HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long can a Price/Halak tandem last?

Old
10-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
How long can a Price/Halak tandem last?

What do you guys think?

I'm a fan of both goalies and I feel very confident with both of them in net. I do think Price is our guy though and I'm hoping he'll be a lifelong Hab. But I think Halak is a guy we really need to keep. He can be a star in this league as well imo.

But I've been thinking lately..How long can a tandem like this last?

I'd love if both were our tenders for years to come. But is that realistic thinking?

If I had to choose one I'd definitely pick Price, but I doubt Halak would settle with being a backup in the NHL for too long.

How do you guys see this playing out?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Ross MacLochness

They're still so young it's impossible to know for sure whats going to happen. But I believe Halak is going no where for at least this season AND next offseason. Possibly more.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

A season and a half.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Beakermania*

till next trade deadline ie 2010... maybe even longer...

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Lone Rogue

Chicago had this problem once.

Ed Belfour was their young upstart, who had such a great first season, he won the Calder and Vezina and was nominated for the Hart. His back-up that year (the year Chicago went to the Finals) was some European goaltender named Dominik Hasek.

Now, no-one ever knew that Hasek was going to be as good as he became, but even back then, people knew he had starter potential.

There was no way the Blackhawks were going to let go a Vezina winning, Calder winning, Hart nominated starter for this Czech goaltender, but in the end, Hasek had the better career. It's not a prediction anyone could have ever made.

So, we got Price and Halak. Barring serious injury or a Theodore level crash, Carey Price is not going to lose the starting role to Jaroslav Halak. Sorry dreamers, go cheer for a different team if you think it'll happen. That said, it doesn't mean Halak might not have a few years on another team where he could rival Carey Price. It's all about keeping Halak until we can't keep him any longer, and the value for a young starter is at its highest. That could very well be at the end of this season, when teams like Philadelphia, Ottawa and Colorado are begging for stability between the pipes.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

Ed Belfour was their young upstart, who had such a great first season, he won the Calder and Vezina and was nominated for the Hart. His back-up that year (the year Chicago went to the Finals) was some European goaltender named Dominik Hasek.

Now, no-one ever knew that Hasek was going to be as good as he became, but even back then, people knew he had starter potential.

There was no way the Blackhawks were going to let go a Vezina winning, Calder winning, Hart nominated starter for this Czech goaltender, but in the end, Hasek had the better career. It's not a prediction anyone could have ever made.

So, we got Price and Halak. Barring serious injury or a Theodore level crash, Carey Price is not going to lose the starting role to Jaroslav Halak. Sorry dreamers, go cheer for a different team if you think it'll happen. That said, it doesn't mean Halak might not have a few years on another team where he could rival Carey Price. It's all about keeping Halak until we can't keep him any longer, and the value for a young starter is at its highest. That could very well be at the end of this season, when teams like Philadelphia, Ottawa and Colorado are begging for stability between the pipes.

(2011).... Halak+1st+2nd for Stastny

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
WeezyHabFan

it'll last forever

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:12 PM
NewHabsEra*

If I could last 2 years long with my ex-girlfriend, anything is possible..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:14 PM
Iwishihadacup

At least 3 years

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
I am gonna say June 2010 at the draft. They will deal Halak before he becomes a RFA that summer as an offer sheet could leave us with a very difficult decision to make.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:26 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

Maybe you should be the one cheering for another team.

Telling people what to think and/or feel is stupid and what makes these boards less and less fun. Arguing with valid points and debates are what make for good discussion, with some good humor thrown in.

Just because some fans like different players than you.. or feel that some players are better than others, doesn't mean they should cheer for another team.

Who has more hype? Price.
Who will be the Habs starter in three years? For all we know, it could be Cedrick Desjardins.
Who will have the better NHL career? Nobody has any idea at this point, not even you.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:40 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
(2011).... Halak+1st+2nd for Stastny
Well, at least send him to a team out West. If Halak has the ability to be a starter somewhere, I'd rather not see him do it within our conf. Don't mention Huet since he was going to be a UFA. It won't come that late for a trading of Halak. BTW for the guy who brought up Chicago, Belfour's rookie season was 1990-91 (though he had played in parts of the previous two) where the Hawks finished #1 in the league with 106 pts. yet lost to the 68 pt. North Stars in the first round. The Hawks slumped to 87 pts. the next year yet made the final (propelled by an 11 game winning streak through rounds 1-3).

Hasek became backup in 90-91 but his rookie season was 91-92 and he got traded to Buffalo at the end of it for Stephane Beauregard (promptly lost on waivers I believe or at least traded) and a 4th rounder (a salvaging of the deal since the Hawks got a steal with Eric Daze in that spot). I'd say if we could trade Halak out of conference, Price stays awesome (like Belfour did till they chose Hackett over him in 96-97), we get a back-up netminder and are able to use a mid-level draft pick to take a future solid goal scorer, it's a win no matter how good Halak becomes. Unless he were to beat us in a cup final, it'd be the best move we could have possibly made (fortunately or unfortunately). But I think if Halak keeps this up, we'll get more than a middling back-up and a 4th round pick for him too.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:59 AM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

My gift to you guys ...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/50340920c98237c2/

Komi on being a goalie

Last edited by ROEN: 10-24-2008 at 06:12 AM.
ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:05 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

Can someone explain to me how the market for goalies is so bad yet there are so many teams who don't have stability in goal. Is pride getting in the way of some gm's of making a decent offer. Once upon a time, a golaie like Halak and his potential could land you a #2 defencemen or a top two line winger. Now it seems like the most Halak could get you is late 1st round or high 2nd round draft pick.

I think gainey would accept any offer straight up if it included an established #4 dman. Is that so much to ask for?

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:48 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the market for goalies is so bad yet there are so many teams who don't have stability in goal. Is pride getting in the way of some gm's of making a decent offer. Once upon a time, a golaie like Halak and his potential could land you a #2 defencemen or a top two line winger. Now it seems like the most Halak could get you is late 1st round or high 2nd round draft pick.

I think gainey would accept any offer straight up if it included an established #4 dman. Is that so much to ask for?
Halak definitely won't be traded this year... last year Marc Denis couldn't even crack the Tampa Bay Lightning's roster by the end of the year, so even though he's been playing well in the AHL it'd be stupid to trade Halak because if Price gets injured or sick (like he is now) we'd have Denis as our starter.

We have a ridiculous amount of D prospects and other assets (draft picks, forwards prospects like D'Agostini) that could be used to get us a #4 dman at the trade deadline so there is no reason at all to trade Halak who not only gives us a chance to win every time he plays but his cap hit is a bargain, something we need for this coming off-season.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Maybe you should be the one cheering for another team.

Telling people what to think and/or feel is stupid and what makes these boards less and less fun. Arguing with valid points and debates are what make for good discussion, with some good humor thrown in.

Just because some fans like different players than you.. or feel that some players are better than others, doesn't mean they should cheer for another team.

Who has more hype? Price.
Who will be the Habs starter in three years? For all we know, it could be Cedrick Desjardins.
Who will have the better NHL career? Nobody has any idea at this point, not even you.
I know what he means and I agree with him. I was saying to my friends a few days ago that even if Halak would be better in a year, chances are that the Habs would still trade him away in order to keep Price. He's not saying that Price is better than Halak, but just that because of many factors, Price will always be on top of Halak...at least, in Montreal. Price is a semi-god...you can't hardly change that.

As for the original question, it won't last longer than Halak's contract. We won't be able to re-sign him as a backup. Hopefully, his value will only go up and we'll get a nice return for him. There will be takers for sure!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post

The market is so bad cause there are way more goalies available than teams struggling with goaltending.... that and the fact that no GM is pushing the panic button yet.

As much as we like Halak and his potential; the fact remains that a guy with 20 or so career NHL starts hasn't proven much at this point in his career. Keep him for a year and a half... give him 25-30 starts a year. Hopefully he is as good as we all think, cause if he is then his value will go up.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Fozz

Toskala lasted 4 years as Nabokov's backup before being dealt (along with piece of crap Bell) for a conditional 1st, a 2nd and a 4th round pick.

I really believe that we will keep Halak for another year or two, unless a team comes along and offers us the moon for him.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Tuggy

I say go with it as long as they can. Assuming Halak continues to improve then his value will increase and could get the Habs a nice return. I don't think trading him this season would be the best use of an asset. Of course this all hinges on Halak staying happy in Montreal playing behind Price.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:39 AM
ReVeuF

A Halak+ Price will last a long time IF Price is often sick like he is now...

Halak can't complain he does not play often right now.

Bob G. will use him as a bait at trade deadline or during the summer if Halak got good stats this season.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-24-2008 at 09:55 AM.
ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:05 AM
TheCH*

Price and Halak could last a nice while. But Halak HAS to play, he can't be riding the pine for excessive amounts of time. I am thinking he should get around 32 starts, leaving Price with the other 50. I know Price has all the hype, but well all know Halak has star potential so at least give him the chance to prove his worth and for all we know he could end up better then Price.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I'd like it to last at least until trade deadline '10. A goalie as good as Halak is a steal at the salary he's making.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:28 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Well, at least send him to a team out West. If Halak has the ability to be a starter somewhere, I'd rather not see him do it within our conf. Don't mention Huet since he was going to be a UFA. It won't come that late for a trading of Halak. BTW for the guy who brought up Chicago, Belfour's rookie season was 1990-91 (though he had played in parts of the previous two) where the Hawks finished #1 in the league with 106 pts. yet lost to the 68 pt. North Stars in the first round. The Hawks slumped to 87 pts. the next year yet made the final (propelled by an 11 game winning streak through rounds 1-3).

Hasek became backup in 90-91 but his rookie season was 91-92 and he got traded to Buffalo at the end of it for Stephane Beauregard (promptly lost on waivers I believe or at least traded) and a 4th rounder (a salvaging of the deal since the Hawks got a steal with Eric Daze in that spot). I'd say if we could trade Halak out of conference, Price stays awesome (like Belfour did till they chose Hackett over him in 96-97), we get a back-up netminder and are able to use a mid-level draft pick to take a future solid goal scorer, it's a win no matter how good Halak becomes. Unless he were to beat us in a cup final, it'd be the best move we could have possibly made (fortunately or unfortunately). But I think if Halak keeps this up, we'll get more than a middling back-up and a 4th round pick for him too.

Wow, I wasn't aware of all that!

very, very interesting post!

I would also say keep them as long as you can, but realisticly the trade deadline 2010 seems to be a reasonable number, as he'll get a huge pay raise when his contract and hopefully, his value will be at the highest.

unless Denis continues to play like a god in the bulldogs this year, then Halak could be affordable this year for the right price

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyHabFan View Post
it'll last forever
Forever-ever?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I know what he means and I agree with him.
I doubt Halak would ever get the nod over Price either, but there is always a chance.

But it's not him saying that Price will be our future goalie that pisses me off.. it's him saying if you want to think that Halak will be our goalie to go cheer for another team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
As much as we like Halak and his potential; the fact remains that a guy with 20 or so career NHL starts hasn't proven much at this point in his career. Keep him for a year and a half... give him 25-30 starts a year. Hopefully he is as good as we all think, cause if he is then his value will go up.
Neither of our goalies have proved much other than that they have been good since Junior.. and they aren't any signs of that changing. Price hasn't played in too many more games than Halak (18).

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-24-2008 at 09:55 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote