HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Not Sure about #71

Old
10-26-2008, 06:32 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
He was OK last year playing +/- half the games...

so far this season he's playing them all, and how it's going for him... guess it's time for a break!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 07:01 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post

Are you done now?

Until an alternative to Breezer comes along. You all better get used to him playing.
You know human beings are really strange animals. We get use to anything. There are people who can get use to having a constant ringing in their ear and stop noticing it. William Shatner has that problem.

Now how does this relate to the Habs and Brisebois? The Breezer is constantly weak on defense. On some nights he's not as weak as others and some of us wet our underwear because of it. But we have gotten use to his ineptness and marvel at the fact that he's not horrendous every night. A team that has Brisebois playing regularly is not a stanley cup contender.

O'Byrne makes mistakes. O'Byrne is also 23 years old. There's a good chance he'll learn and develop. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that will happen to Brisebois.

Most of you Brisebois defenders justified his signing by saying he's a good 7th d-man. Let me ask you this: is Carbo using Brisebois as a 7th d-man?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:21 AM
sampollock

time for bob to make a deal for a 5th d man, and get breeze by out in the press box making popcorn

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Brisebois is really, REALLY a turnover master.

there is no denial, after 15+ years in the NHL he has no match.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:37 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Most of you Brisebois defenders justified his signing by saying he's a good 7th d-man. Let me ask you this: is Carbo using Brisebois as a 7th d-man?
Yes, he is. It may not look like it up to this point, but he is. Bouillon was injured until two games ago (Brisebois was supposed to be scratched then, but more injuries forced him into the lineup).

O'Byrne, by far, had been our worst defenseman up to this point.. so Carbo was just sending a message last night.

Brisebois didn't cost us the win.. our entire defensive game did. I doubt O'Byrne would of been of any help.

However, O'Byrne will be back next game.. we all know this.. and Brisebois will become what he is.. the #7.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
puckeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Yes, he is. It may not look like it up to this point, but he is. Bouillon was injured until two games ago (Brisebois was supposed to be scratched then, but more injuries forced him into the lineup).

O'Byrne, by far, had been our worst defenseman up to this point.. so Carbo was just sending a message last night.

Brisebois didn't cost us the win.. our entire defensive game did. I doubt O'Byrne would of been of any help.

However, O'Byrne will be back next game.. we all know this.. and Brisebois will become what he is.. the #7.

You're right, but we haven't had an upgrade to our defense since Gorges and Hamrlik (not sure which came last). Gainey must be focused on bolstering our top 4 right now. Patrice was the low budget insurance policy but we're headed for a war zone. We need better defense.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

On one play yesterday, Brisebois was afraid to get hit so he did a cowardly move, then not too long after that caused a turnover and got a hooking penalty. The guy is anti-physical plays and he made it to the NHL. unreal

Last edited by Kimota: 10-26-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:17 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

ok that was the last straw. He's done, he can't play anymore.

Call up Weber.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
You know human beings are really strange animals. We get use to anything. There are people who can get use to having a constant ringing in their ear and stop noticing it. William Shatner has that problem.

Now how does this relate to the Habs and Brisebois? The Breezer is constantly weak on defense. On some nights he's not as weak as others and some of us wet our underwear because of it. But we have gotten use to his ineptness and marvel at the fact that he's not horrendous every night. A team that has Brisebois playing regularly is not a stanley cup contender.

O'Byrne makes mistakes. O'Byrne is also 23 years old. There's a good chance he'll learn and develop. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that will happen to Brisebois.

This might be the most creative reply post I've read since I've been here.

I have no doubt that O'Byrne will someday be a solid top 4 defenseman in NHL. So my posts are in no way a slam against the kid.

Also yes I was one of the ones that supported Breezer being re-signed as a 7th defenseman for the Habs. Unfortunately since O'Byrne is struggling, and Cube's pre-season injury. Breezer has had to play a lot more than personally I would like to see.

My point isn't that I want to see Breezer play top 4 minutes. My point is that we need an alternative that will be better than Breezer to play those minutes. So that Breezer can go back to the role that we signed him for.

Some posters have suggested O'Byrne, Weber, Carle, etc... But as far as I'm concerned, none of them are a better alternative, not right now anyways. I think it's time that Gainey starts to look outside of the organization.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:25 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
ok that was the last straw. He's done, he can't play anymore.

Call up Weber.
IMO Weber is starting learning how to play defence against pros. He is getting some good PP time in Hamilton. Unfortunately their PP has gone 0 for 11 in their last two games (both losses). He does not PK at this time for good reason. As for Valentenko and Carle both are injured. Carle hasn't played since he was hurt. Based on Tank's earlier play down here I can't see him being any help. As mentioned earlier by a crazy person, Henry could be some help in short term he's been steady down here.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

But he scored in the playoffs last year....

I think that this was the scary thing about having Brisebois back. I think that clearly he's a #7 d-man. The scary part is that even though he's labelled as is, Carbo just can't let his pal too many games in the stands.

I also feel that somehow, they felt obligated to take him back so he could play his 1000th game with us. Some might say that Gainey doesn't fall into that trap, well I think that on some occasions he does and that's one of them. I'm sorry but looking only at Brisebois and not signing anybody else that was available at the UFA period on D is proof that it was Brisebois all along for that specific role. Still, Carbo doesn't see it that way....like good old Dandenault who should even be #14 forward and even if he didn't play last game and AKost comes back, you'll see Dandenault becoming again top 12 material. There are guys with pretty clear roles until Carbo decides that he's not able to let them rot in the stands....

Too much outside considerations, not enough hockey ones.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Megaforce

I've always been ok Byrne, in spite of his tradition-defying apostrophe.

He's made some mistakes this year but I don't remember any of them resulting in goals.

Brisebois looks like Grandpa Simpson out there.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:40 AM
mcphee

How'd William Shatner get involved in this ?

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
How'd William Shatner get involved in this ?
I don't know, but I was quite impressed with how onice was able to fit him in.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
his name is obyrne.....yes he may be young and may not be playing well but i think i can say with confidence that over 75% of the people here would prefer obyrne over the dreadful brisebois.....along wiht me
But thankfully, the team is run by professionals and not the people here that illustrate on a game in and game out basis that their knowledge of the game, coaching systems and strategies to combat other coaching systems is minimal at best.

I'll take Guy Carbonneau's picks to ice a lineup over anybody that posts here and I don't have to hesitate to answer.

These message boards were literally full of praise for the play of Ryan O'Byrne this seasons despite the fact he was struggling each game. There's a large consensus of people here that simply "decide" they like a player or for that matter "decide" they dislike a player and once that's done, amazingly, actual on-ice play no longer factors into their thoughts.

Case in point - Brisebois in last years playoffs or O'Byrne this year to start the season. In both cases I was amazed to find people commenting on their play in the games as if they'd not just watched the game I saw. (And, seemingly, Guy Carbonneau saw.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
call me crazy but i was very impressed with alex henry in preseason and would like for him to get a chance....he may not do wel but right now i think i would prefer him over obyrne and defs breezer
You're crazy.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-26-2008 at 12:19 PM.
FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:55 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I don't know, but I was quite impressed with how onice was able to fit him in.
I know. Just when you think, ho hum, Breezer had a lousy game, yeah, I think he sees more ice than he should but when Bouillon was down, no big deal, so these things work themselves out, so I think I'll see the usual putdowns, and here we are, Onice works William Shatner into it.

Does he really walk around with a ringing sound on his ears ?

Old
10-26-2008, 11:58 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
You're crazy.
I dont know why but this made me LOL

Old
10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I know. Just when you think, ho hum, Breezer had a lousy game, yeah, I think he sees more ice than he should but when Bouillon was down, no big deal, so these things work themselves out, so I think I'll see the usual putdowns, and here we are, Onice works William Shatner into it.

Does he really walk around with a ringing sound on his ears ?
I don't want to take this too far OT. But I had no idea before onice pointed it out earlier.

Old
10-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
I dont know why but this made me LOL
Maybe you thought it was funny? Anyways, Breezy is the only guy on this team that literally makes me cringe when he has the puck. The unwaivering faith I have in Price can be matched on an opposite scale with my unwaivering fear of Brisebois

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
But thankfully, the team is run by professionals and not the people here that illustrate on a game in and game out basis that their knowledge of the game, coaching systems and strategies to combat other coaching systems is minimal at best.

I'll take Guy Carbonneau's picks to ice a lineup over anybody that posts here and I don't have to hesitate to answer.

These message boards were literally full of praise for the play of Ryan O'Byrne this seasons despite the fact he was struggling each game. There's a large consensus of people here that simply "decide" they like a player or for that matter "decide" they dislike a player and wonce that's done, amazingly, actual on-ice play no longer factors into their thoughts.

Case in point - Brisebois in last years playoffs or O'Byrne this year to start the season. In both cases I was amazed to find people commenting on their play in the games as if they'd not just watched the game I saw. (And, seemingly, Guy Carbonneau saw.)
I don't quite see Brisebois as Traverse like, not even close. The sampling is too small here. Yeah, they lost, he had a poor game, but over time, O'Bryne should improve and will play more, there'll be guys dinged up, Brisebois doesn't hold up well over time and these things work thenselves out.

He's not as bad as we make out, but he has games that reiterate the negative stereotype, and last night wasn't one of his best.

Last night's game was hardly a statement of 'this is our team,' moreso just how the team eveolves.

Onice's point about O'bryne having room to grow and Brisbois not only having reached his ceiling but maybe having banged his head on it is obvious, but valid. It's just a matter of how they bring the young guy along. It's difficult to judge, you contend that O'b doesn't seem to be with the program, maybe so, maybe last night was simply a message.

Old
10-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Not The One

Bouc émissaire
Quote:
Locution nominale
bouc émissaire, masculin

(Religion) Bouc que l’on chassait dans le désert, après l’avoir chargé des malédictions qu’on voulait détourner du peuple.

(Familier) (Figuré) Personne sur laquelle on fait retomber les torts des autres, victime expiatoire.
Ils l’ont pris pour leur bouc émissaire.
Jeeeeeeeeezus, Brisebois was on the ice for the first and second ducks goals, and for the habs' second and fourth goals. He was hardly the deciding factor for the game.

Not The One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:05 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Maybe you thought it was funny? Anyways, Breezy is the only guy on this team that literally makes me cringe when he has the puck. The unwaivering faith I have in Price can be matched on an opposite scale with my unwaivering fear of Brisebois
Very clever...

Yeah Brisebois is definitely hurting out there...but he's our 6th Dman. I certainly don't expect perfection.

I think Brisebois is most effective when he keeps things simple. And unlike last year, he's trying to be a bit too cutsey-pooh

Old
10-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Nobak

Quote:
These message boards were literally full of praise for the play of Ryan O'Byrne this seasons despite the fact he was struggling each game. There's a large consensus of people here that simply "decide" they like a player or for that matter "decide" they dislike a player and wonce that's done, amazingly, actual on-ice play no longer factors into their thoughts.
This is the part I'm intrigued about. We have a few people agreeing O'Byrne has sucked. But, although early against Buffalo I was watching him go and cringing, I've found him making quite a few defensive plays I found impressive since, more often than I've noticed bad plays from him.

Maybe it's just the way I watch the game. Maybe the things I tend to focus on turns my attention away from the type of mistake he's been making. But I'd like to know so I can look for it. What is he doing wrong that I'm not seeing?

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:14 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
you contend that O'b doesn't seem to be with the program, maybe so, maybe last night was simply a message.
I think last night was definitely a message.

I suspect that Carbonneau scratched O'Byrne to let him know that on this team, the year, you buy into the system or you sit in the box. It's no longer good enough to hang on. We no longer ice a team where some of the lines need to go out there and simply try not get scored on. We no longer ice defensemen who's job is to simply chip it off the glass and hold on for dear life each shift. The late 90's are over.

The team plays a system that is tailored to the team we have. Speed, skill, deadly transition game.

O'Byrne, however is one of the few guys on the roster to whom that is not tailored. But that doesn't mean he still can't be a valuable contributor to the club. However, he needs to move out of his comfort zone and start making plays. He needs realize that he doesn't have the skating and passing ability of some of the other defensemen so he needs to play smarter, play positionally and make a solid outlet pass. Until he does that, I'm all for him sitting out or going to Hamilton to figure that out.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
I don't cringe when he has the puck. I cringe when he comes onto the ice!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote