HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No hope for Eastern Teams next year.....

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 03:52 PM
SabresFan44

vCash: 500
No hope for Eastern Teams next year.....

I am a Sabres fan and I was looking to see the teams who will and wont make the playoffs next year, and i was looking to find the Sabres a spot and it doesen't look good. Why? Look at the teams that made it last year that will make it next year.

in no order...
Tampa Bay
Ottawa
Philly
New Jersey
Montreal
Toronto
Boston
now here's where im not sure....the islanders may not make it. That's the only place where i see an opening for Buffalo, but wait. There's teams like Atlanta and Florida who are going to be amazing and now u have to worry about them. And this is forgetting about Carolina (who is ok) and the rangers and islanders. So Buffalo and other east teams wanting to get in are going to have a hard time.

Anybody that says the west is harder is insane and the hardest division is clearly the North East with the North West comming 2nd.

Old
07-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I'll agree with you the Northeast Division is not an easy target right now for a young team who wants to climb up in the standings...

Ottawa
Montreal
Boston
Toronto
Buffalo
(In no specific order)

3 teams that gets 100 points last year and most importantly...

4 teams out of 13 in the entire NHL with 40 wins last year...

I'll add
Toronto is keeping the same core.
Montreal is by all account an improved team right now (not counting any Ufa yet)
Boston have still the same core but will have some changes
Ottawa is ottawa, let's see what will happen on the ufa market but anyways...
Buffalo have some works to do but I like some of their youngs.

West is still very powerful but The East is working on this quite fast.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Steve L*

I dont see how Boston can have the same core when they are losing Murray, Rolston, Slegr, McGillis, Knuble and Nylander.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:47 PM
BronxBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
I dont see how Boston can have the same core when they are losing Murray, Rolston, Slegr, McGillis, Knuble and Nylander.
Who's to say they won't re-sign any of them? Rolston has said more than once that he wants to stay in Boston. If Knuble was smart, he'd want to stay on Joe Thornton's wing since that's what got him where he is. Mike O'Connell was pleased with Nylander's play and he was a great fit on the second line with Samsnov and Bergeron.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Considering Boston will still have Thornton, Samsonov, Bergeron, Raycroft, Boynton, and Gonchar, it isn't that bad.

Old
07-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Considering Boston will still have Thornton, Samsonov, Bergeron, Raycroft, Boynton, and Gonchar, it isn't that bad.
That's still a pretty big hit to their team.

Old
07-01-2004, 08:39 PM
DevilFisch

Send a message via ICQ to DevilFisch Send a message via AIM to DevilFisch
OK, it's bad for the Sabres and other teams. However, how does this lead to no hope for teams in the Eastern Conference?

Old
07-01-2004, 08:53 PM
SabresFan44

well

well i didn't mean for it to be all the east conf teams, i just meant for the ones trying to get it. But now that ya mention it, it DOES affect even the teams that are in because the news ones comming in will boot them out. All i was trying to get at is in the West it's much easier.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:04 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:

Some people could view some of these players leaving as addition by subtraction. Murray & Rolston will fetch a lot on the open market, and they are good hockey players, but they play a soft game, and generally no show in the playoffs

Old
07-01-2004, 09:07 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Nylander is a late addition, wasnt part of the last year core...
They have hope with Girard so I guess Slegr is "expandable".

Murray, Rolston, Knuble and "McGillis" are a big loss but Gonchar is also a late addition who is a + on D so McGillis is out also.

Let's say Boston will still have "most" of the core of last year regular season which is what i was looking for. Playoffs is not important as the Habs will take on them again anyways

Old
07-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
Nylander is a late addition, wasnt part of the last year core...

Murray, Rolston, Knuble and "McGillis" are a big loss but Gonchar is also a late addition who is a + on D so McGillis is out also.

Let's say Boston will still have "most" of the core of last year regular season which is what i was looking for. Playoffs is not important as the Habs will take on them again anyways
please, no, not again.

Old
07-02-2004, 11:13 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
That list isnt definite...

Look at the Caps, they tanked last year and im sure they probably would have been on anyone's list to make the playoffs this past year at the start of the season.

You have to wonder atleast one team will tank...

I'd say the Islanders' luck has run up and Buffalo will be the 8th seed, hey... maybe even the 7th ahead of Atlanta.

Old
07-03-2004, 12:14 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
lol....i hope you mean expendable...no one wants and EXPANDABLE Slegr...although he is rather smallish...

Old
07-03-2004, 12:26 AM
leafaholix*

Toronto was a force last season and will be getting rid of a few older players that are either 7-12 forwards or bottom pairing defensemen.

There will be a couple more younger players on the roster with guys like Colaiacovo, Hedin, Kukumberg, Tellqvist, and/or possibly Steen making the lineup. Matthew Stajan will get more ice-time as well.

Out...

Robert Reichel
Mikael Renberg
Calle Johansson
Ron Francis
Trevor Kidd
Tom Fitzgerald (he's likely gone)
Bryan Marchment (he's likey gone)

If it's a shortened season, the Leafs should be a favourite out of the East.q

Old
07-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Knucklez

There's no way to know whether Flordia and Atlanta will be "amazing". You can't just flick a switch, and making the transition from a young team with high potential to a consistent winner doesn't happen over night.

Old
07-03-2004, 11:53 AM
riles

Yes, making the playoffs in the East will be difficult but it will be just as tough in the West.

With the old guard in Detroit, Dallas, Colorado and St. Louis still having strong teams. Then there's the teams who should all improve: San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Nashville, Edmonton, Minnesota, Los Angeles and Anaheim. I don't see Phoenix, Columbus or Chicago making a run for the playoffs, so it is a 12 team race for 8 spots.

Los Angeles is the only team in the top 12 who I could see realistically struggling next season, but they may be able to add a free agent or two with their extra budget room.

So yes, I do see the West as being tougher than the East this year. The amount of points for teams in the West will probably be lower though, since the pack is much closer to the elite teams than in the past.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

By no means is Montreal a lock to make the playoffs. Let's see them string some consecutive appearances first.

Old
07-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Iceburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by riles

Los Angeles is the only team in the top 12 who I could see realistically struggling next season, but they may be able to add a free agent or two with their extra budget room.
You think anyone wants to journey into the hex that is the LA Kings? Shooting for 700+ man-games lost next season!

Old
07-03-2004, 03:41 PM
riles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceburgh
You think anyone wants to journey into the hex that is the LA Kings? Shooting for 700+ man-games lost next season!
I think a couple players will mainly because they have some money laying around and will be a good team if they stay healthy. I also thought this season would be their one to stay healthy and that didn't exactly work out.

Old
07-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Satan81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Why is that? Because the Leafs are getting so old that they wouldn't last an 82 game schedule again? J/K

Old
07-05-2004, 10:03 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Toronto was a force last season and will be getting rid of a few older players that are either 7-12 forwards or bottom pairing defensemen.

There will be a couple more younger players on the roster with guys like Colaiacovo, Hedin, Kukumberg, Tellqvist, and/or possibly Steen making the lineup. Matthew Stajan will get more ice-time as well.

Out...

Robert Reichel
Mikael Renberg
Calle Johansson
Ron Francis
Trevor Kidd
Tom Fitzgerald (he's likely gone)
Bryan Marchment (he's likey gone)

i wish they'd keep fitzgerald...unless they have better plans for free agency

Old
07-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Jaded-Fan

what is amazing to me is how anyone can predict anything with the new CBA environment being so up in the air . . . anything could happen from a hard cap (which would totally shuffle everything as many of the teams listed would be gutted) to no changes at all to something in between. What we do know is that there are likely to be some sort of changes that will skew that list and until we know what they are, predictions are near impossible right now.

Old
07-05-2004, 11:00 AM
KH1

Consider this: Montreal and the Islanders were the weak links of the Eastern Conference playoff teams (in the regular season, before Habs fans kill me), and they should therefore be considered the two teams most likely to lose a spot to Buffalo, Atlanta, Florida, or anybody else who wants to challenge.

The Habs got better when they picked up Bonk, and this will be especially true if they can resign Kovalev. I can't really see a way in which they got any worse, so it seems like they should make it again.

But the Islanders also got better, because the will (presumably) be playing next season with DiPietro having improved, and with Alexei Yashin, Mark Parrish and Dave Scatchard back. That's three 20 goal scorers (Scatch played the better part of last season, but was struggling with injuries the whole time and was pretty much worthless.) So on paper it looks bleak for any team trying to get in. But hey, that's why they play the games.

Closed Thread