HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Speculation: Habs may have interest in Havlat?

Old
10-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Speculation: Habs may have interest in Havlat?

Here's an interesting part about Renaud Lavoie's article (below) saying that HABS have shown interest in Havlat. I didn't know Havlat has been spending time (or living) in Montreal for the past 3 years? The article says that Havlat is already a huge fan of the city (Montreal), so getting him here won't be that difficult or re-signing him for that matter. Havlat's health concerns: it is mentioned but in a positive way...in that they mention how Havlat (when healthy) is a very talented, dangerous player on ice.

What do you guys/girls think? First time I see this article & first time I hear of HABS having interest in Havlat. Also, did any of you know that Havlat spends his summers here (or lives here during summer) in the last 3 years? The article/Renaud Lavoie doesn't specify this part (or I didn't read it right).

Just me (and not for right now), but I'd prefer going after a TOP 3-4 DEFENSEMAN before TRADE DEADLINE (a right-handed one would be a bonus, but not crucial!). Or, like "Hackett" mentions below, I'd give more time to O'Byrne to see if he goes through a hot streak like last year before he got injured.

-------------------------------------------

Article from RDS (by Renaud Lavoie)
"Martin Havlat"
...la date limite des transactions au début du mois de mars.

Un nom à surveiller est celui de Martin Havlat des Blackhawks et le Canadien a déjà commencé à regarder de ce côté. Havlat est un joueur dangereux lorsqu'il est en santé, ce qui est le cas présentement.

C'est un joueur qui a tous les talents pour réussir. En plus, Havlat adore Montréal puisqu'il y passe ses étés depuis maintenant trois ans. Donc, il ne sera pas difficile à convaincre lorsqu'il sera le temps de lui présenter un contrat.
C'est un dossier à surveiller.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/262184.html

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-25-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:50 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

as little faith that I have in gaborik sustaining his physical health, I have even less faith in havlat.

I know there is the argument of the habs needing a gamebreaker, but I'm more worried about having too many chefs in the kitchen by adding another forward like a gaborik or a havlat. The habs have much more depth and skill at the forward position than most teams even without these guys. Like you said, I think the focus should be on getting a #4 d-man... not necessarily right away but before the deadline (unless o'byrne makes tremendous strides from now until then).

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 06:43 AM
GoodKiwi

Havlat will sign with Iqaluit Igloos at this point and will say that "he loves the city". What else to you want an underachieving, chronically injured upcoming UFA to do?

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:13 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

not interested in Gaborik because he's injury prone but would be interested in Havlat ?

riiiiight...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Please no. Im also on the we need a top 4 D bandwaggon.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Next Best Thing*

He would be a heck of a lot cheaper than Gaborik, so if Gainey truly wants a forward this would be the avenue to take.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:45 AM
SpreeEndaz

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:52 AM
shealy04

As long as the price was reasonable I wouldn't be opposed to taking a shot at him... his health concerns obviously hurts his value so if you could get him at a steal then why not take the gamble?

If Higgins had to be included in a package I would run for the hills, but again if the price is right I think it would be a gamble worth taking.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:52 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
not interested in Gaborik because he's injury prone but would be interested in Havlat ?

riiiiight...
LOL so true, i said yesterday he ( Lavoie ) was one of those that wrote how we were interested in Gaborik and right after BG said we never were interested in him, he comes out with an article saying how we are NO LONGER interested. He is full of crap just like all the others who have access to the public media.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Qui Gon Dave

2008-2009: Top 4 Dman before the deadline.

2009-2010: KO. VAL. CHUK. Be it before the deadline or if he becomes a UFA, I would truly love to see the guy in a Habs uniform, even if it's only for the stretch/playoffs.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:25 AM
Pascal

lol the media in this city is ridiculous. It goes from one star rumored to come here to another in the matter of a week. Who is next in the list after everyone realizes it's BS and will never happen?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I like how when Gainey shoots down one rumour another magically pops up...

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:47 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Higgins+Halak+1st For Gaborik... Ok so we've established it aint happenin.
Now Havlat? wtf that makes absolutely no sense for us, why would we trade for a porcelain hockey player? This is such a waste of time.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Havlat, WHEN HEALTHY, is a dangerous player. That makes as most sense as saying that Lapierre, WHEN HE WILL HAVE HOCKEY SENSE, would be a dangerous player.

There are things that can't happen.....

But now Havlat likes Montreal....so there must a rumor there....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
lol the media in this city is ridiculous. It goes from one star rumored to come here to another in the matter of a week. Who is next in the list after everyone realizes it's BS and will never happen?
That's basically it and RDS is a huge part of the problem as they esentially started the whole Gaborik thing by saying talks were ''intensifying'' and what not.

I heard Lavoie bring this Havlat stuff up on TV the day the Gaborik rumor was shut down (so yes, your point is 100% accurate about how they just go to the next rumored available star on the list, lol) and his justification of it was that Timmins drafted Havlat nearly 10 years ago and that Havlat trains here in the summer. Wow.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:11 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That's basically it and RDS is a huge part of the problem as they esentially started the whole Gaborik thing by saying talks were ''intensifying'' and what not.

I heard Lavoie bring this Havlat stuff up on TV the day the Gaborik rumor was shut down and his justification of it was that Timmins drafted Havlat nearly 10 years ago and that Havlat trains here in the summer. Wow.

Like i said Lavioe is an idiot !!!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:29 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't understand why Chicago would be unloading him. Probably not a Quenneville/Bowman kinda player, but they're pretty young already.

I wouldn't be against it, but given his history of injury I can't say I'd pay a lot for him. If he came for a 2nd round pick at the deadline, I might not say no, but there isn't much (any?) room for him on the top 9. We'd just be adding to the logjam on the 4th line.

10-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I can't understand why Chicago would be unloading him. Probably not a Quenneville/Bowman kinda player, but they're pretty young already.

I wouldn't be against it, but given his history of injury I can't say I'd pay a lot for him. If he came for a 2nd round pick at the deadline, I might not say no, but there isn't much (any?) room for him on the top 9. We'd just be adding to the logjam on the 4th line.
I'm pretty sure you mean that Havlat would add to the logjam on the 4th line by bumping someone down. I mean, seriously, he would be one of the top 3 forwards on this team, in the same class as Kovalev and Tanguay.

I just don't see room for him unless one of the current top 9 forwards gets traded. There's no one I particularly want to trade out of that group. If only we had still had Ryder, we could still discuss these trade proposals/speculations for a top forward.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Tusk

It's more like Havlat is interested in Montreal.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:15 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I am also on the "We-need-a-top-4-dman" bandwagon too.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:23 AM
DrMailloux

If his salary doesn't count against the cap when he's injured then i guess we could afford to get him if he's cheap.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:44 AM
TCIH

Quote:
Bouwmeester. Though I actually wouldn't mind that one.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Lidstrom.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:12 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
It's more like Havlat is interested in Montreal.
Hopefully some others do too, next July?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:14 AM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I can in all seriousness ( despite the whole rumour thing ... ) say that the interest in Havlat is VERY serious from the Habs side.

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote