why Detroit won the Stanley Cup. There best players are great 2-way players/

Stanley Cup>>>Hart
Zetterberg+Datsyuk > Ovi

Give the Caps two Ovechkins and they win the cup last year.

KenAF is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 06:00 PM
  #57
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
There's a reason why Detroit won the Stanley Cup. There best players are great 2-way players/

Stanley Cup>>>Hart
They have a far better defense with a HOF #1 and a deep, veteran offensive line-up?

The Caps didn't lose to Philly because Ovechkin didn't play defense in the playoffs.

At all.

EroCaps is online now  
Old
10-22-2008, 07:04 PM
  #58
Backstrom #19
Fire them all
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,187
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
They have a far better defense with a HOF #1 and a deep, veteran offensive line-up?

The Caps didn't lose to Philly because Ovechkin didn't play defense in the playoffs.

At all.

Great teams win with players who play a great 2-way game. Ovechkin playing a 2-way game will help the Caps. It's not about Ovechkin, it's about the team winning.

Backstrom #19 is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 08:31 PM
  #59
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
It's not the 2-way game that's sapping him (or, rather, the fact that it's a 2-way game) as he does that at ES also. It's the extra minutes.
Excuse me, but I'm tempted to say "you figured that out, eh?"


BTCG is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
  #60
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Steve Yzerman struggled with becoming a two way player for a while, and 3 cups later i'd say the wings made the right choice with him.
And Stevie has a Selke too...IMO, THE most prestigious award a forward can win.

BTCG is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
  #61
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Great teams win with players who play a great 2-way game. Ovechkin playing a 2-way game will help the Caps. It's not about Ovechkin, it's about the team winning.
As we used to say on the old ESPN board:

DING DING DING: We have a WINNER here!

BTCG is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
  #62
Complaining Customer
Registered User
 
Complaining Customer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
Give the Caps two Ovechkins and they win the cup last year.
Sorry, but no.

Complaining Customer is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
  #63
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
Sorry, but no.
You're right.

BTCG is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 08:54 PM
  #64
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
I meant that I don't think Ovechkin's approach has really changed.

They've been talking about making him a "2-way player" for over 2 years now.

It scares me a bit.

It's what they did with/to Jagr and it's a big reason Ovechkin had a sophomore slump.

The time he's getting on the PK is unnecessary.

Boudreau, IMO, has had all summer to think about line combos and strategies and he's over-coaching them right now.

He needs to let Ovy and Co. do what they do and worry about the defense, goaltending and total lack of discipline they're demonstrating.
I'm a two team fan:Wings & Caps.

Out of respect to Cap's fans, I try hard not to compare.

But as to your post, I disagree. The "Grape Ape" is a natural leader. Taking on a 2-way game will influence the team to play in the same manner, much in the same way Datsyuk has on the Wings.

BTCG is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 09:06 PM
  #65
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Oh....forgot.


Since I'm usually at least a week ahead of the analysts, I predict that Locker & Joe will point out soon what to me is obvious: that AO's game is off slightly only because he's playing those extra minutes, in order to become the complete player that I predict he will be. The kid is the real deal.

BTCG is offline  
Old
10-22-2008, 09:53 PM
  #66
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
Since I'm usually at least a week ahead of the analysts,
Oh. My. God.


Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
10-23-2008, 11:41 PM
  #67
Siberian
Registered User
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: France
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
One must be blind not to see that Ovechkin is having problems. His timing is off big time. He'll pick up eventually but he'll probably have a 35 goal season, his worst one yet in the NHL. Next off-season he should do a better job, otherwise he is no better than Yashin.

Siberian is offline  
Old
10-24-2008, 04:30 AM
  #68
LadyIce
Registered User
 
LadyIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: DC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnap View Post
The results are what you predicted, but your premise is still ********. He's in great physical shape. He's just slumping.
He's also being covered more closely by opposing defenses. There have been no less than two players shadowing him. Once he gets used to it, he'll adapt and the opposition will have to come up with a new plan.

It might help too if lines didn't need to be shuffled like a deck of cards due to the early injuries.

LadyIce is offline  
Old
10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
  #69
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Ovechkin wasn't a poor defensive player.

He was +28 last year.

He's best doing what he does.

There's a reason why he won the Hart and Zetterberg/Datsyuk didn't.
Ok that's a poor excuse for not becoming a better all around player. Yzerman was a scoring machine but what did he ever win? Nothing, he made himself into a selke caliber forward and the Wings started winning cups. If Ovechkin works at it, then I think he can make himself into a really good defensive player as well, which I think makes the caps a better team.

and why did the Wings win last year? In big part due to the fact that there three best players are all great two way players.

Randall Graves* is offline  
Old
10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
  #70
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Ok that's a poor excuse for not becoming a better all around player. Yzerman was a scoring machine but what did he ever win? Nothing, he made himself into a selke caliber forward and the Wings started winning cups. If Ovechkin works at it, then I think he can make himself into a really good defensive player as well, which I think makes the caps a better team.

and why did the Wings win last year? In big part due to the fact that there three best players are all great two way players.
Ovechkin is already a good defensive player.

I don't know why we're having this discussion.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg don't have the offensive ability that Ovechkin does.

Crosby and Malkin aren't Selke noms and no one asks them to be.

In fact, teams win more often without their #1 forward being "Selke" caliber.

I'd rather Ovechkin be on his toes than on his heels.

Jagr, anyone? Gretzky? Lemieux?

They don't need to change anything with him.

If they try to make him something he doesn't need to be/isn't, it's going to blow up in their faces in spectacular fashion.

EroCaps is online now  
Old
10-26-2008, 05:24 PM
  #71
BTCG
Registered User
 
BTCG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Oh. My. God.

Just call me Bill, Don't call me God.

Watch.

BTCG is offline  
Old
10-26-2008, 05:26 PM
  #72
pgreene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Oh. My. God.

dude. you're ruining the point of the ignore list. please don't quote ridiculosity.

pgreene is offline  
Old
10-26-2008, 06:37 PM
  #73
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Ok that's a poor excuse for not becoming a better all around player. Yzerman was a scoring machine but what did he ever win? Nothing, he made himself into a selke caliber forward and the Wings started winning cups. If Ovechkin works at it, then I think he can make himself into a really good defensive player as well, which I think makes the caps a better team.

and why did the Wings win last year? In big part due to the fact that there three best players are all great two way players.
I hate the Yzerman example. Lets be clear about him. He was a 100 pt player from 87-88 til 92-93. That stopped when he was had significant injuries in the next two seasons. He never scored 40 goals again and was generally reduced to the 20s. His Selke season of 99-00 was his LAST decent season.

This was a player that had his 100pt ability taken from him. He did not voluntarily give it up. He made the best of what he had left. He is to be admired, but lets not take it too far.

Additionally, his final 100 pt season was his TENTH NHl season. It took him FIVE NHL seasons to have his first 100 pt season. Comparisons to Ovechkin are ridiculous.

Frankly the comparisons of the damaged and aging Yzerman becoming legend of a leader are closer to the current day Fedorov than the young Yzerman to the young Ovechkin.

txpd is online now  
Old
10-26-2008, 11:27 PM
  #74
Tonka
Diggles
 
Tonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 500
I would still give this guy credit, his prediction seems kind of true right now. But I would still like to see him get 60 goals if he can just to prove Don Cherry wrong.

Tonka is offline  
Old
10-26-2008, 11:56 PM
  #75
Siberian
Registered User
 
Siberian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Saint Pierre
Country: France
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss_7 View Post
I would still give this guy credit, his prediction seems kind of true right now. But I would still like to see him get 60 goals if he can just to prove Don Cherry wrong.


Thank you.

Funny how on HFBOARDS everybody seems to be a hockey specialist but mainly they are not and more often than not they are wrong when it comes down to predictions. You tell them something valuable and they just try to shut you up.

The same thing happened when I posted on CBJ board my opinion that Zherdev wasn't going to be a great player for them before Zherdev joined them. Last offseason I said that the day is not so far when Malkin outscores Crosby.

Just go back and read some of these comments about Ovechkin being in the best shape of his life - just laughable.

Siberian is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.