HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#6 -- Flyers vs. Sharks -- October 22, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-23-2008, 09:09 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
After watching the Highlights video I'm even more of the mind that this is a carbon copy of the Rangers game. It even included Marty's wraparound mistake (dammit Marty) and the goal of the face off.

Lupul's first goal and Cannon's goal were beautiful though.
Yeah, I love Marty and I am confident he will come out of this little slump, but what the hell has he been thinking on those two wrap arounds????? It looks like someone that never played goalie before

Oh, I love how the game Briere was moved to center he scores 2 goals and the game Lupul is finally put with Richards, Lupul scores two goals. I know I was in the minority in wanting Briere at center, but how many of us on here have been saying "LUPUL NEEDS TO PLAY WITH RICHARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

God, Stevens is a dope.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Just for the hell of it I looked at Marty's career shootout stats. Pretty awful.

Career Stats
Lowest save pct (min 30 shots)
Martin Biron BUF, PHI 15/37 = 0.405
Worst in the entire NHL.

Lowest winning pct (min 10 shootouts)
Martin Biron BUF, PHI 4/15 = 0.267
Overall is 4th worst in NHL. The only current goalie that is worse than him is Toskala

2007-2008
Martin Biron PHI 7/20 = 0.350

Those were his numbers in the shootout last year. The 7 saves he did make were shots that probably missed the net. No lie.

Stats came from here: http://www.nhlshootouts.com/ShootoutStats.htm

great website for all shootout information
Yeah, he sucks on shootouts, plain and simple........Just win the damn games before then and it wont be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Knuble, Briere, and Lupul for starters. They are part of the reason why you need to score 6 or 7 goals every game. We can't hold people accountable because we need to score 6 goals and we have to score 6 goals because noone's accountable on defense. Sounds like a logic problem. Which is more important, trying to score an absurd number of goals a game or tightening up the team's defensive play? You can't have it both ways.

Whether you like Downie or not you have to agree that him being benched for every game wasn't doing him any good and that having him play big minutes somewhere can only help. I personally think the further away from Stevens he get's the better off he'll be.
I agree on your first point. If Knuble and Lupul make boneheaded defensive plays or turnovers (which happens occasionally, so does Hartnell, Jones for that matter) I never remember any of them once being benched for a couple shifts........Only Upshall, Kukkonen and Downie. Its obviously either favoritism and/or bullying. As for Briere, he is what he is, and for the most part you just hope his offense outweighs his bad defense. Obviously I want him to be a little better than -20, but I dont worry too much about him. If he gives us 80 points, give or take, he has done his job. Having him at center also takes some of the focus off Richards and Carter, which is why at least one of the the three lines was hot at some point last year, cant defend all of them!!

I love Downie. Playing big minutes with the Phantoms will help as long as he looks at it as an opportunity to play (and get away from Stevens) and not as a demotion. I still dont think it was necessary though. You cant play someone for 4 minutes a game, a rookie none the less, and then bench him as soon as he makes a mistake. I am no director of player development, but I suspect that most rookies would not develop that way.......

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Orange Crush 89

Don't anyone panic. Remember, the walking hockey know-it-alls on here said you can't panic after one game, or two, or three, or four, or five and now that it's been six, you still can't panic. According to their infallible logic, you can never panic, ever. So everything is just fine. Nothing wrong with this ship(t?) at all.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:24 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Don't anyone panic. Remember, the walking hockey know-it-alls on here said you can't panic after one game, or two, or three, or four, or five and now that it's been six, you still can't panic. According to their infallible logic, you can never panic, ever. So everything is just fine. Nothing wrong with this ship(t?) at all.
Once Randy Jones comes back all will be fine!!!!!!!!!! Randy is our Nik Lidstrom!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
There is a huge difference between winless in 3 and winless in 6.

I now hope that we lose 1 or 2 more so stevens gets canned.... This defensive system is ridiculous

Edit: I could never root against the flyers.... I hope they win and stevens gets canned

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I love Downie. Playing big minutes with the Phantoms will help as long as he looks at it as an opportunity to play (and get away from Stevens) and not as a demotion. I still dont think it was necessary though. You cant play someone for 4 minutes a game, a rookie none the less, and then bench him as soon as he makes a mistake. I am no director of player development, but I suspect that most rookies would not develop that way.......

Nothing against Nodl because I really hope he succeeds but it must be really nice to get called up to play 15 minutes with the top line your first time out.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:39 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Nothing against Nodl because I really hope he succeeds but it must be really nice to get called up to play 15 minutes with the top line your first time out.
Yeah, seriously....Thats cause Nodl is a nice little boy

Hey, does anyone know if Stevens is friends with Dean McAmmond or something????

Old
10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
My buddy and I were in front of these two super-slutty-looking chicks at the Will Call last night, and I overheard the girl behind me ask for her tickets with her name. She added, "Jeff Carter left them." Looks like he scored more than once last night.
Carter was with one of my good friends when he first got drafted by the flyers. Shes actually a maxim model, or was until she got knocked up. Then he moved on and was "dating" a friend of mine's cousin. Both are hot but *****...Carters **** must burn like crazy.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:12 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
hey, if he produces and shows that he can play, I have no problem at all with that. The kid can play as everyone can see

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Go Phils

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
There is a huge difference between winless in 3 and winless in 6.

I now hope that we lose 1 or 2 more so stevens gets canned.... This defensive system is ridiculous

Edit: I could never root against the flyers.... I hope they win and stevens gets canned
It's early enough that the greater good can be considered. I certainly wish they were playing better, but I'm not shocked at how they are playing...and Stevens deserves the "credit" for that to some extent. However, as said, Holmgren is seeing the turd sandwich he's put together on D first hand now.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It's early enough that the greater good can be considered. I certainly wish they were playing better, but I'm not shocked at how they are playing...and Stevens deserves the "credit" for that to some extent. However, as said, Holmgren is seeing the turd sandwich he's put together on D first hand now.

Holmgren wasn't left with much of an option coming in either, however. He has done a great deal on this tea in 2+ years. It's very hard to buy a defensive core in this era and you really need to cultivate your own defense.

Coming in we had just about no defensive prospects. Holmgren went out and got coburn, eminger, parent and sbisa. It's unfair to asssume they will play well right out of the gate (aside from coburn who has been amazing). However, in 2-3 years we will see the fruits of these moves when this defensive core matures. I'm not saying there aren't major holes on this defense. However, I am saying that Homer has done what he could given the cap situation and what he had coming into the year

Old
10-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Jester

Quote:
Holmgren wasn't left with much of an option coming in either, however. He has done a great deal on this tea in 2+ years. It's very hard to buy a defensive core in this era and you really need to cultivate your own defense.

Coming in we had just about no defensive prospects. Holmgren went out and got coburn, eminger, parent and sbisa. It's unfair to asssume they will play well right out of the gate (aside from coburn who has been amazing). However, in 2-3 years we will see the fruits of these moves when this defensive core matures. I'm not saying there aren't major holes on this defense. However, I am saying that Homer has done what he could given the cap situation and what he had coming into the year
I would be shocked if a more aggressive trade wasn't possible for the Flyers over the summer...a deal involving someone like Lupul, who Homer re-signed to a big contract long-term...btw.

Holmgren needs to make some HARD decisions with regard to the construction of this team if he wants it to compete for a Cup in the immediate. It is going to require moving some young talent at forward for young talent on the blue line. It's going to require parting with players that fans and the team like, in order to get other players the fans and the team will like.

He certainly could have looked into such deals over the summer, I obviously don't know. But from the outside, it didn't look like it. They kicked the tires on a couple of guys, but didn't pull the trigger on the big deal.

For example, Randy Jones is making 2.75M right now for us and Andrej Meszaros is making 4M for the Bolts...deals I would have liked to have seen us make.

Old
10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I would be shocked if a more aggressive trade wasn't possible for the Flyers over the summer...a deal involving someone like Lupul, who Homer re-signed to a big contract long-term...btw.

Holmgren needs to make some HARD decisions with regard to the construction of this team if he wants it to compete for a Cup in the immediate. It is going to require moving some young talent at forward for young talent on the blue line. It's going to require parting with players that fans and the team like, in order to get other players the fans and the team will like.

He certainly could have looked into such deals over the summer, I obviously don't know. But from the outside, it didn't look like it. They kicked the tires on a couple of guys, but didn't pull the trigger on the big deal.

For example, Randy Jones is making 2.75M right now for us and Andrej Meszaros is making 4M for the Bolts...deals I would have liked to have seen us make.

But the question is: do you want to win a cup now or have a possiblity of numerous cup runs in 2-3 years....

I would have loved to have seen lupul or knuble or jones get dealt for an upgrade, but how many teams would have taken lupul or knuble when D-men are in such high demand right now... If we keep things as they are this team will be a legitimate contender in 2-3 years (admittedly, I am tired of hearing that, tho).

In 2 years here are the ages of respective players...

Gagne-30
Briere-33
Carter-25
Richards-25
Lupul-27
Upshall-27
Hartnell-28
Giroux-22
JVR-21

Coburn-25
Eminger-26
Sbisa-20
Parent-23
Timmonen-35

That defensive core is more than solid imo and those forwards will be amazing. It's easy to forget how young this team is

Old
10-23-2008, 12:07 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Aw, it is sad to see Kimmo at 35. But i could see him playing for much longer. Hes too great.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Aw, it is sad to see Kimmo at 35. But i could see him playing for much longer. Hes too great.
Chelios is like a million years old.

Kimmo will play till he is 38, at least.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 12:36 PM

vCash: 50
Stevens has survived two 10 game winless runs. What makes you think another will be the end of him?

Last night was pros and cons.

Pros were good scoring, nice reactions to going behind and our powerplay finally clicking. Cons, netminding, defense and the PK.

What the **** is going on with our PK?

Last edited by 1865: 10-23-2008 at 02:57 PM.
1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
Stevens has survived two straight winless runs. What makes you think another will be the end of him?

Last night was pros and cons.

Pros were good scoring, nice reactions to going behind and our powerplay finally clicking. Cons, netminding, defense and the PK.

What the **** is going on with our PK?
What the **** is going on with our Defense?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
What the **** is going on with our Defense?
For good measure and bolded for emphasis:
What the **** is going on with our goalies?

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:33 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
For good measure and bolded for emphasis:
What the **** is going on with our goalies?
When the **** did we get ice cream?

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:32 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
When the **** did we get ice cream?
WHO GOT ICE CREAM? WHERE?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 03:35 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
But the question is: do you want to win a cup now or have a possiblity of numerous cup runs in 2-3 years....

I would have loved to have seen lupul or knuble or jones get dealt for an upgrade, but how many teams would have taken lupul or knuble when D-men are in such high demand right now... If we keep things as they are this team will be a legitimate contender in 2-3 years (admittedly, I am tired of hearing that, tho).

In 2 years here are the ages of respective players...

Gagne-30
Briere-33
Carter-25
Richards-25
Lupul-27
Upshall-27
Hartnell-28
Giroux-22
JVR-21

Coburn-25
Eminger-26
Sbisa-20
Parent-23
Timmonen-35

That defensive core is more than solid imo and those forwards will be amazing. It's easy to forget how young this team is
I want to win a cup.....Look at where the "competing every year" theory has gotten the eagles. This team is in perfect position to do both, sacrificing one or two good young forwards for some good dmen wont hurt that if we continue to draft well

Old
10-23-2008, 03:52 PM
McNasty

The biggest problem I saw in the two games against the sharks is the neutral zone. The sharks use quick, ACCURATE, short passes and find the open man and are able to gain our zone with speed. They don't set up and let us get back, with the Flyers if we don't get a turnover we don't gain the zone, we are forced to dump. The first two sharks goals were identical, Clowe passes to Pavelski at center ice, Pavelski passes it back to clowe just as he crosses the blueline so our defender is preoccupied with Pavelski. Now our defender goes towards Clowe who drops it back to the point (who is inexplicably wide open), the pointman has a clear lane to shoot because there is no forward pressuring him, and the defender that would be in the lane is on the half board, it also leaves Pavelski and the other winger down low with only our Left defenseman. It all comes down to the system, and thats why John Stevens needs to be fired, but I hope they wait until after the system. If you fire him now your going to promote from within, and if the team starts turning it around they will keep whoever they promote. Frankly other then Joe Mullen I wouldn't mind seeing the whole coaching staff overhauled.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 04:00 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I want to win a cup.....Look at where the "competing every year" theory has gotten the eagles. This team is in perfect position to do both, sacrificing one or two good young forwards for some good dmen wont hurt that if we continue to draft well
This is what I foresee happening. I think Lupul and Upshall may be anted up in a deal for a defenseman.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 04:06 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
This is what I foresee happening. I think Lupul and Upshall may be anted up in a deal for a defenseman.
I dont think we can afford to give up two off our roster, Lupul plus a prospect is more what I was thinking.

Obvioulsy Upshall isnt untouchable, but as others have said, he is the perfect third liner and will stay affordable unless his offensive numbers blow up. Most of our prospects are top 6 guys, having someone like him to stay on the 3rd line is perfect.

Old
10-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
The guy I said they should have looked at picking up is 23...http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78465