HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#7 -- Flyers at Devils -- October 24, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
10-24-2008, 09:52 PM
flyersfan97

vCash: 500
Wooo-hoooooo, the Flyers win one!! And against the Devils--twice as awesome.

I missed the game, and didn't read through the GDT, did we chase Brodeur?

And congratulations to MSE, I see you have gone "global."

EDIT: Hey, Kambo, you are hereby invited to attend all Flyers games in NJ. You rule!!!

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Tommy D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
So...everyone that swore at Marty in the first period and conveniently went silent in the second and third periods...what do you have to say for yourselves?

I say we have a win now!

Seriously even you have to admit the 1st period is one that I bet Marty would like to forget.

Marty played well in the 2nd and 3rd seemed to "see" the puck better.

Did he stand on his head? No. Did he play a LOT better, you bet he did!

Let's hope he builds on it and has a good game tomorrow afternoon.

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:09 PM
mm6492

Curse of Sarah Palin

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
Palin's appearance might have been costly to the Blues as goalie Manny Legace left the game after one period with an injury that possibly occurred when he tripped over the carpet placed on the ice for Palin and her family to walk on.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:17 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Glad to see a win guys!

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:18 PM
McNasty

Biron was bad in the first, but by the middle of the 3rd he started to look familiar. He was finding the puck and more importantly he was finding the puck in his crease.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:19 PM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Finally, a game we can be proud of. Biron sure turned it around, I thought he'd lose it completely after NJ's third. Loved watching Carter, Upshall and Sbisa tonight. And, I think Nodl might just be a really nice player for us in the future.

Props to Frenchy and Freaky D for the avy's.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:21 PM
flyersguy33*

I guess there is one thing that has been good so far this season and that is we can score ****ing goals. 16 goals in the last 3 games against 2 really good goalies is great to see. If they keep this up and get the solid goaltending we got in the 2nd and 3rd we will have no problem.

O yea congrats MSE on the being a global mod

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Kaktus*

I think Langenbrunner is out for tomorrow..

He did not come back after that hit by #47.

MB gave up 5 goals and Madden Podno -6 in this game. Now when was the last time both played that bad?

A lot of work to be done. I am hoping for a win tomorrow.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
IrishSniper87

Hey guys, the real curse on this team was actually me watching the game.

I was so tired from a long work week, that while watching the game on the couch, I just fell asleep. It was 3-2 Devils.

Then, I am semi-sleep conscience and its 4-3 and I think I heard that Hartnell scored. Then, I'm semi sleep again and they are interviewing Joffrey Lupul and he is out of his gear and looks like he just got out of the shower talking about the Flyers win, and I'm just like WTF??? What time is it? How is this game over already?

So anyway, I guess I'm bad luck. I'm pissed I missed so much of the game.

How did Biron look after the 1st?? What I saw was Biron give up 3 goals on 8 chances. He looked like trash. I guess he picked it up.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:00 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
O yea congrats MSE on the being a global mod
Congrats MSE.

As far as I am concerned, they should let you pick your own color due to how awesome your GDT threads are!

Thanks for the awesome threads!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:04 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Thank you St Louis for taking our curse and thank you Falco!

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:06 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What a game. Just read through the thread....and first of all, it is ****ing ridiculous the way some of you people treat Biron like he's the scum of the earth. I hate to generalize, but it's very representative of the typical Philadelphia sports fan attitude. The excessively harsh, "What have you done for me lately?" attitude. I fully realize and understand that Biron has struggled big time so far...I know how bad he's been at times, I get all that. But, jesus christ people...he CARRIED this team to the ECF last year? How what he did in the Montreal series, and more specifically the Washington series alone, doesn't earn him some faith and support when he's struggling over a four or five game stretch...I mean, it's just absolutely mindboggling to me. Completely. Downright. Mindboggling. Seriously. What the ****? Not to mention, that during this stretch in which he has struggled...the entire ****ing team playing in front of him has been a mess defensively. How the **** does the guy not get any slack, all things considered? It's ****ing ridiculous.

He struggled again tonight in the first, but played great for the rest of the game. It's a long season, and there is plenty of time for him to play well and prove his worth, and I, for one...have faith that he will do so. He certainly did more than enough for this team last year to be deserving of that faith.

Back on the topic of the game...it was fantastic. Outside of a few quick lapses in the first couple periods, and sitting back on their heels a bit too much in the third...the Flyers played a great game. Even in the first period, they played well. There were a few quick breakdowns that resulted in goals, but on the whole they were controlling the play at both ends of the ice.

It was a great game for many different individuals, but it was also an excellent team effort. And anyone who watched tonight's game, and still wants to insist that this team "has no system" is clueless. Whether or not this team can continue to come out ready to play under Stevens, night in and night out, remains to be seen. Whether or not they can continue to give 60 minutes of effort under Stevens, night in and night out, remains to be seen. And whether or not this team can continue to effectively employ a system under Stevens, against all the different teams in this league, night in and night out...remains to be seen.
BUT, clearly a system was in place tonight. They were playing as a team, the forwards were getting back to help out the D...the forwards did a great job narrowing the gap and getting back down low for breakout passes which often lead to a quick two or three passes to break out of the zone and smoothly transition up ice. There were a lot of things going right, and there were clearly "systems" in place. It's clear that things can go well under Stevens...what is unclear is if it can continue, if it can be consistent, and if it can happen against teams other than the Devils. That all remains to be seen.

I am one who hates instability at the coaching position. While I'm still not a huge fan of Stevens, it's a big reason I'd like to see him be able to stay with this team for a while. I think we've got a great core of players, and a great chemistry between most of those players and Stevens. I really think that tonight's game showed a lot. It's clear that this team can be a success, with all of the current personnel in place...from players to coaches. I just really hope it can continue.

Oh yeah, one more thing though...Andrew Alberts. Yeah, ummm...he's kind of sucked. I mean, I like some of his physical play at times, but on the whole...I don't think the guy should be in the NHL. And Kukkonen should be playing over him at this point. I was ok with them trying to bring in someone that could do the job better than Lasse...and I'd still be ok with that, but Alberts isn't the guy. Starting next game...Kukks should be in over Alberts, and we should continue on that way unless Kukkonen again plays himself out of that opportunity.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:25 PM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Oh yeah, one more thing though...Andrew Alberts. Yeah, ummm...he's kind of sucked. I mean, I like some of his physical play at times, but on the whole...I don't think the guy should be in the NHL. And Kukkonen should be playing over him at this point. I was ok with them trying to bring in someone that could do the job better than Lasse...and I'd still be ok with that, but Alberts isn't the guy. Starting next game...Kukks should be in over Alberts, and we should continue on that way unless Kukkonen again plays himself out of that opportunity.

I think these two are going to alternate games a lot. It's like, each will take their turn being in the doghouse for a game and then will suit up for the next.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:38 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
I think these two are going to alternate games a lot. It's like, each will take their turn being in the doghouse for a game and then will suit up for the next.
Unfortunately, I'd sooner guess that they'll just continue to play Alberts. That just seems to be the way it goes with Kukkonen.

And I probably wouldn't be terribly surprised if they continued to play Alberts for a bit even if he was making more mistakes than he already is. It'll be embarrasing to have to scratch him so quickly after bringing him in. And I just doubt that they're ready to look like complete fools for acquiring him...and if for no other reason than that, I think they'll continue to play him for a bit and hope he improves.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Scoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Halle****inglujah
Well played boys, you guys came to play tonight, and after going down 0-1 real quick it would have been understandable if you'd have lost. Kudos to the Flyers, they stuck at it and stuck it to NJ with a 6-3 win. well played guys.

See ya tomorrow

Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:18 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Finally a win! And against the Devils! Woo hoo!! I wish i bet this on vBookie.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:07 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
man I would love to know what was said after the first intermission.

glad to get the win, now they need to build off of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mess View Post
ruh roh, sucks for them
yep and not only did they lose, they lost their starting goaltender Manny Legace when his skate got caught on the rug she was on. he fell, played the first period and then left with a "lower body injury"

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:10 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post

"If we win tonight I will bake you all the best ****ing cake you have ever had in your life"

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post

yep and not only did they lose, they lost their starting goaltender Manny Legace when his skate got caught on the rug she was on. he fell, played the first period and then left with a "lower body injury"
Seriously. ****ing awesome point. I'd die to hear what was said in that locker room. And who was the one who said it. And really, for some reason, I doubt it was Richards. Something different and new happened tonite.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:40 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
"If we win tonight I will bake you all the best ****ing cake you have ever had in your life"
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Seriously. ****ing awesome point. I'd die to hear what was said in that locker room. And who was the one who said it. And really, for some reason, I doubt it was Richards. Something different and new happened tonite.
well the Flyers do have enough guys who are leader type guys. Maybe it wasnt Richards, hell maybe enough guys just got up and said "you know what, I am tired of this ****. lets go out and play the type of hockey we are capable of" I dont know. whatever it was, I am happy they got the win, because quite frankly I was starting to get pissed off at this start.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
I say we have a win now!

Seriously even you have to admit the 1st period is one that I bet Marty would like to forget.
Marty played well in the 2nd and 3rd seemed to "see" the puck better.

Did he stand on his head? No. Did he play a LOT better, you bet he did!

Let's hope he builds on it and has a good game tomorrow afternoon.

Tommy D
Yep, no problem there, it was ugly.

He's still the 2nd biggest reason we won - Richards being number one and the defense tightening up a little bit being number three (#3 because the Debs skated circles around us for about 16 minutes of the third...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What a game. Just read through the thread....and first of all, it is ****ing ridiculous the way some of you people treat Biron like he's the scum of the earth. I hate to generalize, but it's very representative of the typical Philadelphia sports fan attitude. The excessively harsh, "What have you done for me lately?" attitude. I fully realize and understand that Biron has struggled big time so far...I know how bad he's been at times, I get all that. But, jesus christ people...he CARRIED this team to the ECF last year? How what he did in the Montreal series, and more specifically the Washington series alone, doesn't earn him some faith and support when he's struggling over a four or five game stretch...I mean, it's just absolutely mindboggling to me. Completely. Downright. Mindboggling. Seriously. What the ****? Not to mention, that during this stretch in which he has struggled...the entire ****ing team playing in front of him has been a mess defensively. How the **** does the guy not get any slack, all things considered? It's ****ing ridiculous.

He struggled again tonight in the first, but played great for the rest of the game. It's a long season, and there is plenty of time for him to play well and prove his worth, and I, for one...have faith that he will do so. He certainly did more than enough for this team last year to be deserving of that faith.
This is exactly what I have not been able to understand. He's played like crap, but I felt that he's earned the faith and the patience of at least a few games to turn things around, especially playing in front of this defense. But then the guy who has **** the bed everytime he's given the opportunity to be the starter is praised and made excuses for and seemingly has an endless amount of time to prove his worth...

It's pretty illogical.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:48 AM
flyersfan420

YYYEEEAAAHHH?!?!?! I CANT BELIEVE A WIN IN NJ!!! biron.i dont know **IT 1st 2 but after he played good... bring it into tomorrow marty.

flyersfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 03:50 AM
flyersfan420

i think we are missing the huge shot blockers... smith, hatch... they blocked alot in front which is where we are struggling....

Old
10-25-2008, 03:51 AM
flyersfan420

DRUNK............(reason 4 leaving last posts..) FINALLY A WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW IN NJ?......

Old
10-25-2008, 05:21 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Do you think Stevens included a couple of balloon animals in the deal as well?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote