HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How long can a Price/Halak tandem last?

Old
10-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
They'll stay together all year and then Halak might be moved as soon as in the summer, as late as the trade deadline of next year.

I don't see them being together for a full 2 years.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 100
Until Halak contract expires. (2010-11), Then he will be too expensive.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Neither of our goalies have proved much other than that they have been good since Junior.. and they aren't any signs of that changing. Price hasn't played in too many more games than Halak (18).
This post isn't to compare Price vs Halak.... its more about what is Halak's value out there right now.

With the way BG has handled Price in the last 2 years; everything from sending Halak out of the Bulldogs so Price could start; to forcing Carbo to keep Price last year; to getting rid of Huet so Price could start in the playoffs.... all of this tells me that if a trade were to happen in the very near future, it would not be Price who is getting traded away. As a result we should look at what Halak's market value is.

I believe that Halak's value on the market right now is far lower than his value to our team as a backup who can play 25-30 games and be injury insurance for the playoffs. We have not seen great returns for teams trading goalies in the last 2 seasons (well unless you are trading with JFJ , but I digress). I don't want a 2nd-3rd round pick for Halak... its not a good return.

The point was right now his market value is hurt by a weak goalie trading market... and his limited experience. We are better off to wait before making any trade. Halak can play games; get experience and bring his value up.... the goalie trade market could change.... I just think we have a good chance to get a lot more for him in a year and half from now, then we can get now. In the meantime, he is a very good backup, on a bargain contract. No reason not to wait. And as you say he could overtake Price in that time. I personally doubt this will happen, as I have a lot of faith in Price... but I never thought Huet would overtake Theo at the start of 05-06 either.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This board is not nearly as worked up as it should be. By game 7 we should be freaked out and into a full blown goaltending controversy. This isn't your father's HFboards.

As has been mentioned there is a glut of goaltending talent, especially in the prospect/low cost backup role.

There is always the chance that a Price injury could catapult Halak into a position where he could wow the league, or his salary escalates to the point that keeping both become difficult, but it's way too early to worry about that.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Fido22

I think it's way too early to say anything. Halak appears to be good enough to warrant extreme caution in dealing him away. The only thing I can saw now, is that we don't trade him until we have to (salary wise or free agency wise) and hopefully we'll know more about our two young tenders by then.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:49 AM
GoodKiwi

Well, at this point I'd rather keep Halak to be honest. But both of them will be with us for two more seasons I believe.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Blood On The Ice

As long as we are contenders, we need to have two solid goalies.

I have a hard time seeing Marc Denis be our number 1 goalie if anything happen to Price during the regular season, or even worse, during the playoffs.

We are blessed to have both Price and Halak, contract-wise, so keep 'em as long as we can.

I believe I can fly

- R.Kelly XXX

Blood On The Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Habnot

When you spend 3 million (including bonuses) for both quality goaltenders, you do not trade either one until the contracts are done. I'm not even sure that Price or Halak qualify for RFA at that time. Can anyone clarify?

BTW - that seems to be the Detroit model. Do not over spend on goaltending, soend on defense.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
This post isn't to compare Price vs Halak.... its more about what is Halak's value out there right now.

With the way BG has handled Price in the last 2 years; everything from sending Halak out of the Bulldogs so Price could start; to forcing Carbo to keep Price last year; to getting rid of Huet so Price could start in the playoffs.... all of this tells me that if a trade were to happen in the very near future, it would not be Price who is getting traded away. As a result we should look at what Halak's market value is.
If BG moves Halak I'm going to severely question his decision-making, unless a very solid backup is coming our way.

If Price goes down, with a 2-month injury at the start of April.. we are ****ed if we think Marc Denis is going to carry us to a Championship.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
In theory, until Halak is an UFA or a FA and gets an offer the Habs do not want to match. More likely, if both continue to play well, some point next season I would think.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
If BG moves Halak I'm going to severely question his decision-making, unless a very solid backup is coming our way.

If Price goes down, with a 2-month injury at the start of April.. we are ****ed if we think Marc Denis is going to carry us to a Championship.
Meh, as a Sens fan, I think you guys would be alright with a decent backup goaltender, even Denis. You're 4 lines deep and have one of the best defensive corps in the East. I'm sure Marc Denis as a starter would get you guys into the playoffs and probably even the division.

I just don't think Gainey has gotten a good enough offer as of yet to move Halak and why should he? As long as Halak is happy, I don't think he goes anywhere unless there's a severe over payment by another team.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post
Meh, as a Sens fan, I think you guys would be alright with a decent backup goaltender, even Denis. You're 4 lines deep and have one of the best defensive corps in the East. I'm sure Marc Denis as a starter would get you guys into the playoffs and probably even the division.

I just don't think Gainey has gotten a good enough offer as of yet to move Halak and why should he? As long as Halak is happy, I don't think he goes anywhere unless there's a severe over payment by another team.

The words decent backup goaltender and Denis do not belong in the same sentence right now.... The guy was terrible in Tampa.

As a Sens fan picture Martin Gerbers start to the season.... now imagine a goalie who is worse than that.... that was Denis last season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Dick Whitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
The words decent backup goaltender and Denis do not belong in the same sentence right now.... The guy was terrible in Tampa.

As a Sens fan picture Martin Gerbers start to the season.... now imagine a goalie who is worse than that.... that was Denis last season.
Unpossible! I think what I was trying to get at is some goaltenders look a whole lot better when they have an actual team in front of them. Even then, there are other capable back ups out there that could do the job. But as I said, as long as Halak is happy and no one is offering up a stud in return, there's no reason for Gainey to move him.

Also, there are no trading partners aside from Colorado right now unless Ottawa somehow Bonk'd Montreal.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiphopopotamus View Post

I agree with the sens fan, let's try and keep Price/Halak as long as we possibly can. There is NO WAY we go wrong with that.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

In the end, in a year when we're suppose to go pretty far, how dumb would it be to get rid of Halak when something could happen to Price. Denis will end up being #1? As good as he is in the AHL, it's just that....the AHL.....Michael Leighton used to be a star at that level too.

It's not like we would have a Price waiting to go up. Denis NEEDS this time at the lower level and not just 25 games, pretty much a whole season and some intense playoffs as well.

Old
10-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
In the end, in a year when we're suppose to go pretty far, how dumb would it be to get rid of Halak when something could happen to Price. Denis will end up being #1? As good as he is in the AHL, it's just that....the AHL.....Michael Leighton used to be a star at that level too.

It's not like we would have a Price waiting to go up. Denis NEEDS this time at the lower level and not just 25 games, pretty much a whole season and some intense playoffs as well.
I totally agree, but bad example with Michael Leighton. He's currently out playing Cam Ward and will probably be Carolina's #1 goalie in the near future.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I totally agree, but bad example with Michael Leighton. He's currently out playing Cam Ward and will probably be Carolina's #1 goalie in the near future.
Thank god I hope Ward never plays us again, go Leighton!

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
If it happens, seems that Ward is losing his job more than Leighton is winning his....He still didn't prove anything as far as the NHL is concerned.

Old
10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If it happens, seems that Ward is losing his job more than Leighton is winning his....He still didn't prove anything as far as the NHL is concerned.
I agree, Ward has played like crap, plus Leighton's only played 3 games this year. I just would have picked a different example though. Maybe someone like Labarbera from the Kings.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:22 PM
oli500

Make it last until we get a offer we cant refuse. Were in a position of strength. Let other teams come to us. Its a tricky game because the day halak will demand a trade is the day were we loose the edge on other teams. Halak will be on high demand at the dead line.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:59 PM
Guy Caballero

Through this season and the start of the next . . . and that's only because Halak is a cool and humble guy. Dude's ready for full-time duty now.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Leighton very well can be a #1 in this league.. he just hasn't even been given the chance since his mediocre year in Chicago.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:31 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Leighton very well can be a #1 in this league.. he just hasn't even been given the chance since his mediocre year in Chicago.
I totally agree, like I mentioned earlier. I think he'll be the #1 in Carolina shortly, if he isn't considered that already.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I know what he means and I agree with him. I was saying to my friends a few days ago that even if Halak would be better in a year, chances are that the Habs would still trade him away in order to keep Price. He's not saying that Price is better than Halak, but just that because of many factors, Price will always be on top of Halak...at least, in Montreal. Price is a semi-god...you can't hardly change that.

As for the original question, it won't last longer than Halak's contract. We won't be able to re-sign him as a backup. Hopefully, his value will only go up and we'll get a nice return for him. There will be takers for sure!
Yea, he's a semi-god to some fans, not Carbo nor Bob Gainey.

If Gainey and Carbo believe that after this year, Halak/Price are pretty even and next year Halak has a much better camp than Price.
You can be sure he'll be the starter.

It has happened on a lot of teams before, it comes down to how you evaluate your goalies. A lot of teams had to deal with similar situations when their back up just played phenomenal as well.

Nabokov-Toskala
Cechmanek-Nittymaki
Biron-Miller
Fernandez-Roloson
Giguere-Bryzgalov
Gerber-Ward

I don't think any of those teams made mistakes when they traded away their goalies.

If Price and Halak are pretty even, Price will be looked at as the #1.
If Halak is better, BG won't keep him because the fans look at Carey as a God.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote