HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS Lineup notes (O'Byrne scratched, Halak to Start, Price back at Practice, etc)

Old
10-24-2008, 03:24 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Brisebois was already partnered with O'Byrne.
So the 3rd pairing is...

Brisebois-Brisebois.

Well this should be a fun game to watch.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As far as Price is concerned....it was a fairly fast recovery for a mononucleosis....
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Price: 3-0-1 - 1.92 GA - .939 % with Mono
Price didnt have mono.
mono had price.

mono still hasnt recovered from Price.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:27 PM
kalessin

vCash: 500
Brisouillon. Wonderful. One step above Dandouillon.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:30 PM
mcphee

I guess it hasn't occured to anyone that Higgins is skating with the team but won't know if he can play until after the morning skate. I doubt that he's assigned to a line until they know he can actually play on one.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:53 PM
speed11

i hate sk on the plek line, hate it! i'm not even gonna get into the bottom 2 lines...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
The day before Turgeon was traded, he was playing LW on a line with Koivu and Recchi.

I believe Turgeon got 4 or 5 assists in that game!
Yeah, I should have clarified. It was pre-season when he was on the 4th line. A friend of mine said he was worried that it signalled a Turgeon trade. I told him that was nonsense.

He turned out to be right.

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:13 PM
m00ks

Can anyone tell me why we traded Pierre Turgeon in the first place?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:15 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Can anyone tell me why we traded Pierre Turgeon in the first place?
Because we have Glumac

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:20 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I guess it hasn't occured to anyone that Higgins is skating with the team but won't know if he can play until after the morning skate. I doubt that he's assigned to a line until they know he can actually play on one.
Panderer. Deep in your heart you know it's make more sense to go completely over the top with threats to hurt objects or people.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Panderer. Deep in your heart you know it's make more sense to go completely over the top with threats to hurt objects or people.
exactly!!
I obviously wont hurt anyone or anything but, but, it will piss me off if thats what he puts out there, even to start the game. Our bottom 2 lines would be useless.

Old
10-24-2008, 04:38 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
hang on ill call dan bigras to confirm
I just LOL'd.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:38 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
exactly!!
I obviously wont hurt anyone or anything but, but, it will piss me off if thats what he puts out there, even to start the game. Our bottom 2 lines would be useless.

So i guess you weren't one of those bashing me yesterday when i talked about how we were suppose to have this great deph.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
So i guess you weren't one of those bashing me yesterday when i talked about how we were suppose to have this great deph.
You can have great depth but it's also a matter of utilizing it properly.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:57 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Maybe, just maybe he's on the 4th line because he's coming off a groin injury and isn't in game form yet.

Why give him 1st/2nd line minutes when he won't keep up just yet. :S

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:24 PM
guest1467

Is Higgins playing tomorrow?

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Is Higgins playing tomorrow?
we find out tommorow afte the morning skate

Old
10-24-2008, 06:27 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
silly me, reality is never where the rubber hits the road.

Old
10-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
O'Byrne needs to play... honestly... this is why I didn't want to have Brisebois back ... the temptation is there for Guy Carbonneau to play him and its retarded

go back to our defensive pair of Hammer - O'Byrne

O'Byrne's size is needed against the Ducks
O'Byrne needs to play against tough teams like them
O'Byrne has upside and makes less mistakes then Brisebois

O'Byrne ftw

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post

O'Byrne ftw
Problem is O'Byrne rarely leverages his size.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

O'Byrne needs to sit a game.
i like the guy but he has struggled. A game off will help him.

Old
10-24-2008, 06:46 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
It's amazing how much hatred there is toward Brisebois on these boards. Yes, I know most of you had to suffer through his years of torment, but he has been much more than reliable this year.
Not only that, he played very well for the Canadiens throughout the playoffs particularily versus the Bruins.

But keep in mind, these are the exact same 'fans' who have been blindly praising the play of Ryan O'Byrne game in and game out this season while he's in fact been playing himself out of the lineup.

The "logic" here is praise a young player/prospect blindly and repeatedly over and over again. Years later, when they develop - they can say "I always loved this guy... I never understood what Coach INSERT NAME was thinking when he used to scratch this guy. I knew from the get go he was great."

Oh, and if the player doesn't develop, simply never mention them ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
O'Byrne needs to play... honestly... this is why I didn't want to have Brisebois back ... the temptation is there for Guy Carbonneau to play him and its retarded

O'Byrne ftw
What about accountability?

Wouldn't you rather root for a team where the players are held accountable for bad play? People seem to get confused by their affection for young players and forget that part of becoming a solid NHLer is being held accountable for your play. O'Byrne, all season, has struggled with the Canadiens transition game. He needs to sit in the pressbox and watch how the team plays. He needs to be reminded that the Canadiens aren't a cellar dwelling team where you can learn on the job. If you want to play for a club that is a serious contender, you better be ready to play when the team is because the days of the Canadiens icing passengers are over. O'Byrne - who for the record I think can be a pretty solid NHLer - simply isn't playing as well as the Canadiens need.

The hard on for O'Byrne coupled with the hate on for Patrice Brisebois had got a lot of fans on this board unable to see the forest for the trees. The plain truth is, there's not a ton of difference between both guys at this stage of their careers. Ideally O'Bryne is on the up swing and Brisebois on the down but right now, I don't quite see why fans are outraged O'Byrne would be scratched for Breezer.

Right now, how they are currently playing one is clearly playing better then the other. And when watching O'Byrne, it seems clear, at least to me, that he could stand to gain a lot by watching the Canadiens play be it in person or on tape to see how their fast-break transition works and how important the defensemans outlet pass is to keying that. Because he clearly has the worst outlet pass, but worse then that, he seems to prefer to dump it out of the zone instead of hitting a streaking forward.

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-24-2008 at 07:01 PM.
FerrisRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:55 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Not only that, he played very well for the Canadiens throughout the playoffs particularily versus the Bruins.

But keep in mind, these are the exact same 'fans' who have been blindly praising the play of Ryan O'Byrne game in and game out this season while he's in fact been playing himself out of the lineup.

The "logic" here is praise a young player/prospect blindly and repeatedly over and over again. Years later, when they develop - they can say "I always loved this guy... I never understood what Coach INSERT NAME was thinking when he used to scratch this guy. I knew from the get go he was great."

I was away all week, did O'b have a horrific game against Florida ? The team played well last Saturday, at some point we chatted about the kid, some things he wasn't doing well, some things he was, and all of a sudden I'm reading about his slump. What happened, was he somehow a -6 in a 3-1 game ?

You've tempered your enthusiam for O'b, and that's fine, but it seems overall we're going up and down with these kids faster than a *****'s drawers.

Old
10-24-2008, 06:59 PM
Bretvincent

I agree with the sentiment here that sitting Obyrne for one game can't hurt but i'm not sure i'm a fan of a duo of Bouillon and Brisebois when Bouillon and Gorges know each other so well having played all year last year together on the flip side, though, having Hamrlik playing with Gorges means that that are prob gonna have the first two defensive duos play the majority of mins, at least, i hope. However, does this mean that Gorges is considered our number 4 to the coaching staff?

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:04 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretvincent View Post
I agree with the sentiment here that sitting Obyrne for one game can't hurt but i'm not sure i'm a fan of a duo of Bouillon and Brisebois when Bouillon and Gorges know each other so well having played all year last year together on the flip side, though, having Hamrlik playing with Gorges means that that are prob gonna have the first two defensive duos play the majority of mins, at least, i hope. However, does this mean that Gorges is considered our number 4 to the coaching staff?
I'm curious, and I'm not being a smartass, well I am a smartass but not in this instance. Why do you ask this ? The ranking of players is something I hear a lot here, often in media when evaluating players but why ?

I'd think that Gorges is probably #4 in terms of how the staff looks at their current value, and frankly, if I was coaching, I'd go with your pairings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

What about accountability?

Wouldn't you rather root for a team where the players are held accountable for bad play? People seem to get confused by their affection for young players and forget that part of becoming a solid NHLer is being held accountable for your play. O'Byrne, all season, has struggled with the Canadiens transition game. He needs to sit in the pressbox and watch how the team plays. He needs to be reminded that the Canadiens aren't a cellar dwelling team where you can learn on the job. If you want to play for a club that is a serious contender, you better be ready to play when the team is because the days of the Canadiens icing passengers are over. O'Byrne - who for the record I think can be a pretty solid NHLer - simply isn't playing as well as the Canadiens need.

The hard on for O'Byrne coupled with the hate on for Patrice Brisebois had got a lot of fans on this board unable to see the forest for the trees. The plain truth is, there's not a ton of difference between both guys at this stage of their careers. Ideally O'Bryne is on the up swing and Brisebois on the down but right now, I don't quite see why fans are outraged O'Byrne would be scratched for Breezer.

Right now, how they are currently playing one is clearly playing better then the other. And when watching O'Byrne, it seems clear, at least to me, that he could stand to gain a lot by watching the Canadiens play be it in person or on tape to see how their fast-break transition works and how important the defensemans outlet pass is to keying that. Because he clearly has the worst outlet pass, but worse then that, he seems to prefer to dump it out of the zone instead of hitting a streaking forward.

I meant to adress this, but my mind wanders. I'm wondering if his head's a bit messed up in terms of making the outlet pass. Being the kid of the d corps, he probably has the tightest leash. They're stressing, 'move the puck, don't skate, just move it'. I think that he's having a hard time, shooting right, finding angles for himself to move it to his rw'er, usually a left shot. So, if he can't move laterally to find the angle, he blats it out.

I heard Carbo's soundbite earlier, he was saying that to beat the Ducks, you have to move the puck out quickly. That's pretty well his credo against anyone.

So, where we want size against perceived physical teams, he wants swifter puck movement. I'm not 100% sure I agree, but I'm willing to let him make these calls.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-26-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old
10-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Bretvincent

Its only natural that people try to evaluate players into a ranking, it is human nature to categorize things We always try to organize a world that maybe isn't meant to be put into categories, but i disgress. I would not mind the pairings of right now (hamrlik-gorges, bouillon-brisebois) if it means that they will accentuate the minutes that the top two pairings will have but Carbonneau usually has the habit of spreading his mins equally all around which has its advantages but in this case, i would rather he give the majority to the first two pairing as I believe they can provide the best defensive coverage.

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote