HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lapierre reminds me of Kesler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2008, 11:40 AM
  #76
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Bottomline, they are not similar in role, skill or potential.
other than that though, maybe a bit alike ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:51 AM
  #77
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Strange, that description fits Maxim Lapierre pretty well too despite what you're saying.

Ask Canucks fans... in his early years Kesler wasn't THAT good in his own end, yes he was good but not as good as he is TODAY. Lapierre still has a lot to learn, he will get better as well.

Maybe some of you need to step outside of the 'HF consensus' sometimes....

And no I would not post this on the main board because most people over there havn't seen both play enough and think Lapierre is just a 4th liner that has no talent and Kesler one of the best two-way player in the game... and both are not true IMO.
Strange that you think that describes Lapierre. Maxim doesn't handle his defensive responsibilities nearly adeptly enough to be described as a player that does so, in fact, my biggest knock on his game is he gets himself out of position too often in his own zone. A center has rather specific requirements in Carbonneau's system (in most NHL systems), and Lapierre's overzealousness, particularly physically, too often overshadows his defensive work. Also, aside from along the boards, he's a little too easy to play against for an agitator. He uses his speed to buzz around and cause havoc, but Kesler relies on smarts and positioning to be an effective defensive player who has the skills, when he forces a turnover, to make things happen offensively as well. Lapierre's worlds away from where Kesler was at the same stage of his career.

As for asking Canucks fans - why would I do that? I've seen Kesler play a lot of hockey games and I'd rather decide for myself what I think rather then ask Canucks fans. But I urge to you ask the, because you are way off base. Kesler arrived in the NHL when he did because he was such a well rounded two way player. Once he found his comfort zone, he developed his offensive game as well. This is neither how Lapierre arrived in the NHL nor the trajectory he's on now.

As for stepping outside of the 'HF Consensus' I'm not sure what that's even supposed to mean, but it's worth pointing out that just because you've said something that nobody agrees with (perhaps because you're wrong?) that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
2 years ago Kessler was already a hot commodity because he was considered a guy who could play against top lines every night. Lapierre who is working hard, doesn't have much in the way of instinctive play. He contributes, and can play on the team but Lapierre has a lot to improve on to get to Kessler's game.

If Chip could move better, he'd be in that role now.

What he said.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-24-2008 at 01:11 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM
  #78
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
other than that though, maybe a bit alike ?
Well both of them do play hockey.....that's close enough....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
  #79
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well both of them do play hockey.....that's close enough....
They also both have male genitals, though some B's fans have suggested otherwise.

They'd know I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Strange that you think that describes Lapierre. Maxim doesn't handle his defensive responsibilities, in fact, my biggest knock on his game is he gets himself out of position too often in his own zone. A center has rather specific requirements in Carbonneau's system, a Lapierre's overzealousness, particularly physically, too often overshadows his defensive work. Also, aside from along the boards, he's a little too easy to play against for an agitator. He's worlds away from where Kesler was at the same stage of his career.

As for asking Canucks fans - why would I do that? I've seen Kesler play a lot of hockey games and I'd rather decide for myself what I think rather then ask Canucks fans. But I urge to you ask the, because you are way off base. Kesler arrived in the NHL when he did because he was such a well rounded two way player. Once he found his comfort zone, he developed his offensive game as well. This is neither how Lapierre arrived in the NHL nor the trajectory he's on now.

As for stepping outside of the 'HF Consensus' I'm not sure what that's even supposed to mean, but it's worth pointing out that just because you've said something that nobody agrees with (perhaps because you're wrong?) that doesn't mean it's a good thing.
That's not a criticism of Lapierre though. He does his job. I think Carbo, along with Muller and Jarvis would love for him to grow into a role that the other guy plays, and I get the feeling that he may be a pet project.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-24-2008 at 01:12 PM.
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
  #80
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
other than that though, maybe a bit alike ?
They both like pistachio ice cream and have a fascination with Austrian folk dancing.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:16 PM
  #81
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
They both like pistachio ice cream and have a fascination with Austrian folk dancing.
Well, to be fair, that's a pretty broad cross section of society.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:21 PM
  #82
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate
 
Slew Foots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
They both like pistachio ice cream and have a fascination with Austrian folk dancing.
Who doesn't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBUF5SMtC4

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 12:41 PM
  #83
fufonzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
I agree with everyone on here except the OP and the ones who agreed with him.

Kesler reads plays a lot better has much better offensive and defensive awareness than Lapierre. He is a much better player at both ends of the ice.

The only thing that they have in common is that they skate fast and work hard.

Lapierre has zero vision and has a difficult time reading plays. He will not ever get 20 goals because he doesn't have the hockey smarts to get into the right position (and because of this he'll never play with great linemates, which will make it even harder to get goals).

If we're looking for a Lapierre comparison, we can just look at his linemate, Bégin. In my opinion, Lapierre is a younger Bégin with a little more offensive potential and a little less heart.

He is a career 4th liner (albeit, a good one) and those who don't see this will be very disappointed by his career progression.

Like someone said above, Lapierre knows his role, and as long as he doesn't pull a Bulis and think he can score goals, he'll do very well with us.


Last edited by fufonzo: 10-24-2008 at 12:46 PM.
fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:49 AM
  #84
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Except the speed , kyle chipchura is a better comparison to ryan kessler than max lapierre ,
Here I thought Kesler had a mean streak...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 09:24 AM
  #85
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
That's a word we just don't hear enough of. You hear little bugger every now and then.

You make a good point, Lapierre does good things on the ice, he's got some flaws and holes in his game, some of them should lessen in time, but he does a good job of creating havoc down low. I wish he could move the puck a bit better when he makes things happen around the net, but it hasn't come to him to yet. Sometimes we have a tendency to focus on what a guy can't do rather than what he can.
He did have a little more patience with the puck in Hamilton, so who knows, maybe it will come in time.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:52 AM
  #86
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

That's not a criticism of Lapierre though. He does his job. I think Carbo, along with Muller and Jarvis would love for him to grow into a role that the other guy plays, and I get the feeling that he may be a pet project.
I wasn't commenting on that to critcize Maxim, merely pointing out he plays nothing like Ryan Kesler.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:04 PM
  #87
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I wasn't commenting on that to critcize Maxim, merely pointing out he plays nothing like Ryan Kesler.
I know. I've got this habit of quoting posts when I mean to continue the point rather than refute it. Most people would say, 'I agree and something like futhermore' but I always forget.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:15 PM
  #88
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
To be honest, a fair comparison to Maxim Lapierre in the NHL would be Max Talbot.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:57 PM
  #89
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
To be honest, a fair comparison to Maxim Lapierre in the NHL would be Max Talbot.
If his upside is Talbot, I'll be happy as I think Talbot does a good job for the Pens.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 02:12 PM
  #90
Nobak
Registered User
 
Nobak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Right now, it's not even close. And I've been high on Lapierre the past 3 years. Kessler is miles ahead of Max at this stage, & I can only hope he comes close to being as good as him.
For some reason, if you asked me beforehand, I would not have predicted that this thread would feature an RO Swordsman sprite edited into a Habs player :teaaaach: icon.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.