HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ossi Vaananen

Old
10-25-2008, 11:04 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Ossi Vaananen

So what does everyone think about the Vaananen pickup? Do you think he will be a good second pairing guy for us? He's been averaging about a little over 20 mins a night. Are you guys alright with that or when Jones and Parent returns do you want less? Do you see us signing him next year if he does well this year? I personally like the guy. I don't hear his name much which means he's pretty much being a sound defender. What do you all think?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:08 PM
mm6492

He has played very well. i did not expect much, which has definitely made it ebtter. He brings nice physical play, can skate fairly well and is an average puck mover. I like the signing alot and think that it will give us a nice steadu d-man.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:26 PM
MountainHawk

Looks like a solid signing to me. I don't notice him too much, and that's perfect for a defenseman like him.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:32 PM
riskyxxbusiness

i was pleasantly surprised to see he had two assists today.

riskyxxbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:42 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
He has 4 points, tied with Kimmo and Coburn.

Thats not too bad

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 11:53 PM
bodangleroo28

He's definitely doing alot better then i thought he would, what does everyone think of eminger so far

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

He's been good, pretty happy with him so far.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:34 AM
ELab2

he's playing around the level of a quality #4, better than I expected. I'm very happy with the deal, and he seems to fit in with the other players really well which is always a good bonus. Sometimes it seems when I guy comes back over from Europe they seem to be more focused on making NHL money and sticking in the league and sometimes don't seem to become such a part of the team, that isn't the case here.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 06:22 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
he's playing around the level of a quality #4, better than I expected. I'm very happy with the deal, and he seems to fit in with the other players really well which is always a good bonus. Sometimes it seems when I guy comes back over from Europe they seem to be more focused on making NHL money and sticking in the league and sometimes don't seem to become such a part of the team, that isn't the case here.
You gotta remember though, that ossi did play 500 games in the NHL before he went to europe to play. So i would presume that helps him out a little on that front

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 06:50 AM
SaveByHexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer6 View Post
He's definitely doing alot better then i thought he would, what does everyone think of eminger so far
Not a fan so far...I would have much rather used the pick we had to take Markstrom or McCollum.

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:42 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByHexy View Post
Not a fan so far...I would have much rather used the pick we had to take Markstrom or McCollum.
Agreed, Eminger is terrible.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer6 View Post
Vaananen has been very solid. Eminger play seems to be improving quite a bit. I think he'll just get better with more playing time. Remember Eminger has never really been a full time NHL player until this year and maybe we're finding out why that is.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:20 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Vaananen has been very solid. Eminger play seems to be improving quite a bit. I think he'll just get better with more playing time. Remember Eminger has never really been a full time NHL player until this year and maybe we're finding out why that is.
Won't hurt Eminger when he eventually isn't paired with Alberts anymore

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:37 AM
mm6492

I am one person here who has actually liked eminger. Right now, he is covering for Alberts all the time. But pair him with a solid d-man and I thinmk he will be pretty good. I still think we overpaid, but he has improved and played his a** off. He hits more then I thought he would and he is very talented

Old
10-26-2008, 10:58 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

hopefully eminger will just get more comfortable, because he doesn't look it so far. definitely be interested to see what goes on when parent and jones come back

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:43 PM
thedjpd

I don't see why everybody's dumping on Eminger.

When Coburn came here he was the same way... making mistakes, messing up, but everybody knew he had the talent, and it would take time. Granted, Coburn had played a lot less games but he was also screwed around with by his former team.

I don't think Eminger has been bad at all. He's had a few gaffes, but I think he's been pretty solid. And he was outstanding his last game. I don't know why everybody expected him to come in here and be a superstar, but I do think he'll grow into his role.

And yes, get him off with Alberts. Alberts has definitely been a disappointment.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Eminger is turning things around already. His first few games were brutal, but his last few have been considerably better.

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Agreed, Eminger is terrible.
Nope. He's been fine and improving every game. Did you not watch the game yesterday? He was very good.

When Jones or Parent are back, get him away from Alberts and he'll be a serviceable third pairing guy for this team.

Old
10-26-2008, 01:11 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Nope. He's been fine and improving every game. Did you not watch the game yesterday? He was very good.

When Jones or Parent are back, get him away from Alberts and he'll be a serviceable third pairing guy for this team.
timmonen-coburn
jones-vananen
parent-eminger

I don't know where SBisa fits in, but I really like that defense

Old
10-26-2008, 01:19 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post

I actually believe he'll be much more than that given consistent icetime.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:57 PM
bodangleroo28

I dont see where sbisa fits either but i also cant see us sending him back, hes been great

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
I actually believe he'll be much more than that given consistent icetime.
I believe he can be more too, but in the right system and if his confidence is kept at a high level. He was a highly touted prospect for a reason - he has the tools.

Old
10-30-2008, 07:50 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
So when is he going to get his contract extension?? Would be nice to lock him up for a few more years at a reasonable contract.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 08:53 PM
ELab2

he continues to be quite excellent in all aspects of the game, no offensive dynamo by any means but his passing has been good and his skating is that of a totally different player than last time he was in the league

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 09:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I can honestly say that I was one of the few on here who really liked the Vaananen signing. I liked him when he played in Phoenix and always felt that his trade to Colorado was the worst thing for him because of the type of game they played. It wasn't a style that Vaananen was suited for playing. He then had a series of injuries and never really let himself heal up from them. The best thing Ossi did was go overseas, play a lighter schedule, and get himself back into game shape and more important, get healthy again. Since he's been in Philadelphia, he's been a rock back there. He plays a simple game and he's one of those guys that if you don't notice him back there, he's doing his job. The defense would be in a lot of trouble if Vaananen weren't here. He's been that good. I'd say he's probably been our second best defender behind Timonen.

As for Eminger, there's been a lot of crap thrown his way, and most of it has been undeservedly so. He didn't play that well the first couple of games, but since then, he's really settled in on the blue line and he's only been getting better and better. I liken it to what others have said about Coburn when he first came here. I know Eminger's a few years older, but he's been Coburn all over again. I'm actually looking forward to the mid season and the final stretch run to really see how Eminger looks. I really do think he's going to be worth the first we gave up to get him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote