HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 5: v. Colorado: Post Game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Stuff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
LaBarbera needs a lot of games to stay sharp. Ersberg can come off the bench and play no problem. You switch those two around and we're in for a world of hurt.
The problem with this is if Ersberg is a better goalie (which he may or may not be, just sayin'), we're not putting our best goalie in...

Who knows? Maybe after playing 30 games in a season Ersberg with transform into Super Mega Ersberg the robo-goaltending shutout-juggernaut? We don't know, he hasn't been given the chance (even though, IMHO, after last season, he's deserved at least a chance).

I think the thing that annoys me most about this situation is that next year, Bernier or Quick (probably Bernier) is going to be up with the team, so either Ersberg or LaBarbera isn't going to be with the team. At this rate, Ersberg is going to be the man out. The only thing that keeps me from pulling my hair out is that I have trust in Ranford whom I hated as an Oiler because of his talent.

But IMHO, Ersberg is the better goalie and more like Bernier in terms of being a quickness based goalie, which would be better to mentor Bernier... if only he had the experience in which to mentor from.

And yea, I know the chances of Ersberg transforming into a robot are very slim to none. I'd say less than 1%.

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:38 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
The problem with this is if Ersberg is a better goalie (which he may or may not be, just sayin'), we're not putting our best goalie in...

Who knows? Maybe after playing 30 games in a season Ersberg with transform into Super Mega Ersberg the robo-goaltending shutout-juggernaut? We don't know, he hasn't been given the chance (even though, IMHO, after last season, he's deserved at least a chance).

I think the thing that annoys me most about this situation is that next year, Bernier or Quick (probably Bernier) is going to be up with the team, so either Ersberg or LaBarbera isn't going to be with the team. At this rate, Ersberg is going to be the man out. The only thing that keeps me from pulling my hair out is that I have trust in Ranford whom I hated as an Oiler because of his talent.

But IMHO, Ersberg is the better goalie and more like Bernier in terms of being a quickness based goalie, which would be better to mentor Bernier... if only he had the experience in which to mentor from.

And yea, I know the chances of Ersberg transforming into a robot are very slim to none. I'd say less than 1%.
Ranford sees these guys everyday. Do you trust him to know which goalie gives the Kings the best chance to win?

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Ranford sees these guys everyday. Do you trust him to know which goalie gives the Kings the best chance to win?
Of course, that's why I put that in there... he knows more about goaltending and goalies than I ever will. But I just don't see why we don't give Ersberg a shot. I don't understand why we never gave Huet a shot. I don't know why we traded for Cloutier and extended his worthless #$&. I don't understand why... well, we all know the long list of goalie screwups this team has gone through.

I wish he were here and would explain it to me.

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
WoohooKINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
naw man, you're a noob. Don't worry, you got a whole lot of company.
LOL alright subject matter expert. You caught me red-handed!!! So what's your credentials that makes you an expert/ not a noob? Extra years and more posts? I find it funny that people like yourself and a few others here constantly don't respect what other people have to say. It's my way or the highway right?? Is that how SME's put it? It's actually funny to see other people's ignorance of other viewpoints.

WoohooKINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
JLB has demonstrated throughout his career that he only plays well when he plays a lot of games.
Yeah, in Manchester.

His "career" in L.A. has been less than stellar to say the least. Last year was the year he was supposed to shine, to prove that the Kings made a mistake by having to leave him in Manchester during 06-07, and what happened last year? - he was outplayed by an unknown free agent. This is it. This is the best JLB's gonna get. He came to camp lighter and ready to show us (again). He looks just as average as he did last year.

Quote:
If you are going to make Ersberg the starter, you might as well trade or waive JLB and hope that what you get in return, or the goalie you bring up from Manchester is ready for NHL duty.
... what's the downside of this again?

DL has failed in 90% of his FA signings, yet he did sign Ersberg and I give him credit for that. Now TM just has to start playing him before Christmas while the games still mean something.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoohooKINGS View Post
LOL alright subject matter expert. You caught me red-handed!!! So what's your credentials that makes you an expert/ not a noob? Extra years and more posts? I find it funny that people like yourself and a few others here constantly don't respect what other people have to say. It's my way or the highway right?? Is that how SME's put it? It's actually funny to see other people's ignorance of other viewpoints.
haha, I'm just messing w/ u

I just thought your post was retarded, so i was just giving you a hard time. if it makes you feel better, wabwat is a noob too

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:45 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Yeah, in Manchester.

His "career" in L.A. has been less than stellar to say the least. Last year was the year he was supposed to shine, to prove that the Kings made a mistake by having to leave him in Manchester during 06-07, and what happened last year? - he was outplayed by an unknown free agent. This is it. This is the best JLB's gonna get. He came to camp lighter and ready to show us (again). He looks just as average as he did last year.

DL has failed in 90% of his FA signings, yet he did sign Ersberg and I give him credit for that. Now TM just has to start playing him before Christmas while the games still mean something.
What else do we have to go on other than his AHL career?

Ersberg had some success at the NHL level last year, however he wasn't so great in the AHL. He is extremely small. When NHL shooters start going high on him on a consistent basis there is a good chance that they start filling the net.

There is no easy answer here, and I don't think JLB is the long term answer, but for this season abandoning the plan to play him and play him a lot 5 games into the season doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:37 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
haha, I'm just messing w/ u

I just thought your post was retarded, so i was just giving you a hard time. if it makes you feel better, wabwat is a noob too
why i gotta be Leroy?

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 02:14 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Yeah, in Manchester.

reeeaaalllyyyyy....

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
reeeaaalllyyyyy....
90% is hyperbole....but he has less than a 50% success rate at bringing in good free agents.

McCauley
Piskula
Zeiler
Moulson
Stuart
Nagy
Calder
Ersberg
Handzus
Preissing
Aubin
Purcell
Klemm
Modry (re-signed as a UFA)

I am not sure if I missed any. But the point is more than half of those signings have produced little to no results for the team.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Pucknut50

Ersberg to me is alot like M. Lagace - Not impressive physically but just stops the puck. The #1 problem with Labs is he tends to lose focus during games and gets beat on shots outside the circle. Ersberg never gives up on a play, is always into the game, and giving up a goal does not faze him. The only down side of Ersberg game I can see is with heavy traffic in front of the net and a puck is lose he is not real strong and can be pushed around. But this years King's defensive strength is clearing and keeping the front clear so Ersberg should thrive.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
reeeaaalllyyyyy....
FAIL: Thornton, McCauly, Dallman, Calder, Nagy, Stuart, Zeiler

FAIL LAST YEAR (THIS YEAR MAY IMPROVE): Handzus

JURY STILL OUT: Gauthier, Ivanans, Moulsen

GOOD (PLAYING TO EXPECTATIONS): Preissing

SUCCESSFUL (IN LIMITED PLAYING TIME): Ersberg

You do the math.

And how much salary was burned up in the FAIL list?

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Ollie Weeks

Stuart was no fail. He had a one year deal, played decent hockey and was dealt to the Red Wings at the deadline for assets. Pretty standard, I'd say.

And how exactly can Dallman, a 7th d-man, be considered a failure? I mean, there were NO expectations, and he pretty much delivered.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:36 AM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:

You do the math.

Calder is not a failure. He has done just fine for what we needed him for. I filled a roster spot last year, and so far this year, he hasn't played because we now have kids who are able to do what he can do. Is it DL's fault that the kids are doing better than might have been expected? I would rather be over paying this guy for one more year, rather than trying to sign another UFA if we still need the services of a serviceable body.

As already stated, Dallman...meh, and Stuart did just fine.

Why would any of us care about the salary of these players?

Handzus was not a failure last year, any more than any of the other players who had to endure the, so called, coaching style of Crow. Crow was the Biggest and only mistake that DL has made so far under his tenure, IMO. Because that was the only transaction that effected the team as a whole, which no one player can do on his own.

With that said, thanks to that mistake we now have Doughty and Hickey, who, hopefully, will be making a big impact on this team next year; and also soon to be added, Hedman. So the way that I see it, that mistake was actually a blessing in disguise.

By the way, where does this 90% percent figure come into play anyway?

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Squid View Post
Crow was the Biggest and only mistake that DL has made so far under his tenure, IMO. Because that was the only transaction that effected the team as a whole, which no one player can do on his own.
While I don't agree with most of Butch 19's assessment, I think you'd at least have to include Cloutier to avoid being labeled the King of All Lombardistas

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 01:02 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
What else do we have to go on other than his AHL career?

Ersberg had some success at the NHL level last year, however he wasn't so great in the AHL. He is extremely small. When NHL shooters start going high on him on a consistent basis there is a good chance that they start filling the net.

There is no easy answer here, and I don't think JLB is the long term answer, but for this season abandoning the plan to play him and play him a lot 5 games into the season doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
What if EE is the real deal and we only use him in 7-10 games before the new year?
The season maybe be over before EE can do any good and prove he is a number 1 Goalie. Is he a #1? I dont know, but he certainly outplayed Labs at the end of last season, Simply put, A goalie can't shine unless he plays, and EE hasn't played.

I assume he will play once this weekend, and if he does a good job, makes saves that save the team from their mistakes, then I say he earns a second start, right away? Let him show his stuff and make Labs have to earn the #1 back, if EE can take it from him. The starting Goalie spot should go to the guy who is playing best, not the guy who gets the nod at the beginning of the season , "just because."

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
While I don't agree with most of Butch 19's assessment, I think you'd at least have to include Cloutier to avoid being labeled the King of All Lombardistas
I believe that goal tending affects the team as a whole more than coaching does (because if you have an excellent coach but a crappy goalie, you are still going to lose. Cloutier has been the worst move Dean has made since he came to LA.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
guzmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

I assume he will play once this weekend, and if he does a good job, makes saves that save the team from their mistakes, then I say he earns a second start, right away? Let him show his stuff and make Labs have to earn the #1 back, if EE can take it from him. The starting Goalie spot should go to the guy who is playing best, not the guy who gets the nod at the beginning of the season , "just because."
There was some thought here that the coaches know best because they see the guys in practice. And while that should weigh in to any choice for the starter there are other intangibles. One would be guys who play differently in a game than in practice. It's a subconscious thing that I think EE does well and Babs doesn't. Maybe because Eric was a call-up last year the guys protected him more than JL. There is no doubt in my mind that the team played better in front of Ersberg last year. Is that the same this year? It's a question that needs to be answered, and soon I think.

I am of the opinion that consistency is what coaches strive for in the Netminder position. They go with their big gun. I think Ranford is saying Jason is the bigger gun. You can't really blame TM's choice so far. Unless he ignores "real" game performance and pig-headedly rides his "starter" like Crawford did we gotta go with what we have. Jason has opened the door by having more soft goals than big saves. Because if we get a hot tender this team is playing well enough to do some damage.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:49 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:

You do the math.

see Thornton, Dallman, Calder, Nagy, Stuart and Stuart did exactly what they were brought in to do.. kill time.. how is the jury still out on Gauthier.. he was brought in to gain a 2nd round pick and take up cap space.. Ivanans to me is a decent heavyweight.. I think you are not taking any signings in context... you also forgot Wilsie.. but he brought us Doughty instead of Stamkos.. so it's ok...

Old
10-24-2008, 10:52 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I believe that goal tending affects the team as a whole more than coaching does (because if you have an excellent coach but a crappy goalie, you are still going to lose. Cloutier has been the worst move Dean has made since he came to LA.
bar none..

Old
10-24-2008, 11:14 AM
LA Kings Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Don't forget, Lombardi only considered Cloutier, in the first place, because Crow talked Lombardi into trading for him. As per Crow's wisdom, he thought that "The Beachball" was the answer.

Now I am not trying to take the blame off of DL on this one, because signing him to a 2 year extension before he even played in a game was down right stupid. All I am trying to say was that if DL had not made that first dump mistake, that next one would have never happened.

LA Kings Cup Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:22 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post
Jason has opened the door by having more soft goals than big saves. Because if we get a hot tender this team is playing well enough to do some damage.
My point exactly. If EE is as good as he was at the end of last season, that gives this team a fighting chance and puts Labs back where he belongs, as a back-up.
It would be a hell of a shame for us to allow Labs to lose us some crucial games and then to find out 15-20-25 or even 30 games down the road that EE can play and do well for us.

If the Stanley Cup playoffs (the Second Season) are all about riding a hot Goalie, and it seems to be proven year after year, despite the length of the season, I see no reason why the First season should be any different. You got to make it to the Second Season to ride that Hot goalie anyway.

I think its a given that Labs wont get us to the Second Season. Will EE be able to? Who knows, but it would be a good thing to find out! The sooner the better too!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
bar none..
I'm a DL supporter, but I agree with that. I'm sure he would too....

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote