HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Jordan Staal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2008, 10:00 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

vCash: 500
Trade Jordan Staal Thread

I know there is already a Staal thread but this one is aimed specifically at the idea of dealing him and reasons why you think it is or is not a good idea. Of all places, Madden's column a week or so ago got me thinking on this one.

I'm of the mind that now is a better time to trade Staal in order to maximize what we get in return. Apparently, there are a lot of GMs that think very highly of him and consider him to be a top tier talent (ala Eric). He is not. He is a very talented two-way centerman and that's where it ends. There is no shame in this at all but the fact remains that as long as he's in Pittsburgh, he'll be nothing better than a 3rd line center under the best conditions, hoping that Sid and Geno both center their own lines again.

I think that he knows this and will certainly want to go elsewhere unless Shero simply overpays to keep him. Shero is in love with Staal but I'll bet that Shero has a different idea of what Staal is worth than Staal and his agent do. I'm guessing that Staal is going to want to get paid based on the level of expectations moreso than the actual body of work so far. At least he will if he wants to get paid.

As for me, I would deal him to a team and get somemore depth going in certain areas, like perhaps....wing. I'm not saying Gabby. I want someone that doesn't have a body made of champagne glasses. I would deal him for a guy that is somewhere in that range in between the Hossa level and the Sykora-Satan level. A guy like Kovalev comes to mind or perhaps Hemsky. Along with that bring back someone else that can deal the puck from the blueline and then just adjust picks both ways to even it up.

I'm not saying Hemsky or Kovy specifically but along those lines. We have depth at center and Staal is simply not as good as the money he's going to want. I say deal him before the rest of the NHL GMs realize that he's not quite the stud that they may think.

Thoughts?

Old
10-24-2008, 10:03 PM
moonknight31

well what player specifically were u thinking?

Old
10-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

I like the idea mostly because I like the idea of Malkin and Crosby centering their own lines. Them on a separate line with a Horton-level player would be stanley cup-caliber.

That said, the idea of a Staal + Letang/Goligoski package might bring back a return on the blueline that would also put this team over the top.

Who knows.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

vCash: 50
I'd do it. Something like Staal for Antropov +?

Old
10-24-2008, 10:08 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonknight31 View Post
well what player specifically were u thinking?
Actually now that I really think about it I would like to look at Kovy but I don't think he's into leaving Montreal.

Maybe someone like Hejduk or Kotalik. Brad Boyes would be perfect but St. Louis isn't going to give that stud up.

Someone like that. What do you think?

Old
10-24-2008, 10:10 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphenisciformes View Post
I'd do it. Something like Staal for Antropov +?
Staal and Letang for Antropov and Kaberle....

Toss in some picks for balance and do the deal right now.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:13 PM
moonknight31

i think kotalik or boyes would be great and while i love hejduk i think hes a bit old and doesnt fit our future plans. The person id absolutely love would be hemsky but i dont really see the oilers parting with him

Old
10-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Nathan Horton

Old
10-24-2008, 10:33 PM
benefactor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid over Alex View Post
Actually now that I really think about it I would like to look at Kovy but I don't think he's into leaving Montreal.

Maybe someone like Hejduk or Kotalik. Brad Boyes would be perfect but St. Louis isn't going to give that stud up.

Someone like that. What do you think?
Why would you give up Staal for somebody who is soon to be 36 years old? This reminds me of the Malkin for Pronger proposals from last year.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:39 PM
vcx*

I'm against trading Letang & Goligoski. For the first time in my 20+ years as a fan this team has a crop of defensemen that they drafted that are developing into solid defensemen and now people want to get rid of them? Gonchar isn't going to be around long and he is getting up there in age, having Whitney, Letang, Goligoski and Orpik as the core of the defense is great especially since Whits and Orpik are locked up long term and Shero can do the same with Letang and Goligoski as well. If anything, Letang and Goligoski show that you can have offensive minded defensemen that can be aggressive and solid positional defensemen as well. Which is great for the Pens.

The defense is fine, the problem is quality wingers for Sid and Geno. If i am trading Staal, i'm trying to land a winger and another wing prospect if i can to help the depth on the wings. I like Staal, especially back at center but like everyone else, i would rather have Malkin back at center and have 2 solid lines that give teams troubles.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
I might really be in the minority now, but I'm still against trading away Jordan Staal at this point. Unless he's dealt in a package for either Gaborik or Bouwmeester (who agree to sign an extension) I'd rather keep and develop him into either a left winger or a center.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:51 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB85 View Post
Why would you give up Staal for somebody who is soon to be 36 years old? This reminds me of the Malkin for Pronger proposals from last year.
I was spitballing more than anything.

I personally like the idea of Antropov or Kotalik.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:53 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
I might really be in the minority now, but I'm still against trading away Jordan Staal at this point. Unless he's dealt in a package for either Gaborik or Bouwmeester (who agree to sign an extension) I'd rather keep and develop him into either a left winger or a center.
The problem is a double edged sword.

He's terrible and lost as a winger and if you develop him as a centerman than you will have to dish out way too much money and he'll be your third line guy behind Sid and Geno.

Don't misunderstand me. I like Staal but I just don't see him being here too much longer and I would like to get something sizable in return that can help us down the road.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:06 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I still wouldn't trade Staal unless by some miracle, we were able to acquire Brad Boyes, David Booth or Jay Bouwmeester (and an extension agreement) for say Staal, Letang and a pick. I'm not a big fan of Gaborik, his groin is glass and he'll walk for more money at the end of the season (since his asking price is out of the question for the Pens), and I'm not sold on Antropov either. He's a big, physical guy but nearing 30, and I don't think he'd have the wheels for Sid's wing.

Staal's made me eat my words as far as moving him to the wing and shown again that he's an awesome 3rd line center, but I just don't think he'd be happy as a Penguin if it meant 3rd line center or a winger to be bounced around from line to line, so perhaps a trade is the only option for Shero. If Staal's really as unhappy as some reports make him out to be, then I would hope Shero would strongly pursue Booth, Boyes or JBo.

Staal is our best option as 3rd line center, but should the opportunity to get Booth, Boyes or JBo arise, I definitely think we could make Crosby/Malkin/Talbot/Zig work as our 4 centers.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
The problem is a double edged sword.

He's terrible and lost as a winger and if you develop him as a centerman than you will have to dish out way too much money and he'll be your third line guy behind Sid and Geno.
When was he terrible and lost as a winger? In the first four games of this season? He scored 29 as a rookie playing on the wing. Give him time to adjust to it. He played center pretty much all of last season.
Quote:
Don't misunderstand me. I like Staal but I just don't see him being here too much longer and I would like to get something sizable in return that can help us down the road.
Like I said, I'm only in favor of trading him if the return includes someone like Bouwmeester or Gaborik. Some of these names you guys are mentioning--like Kotalik (unless Pominville is coming with, no thanks), Horton (signed for the next five seasons), and Antropov (why would Toronto trade him?)--just won't work in a deal for Staal.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:13 PM
66-29-33

Man, people really have a fetish for getting rid of Staal. yeah so what he's 3rd line centre? he's one of the best in the game and still needs to find his offense. Only way i see Staal going is either the draft day, or RFA offersheet.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Super Sniper Cele

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Man, people really have a fetish for getting rid of Staal. yeah so what he's 3rd line centre? he's one of the best in the game and still needs to find his offense. Only way i see Staal going is either the draft day, or RFA offersheet.
There's no way Shero will left Staal get to RFA. He'd be running the risk of someone pulling a K-Lowe and forcing us to either match a ridiculous offer (handicapping us with the cap) or losing him for draft picks--yes, we'd likely get a few first rounders, but we're a contender now. We need Staal more than those picks.

He'll either be traded or signed to an extension before June first of next year.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:23 PM
66-29-33

How can you not like 4 1st round picks(which it may be)? That's 2 1st round picks every year for 4 years, Staal is not close to worth that, we take that and run like bandits. Cup contender or not.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I don't want to see him go, I love the kid. I think he's an amazing talent and he plays the role of shutdown, 3rd line center as good as anyone in the league. That being said, he's young and will only get bigger and stronger, and he'll develop his offensive game more. Shero knows that and Staal knows that, and those days aren't very far off. The thing is, Staal wants to play a more offensive role as a center. He wants to be the main cog on a 1st or 2nd line, and probably get more power play time. With Crosby and Malkin ahead of him on the depth chart for at least another 5 years, he will never supplant them in either of their roles and will probably ask to be moved. I, sadly, think it's a foregone conclusion, it's just a matter of when, where and what the Pens will get in return.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Bored now that you can't advocate trading Fleury?

Old
10-24-2008, 11:32 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
Bored now that you can't advocate trading Fleury?
How about Fleury, Staal, and Whitney in a package? that's a hell of a return we could get, DO IT SHERO!!!

Old
10-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Staal and Letang for Antropov and Kaberle....

Toss in some picks for balance and do the deal right now.
as a leafs fan, i pass on this hard hard HARD

kaberle is a #1 D, and as you've stated, staal is nothing more than a 2 way center

Old
10-25-2008, 12:11 AM
ej_pens

Send a message via AIM to ej_pens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
as a leafs fan, i pass on this hard hard HARD

kaberle is a #1 D, and as you've stated, staal is nothing more than a 2 way center
You are nuts. By the time the Leafs are any good, Kaberle will be on the downside of his career. Antropov is a freaking waste.

I wouldn't touch this from the Pens side and I'm not even a Staal fan.

Old
10-25-2008, 12:18 AM
FindingNeo

The best way to go about trading him is waiting for offers from others, I think Staal might attract that much attention around the trade deadline. He can play well at wing, just because he prefers center doesn't mean he can't play 2nd line with Malkin and Sykora. Honestly I don't see what the big deal is, he's a great penalty killer and allows for us to rest our two best forwards while we still need to win faceoffs.

Old
10-25-2008, 12:20 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej_pens View Post
You are nuts. By the time the Leafs are any good, Kaberle will be on the downside of his career. Antropov is a freaking waste.

I wouldn't touch this from the Pens side and I'm not even a Staal fan.
I'm surprised he knows how to say something other then Crosby is an average player. Thank god i have had him on my ignore list for a while now.

Closed Thread