HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lapierre reminds me of Kesler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2008, 08:09 PM
  #51
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
Not Kesler, but...

Lapierre is VERY similar to Alex Burrows, which I guess is a good thing.
Unfortunately Burrows is also better than Lapierre.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:57 PM
  #52
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post


Future Gui approves this post!
oh... my... god!

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:50 PM
  #53
benji
Took too much, man.
 
benji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Too much.
Posts: 10,452
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
I can see Lapierre having a career year of 20 goals eventually. Let me stress "career-year" because I don't see it happening a lot, but some players just have great seasons once in awhile and it's not like he's completely incompetent.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:12 AM
  #54
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post


Future Gui approves this post!
Guillaume Kostitsyn!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:33 AM
  #55
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,919
vCash: 500
I'm loving Lapierre this season. He's been a pest, and man is he something on the PK.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:33 AM
  #56
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Not a great comparison IMO. I love Lapierre, he was awesome in the playoffs and his personality is a great fit on this team.

I see him as a winger though. A speedy winger, who is excellent at forechecking, in the corners, defensively, on the PK, and getting under opponents skin with his **** eating smirk.

I see him developing into one of the best energy players in the game. but he has little to no offensive upside besides his speed.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:20 AM
  #57
Erika
Registered User
 
Erika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ville Lasalle
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Maxim Lapierre used to get under my skin but so far this year he has been impressing.

He reminds me a lot of Ryan Kesler, of the Vancouver Canucks. They have a lot of similarities in their game.

I believe they are both really really fast right-handed centerman. Before Kesler exploded last season with 21 goals, he was mostly regarded as a guy that wasn't that good defensively, didn't play the PK much, wasn't great on faceoffs, didn't have much playmaking ability and was a shoot-first energy type of player. He was a grinder with a mean streak.

This description fits Lapierre well, and it seems as though Lapierre has improved defensively as well as in the faceoff dot, and I think his work on the PK has been amazing thus far.

I'd like to see Lapierre keep up what he's doing so far, and once he's got the defensive play down, who else thinks Lappy could score 15-20 goals for the Habs in a 3rd-line role, sorta like what Ryan Kesler is doing right now for the Nucks?

Because let's face it, with Lapierre's up-tempo style of play, speed and intensity, if he had a good shot and any sort of hockey sense, and the necessary ice time, he could score a lot of goals.

I know some like to compare him to Mike Fisher from the Ottawa Senators, but in my book Fisher is a much better playmaker, has better on-ice vision, and is MUCH better in his own zone than Lapierre as of right now.

Will Lapierre ever improve offensively?


Hmmmm .... Sorry, but Kesler >>> Lapierre in every aspects of the game... Kesler is very underrated.

Lapierre IMO. is more comparable to guys like Alex Burrows, Ian Laperriere and Jarkko Ruutu.



Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:59 AM
  #58
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Maxim Lapierre used to get under my skin but so far this year he has been impressing.

He reminds me a lot of Ryan Kesler, of the Vancouver Canucks. They have a lot of similarities in their game.

I believe they are both really really fast right-handed centerman. Before Kesler exploded last season with 21 goals, he was mostly regarded as a guy that wasn't that good defensively, didn't play the PK much, wasn't great on faceoffs, didn't have much playmaking ability and was a shoot-first energy type of player. He was a grinder with a mean streak.

This description fits Lapierre well, and it seems as though Lapierre has improved defensively as well as in the faceoff dot, and I think his work on the PK has been amazing thus far.

I'd like to see Lapierre keep up what he's doing so far, and once he's got the defensive play down, who else thinks Lappy could score 15-20 goals for the Habs in a 3rd-line role, sorta like what Ryan Kesler is doing right now for the Nucks?

Because let's face it, with Lapierre's up-tempo style of play, speed and intensity, if he had a good shot and any sort of hockey sense, and the necessary ice time, he could score a lot of goals.

I know some like to compare him to Mike Fisher from the Ottawa Senators, but in my book Fisher is a much better playmaker, has better on-ice vision, and is MUCH better in his own zone than Lapierre as of right now.

Will Lapierre ever improve offensively?
Wow.

I don't even know where to start.

I'm not sure if you have no idea how Kesler plays, no idea how Lapierre plays, or if it's both. There's a lot wrong here.

First of all, they play very, very different games. Even before Kesler stepped up his game offensively, he played nothing like Maxim Lapierre. You claim Kesler was "mostly regarded as a guy that wasn't good defensively."

Huh?

Regarded by who? He's always been praised as a solid two way player, dating back to his pre-NHL days. During the World Junior Championships he was often compared to former NHLer Mike Ricci - who was an outstanding Junior hockey player, because Kesler was such a well rounded player. He worked hard, never gave up on a play, took the body, handled his defensive responsibilities and chipped in offensively.

Now, after some apprenticeship in the AHL and a few NHL seasons, that description fits Ryan Kesler pretty well. In fact, the comparison to Mike Ricci fits pretty well.

But does any of that sound like Maxim Lapierre? Other then the fact they both can play center on both are best suited to the bottom two lines, there's really not much to compare about them at all.

Your description of him "He's a shoot first energy type player" grossly underestimates Ryan Keslers abilities both offensively and defensively. If you were to post this comparison in the National Hockey League discussion room you'd get torn apart. You can compare Lappy to Kesler as a rookie, as a 2nd year player, hell as an AHL player and it doesn't matter. These are two different players with very different skill sets and grossly different ceilings.

My guess is you don't watch a lot of Canucks games. If Maxim Lapierre really was even remotely like Ryan Kesler, Kyle Chipchura would already be traded.

And by the way, if I had to pick someone in our system who actually *was* remotely like Kesler, (minus the skating) it would be Chippy.


Last edited by FerrisRox: 10-24-2008 at 02:04 AM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:42 AM
  #59
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,300
vCash: 500
Lapierre doesn't have the talent, grit and balls of Kesler.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:10 AM
  #60
Brass
Registered User
 
Brass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: laurentides
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Maxim Lapierre used to get under my skin but so far this year he has been impressing.

He reminds me a lot of Ryan Kesler, of the Vancouver Canucks. They have a lot of similarities in their game.

I believe they are both really really fast right-handed centerman. Before Kesler exploded last season with 21 goals, he was mostly regarded as a guy that wasn't that good defensively, didn't play the PK much, wasn't great on faceoffs, didn't have much playmaking ability and was a shoot-first energy type of player. He was a grinder with a mean streak.

This description fits Lapierre well, and it seems as though Lapierre has improved defensively as well as in the faceoff dot, and I think his work on the PK has been amazing thus far.

I'd like to see Lapierre keep up what he's doing so far, and once he's got the defensive play down, who else thinks Lappy could score 15-20 goals for the Habs in a 3rd-line role, sorta like what Ryan Kesler is doing right now for the Nucks?

Because let's face it, with Lapierre's up-tempo style of play, speed and intensity, if he had a good shot and any sort of hockey sense, and the necessary ice time, he could score a lot of goals.

I know some like to compare him to Mike Fisher from the Ottawa Senators, but in my book Fisher is a much better playmaker, has better on-ice vision, and is MUCH better in his own zone than Lapierre as of right now.

Will Lapierre ever improve offensively?
... non , a less talented burrows ive always thought

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:32 AM
  #61
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Guillaume Kostitsyn!
Now that you mention it, isn't it funny how both their "girlfriends" had a child at around the same time? And how Guillaume started to get fatter because of all that "McDonalds" he was "eating"?

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:18 AM
  #62
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Wow.

I don't even know where to start.

I'm not sure if you have no idea how Kesler plays, no idea how Lapierre plays, or if it's both. There's a lot wrong here.

First of all, they play very, very different games. Even before Kesler stepped up his game offensively, he played nothing like Maxim Lapierre. You claim Kesler was "mostly regarded as a guy that wasn't good defensively."

Huh?

Regarded by who? He's always been praised as a solid two way player, dating back to his pre-NHL days. During the World Junior Championships he was often compared to former NHLer Mike Ricci - who was an outstanding Junior hockey player, because Kesler was such a well rounded player. He worked hard, never gave up on a play, took the body, handled his defensive responsibilities and chipped in offensively.

Now, after some apprenticeship in the AHL and a few NHL seasons, that description fits Ryan Kesler pretty well. In fact, the comparison to Mike Ricci fits pretty well.

But does any of that sound like Maxim Lapierre? Other then the fact they both can play center on both are best suited to the bottom two lines, there's really not much to compare about them at all.

Your description of him "He's a shoot first energy type player" grossly underestimates Ryan Keslers abilities both offensively and defensively. If you were to post this comparison in the National Hockey League discussion room you'd get torn apart. You can compare Lappy to Kesler as a rookie, as a 2nd year player, hell as an AHL player and it doesn't matter. These are two different players with very different skill sets and grossly different ceilings.

My guess is you don't watch a lot of Canucks games. If Maxim Lapierre really was even remotely like Ryan Kesler, Kyle Chipchura would already be traded.

And by the way, if I had to pick someone in our system who actually *was* remotely like Kesler, (minus the skating) it would be Chippy.
Strange, that description fits Maxim Lapierre pretty well too despite what you're saying.

Ask Canucks fans... in his early years Kesler wasn't THAT good in his own end, yes he was good but not as good as he is TODAY. Lapierre still has a lot to learn, he will get better as well.

Maybe some of you need to step outside of the 'HF consensus' sometimes....

And no I would not post this on the main board because most people over there havn't seen both play enough and think Lapierre is just a 4th liner that has no talent and Kesler one of the best two-way player in the game... and both are not true IMO.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:30 AM
  #63
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Strange, that description fits Maxim Lapierre pretty well too despite what you're saying.

Ask Canucks fans... in his early years Kesler wasn't THAT good in his own end, yes he was good but not as good as he is TODAY. Lapierre still has a lot to learn, he will get better as well.

Maybe some of you need to step outside of the 'HF consensus' sometimes....

And no I would not post this on the main board because most people over there havn't seen both play enough and think Lapierre is just a 4th liner that has no talent and Kesler one of the best two-way player in the game... and both are not true IMO.
2 years ago Kessler was already a hot commodity because he was considered a guy who could play against top lines every night. Lapierre who is working hard, doesn't have much in the way of instinctive play. He contributes, and can play on the team but Lapierre has a lot to improve on to get to Kessler's game.

If Chip could move better, he'd be in that role now.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:38 AM
  #64
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
He's not really good offensively. He's alright, but I can't see him getting anywhere near Kesler. IMO, it's a bad comparaison. Kesler is just better at everything!

Lapierre don't have the shot and the shot accuracy to be a scorer. He'll be alright, creating things here and there, but that's about it.
Kesler is a better player, no argument there, but Lapierre is bigger and faster than him. Kesler is more of a cerebral player while Lapierre has to rely on hard work and skating.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:39 AM
  #65
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
2 years ago Kessler was already a hot commodity because he was considered a guy who could play against top lines every night. Lapierre who is working hard, doesn't have much in the way of instinctive play. He contributes, and can play on the team but Lapierre has a lot to improve on to get to Kessler's game.

If Chip could move better, he'd be in that role now.
Not much more to add McPhee, I think that Lapierre's future is either on a 4 line wing or in another organization. With Chips and White in Hamilton, his time centering the fourth line ending.

BTW, driving your way on Sunday. Son is playing a game near Cornwall.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:54 AM
  #66
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Lapierre reminds me of Justin Trudeau.

They both have such lovely locks of bouncy auburn hair.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:00 AM
  #67
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Not much more to add McPhee, I think that Lapierre's future is either on a 4 line wing or in another organization. With Chips and White in Hamilton, his time centering the fourth line ending.

BTW, driving your way on Sunday. Son is playing a game near Cornwall.
Whereabouts ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
  #68
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,268
vCash: 500
I think Lapierre's a unique talent, actually. Certainly not in Kesler's mold, nor as good as him, but I like Lapierre's combination of speed, tenacity, board-work, and ability to just get things done. He's good at keeping the puck ahead of him and getting it through opponents, and he's good at getting the puck to the net quickly then hammering at it. I don't think he's anything like Kesler, and may not score 20 goals a year, but I do like him for 10-15 goals consistently.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:12 AM
  #69
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I think Lapierre's a unique talent, actually. Certainly not in Kesler's mold, nor as good as him, but I like Lapierre's combination of speed, tenacity, board-work, and ability to just get things done. He's good at keeping the puck ahead of him and getting it through opponents, and he's good at getting the puck to the net quickly then hammering at it. I don't think he's anything like Kesler, and may not score 20 goals a year, but I do like him for 10-15 goals consistently.
Don't forget the fact that he can be a real bugger. We haven't had anyone like Max since Claude Lemieux, & BGL attributed part of his aggressiveness last Saturday to the fact that Max kept him pumped on the bench. If people want to praise Saku for consoling Sergei, surely we can take note that Max did the opposite to our resident enforcer.

I agree that he can hit 15 goals some day.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:37 AM
  #70
Brass
Registered User
 
Brass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: laurentides
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Except the speed , kyle chipchura is a better comparison to ryan kessler than max lapierre ,

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM
  #71
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Don't forget the fact that he can be a real bugger. We haven't had anyone like Max since Claude Lemieux, & BGL attributed part of his aggressiveness last Saturday to the fact that Max kept him pumped on the bench. If people want to praise Saku for consoling Sergei, surely we can take note that Max did the opposite to our resident enforcer.

I agree that he can hit 15 goals some day.
That's a word we just don't hear enough of. You hear little bugger every now and then.

You make a good point, Lapierre does good things on the ice, he's got some flaws and holes in his game, some of them should lessen in time, but he does a good job of creating havoc down low. I wish he could move the puck a bit better when he makes things happen around the net, but it hasn't come to him to yet. Sometimes we have a tendency to focus on what a guy can't do rather than what he can.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
  #72
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,204
vCash: 500
Bottomline, they are not similar in role, skill or potential.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
  #73
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Whereabouts ?
st-lawrence mall in Messina

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:12 PM
  #74
Blood On The Ice
Registered User
 
Blood On The Ice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 380
vCash: 500
Latendresse reminds me of Cam Neeley too dude

























Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:30 PM
  #75
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Now that you mention it, isn't it funny how both their "girlfriends" had a child at around the same time? And how Guillaume started to get fatter because of all that "McDonalds" he was "eating"?
AAARGH! I'll make nightmares about it... Happy now?!

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.