HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pettinger to Tampa, claimed on Waivers

Old
10-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I'm pretty sure that's why the Canucks didn't want to touch Jokinen with a 10ft pole.

Jokinen would make us a contender but thank christ we didn't get him. I couldn't handle looking at that thing all season. Wellwood could blow up to 500 pounds, as long as he doesn't grow a 'stache I feel he belongs on this team.

10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
Who cares as long as he does produce.That's the point.He played his way on to the team & got waived because he's to "soft" "lazy"a liability ,not an AV type of player.If Wellwood plays well enough to keep his spot as 2nd line centre he will be a top 6 forward in the NHL.
If he can't Gillis will have to make a move .
I don't care how Wellwood does, really. I care how the team does. So, to answer your question, if Wellwood disappears for most of the night and is any kind of a liability, and then pots a goal or assist here and there in games that have become meaningless, I care. So yeah, if he plays well enough he should stay. But is there a contingency plan anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
It was unavoidable considering that Demitra has a history if missing a given number of games per season (and he is the key member of the 2nd line - if for no other reason that he's the *ONLY* proven top six forward on that line).
You have to be kidding. There's 10m in the bank, and this predicament was unavoidable?

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHomelessAteMyCat View Post
You have to be kidding. There's 10m in the bank, and this predicament was unavoidable?
how would you spend that 10 million?

Not saying that there hasn't been a good way to spend it, but what moves would you have made with it?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:39 AM
alternate

Wellwood looks better on the 2nd line than Raymond has imo. when Demitra gets back, I'd like to see Pyatt-Wellwood-Demitra. put Raymond into Krog's spot on the 4th line and give him PP time and give him a shift or two with Demitra + if Raymond's play deserves it.

as for O'Brien, what 3rd pairing would you rather have: Krajicek-Davison or O'Brien-Nycholat. I'd go with the first, but there's not much of a gap between the two pairings.

as for Pettinger, would have rather he made it through. He would have been a better fit on the 4th line than Krog is. i figure if Brown was so important, shoudln't he be seeing some more ice time? I feel AV and MG dropped the ball a bit on their asset evaluation re: pettinger, but I'm glad he got picked up and wish him luck.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 02:05 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
how would you spend that 10 million?

Not saying that there hasn't been a good way to spend it, but what moves would you have made with it?
I don't know, every name I can come up with someone will pop in a reason why it's bad or wasn't going to happen. Every year we see ridiculous contracts that we shouldn't touch come free agency, and it's always easy to go "well, glad we stayed away from that one." But that's led to several seasons of unproductive offseasons and a whole lot of unused cap space the last 2 seasons.

I don't mind giving the GM the benefit of the doubt for not committing to bad contracts, as long as we are being consistent. You can't trash Nonis' poor offseason last year and then hand out the high marks many people gave to Gillis this year.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote