HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT - Lucian Bute (22-0-0) vs. Librado Andrade (27-1-0) - IBF Super Middleweight Bout

Old
10-25-2008, 02:16 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
That sucks... Bute engaged in a slugfest in the 12th, he was stupid and he deserved to lose.

But what sucks the most is that Montreal gets a big black eye. A referee from Montreal gave the fight to the guy fighting of of Montreal IN Montreal... We whined alot of Lucas got screwed in Germany and now, our guy is on the other hand of the screwjob, that sucks...

The ref did a VERY bad job overall though. He never called Bute for clinching nor Andrade for headbutts and elbow strikes.
i dunno but ill tell ya something that looked real stupid to me . After the fight Bute was smiling ear to ear and when the decision was announced raised his arms in the air let out a big scream of joy and the expressions on his face were one's that should never been there with such a controversial decision . I wouldnt have been as proud as he was thats for sure .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 10-25-2008 at 02:33 AM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:23 AM
Clumsyhab

Did anyone see the fight on Showtime? I'm curious about how the US media thought of the ending.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:28 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Did anyone see the fight on Showtime? I'm curious about how the US media thought of the ending.
During the fight they were really impressed by Bute and where kind of laughing at Andrade's lack of offense but after the fight they were pissed off. They were talking about robbery and they didn't understood why the ref did what he did. Basically, they were in shock.

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Kachino

Send a message via MSN to Kachino
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
That sucks... Bute engaged in a slugfest in the 12th, he was stupid and he deserved to lose.
I don't know about the "engaged in a slugfest" part... It was more that Andrade came inside and gave everything he had in order to get the knock out... Bute could have turtled during the entire 12th round but wasn't able to do so because his legs were out already...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:41 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino View Post
I don't know about the "engaged in a slugfest" part.. came inside and gave everything he had in order to get the knock out... Bute could have turtled during the entire 12th round but wasn't able to do so because his legs were out already...
to be very truthful if the fight was officiated by a good ref i think Bute is done before the 12th round . The ref save him a few times jumping in given him a rest.The Ref even in the seconds before the knock out was in the way of Librado Andrade ,he had to some what step around the ref to get to Bute

that aside ,

Bute was clearly rocked in the 11th . the 12th showed he still didnt recover from getting rocked in the 11th .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

This was the robbery of the century. Gotta love local officiating/Judging. I always thought Bute was a sham and this proves it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
This was the robbery of the century. Gotta love local officiating/Judging. I always thought Bute was a sham and this proves it.
He may not win the fight clean, but to say that he's a shame is going too far. IMO he made a huge mistake in the last round, trying to impress the crowd and the US network and then realizing that he was not able to do so in the last 90 seconds. Bute was clearly the better fighter, but made a rookie mistake in the last round. That being said, Andrade deserves a rematch because he did win the fight IMO since he KO'd Bute at the end. The ref made a mistake, not because he took time to give the count (he was right, since Andrade wasn't in his corner), but no count should have been given at all. Bute was OUT, even after the count.

Remember Ouellet/Hilton? The same thing happened and Hilton won by KO.

Last edited by Clumsyhab: 10-25-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old
10-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He better have a rematch. Somehow I knew when the going would get tough he wouldn't be able to handle it. 'Never been impressed Bute.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:03 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
He was up but being up is not all. You have to look ready to defend your self no? Now if the count was quicker would Andrade have had an other chance to hit him before the end of the round?
no, he wouldnt have. Bute went down with about 8 seconds left in the round.

Quote:
He better have a rematch. Somehow I knew when the going would get tough he wouldn't be able to handle it. 'Never been impressed Bute.
he wont. This match was a mandatory defence so he is not obliged to give a re-match

as for the fight, I was at la cage au sports with friends sitting next to some mexicans. When the fight ended, they were going crazy, thought andrade won. then when they heard the decision I thought they were gonna break everything in their site.
I was going for Bute for he stole one tonight.

EDIT: watching sports 30, Andrade is protesting the decision
Bute apparently will give a re-match. Andrade wants it to be anywhere...preferably in the States.

Arturo Gatti said the 12th round was nothing but fatigue for Bute, he knows because it's happend to him.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:54 AM
Clumsyhab

I might be the biggest homer, but this ref is just ridiculous. At first, I thought Andrade wasn't in his corner, but these videos proved me wrong. Even if a rematch is not obligatory, Bute better gives one to Andrade to "save" his reputation.

Old
10-25-2008, 07:02 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
no, he wouldnt have. Bute went down with about 8 seconds left in the round.

he wont. This match was a mandatory defence so he is not obliged to give a re-match

as for the fight, I was at la cage au sports with friends sitting next to some mexicans. When the fight ended, they were going crazy, thought andrade won. then when they heard the decision I thought they were gonna break everything in their site.
I was going for Bute for he stole one tonight.

EDIT: watching sports 30, Andrade is protesting the decision
Bute apparently will give a re-match. Andrade wants it to be anywhere...preferably in the States.

Arturo Gatti said the 12th round was nothing but fatigue for Bute, he knows because it's happend to him.
I didnt see the match so I can't judge, but based on the vids by Clumsyhab, it's OBVIOUS it was fatigue...

Bute wasnt trying to defend (protect) himself, he wasnt even trying to grab or anything...

And as far as being robbed goes, sure the count look suspicious, but looking at Andrade's face after the 12th round it's not like he didnt receive a few good punches himself... you know...

and I don't see how Bute's rep could be tainted, it's not like he cheated or that he asked the ref to look at Andrade before or during the count... evenery one is saying he dominated most of the rounds so it's not like he didnt belong in the same ring!

I'd be curious to know though if he was really in a neutral corner or not, if he was then HUGE mistake by the ref, if he wasnt then STUPID mistake by Andrade... I mean, we do hear the ref telling Andrade to go in the corner, and more than once...

Sure it s**ks for Andrade as it was obvious that after 10 seconds (not the count, but real seconds) Bute wasnt OK, far from it... you see it in his face, when he got up, he was "out"... but, is it really the ref mistake or Andrade's ?

Let's hope for a rematch, on an evening I'm not working that is so both can have a chance to prove who's right!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 07:03 AM
deandebean

Quote:

Bute DOMINATED Andrade for 11 rounds. He decided to be fancy in the 12th and he shouldn't. He payed the price. Just like Ouellet did in his first match against Hilton. This time too, the ref should have stopped the fight.

Bute is not a sham. He's in the 2nd tier of fighters in his weight category. Which means that he's just behind Galzaghe and Kessler. These two are untouchable right now. Bute has 23 pro bouts in his career and would need at least 4-5 more before challenging the best 2 fighters in the world.

Andrade showed moucho courage. It was Rocky-like. But the guy was outmatched for 11 rounds or so. He clearly finished second if you take out the 12th. but in the 12th, his opponent tried to be Appollo Creed and Andrade should have won.

Calling Bute a sham is ridiculous.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Pascal

when someone wins 11 rounds and loses 1 only I don't think they did that bad. he did look completely out of it at the end though..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Say what you will, but it was great.

On the radio, the announcer was going apepoo in the last 10 seconds. And he's usually quite formal. He was about a tenth of a second away to start crying.

The stuff legends are made of. We'll have a second match. And if Andrade wins, a third one.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:37 AM
rocketlives

There will be a rematch and Andrade will probably win by KO in the first six rounds. Bute kept his title but, in my book, he's a tainted champion. He landed a lot of punches in this fight but he never hurt Andrade. Bute is a beautiful boxer but he lacks a knock out punch.

After being knocked down in the 12th, Bute was back on his feet within the required 9 seconds but he was still groggy and defenseless. The ref could hardly have declared the champion TKO'ed with only a few seconds remaining. However, he did take at least 10 seconds to convince Andrade to go to a neutral corner. Was such a long count justified? Andrade propably thought he was far enough from Bute but, in the end, if he failed to comply with the ref's orders, he has only himself to blame.

Last edited by rocketlives: 10-25-2008 at 09:43 AM.
rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Newhabfan

From the IBF site.

3.When a contestant is knocked down, the referee shall audibly announce the count as he motions with his right arm downward indicating the end of each second of the count.

4. When a contestant has been knocked down, the referee will order the standing contestant to the farthest neutral corner and begin the count. If the contestant standing leaves the corner before the count has been completed, the referee shall discontinue the count and order the standing contestant back into the corner. The count will not resume until the standing contestant has returned to the neutral corner.

5. Three (3) knockdowns in any one round do not automatically terminate the fight. If in the referee's judgment, which must be keen and decisive, the knockdowns have been indecisive and clearly have no injurious effect upon the boxer, the contest may continue but with good sense and judgment and the boxer's welfare always paramount.

6. The bell will not save a boxer in any round of the bout. If a boxer is "downed" just before the 3-minute bell in any round, the referee's count shall continue and the bell will not ring until the boxer rises and his hands clear the floor.

This doesn't change the fact that Bute was KOed at the end of 12th round. And I expressed my position already. However, the point is the referee has enough ground to make a case for his actions in front of the IBF. Maybe the rule needs changing but.....

And please let's not start blaming Bute and calling him names. It's not as if they had all planned with the referees and Lucian paid a bribe behind the Bell center.

Lucian outboxed Andrade for at least 9 rounds. He made an overconfidence error at the end and this could have cost him the game (95%) - then he got lucky.

Did in never happen in Hockey that a team dominates a game, scores 4 goals, then at the end of the game the other team comes back and scores 3 goals and in the last seconds a debatable referee decision prevents them from winning? The issue is that in hockey there are tons of rematch opportunities (4 of 7) - not in boxing unfortunately.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
There will be a rematch and Andrade will probably win by KO in the first six rounds. Bute kept his title but, in my book, he's a tainted champion. He landed a lot of punches in this fight but he never hurt Andrade. Bute is a beautiful boxer but he lacks a knock out punch.

After being knocked down in the 12th, Bute was back on his feet within the required 9 seconds but he was still groggy and defenseless. The ref could hardly have declared the champion TKO'ed with only a few seconds remaining. However, he did take at least 10 seconds to convince Andrade to go in a neutral corner. Was such a long count justified? Andrade propably thought he was far enough from Bute but if he didn't comply with the ref's orders, he has only himself to blame.
Disagree with the first point. He's got 18 KOs.

And the champion's rule is right. Remember Beyer-Lucas?

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I don't care if he dominated the first 11 rounds, if you're not wise enough to know that it takes 12 to win unless you KO somebody and want to give a show to the fan.....you're stupid and deserve to lose.

Honestly, I don't see how this win is any better than a lost as far as his reputation is concerned....Tons of questions marks about him now and will have to give Andrade a rematch a prove his worth.

A champion that wins by being Ko'ed and groggy.......great last image to have in mind....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 10-25-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

I like Bute and all, but I don't care if he's a boxer from here or not (like in hockey...), and in the end he was KOed. I sure hope Quebec journalists shut up next time there's another controversial decision, cause as much as Lucas won against Beyer, Andrade won this one in the end, where that's all that matters... yeah, Bute was good, like his usual self, but in the end, he was dominated...

Like hockey, it's nice to finish first in the conference, but all that really matters are the playoffs...

Boxing is a rotten, corrupted sport... I love watching a boxing bout, but unless there's a KO, I switch channels at the decision...

BUT, as much as I'd like this sport to be pure white, nobody will go watch bouts in Switzerland officiated and judged by neutral personnel...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:16 AM
la25ecoupe

What mistake did Bute made in the last round? He was fancy for doing what?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
NHLcrazy

well pretty much every fight one guy gets screwed....this time our boxer got lucky but i recall fights in the past (in germany to be more specific) where we were robbed...

It's boxing...always be like that.

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:02 AM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post

After being knocked down in the 12th, Bute was back on his feet within the required 9 seconds but he was still groggy and defenseless. The ref could hardly have declared the champion TKO'ed with only a few seconds remaining. However, he did take at least 10 seconds to convince Andrade to go to a neutral corner. Was such a long count justified? Andrade propably thought he was far enough from Bute but, in the end, if he failed to comply with the ref's orders, he has only himself to blame.
rocketlives, Andrade has the 2nd best chin in boxing, trust me he got banged like never before tonight... saying that Bute has no power is ridicoulous. In fact thats why Bute was so tired, because he was trying to knock him out, putting too much power in his shot.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:27 AM
korky00

For allof those who say that it was a robbery yesterday...go and see the article about the fight on ESPN..it is clearly explained that Bute won.

I put the blame on Andrade on this one for letting it go only in the 12th...had he started to hit more in the 11th and Bute would not be champion this morning.

korky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:39 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by korky00 View Post
For allof those who say that it was a robbery yesterday...go and see the article about the fight on ESPN..it is clearly explained that Bute won.

I put the blame on Andrade on this one for letting it go only in the 12th...had he started to hit more in the 11th and Bute would not be champion this morning.
Good article.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=3663125

znk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
so corruption exist even in montreal???

nahhhhh i dont think so..

may just have been a case of random Moronism?

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote