HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What's wrong with our second line ?

Old
10-26-2008, 11:01 AM
rocketlives

vCash: 500
What's wrong with our second line ?

Last night they were all -2. Kovy did setup Tanguay beautifully on the PP and Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but besides that, they weren't dangerous. Kovalev doesn't seem to be a happy camper right now. I know from previous comments he made that he doesn't like players who waste shots on goal when they don't have a play.

If I were in Carbo's shoes, I'd try:

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
Higgins-Lang-Kovalev
SKostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostopoulos.

Kosto could be replaced by Andrei Kostitsyn when he's back from his injury. Thoughts.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Fire Brunet*

We're 7 games into the season.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:05 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Last night they were all -2. Kovy did setup Tanguay beautifully on the PP and Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but besides that, they weren't dangerous. Kovalev doesn't seem to be a happy camper right now. I know from previous comments he made that he doesn't like players who waste shots on goal when they don't have a play.

If I were in Carbo's shoes, I'd try:

Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse
Higgins-Lang-Kovalev
SKostitsyn-Plekanec-Kostopoulos.

Kosto could be replaced by Andrei Kostitsyn when he's back from his injury. Thoughts.
I find it funny how you can say that Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but wasn't dangerous. It baffles me. Sure, the points aren't racking up for that line but they aren't playing bad. Plekanec had an awesome game last night and they had multiple chances of scoring in the 3rd period. If it wasn`t for Giguere, they would have probebly had 2-3 goals last game.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
muzion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but besides that, they weren't dangerous. Kovalev doesn't seem to be a happy camper right now. I know from previous comments he made that he doesn't like players who waste shots on goal when they don't have a play.
ten of em right in Giguere's chest

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:07 AM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
I find it funny how you can say that Plekanec had 13 shots on goals but wasn't dangerous. It baffles me. Sure, the points aren't racking up for that line but they aren't playing bad. Plekanec had an awesome game last night and they had multiple chances of scoring in the 3rd period. If it wasn`t for Giguere, they would have probebly had 2-3 goals last game.

+1...

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Krautso

Plekanec looked like jason blake last night. shooting from everywhere regardless of whether there was a decent opportunity to score. Thats not how the second line scored goals last year. It was through crafty play and skilled passing to present good scoring opportunities. I'd rather they take 4 good shots than 20 crappy ones....

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Ross MacLochness

The line aren't getting blown up.

They scored 90 goals last year. 90. Last year combining Lats, Koivu, and Tanguays goal totals and you get 50. The Lang line? 57. And Pleks-Kovy-Andrei didn't start clicking until mid December.

Also, Andrei hasn't played the last two games, he's a big part of the line. But when he was healthy, I noticed Kovalev was trying to do it all himself, the line also wasn't working as hard as they could. But it was just 4 games, and they still put up 3 goals.

They'll be fine. Once Andrei gets back, and Kovalev starts passing the puck regularly, the goals will come.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I really hope we'll stop inventing stuff. Kovalev isn't happy 'cause things aren't going his way. Not the other way around. Journalists see him in the dressing room with a big smile, he has fun in practice, it's in the games that it doesn't work too well for one reason....teams acknowledge that Plekanec isn't doing much and AKost wasn't too much of a threat. So they double their coverage on Kovy and he can't do anything and then becomes frustrated.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I really hope we'll stop inventing stuff. Kovalev isn't happy 'cause things aren't going his way. Not the other way around. Journalists see him in the dressing room with a big smile, he has fun in practice, it's in the games that it doesn't work too well for one reason....teams acknowledge that Plekanec isn't doing much and AKost wasn't too much of a threat. So they double their coverage on Kovy and he can't do anything and then becomes frustrated.
I don't know about double coverage...kovy tried alot of little trick plays that work more often than not for him but last night they just ended up in turnovers. The second line needs to take a look at how the first line is getting it done. Movement off the puck, creating high-percentage passing lanes and good scoring opportunities. If the only guy moving is the guy carrying the puck, you will turn the puck over. SK and Plek were not moving well without the puck making it very hard on Kovy...forcing him to try and beat a guy one-on-one THEN draw another player off of one of his linemates to create an opportunity. That's pretty low percentage....even for kovy.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I don't know about double coverage...kovy tried alot of little trick plays that work more often than not for him but last night they just ended up in turnovers. The second line needs to take a look at how the first line is getting it done. Movement off the puck, creating high-percentage passing lanes and good scoring opportunities. If the only guy moving is the guy carrying the puck, you will turn the puck over. SK and Plek were not moving well without the puck making it very hard on Kovy...forcing him to try and beat a guy one-on-one THEN draw another player off of one of his linemates to create an opportunity. That's pretty low percentage....even for kovy.
Put Higgins on the Pleks line and put SKost with Lang again. Kosty Jr. looks totally lost with those guys and misses Lang A LOT.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:30 AM
redmachine54

They started a bit slow, but after the Philly game, I was sure they'd pick it up. Then Andrei got injured two games later, which really affected the line. Sergei's a gritty player, but Andrei plays with an intimidating edge, and just can't be replaced by his brother.

They'll pick it up. If they stop with the individualistic plays and start playing together, they'll get it going.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Year 101

they'll pick it up there gaining momentum and had a lot of shots last night they'll get in back of the net soon enough

Year 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Krautso

Quote:
Put Higgins on the Pleks line and put SKost with Lang again. Kosty Jr. looks totally lost with those guys and misses Lang A LOT.
I agree, for some reason Kosty Jr. feels that he has more responsibility with Lang but is content to watch Kovy try to stickhandle through the opposition without offering him support. Pleks should take a long look at the video from last night because wristers from 30 feet out with no traffic and a squared up goalie are bound to end up in the logo. Kovy was looking for quite a few return passes from him that never came...

Old
10-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I agree, I understood giving SKost a shot with Pleks and Kovy. But now that Higgins is back, SKost should go back to play with Lang. They seemed to have very good chemistry together.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:13 PM
x-bob

Also, don't forget that Kovalev has hit a total of 4-5 posts this season. Those chances could have easily went in. Sure they didn't but with time, it will start clicking for them.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:15 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

In my opinion, the biggest problem is that teams have adjusted to them.

Or they change their patterns a little bit.
Or we try new combos.

Personnally, I'd wait until we get past the 10 games mark before making changes (a couple more games with AK46) but if it doesn't work any better, than maybe re-uniting Kovy and Lang would be a good idea.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:21 PM
CPrice

I really want to see Pleks break out, hes one of my favorite Hab players.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Ross MacLochness

Another thing, they play 4 and 1/3 games together and are demoted to "Second line" status now? How bout if Tanguay, Koivu and Lats score 90 goals this season they can be called the top line.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
jdmef8vtec*

there not passing and cycling like they did last year, looking so far like personal stats are more important. 2/3 are in last year of contracts. Will see when Andrei comes back if they can gel within a few games.

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
couz

What sucks is that we rarely have two great lines firing on all cylinders at the same time...I'm not talking about only this year but over the last three years.

It would be nice to get that Pleks line going while the Koivu line keeps scoring.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:34 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Another thing, they play 4 and 1/3 games together and are demoted to "Second line" status now? How bout if Tanguay, Koivu and Lats score 90 goals this season they can be called the top line.
To quote PJ Stock :

"What have you done for me lately asti"

Seriously, so far this year, they're not playing better than Koivu's line. However, I don't even want us to say 1st, 2nd, 3rd anymore... We have three great lines. Some will slump sometimes, to surge later...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:39 PM
NewHabsEra*

Simple, Kovy plays alone, give him 2 grinders and there is no difference...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Last year merits only go that far. Koivu line has been carrying the load, eventhough Kovalev and Plekanec have had more ice time early. I think they are becoming 2nd line right now - but that could change in few games.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
ten of em right in Giguere's chest
more then half the shots on Giguere are into his chest, he takes up the whole damn net.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:05 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
more then half the shots on Giguere are into his chest, he takes up the whole damn net.

It's all about the Sealy Posterpealy !!!!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote