HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

D Bryan Allen Out Indefinitely - MAJOR Knee Surgery

Old
10-24-2008, 07:48 PM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
D Bryan Allen Out Indefinitely - MAJOR Knee Surgery

Having gone thru a major knee surgery or 2, I feel for the guy. I'm sure he probably ruptured one of his ligaments, most likely ACL (when I ruptured my left ACL, they termed it major too). I'm sure he's out for the season unfortunately. Sounds like Cullimore is likely to return as well.

Source #1: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,2161811.story
Source #2: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/br...ry/740596.html

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:00 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 08:01 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Having gone thru a major knee surgery or 2, I feel for the guy. I'm sure he probably ruptured one of his ligaments, most likely ACL (when I ruptured my left ACL, they termed it major too). I'm sure he's out for the season unfortunately. Sounds like Cullimore is likely to return as well.

Source #1: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/h...,2161811.story
Source #2: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/br...ry/740596.html
Ugh. At least we are deep enough to get through this, unlike the years in the past. Good luck to Bryan on a speedy recovery.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
This sucks.. I hope McCabe returns soon and is healthy

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:30 PM
sinDer

I think we're definitely a better team with Cullimore playing instead of Murphy

so what is JM waiting for!!??

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Gaebriel

He probably didn't want to sign cullimore until he was sure allen would be out for the season.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Welcome back Cully ...

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
zeroG

are we really gonna carry 8 nhl Dmen (and their salaries)? i don't know.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

We wouldn't be. If Allen is out that long, he'll be placed on IR meaning his salary isn't counted against the cap..

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Peter Griffin

Wow, that sucks for Allen. I've always been a fan of his and although he never lived up to the potential of when he was drafted, he's turned out to be a pretty solid defenseman.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:07 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Just talked to Bryan Allen, and he's taking the news as well as you could expect. He said he's flying to Vail, Colo. on Sunday and will undergo the procedure Monday and stay there for about a week before he returns.

Allen told me he'll have to be on crutches for about six to eight weeks after the procedure, which is kind of hard to describe (maybe the doctors out there can help me out). Basically, it's been explained to me that the surgery is to correct "spongy cartilage" at the end of the bone in his knee.

What's important is that Allen will be out for a while, but he says the surgery should have his knee back to new condition.

Thats from Steve's blog in the Sentinel. Its unfortunate that he is probably out for the season, but at least we know that after this procedure, his knee will be 100%. Maybe we can get him back for the first round of the playoffs. YES...Im thinking that far ahead this season!

I dont think some are realizing the severity of this from a different standpoint, and that is the situation with Bouwmeester. Our defense takes a major hit if we trade him at the deadline, regardless of who we get back. I think our top four of Boynton, Ballard, McCabe, and Skrastins is ok, but I feel so much better with Bouwmeester in that group as well. Hopefully when we are sitting comfortably in a playoff spot come February, he will sign long term.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
For ****'s sake, why the hell do these kinds of injuries happen to us every year? Chalk up another 80 man games lost to injury! ****!

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:47 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
We wouldn't be. If Allen is out that long, he'll be placed on IR meaning his salary isn't counted against the cap..
yes but if we take cully back, we'll have the current 6 (welch won't be sent down, not that it would make a huge difference money wise anyhow; murphy won't be sent down) along with mccabe, when healthy, and cullimore. we'd be carrying 8 for the remainder of the season, barring injuries. idk, perhaps with the situation in rochester and nobody really ready to step in, this is what JM will have to do. gives us peace of mind on the D side but less room up front - in fact, might we have to dump an F (stewie's not being sent down) to stay under roster max if we bring cully in? what are we at right now?

Old
10-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I'm glad we didn't dump Skrastins like so many wanted. He will take Allen's spot and he's actually done a really good job so far in that role.

Sure, Allen will be missed. He's our best defensive defenseman and his grit and toughness are only matched by Boynton on D.

What nobody has mentioned is how freaking tough Allen is to play through this type of injury. The guy has a lot of heart and you know if there was any way for him to be out there, he would.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:27 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Q&A with Allen from the Sentinel

Sunrise - Panthers' defenseman Bryan Allen said he will travel to Vail, Colo. on Sunday and will undergo major surgery on his left knee Monday. He will remain there for about a week before returning home.

Allen said he will be on crutches for about six to eight weeks after the surgery. Allen had arthroscopic surgery on the same knee in April, and then again in August. Here is a Q and A with Allen during Friday night's 4-3 home win against the San Jose Sharks:

Q: How serious is the injury?

A: "Serious enough that I'll probably be out for quite a while. With this type of surgery there's not really a timetable. I'm on crutches for six to eight weeks. Then it's coming back from it. It's sort of an up and down recovery. They're not too sure. They have to go in there and see."

Related links

Defense carries Panthers to win

Q: The team has described the surgery as a procedure to address "spongy cartilage" at the end of the bone in your knee. How complicated is the surgery?

A: "There's still an outside chance that it's not as invasive as they think. They might be able to go in there and stabilize the area -- the small defect -- clean it up and that might be good enough. But more than likely they're going to have to do a micro fracture procedure. That area has to fill in with new cartilage after that."

Q: General Manager Jacques Martin said this is a different problem than you had before either of your two arthroscopic surgeries this offseason. Is that the case?

A: "Yes and no, it's sort of related. The two procedures I had previously were basically nothing. They went in there and cleaned [the knee] out. I had a few loose bodies they thought were causing the problem.

"They weren't sure where they were coming from. When they went in there, they kind of saw this area was wearing down. But it's a you-can't-really-fix-it-until-it's-broken sort of thing. It's hard to tell when it originated."

Q: You played much of last season with pain in the knee. What happened during the summer?

A: "They went in there and cleaned it out in April. It was fine all summer and then I started skating and it started to a get a little more intense toward the end and started swelling up again.

"It was frustrating not knowing what was going on in my knee. So, I'm trying to take a positive out of this that, 'here's the problem, here's what we're going to do.' It's going to take some time, but instead of having a bum knee for who knows how long, hopefully this [surgery] will add years onto my career."

Q: From what you've been told, will your knee will as good as new once repaired?

A: "Yeah."

Q: How tough is it having to sit out now?

A: "It's real frustrating. Obviously the last couple of years you don't get the results you want and here's your opportunity not only to win – the points we're getting – but the way we're playing.

"Watching the games, guys are out in front, they're working hard [and] they're working together. Even just being around the locker room, it's a great feeling. Guys love coming to the rink, love hanging out together."

Old
10-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Thanks for that PB, LOVE that last quote, "guys loving coming to the rink and spending time together." That's HUGE for this team this season.

Sucks about Allen, but we've still got a solid defense core. I think we need to sign Culli at this point and not play Murphy as much. We'll see, but if Culli's the same guy he was last season, we'll have a very solid defense still.

10-25-2008, 10:24 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I'm glad we didn't dump Skrastins like so many wanted. He will take Allen's spot and he's actually done a really good job so far in that role.

Sure, Allen will be missed. He's our best defensive defenseman and his grit and toughness are only matched by Boynton on D.

What nobody has mentioned is how freaking tough Allen is to play through this type of injury. The guy has a lot of heart and you know if there was any way for him to be out there, he would.
people wanted to dump skrastins? i don't remember much conversation about that. he finished up the year very well with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Thanks for that PB, LOVE that last quote, "guys loving coming to the rink and spending time together." That's HUGE for this team this season.

Sucks about Allen, but we've still got a solid defense core. I think we need to sign Culli at this point and not play Murphy as much. We'll see, but if Culli's the same guy he was last season, we'll have a very solid defense still.
i agree but nobody's answering the question - are we going to pay 8 nhl defensemen all year and sit 2 every night? i don't know if it's quite as easy as "ok, now we'll sign cully". willing to be proven wrong though.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
This freaking sucks. It's starting to sound like the MVR wrist debacle. I'm telling you, after this surgery, his knee better be back at 100% because I am not down for trading another popular defenseman because his surgeries won't heal appropriately.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:42 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
This freaking sucks. It's starting to sound like the MVR wrist debacle. I'm telling you, after this surgery, his knee better be back at 100% because I am not down for trading another popular defenseman because his surgeries won't heal appropriately.
Agreed. I hope also he is 100% when he gets back. So if it takes him two months to get off crutches, that will take us till the end of December/beginning of January. I figure maybe another two months to rehab and get back into shape. Maybe we can get him back by the end of March, just in time for a playoff run. If there is any tears in that knee, then we wont see him this time next year.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
yes but if we take cully back, we'll have the current 6 (welch won't be sent down, not that it would make a huge difference money wise anyhow; murphy won't be sent down) along with mccabe, when healthy, and cullimore. we'd be carrying 8 for the remainder of the season, barring injuries. idk, perhaps with the situation in rochester and nobody really ready to step in, this is what JM will have to do. gives us peace of mind on the D side but less room up front - in fact, might we have to dump an F (stewie's not being sent down) to stay under roster max if we bring cully in? what are we at right now?
Since Allen and McCabe weren't activated on the roster I think, it was OK having Frolik up here. Allen will be placed on IR, so that doesn't change anything there. But if we sign Cully, when McCabe comes back if he does as scheduled, then we have to either send someone down(Frolik) or trade somebody. I think with McCabe out for another couple of weeks, they will have determined what they want to do with Frolik by then, so if they want him to stay I'm sure they'll make room for him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
If he's not rushed back, he'll be 100% next season. So anyone hoping he'll be back for the playoffs should forget about it. Trying to get him back before next season would just cause more damage to him and then you would have an MVR situation again. Not to mention, it will take him an extensive amount of time to get back into game shape.

Having cartilage in both knees tear, it can vary greatly on how things heal. This definitely sounds similar to my first knee surgery because of him having to be on crutches that long (I was on them for 8 weeks). About 8 months after the surgery, I was about 90% back but that last 10% took a while to recover. This was probably 10 yrs ago but not a significant amount has changed since then in the world of orthopedics. Factor in that he recently had surgery on the knee, its not smart at all to rush him back. But I will say that it is very possible that he can return from this stronger than before. Its very different than wrist surgery so I wouldnt worry as much about that. So long as he can strengthen the surrounding muscles to help stabilize the knee, he'll be fine.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
people wanted to dump skrastins? i don't remember much conversation about that. he finished up the year very well with us.
Are you kidding? Maybe you're confused and thinking I was talking about last year but I'm talking about this season/pre-season.

Greater than 50% of the people on here want(ed) to trade Skrastins for a forward. I know nobody wants to now, I'm just stating that I'm glad we didn't.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:28 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Are you kidding? Maybe you're confused and thinking I was talking about last year but I'm talking about this season/pre-season.

Greater than 50% of the people on here want(ed) to trade Skrastins for a forward. I know nobody wants to now, I'm just stating that I'm glad we didn't.
ok, yeah, you're right. i was thinking about last year.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:53 PM
CanadianPantherFan

I love how this will elevate Skratch's minutes, and in theory his solid game.

I did not like the few people here who thought he should have been traded for a weak draft pick because we had too many dmen at the time

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:30 PM
PanthersRule96

Greg Oden had mircrofracture surgery. Expect Allen to be gone the whole year if that happens.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote