HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#6 -- Flyers vs. Sharks -- October 22, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
sg12lw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
This defense is horrible, you can quit blaming the goalies because your body can only move so many different directions and sice this defense can't stop the opposing teams forwards from just skating right in or tie them up from getting a rebound it doesn't matter WHO is in net....((breath...breath..).

And I really don't recall you ( Vincent Gambini ) *****in about Biron when he CARRIED this team through their play-off run......unless you were saying it in your basement in between yelling up to mom to get you another sandwich.

well i wasnt a member here during the playoffs

im not sure why you are attacking me

and i am not sure what two good playoff series has to do with him shi*ting the bed this season, and the fact that marty couldnt stop a blindfolded three year old in the shootout

this team didnt win ***** last year, so why the hell should i give marty a pass for having two good playoff series'.

unless he wins a cup(which he wont) he aint getting a pass from me

nobody who gets paid that much to play sports should get a free pass, especially in this city

marty stinks.....accept it before its too late

*see what i mean about the marty b super fans - crazy*

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:37 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Well im not sure if Kambo saw, but I definitely did. That was a nice message you left us Tiger on the arena screen. I wanted to comment back but it was too late.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:39 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

God almighty, are we going to win a game or what? I am becoming quite anxious!

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:41 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Well im not sure if Kambo saw, but I definitely did. That was a nice message you left us Tiger on the arena screen. I wanted to comment back but it was too late.
Lol, it was like 3rd to last before the 3rd period began.

I sent it like halfway during intermission.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:08 AM
chaosof99*

Haven't seen the game. Judging from the boxscore it's a heartbreaker and similar to the Rangers game. Is that correct?

They allowed far less shots or at least kept up with the shot total this time and they took less penalties. What sucks is the goaltending. Like the Rangers game, the first goaltender melts away and the second goaltender plays decent.

Dammit, why the ****ing loss. They are definitely the most unlucky team out there.

Congrats to Nödl and Sbisa picking up their first NHL points, and Kimmo Timonen's +4 O_O.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:16 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I was just coming here to post that.......

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:25 AM
chaosof99*

After watching the Highlights video I'm even more of the mind that this is a carbon copy of the Rangers game. It even included Marty's wraparound mistake (dammit Marty) and the goal of the face off.

Lupul's first goal and Cannon's goal were beautiful though.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:43 AM
flyersguy33*

Just for the hell of it I looked at Marty's career shootout stats. Pretty awful.

Career Stats
Lowest save pct (min 30 shots)
Martin Biron BUF, PHI 15/37 = 0.405
Worst in the entire NHL.

Lowest winning pct (min 10 shootouts)
Martin Biron BUF, PHI 4/15 = 0.267
Overall is 4th worst in NHL. The only current goalie that is worse than him is Toskala

2007-2008
Martin Biron PHI 7/20 = 0.350

Those were his numbers in the shootout last year. The 7 saves he did make were shots that probably missed the net. No lie.

Stats came from here: http://www.nhlshootouts.com/ShootoutStats.htm

great website for all shootout information

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 06:22 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
She better
You should hear the Sharks announcer calling him Danielle Briere. Cracks me up everytime.

Last edited by allworldcaucasn*: 10-23-2008 at 06:28 AM.
allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Common then guys. No negative attitude. I have a good feeling about tonight, its going to happen. I am expecting Lupul to have a monster of a game as with hartnell. Players jobs are now on the line, as with the coach. Backs against the wall time to show the flyers spirit
I do believe i hit this one quite on the head.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:01 AM
sickamore

So Hitch was fired because he "lost the team". Now Stevens is flailing and failing and I've seen some say he's "lost the team".

I wonder if starting off the youth movement by firing a coach because the players didn't feel like playing set up a precedence that these guys can just quit and the coach will be fired instead of them having to pull their craniums from their rectums.

Of course the coaching carousel didn't start with Hitch, but he was a good coach with a nice resume and had a pretty good run with Esche backstopping mostly over-the-hill talent. Plus, Snider said when he was hired that the onus would be on the players to adjust to the coach. So much for sticking to his word.

Last year was fun for the final result, but I wonder where they'd be now if Hitch was kept on, consistency of coaching made the players accountable, and an actual system was in place.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Opus

I just saw the highlites as I missed the game lastnight, and holy hell...Biron let in two brutal goals.

I also saw Niitty was pulled after letting 4 goals after just 20 minutes.

*sigh*

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:26 AM
FlyersMania2

i always stop watching when we get to the shootout when Marty is in net. Dude couldn't stop a beach ball...seriously. Nitty didn't have his best game tonight but our D had one of their worst. Can't wait for Johnny boy to blame goaltending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Put Niitty back in. We all know Marty sucks at shootouts.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:33 AM
dzd ncnfzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
You should hear the Sharks announcer calling him Danielle Briere. Cracks me up everytime.
Thats how Daniel is pronounced in French.....

Anyhow, hard luck guys, methinks you need to shore up the defence, you have good+ goal-tending, need a good defence that can transition to go along with it and your superior offence.

dzd ncnfzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:34 AM
FlyersMania2

Since we have brought Stevens on board as head coach I have been sure of two things about him 1-he doesn't know anything about defense (as a former defenseman, though mostly AHL, it's sad) 2- he is a little SPED

so whenever he pulls the goalie at the end of the game or we go into OT...basically anytime he brings out his clipboard I do the "this is a blue duck. i drew a blue duck because i've never seen one before" dialogue from Billy Madison because I can't believe that he knows what he is talking about when he shows the players that thing anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
alright, OT let's hold our breath

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It got to the point where Stevens had no choice but to put Kukkonen on defense and replace Alberts. Good Lord....
Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Another would be for Downie to play the entire game without getting benched or for Stevens to actually hold some of the bigger name players accountable. That would be a novel concept.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
My two cents: There needs to be a shake-up. If firing the coach is too drastic, then the coach needs to send a few to ride the pine and call up some Phantoms--might not be a bad idea against Brodeur, who won't be 'in their heads.' Something's gotta give--the same handful of players play hard every night and the others don't seem able or willing to follow suit.

EDIT: I think we may see a big trade for a d-man, and it may mean seeing some players a lot of us really like going the other way.
He already tried that with sending down Downie and Ross. Apparantly they weren't the problem or at least the only problem. I don't see how benching Downie was supposed to spark the team, he does that every game whether the team needs a spark or not.

Old
10-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Isn't that one of the signs of the apocalypse?

Another would be for Downie to play the entire game without getting benched or for Stevens to actually hold some of the bigger name players accountable. That would be a novel concept.
What bigger name players should be heald accountable? Richards has played good. Carter has been great all season. Timonen has been great pretty much every shift. Gagne has been the most consistant goal scorer. Coburn has been hot and cold but the defense has been so bad he has still been the 2nd best dman this year. Lupul has sucked up until this game but are you really going to bench a goal scoring threat when you need to try to score 6-7 goals just to be in each game?

As much as Stevens is a retard, Downie seriously sucks at hockey and so does Kukk. Thats not saying much for Alberts to get the pine in the nice warm spot Kukk made for him.

Quote:
He already tried that with sending down Downie and Ross. Apparantly they weren't the problem or at least the only problem. I don't see how benching Downie was supposed to spark the team, he does that every game whether the team needs a spark or not.
I dont think it was really meant to spark the team as much as downie just not being a good hockey player. I know we all love the game Downie plays and the energy and blah blah blah but in all reality he isnt any good right now. That doesnt mean he wont be a good player in the NHL some day but right now he should be in the A.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:31 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
After watching the Highlights video I'm even more of the mind that this is a carbon copy of the Rangers game. It even included Marty's wraparound mistake (dammit Marty) and the goal of the face off.

Lupul's first goal and Cannon's goal were beautiful though.
*I'm not saying marty played well in this post. I'm merely trying to give reasons for why he's playing poorly*

The "weak goals" that marty has given up can not be put squarely on him. Both of the goals that Biron gave up can not be put, solely, on him.

On the first goal he gives up a pretty bad rebound (he needs to know where that puck is). But then boyle beats every single player on this team to the puck, skates in untouched and scores.

On the second goal marleau skates in and goes wide. Marty comes out to cut down the angle (correct move) and Marleau takes it behind the net.... The rest is history. At no point in this play did the defender put a body on Marleau. Nobody cut him off behind the net. Nobody covered the other side of the net. Marty was hung out to dry a little bit on this play imo

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:38 AM
kicksave27

I think they should have a new promotion when biron is starting. All goalies bring your gear and have a drawing to see who gets to play in the shootout if it occurs. Normally i laugh at the drunken fan who thinks that can do something better than a pro. But on shootouts i know I could do better. I'd like to take the time to also wonder what Lemelin is doing to fix the wrap around issues, along with the shootouts, which apparently hasn't been fixed. Martin Brodeur used to have trouble with wrap arounds in the early 90s but was able to fix it.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
What bigger name players should be heald accountable? Richards has played good. Carter has been great all season. Timonen has been great pretty much every shift. Gagne has been the most consistant goal scorer. Coburn has been hot and cold but the defense has been so bad he has still been the 2nd best dman this year. Lupul has sucked up until this game but are you really going to bench a goal scoring threat when you need to try to score 6-7 goals just to be in each game?
As much as Stevens is a retard, Downie seriously sucks at hockey and so does Kukk. Thats not saying much for Alberts to get the pine in the nice warm spot Kukk made for him.

I dont think it was really meant to spark the team as much as downie just not being a good hockey player. I know we all love the game Downie plays and the energy and blah blah blah but in all reality he isnt any good right now. That doesnt mean he wont be a good player in the NHL some day but right now he should be in the A.

Knuble, Briere, and Lupul for starters. They are part of the reason why you need to score 6 or 7 goals every game. We can't hold people accountable because we need to score 6 goals and we have to score 6 goals because noone's accountable on defense. Sounds like a logic problem. Which is more important, trying to score an absurd number of goals a game or tightening up the team's defensive play? You can't have it both ways.

Whether you like Downie or not you have to agree that him being benched for every game wasn't doing him any good and that having him play big minutes somewhere can only help. I personally think the further away from Stevens he get's the better off he'll be.

Old
10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Knuble, Briere, and Lupul for starters. They are part of the reason why you need to score 6 or 7 goals every game. We can't hold people accountable because we need to score 6 goals and we have to score 6 goals because noone's accountable on defense. Sounds like a logic problem. Which is more important, trying to score an absurd number of goals a game or tightening up the team's defensive play? You can't have it both ways.

Whether you like Downie or not you have to agree that him being benched for every game wasn't doing him any good and that having him play big minutes somewhere can only help. I personally think the further away from Stevens he get's the better off he'll be.
I agree. Briere you know what your going to get from him. You know hes goign to give you points but hes going to suck on defense. Knuble, whats the point of yelling at the guy, he will just turn down his hearing aid. Lupul has been trash up until last night so yeah i think yiour right about him.

With Downie, I just see a lot of people compkaining when they sent him down like it was so stupid but in the end, hes going to get more ice time and he is just not ready to play in the NHL. Thats true though, just get him away from Stevens, the guys a cancer.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Tommy D

... so I wake up this AM to see were still argueing about our goalies... whay joy.

I wonder, are the guys in our locker room doing the same. Have they started to wisper every time we fall behind by a goal to each other?

... do they figure they MUST score on a shoot out attempt as our guys are seives?

Right now we should all take a @#$% chill pill. Blaming the goalie ain't going to give us 2 points. Shake off this loss <again> and move @#$% forward.

Oh, BTW did anyone check the Sharks board to see if they were blasting THEIR netminder? Not once, in the past 2 games here have I ready anyone saying, "boy that was a lucky goal by us"...

Hang in their guys or it's going to be a L O N G season!

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I think they should have a new promotion when biron is starting. All goalies bring your gear and have a drawing to see who gets to play in the shootout if it occurs. Normally i laugh at the drunken fan who thinks that can do something better than a pro. But on shootouts i know I could do better. I'd like to take the time to also wonder what Lemelin is doing to fix the wrap around issues, along with the shootouts, which apparently hasn't been fixed. Martin Brodeur used to have trouble with wrap arounds in the early 90s but was able to fix it.
Maybe have a defender not let the shooter go untouched around the back of the net and/or have another defender protecting the side of the net?

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
mercury

My buddy and I were in front of these two super-slutty-looking chicks at the Will Call last night, and I overheard the girl behind me ask for her tickets with her name. She added, "Jeff Carter left them." Looks like he scored more than once last night.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote