HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYR and COL as trading partners

Old
10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Drury37

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Drury37
NYR and COL as trading partners

I think these two teams could definitely get something done as the Rangers with their center depth and the Avs with their wing depth are a match.

Three names I wanted to discuss in here

Svatos/Wolski - Colorado will probably not have the cap space to sign both of these players but they are signed reasonably. I think the Rangers would be able to send in a high draft pick and some expiring contracts in there to facilitate things a young centre like Korpikoski, would make a lot of sense as a developing second line center, to take over the reigns when Sakic retires such and such. Prucha would probably represent a fit on the Avs as well. Svatos and Wolski have similar value in my opinion and may be more valuable elsewhere all things considered, especially Svatos considering Wolski's age. If Colorado wants both of these players to resign a player the Rangers could move for could be

Milan Hejduk - Here is a solid finisher who is past his prime but is still an asset anyway you slice it. With the Rangers in win now mode, Hejduk could be a player that could not only be a sniper on the wings, he could be a guy to get Drury started as they were together in the Avalanche organization for both of their developmental years and have won cups as linemates (I think they were on the same line). Due to the salary cap the Avalanche would need to take back Rosival or Zherdev type player in a deal which I don't know how the Avs would feel but the Rangers probably wouldnt lose sleep over it. If Adam Foote was worth a first Hejduk is as well and with the Rangers having not as good luck with their first round picks in the last 25 or so years I would be ok sending it to Colorado, ( and they may need a first as well considering they did not have one last year and they are in a semi-rebuilding phase). This would facilitate such a deal.

Basically I have nothing solid but figured it might be a decent conversation starter on a lazy day. have fun

Drury37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Center depth is exactly the reason we can't bring up TJ Hensick. None of Svatos, Wolski, or Hejduk are being traded with their contracts being as reasonable as they are. When Svatos and Wolski are up for their next contracts (the 10-11 season), Sakic will be retired, Foote will be retired, and much of that money (among other minor UFAs) will be dedicated to those three + Paul Stastny.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:30 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

The guys you mentioned for Svatos/Wolski are in no way better. I don't see anything that the Rangers have, other than Dubinsky, that the Avs would want. Wolski is actually a centreman, there's just too much dept.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
bcrt2000

If the Rangers would be trade partners with anyone, it would be a team with a ton of cap space. With the very real possibility of the cap going down to $50 Million (a hockey journalist estimated that it might go to that in today's paper), and the Rangers having Zherdev and Dubinsky RFAs at the end of the season, you'd think they'd want to dump the following to make sure they protect their best line:

- Rozsival
- Their extra 4th liner forwards
- Perhaps one of their big ticket centremen

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:39 PM
AvsGuy

I personally would probably trade Hejduk for Zherdev. I'm not sure if that's what the poster was proposing, and it would be a hard trade for Colorado to make, but I love Zherdev's upside.

Svatos and Leopold for Zherdev? Please?

AvsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post
I personally would probably trade Hejduk for Zherdev. I'm not sure if that's what the poster was proposing, and it would be a hard trade for Colorado to make, but I love Zherdev's upside.

Nooooooooo.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:09 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I like Svatos, I like Wolski, and I like Hedjuk (Unless Drury can get going, the Rangers may need a solid finisher).

That said...

Svatos>Prucha Similar players though. There were lots of comparisons during their rookie campaigns. The difference in them now can be debated but, to me, it's summed up in two words...Shanahan and Renney.

Wolski>Korpikoski (even as much as I love Korpeedo, he's a rookie and still pretty much a prospect. Maybe he's got higher potential, but he's yet to prove anything.)

Hejduk > than any single player you mentioned.

Other points...

Rangers have had 3 forwards, 2-3 of them being wingers as a healthy scratch for every one of their 9 games this season. So "if" Colorado has forward depth and so does NY and you're looking at moving scoring forwards for scoring forwards, how do they make good trading partners? Now if the Rangers could provide Colorado with goal tending security it might be different, but Colorado fans know their needs better than I do.

"win now mode"? Is this your personal feeling, in that you want them to win now and you're willing to blow whatever future there could be on the now? I think the Rangers are in more of a "lets be competitive now and continue to get better mode". When you've got an elite team and a plethora of young depth, then it makes sense to blow a wod of resources on some final pieces to put you over the top....the Rangers aren't there, maybe Montreal is.

I just don't see these teams as good trading partners. I don't think they have much to offer each other.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury37 View Post
I think these two teams could definitely get something done as the Rangers with their center depth and the Avs with their wing depth are a match.

Three names I wanted to discuss in here

Svatos/Wolski - Colorado will probably not have the cap space to sign both of these players but they are signed reasonably. I think the Rangers would be able to send in a high draft pick and some expiring contracts in there to facilitate things a young centre like Korpikoski, would make a lot of sense as a developing second line center, to take over the reigns when Sakic retires such and such. Prucha would probably represent a fit on the Avs as well. Svatos and Wolski have similar value in my opinion and may be more valuable elsewhere all things considered, especially Svatos considering Wolski's age. If Colorado wants both of these players to resign a player the Rangers could move for could be

Milan Hejduk - Here is a solid finisher who is past his prime but is still an asset anyway you slice it. With the Rangers in win now mode, Hejduk could be a player that could not only be a sniper on the wings, he could be a guy to get Drury started as they were together in the Avalanche organization for both of their developmental years and have won cups as linemates (I think they were on the same line). Due to the salary cap the Avalanche would need to take back Rosival or Zherdev type player in a deal which I don't know how the Avs would feel but the Rangers probably wouldnt lose sleep over it. If Adam Foote was worth a first Hejduk is as well and with the Rangers having not as good luck with their first round picks in the last 25 or so years I would be ok sending it to Colorado, ( and they may need a first as well considering they did not have one last year and they are in a semi-rebuilding phase). This would facilitate such a deal.

Basically I have nothing solid but figured it might be a decent conversation starter on a lazy day. have fun

Of the three players you mentioned Svatos is the only one that realistically could/would be moved. And the Avs wouldn't be looking for forwards in return, but goaltending help. So unless the Rangers are willing to move Lundqvist or a blue chip goaltending prospect I don't see the Avs and Rangers as good trading partners.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy View Post

Haha no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
Of the three players you mentioned Svatos is the only one that realistically could/would be moved. And the Avs wouldn't be looking for forwards in return, but goaltending help. So unless the Rangers are willing to move Lundqvist or a blue chip goaltending prospect I don't see the Avs and Rangers as good trading partners.
Damn you Al Montoya!

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Drury37

Send a message via AIM to Drury37
I wasn't proposing anything persay I was just looking at some players who I thought would be availible and trying to piece some things together. Svatos and Hejduk I think would be excellent pickups for the Rangers.

The greatest concern for the Rangers this season is to get Drury going offensively. He played great centering Callahan and Dawes but with the emergence of Dubinsky, Drury is stuck on the wing and his talents aren't getting maximized.

If we had kept Al Montoya he would have been an ideal piece in this situation, and the Avalanche are in a lot better situation capwise than I realized at first, so I thought Hejduk might be expendible, but with Sakic retiring there really is no need for them to do anything but get a goalie at this stage.

Basically I was going off the assumption that a 1st rounder and a young 2nd/3rd line type player could net a return, but the Avalanche representatives seem to like where they are at.

I like where the Rangers are at but I do think that they might be just short this year and may need to get creative.

Drury37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Keep in mind, Hejduk has a NTC.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 04:51 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

you're aware that Wolski's primary position is center right?

granted...pretty much noone is taking sakic or stastny's job as a center, and wolski playing 3rd line minutes sounds like a bad idea

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote