HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque vs Parros

Old
10-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
You are probably right but, let's just say the Thornton fight was pretty useless. He did what he had to do against Phoenix and that's more than fine by me.

I guess I'm just voicing my own opinion but, I don't really enjoy two heavy weights going at it when nothing is on the line...
Not that it makes it right Licou, but Thornton was bad mouthing the Habs in interviews before the game. Sometimes fights happen for reasons not related to on ice play.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
You are probably right but, let's just say the Thornton fight was pretty useless. He did what he had to do against Phoenix and that's more than fine by me.

I guess I'm just voicing my own opinion but, I don't really enjoy two heavy weights going at it when nothing is on the line...
Let just say that there was a LOT on the line for either Laraque and Thornton. Thornton had to back up his comments, and had to respond to all those questions and remarks from journalists almost asking him if he was afraid.....And Laraque had to please the crowd. As soon as the first fight is done and over with, as soon he could start playing hockey. Problem is, it's been so long for Habs fans to see a realy heavyweight in the lineup that most might expect to see George going at it every night...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let just say that there was a LOT on the line for either Laraque and Thornton. Thornton had to back up his comments, and had to respond to all those questions and remarks from journalists almost asking him if he was afraid.....And Laraque had to please the crowd. As soon as the first fight is done and over with, as soon he could start playing hockey. Problem is, it's been so long for Habs fans to see a realy heavyweight in the lineup that most might expect to see George going at it every night...
When Thornton fought Bégin in pre-season, it was a response to Bégin's crosscheck against Savard. Then, he knew he would have to fight Laraque because of this.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra View Post
When Thornton fought Bégin in pre-season, it was a response to Bégin's crosscheck against Savard. Then, he knew he would have to fight Laraque because of this.
Exactly Laraque went after Thornton cause Thornton fough Begin in preseason. The habs weren't pleased that their heavyweight went after our middleweight at best.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Next Best Thing*

Does Laraque have to fight every time now, like if he's in his rookie season? I'd rather his fists be rested come playoffs time, not having to square off against every heavyweight in the league just so we can call it a <<good signing>>. We already know he's worth it.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Exactly Laraque went after Thornton cause Thornton fough Begin in preseason. The habs weren't pleased that their heavyweight went after our middleweight at best.

But, to be on topic, what would be the reason behind Laraque fighting Parros then? Except of course if the Ducks try to intimidate us the way the Yotes did. Is there a point to that?

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
But, to be on topic, what would be the reason behind Laraque fighting Parros then? Except of course if the Ducks try to intimidate us the way the Yotes did. Is there a point to that?
i agree with you.... I don't see why Laraque would go after Parros unless another incident were to occur first.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
It's not Laraque that would look for Parros, but vice versa. The Ducks need to get themselves out of their funk, look for Parros to try to get them into the game early.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:03 PM

I hope if they fight Parros doesn't hug him to save his life like everybody else.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:26 PM
TSV

Send a message via MSN to TSV
parros will invite him for sure...
with the bell centre energy, BGL won't back down and we will get a second big fight in two nights !!... with the bute fight !!

TSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Does Laraque have to fight every time now, like if he's in his rookie season? I'd rather his fists be rested come playoffs time, not having to square off against every heavyweight in the league just so we can call it a <<good signing>>. We already know he's worth it.
There are little to no fights in the playoffs. If there's any fighting to do, its during the season.

Last edited by Spectaculard: 10-24-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Spectaculard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
JTWymanFan*

There has been fighting in hockey ever since the first game back in the early 1900's. It's not because of you tree huggers that it's going to stop today, so my advice is if you don't want to see a hockey fight, is to go watch some figure skating on saturday afternoon on CBS sports. I am sorry if any of you are offended by this statement but i am pro fighting in hockey and don't need anyone trying trying to change my favorite sport.

Go BGL Go...I am so happy you are now protecting my favorite players such as Price, Koivu, Kovy, Markov, Higgins, Tang etc.

Honestly, those that don't like fighting in hockey i find have never played the game. Emotions get very high when you are playing added to the crowd chnating your name it becomes a very powerful ego boost. Yes i have played and yes i was a goon and yes my knuckles look like crushed stone. I will defend these guys until i die !!!!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
There has been fighting in hockey ever since the first game back in the early 1900's. It's not because of you tree huggers that it's going to stop today, so my advice is if you don't want to see a hockey fight, is to go watch some figure skating on saturday afternoon on CBS sports. I am sorry if any of you are offended by this statement but i am pro fighting in hockey and don't need anyone trying trying to change my favorite sport.

Go BGL Go...I am so happy you are now protecting my favorite players such as Price, Koivu, Kovy, Markov, Higgins, Tang etc.

Honestly, those that don't like fighting in hockey i find have never played the game. Emotions get very high when you are playing added to the crowd chnating your name it becomes a very powerful ego boost. Yes i have played and yes i was a goon and yes my knuckles look like crushed stone. I will defend these guys until i die !!!!
No offence dude but you saying this with that avatar is just too funny.

Spectaculard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 03:40 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
No offence dude but you saying this with that avatar is just too funny.
Hey, i have to have some soft sides, for my wife and kids.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:06 PM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Quote:

I think the same as you, when I was playing, all the cheap shots and all the late hits would get on my nerves that at some point, I had to fight (i wasn't very good at it) or had help from my teammates. If we had a goon on the bench we knew he would step in the game to send a message, and give us more room to score more goals and play our game. Hockey is all a matter and respect and intimidation. If you have a good heavyweight on your side, you feel less intimidated, thus you earn more respect. On the other hand, without any proper policeman, players are bound to be intimidated.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:

I completely agree, one year I played we had no goon and I got in a fair amount of scraps on account of playing on the edge and being one of the bigger players on our team. I actually hated having to fight, mainly because I wasn't very good at it. I really wish we had a guy who could fight....

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:00 PM
Maxpac

With the way the ducks are playing, i have no doubt that if they don't have a strong start Parros will go straight at BGL

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:06 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Because they are paying him $1.5 million to do so.
he is being paid to play hockey and stick up for his teammates, not just fight every tuff guy on the other team for the hell of it.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
he is being paid to play hockey and stick up for his teammates, not just fight every tuff guy on the other team for the hell of it.
& that hasn't happened so far so I don't get the .

Old
10-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Habs

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:

The debate over fighting or no fighting in hockey may belong to another thread but I must say that emotions getting high and crowds cheering happen in other sports like football and soccer, yet any open intention to fight an opponent is strictly forbidden by the rules and enforced by referees.

This, from the history of soccer:

"There is a story which places the first football game in the east of England - where the locals played 'football' with the severed head of a Danish Prince they had defeated in battle!

In medieval times, towns and villages played against rival towns and villages - and kicking, punching, biting and gouging were allowed.

The object of the game was to move the ball to an agreed spot which had been marked out before play commenced.

Hundreds of people took part and games could last all day.

So violent did these matches become that many attempts were made by the authorities to ban soccer.

In England, King Edward III passed laws in 1331 to try and suppress football. In Scotland, King James 1, in 1424, proclaimed in Parliament, "That na man play at the Fute-ball" (No man shall play football/soccer).

Good Queen Bess, Queen Elizabeth 1 of England, had a law passed which provided for soccer players to be " jailed for a week, and obliged to do penance in church." "

There is no authorized fighting right now in soccer (though many fans would love to see some) simply because it has evolved, just like ape evolved to man.

Fighting in hockey belongs to the dark ages of the sport. The only reason it is still authorized is because Betman and the NHL use it as a marketing tool. It would be perfectly feasible for referees to control and eliminate cheap shots.

I would rather see skilled players then enforcers, I'm more pleased to see Kovalev score a goal then Laraque win a fight...and indeed, I never played the game. Does this make my opinion worthless ?

It's a sport where the purpose is to put the puck in the net not to break the enemy's face. At least that's what the rules say. For face breaking there are other well regulated sports like Boxing and TKO. And even wrestling, or the circus, if you are into that kind of show.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Bretvincent

I can understand most people would love to see Laraque fighting every game and kicking their ***** but, reality, is he wont. He will mostly fight to stand up for his teammates or if someone invites him. However, i would like to know has Laraque ever fought with someone to just change the momentum in a game or does that go against the code he has for himself?

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

There is no authorized fighting right now in soccer (though many fans would love to see some) simply because it has evolved, just like ape evolved to man.

Fighting in hockey belongs to the dark ages of the sport. The only reason it is still authorized is because Betman and the NHL use it as a marketing tool. It would be perfectly feasible for referees to control and eliminate cheap shots.

Humans do not need to follow sport, there's more negatives in following a pro sports team than positives & clearly the next evolution for humankind is to better spend our time serving our fellow man/woman. I implore you, take that next step! Lead us to the new age of civilization & give up being a fan of pointless contact sports.

Old
10-24-2008, 08:44 PM
Charlie Milles*
Uh... Go Canucks?

Is BGL even playing tomorrow night?

Charlie Milles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:27 PM
JTWymanFan*