HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Jordan Staal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

vCash: 500
This thread is the definition of facepalm.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:51 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid over Alex View Post
Apparently, there are a lot of GMs that think very highly of him and consider him to be a top tier talent (ala Eric). He is not. He is a very talented two-way centerman and that's where it ends.
I'm just curious what kind of unbelievable talent analyzer you are if you have the ability to say what a 20 year old player is and what he isn't. That's impressive sir.

Since we neglect to see the whole picture and would like to just highlight his offensive struggles and what he is not, I will do the same and just highlight 2006-07 and last game.

I am at the point where I think we should trade Staal and I hope with every fiber of my being he turns into a center that's every bit as good, if not better, than his brother. I'm not big on "I-told-you-so's", but man would that be a good hard lesson for people who like to chalk a 20 year old player up as far as what he is or isn't before that player has only just began to nick the surface of his potential.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Patrick Sharp.

Hellz yeah.

If us numbnuts are going to discuss dealing Staal for a legit winger, I'd like to go after Sharp. Late bloomer who has a real sharp eye for the net, and has a great nose for offense.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:18 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I'm just curious what kind of unbelievable talent analyzer you are if you have the ability to say what a 20 year old player is and what he isn't. That's impressive sir.

Since we neglect to see the whole picture and would like to just highlight his offensive struggles and what he is not, I will do the same and just highlight 2006-07 and last game.

I am at the point where I think we should trade Staal and I hope with every fiber of my being he turns into a center that's every bit as good, if not better, than his brother. I'm not big on "I-told-you-so's", but man would that be a good hard lesson for people who like to chalk a 20 year old player up as far as what he is or isn't before that player has only just began to nick the surface of his potential.
I can't believe people think they are smarter then pro scouts, that's pretty sad! they are NHL scouts for a reason.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:19 AM
66-29-33

His first name is my first name, good enough for me.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Superstar Shane

I think we should try for Patrick Dempsey instead. He's so dreamy.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Patrick McDreamy Sharp?

Old
10-25-2008, 03:00 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by asab View Post
I think we should try for Patrick Dempsey instead. He's so dreamy.
Yeah, but he's no McSteamy...now let me tell you about..wait what was this thread about? Oh yeah, no.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:00 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I don't know if Chico wants to make this trade. They could get someone like that in trading away habby later.

Old
10-25-2008, 03:04 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Trade for a late bloomer? Did you ever think maybe Staal will be a late bloomer? Pens fans only want players when their playing well and don't want to be patient and let a young player develop. They want to run developing young players that aren't producing out of town, trade for guys that are producing right now and then cry in a few years when the vet they trade for is over the hill and Staal is a beast.

Old
10-25-2008, 04:28 AM

I'm not up for trading Staal but I really like Sharp. He also plays that up tempo game that could be a good fit with Crosby.

Old
10-25-2008, 06:14 AM
tdomshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
I'm not up for trading Staal but I really like Sharp. He also plays that up tempo game that could be a good fit with Crosby.
in your avatar... you do know Staal is Canadian, right?

Old
10-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Trade for a late bloomer? Did you ever think maybe Staal will be a late bloomer? Pens fans only want players when their playing well and don't want to be patient and let a young player develop. They want to run developing young players that aren't producing out of town, trade for guys that are producing right now and then cry in a few years when the vet they trade for is over the hill and Staal is a beast.
I have no doubt in my mind Staal is going to develop into a very good player... he may become a great shut down center or a top line center, I don't honestly know.

I think most reasonable Pens fans who advocate a trade of Staal, understand that it is a distinct possibility he could leave in FA if he is stuck as the third line center.

I'm just hoping the lines stay how they are and Staal excels on the second line. This would solve two problems... giving Crosby a winger that can play at his level (Malkin) and keeping Staal at his natural position where he is happy.

If Staal develops into a premiere second line center, the Pens could have two very dangerous lines.

I feel that Staal would do very well if he stays in this role all season, but he will have his up and downs as he develops into a top line center.

The problem is mad man MT will most likely switch up the lines after one bad game.. and we will be right back at square one.

Old
10-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Jag68Sid87

Value-wise, Sharp for Staal is a win for Chicago.

Old
10-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Jag68Sid87

I suppose a thread entitled "EVERYTHING Jordan Staal" wasn't enough.

Old
10-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Kinguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I suppose a thread entitled "EVERYTHING Jordan Staal" wasn't enough.

Not to mention this one:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=561676

Old
10-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Pick87your71Poison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Value-wise, Sharp for Staal is a win for Chicago.
I def agree. I have no problem with Sharp and he would probably look really good playing next to Sid, but honestly he has been around for quite a while now and doesn't have nearly the upside of a player like Staal, who still has a great chance to be significantly better than Sharp.

Old
10-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

I like Sharp, I really do, and his cap hit is low enough relative to his play (and long-ish term) that I'd probably approve a trade for Staal.

But this doesn't really take into account that not only do the Hawks have the likes of Huet and Campbell locked up to above market deals, but they'll also be able to negotiate long-terms with Toews, Kane, and Keith this upcoming summer, which obviously won't come cheap. I can't see them wanting to trade a player as talented as Sharp on such a crazy value contract with so many big contract extensions looming.

Old
10-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

I don't want trade Staal but if I had to choose a forward in exchange for Staal I'd want a guy like Dustin Brown. I'm not saying LA would be interested at all, but he's just the kind of player Pittsburgh could use in terms of wingers, IMO. Pittsburgh would have 3 guys in the top 10 in hits.

Satan-Crosby-Brown
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora

I think those lines are very well balenced. Oh, and he's a right handed shot, too. Yeah, it's a fantasy of mine.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:14 AM
WVP

Had to merge the thread about trading Staal with the thread about trading Staal.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:27 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
Bored now that you can't advocate trading Fleury?
Bored since I haven't been on the boards in a while and thrilled that you have a chance to disagree and belittle my suggestions again?

Last edited by WVP: 10-25-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old
10-25-2008, 10:34 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post

I'm just going by what I see the same as you are brother. In my estimate Staal will never be more than a 3rd line center on this team, behind Sid and Geno. In the time I've watched him at wing, I've seen him look sluggish and at times looking like he really wasn't sure what he's doing.

I don't claim to be an expert on things like this, but it just seems to me that we would be best served getting a proven stud on wing or at least reloading the talent pool with one or more high potential WINGERS. It's the same gripe that I have every draft day with the Pens. They refuse to take wingers any sooner than the 6th round.

Once again, I have nothing personal against Staal, I just think that we can get a load back for him and that makes sense to me because I don't see him as being part of the long term plans in Pittsburgh. Nobody is saying that he's crap.

Old
10-25-2008, 10:37 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
I don't want trade Staal but if I had to choose a forward in exchange for Staal I'd want a guy like Dustin Brown. I'm not saying LA would be interested at all, but he's just the kind of player Pittsburgh could use in terms of wingers, IMO. Pittsburgh would have 3 guys in the top 10 in hits.

Satan-Crosby-Brown
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora

I think those lines are very well balenced. Oh, and he's a right handed shot, too. Yeah, it's a fantasy of mine.
Here you go. This is the type of response I was looking for when I started the thread. Who can we get back and what do you think he would be worth to other GMs that could help us.

Brown crossed my mind as well. I still think that a guy like Kovy would be perfect but I realize he's on the back nine of his career, so that wouldn't be ideal from that standpoint.

Old
10-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post

Satan-Crosby-Brown
Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora

Definitely. But the only other proven scoring, bruising "powerforward" type winger is Morrow, and he's not getting traded either. They're a rare breed.

Ironically, Pacioretty could end up being that type of player and we passed him up for Espo.

Old
10-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick87your71Poison View Post
I def agree. I have no problem with Sharp and he would probably look really good playing next to Sid, but honestly he has been around for quite a while now and doesn't have nearly the upside of a player like Staal, who still has a great chance to be significantly better than Sharp.
Yeah... there's a great chance Staal will be better, have a better career etc. etc.

There's also a major chance that Patrick Sharp will do significantly more to help a team, not least ours, over the next three-four years compared to Staal (Sharp is signed for three years after this at 3.9 million). He fits most anything we'd want for Sid's wing style-wise, got 36 goals last year and a +26 rating on one of the leakiest teams in the West, and he is hot from the off this season.

Potential might be overvalued in the new NHL and no less so on HF, but current star production from a 26 year old probably has some value with GM's still.

That said, Chicago could use a center like Staal.

Closed Thread