HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Laraque vs Parros

Old
10-26-2008, 02:08 PM
JTWymanFan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Several points:

1. There are three major arguments for keeping fighting:
a) tradition - it was always here
b) show - that's what people want to see
c) self policing to prevent cheap shots.

For a) - traditions are known to change and become obsolete (we are ruled by a queen btw.)I won't comment on b).

As for c) - American Football, a sport that I discovered at the same time as hockey, is just as intense, as physical and as fast (probably faster - in bursts). Also, there is more unavoidable physical contact and there is physical intimidation (see those nasty QB sacks) as a legal tactic. And cheap shots aimed to hurt. Yet fighting is severely punished. Also, there are hockey leagues that do not allow fighting yet they do provide a decent show and skilled players.

Laraque is needed in the lineup right now because this is how NHL works. He was decent last night - and there was no need for him to do anything. We were not intimidated in any way by the Ducks - just outplayed and (maybe) outcoached.
Not even close, comparing apples to oranges. Hockey is constant, there is NO other sport that compares.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Not even close, comparing apples to oranges. Hockey is constant, there is NO other sport that compares.
I would say Lacrosse comes the closest IMO.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:24 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I would say Lacrosse comes the closest IMO.
Damn, do you ever go out ?

Old
10-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Football is as fast as hockey?

I've heard it all.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:36 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrychair View Post
Football is as fast as hockey?

I've heard it all.
If you haven't played you DON'T know, it's not their fault.

Old
10-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Damn, do you ever go out ?
lol...I'm leaving soon, I have to catch a flight.

Old
10-26-2008, 02:59 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol...I'm leaving soon, I have to catch a flight.
Have a safe flight bro, it's next Sat. for me off to Florida.

Old
10-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Have a safe flight bro, it's next Sat. for me off to Florida.
Thank you sir you lucky..., lol I mean..you have a great trip as well.

Old
10-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The game changes whether you want it to or not. Just the size and speed of the players has changed the game. Shift length has made what you see different from what we saw 30 years ago. The ability to inflict damage goes up and so will the safety rules.

The potential for serious injury drives things , it has in the past and will again. I'm not sure that I want to take away the player's ability to use fighting as a tactic just yet, but it'll happen at some point. A tough guy, probably in junior will target a non fighter and one time, when an injury occurs, an assault charge will stick and while we cry about how sports should be left alone, something will change. It might not be tomorrow, but it'll inevitably change.
You're playing the doom & gloom part with nothing to show for.

Fighting is a huge part of why I like hockey. It's about passion, it's about character, it's part of what we are about. To me hockey has nothing to do with what happens in Europe and in World Tournament. Whatever snubs journalists from Radio-Canada would say about that. If anything there should be more fighting during Habs games.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Several points:

1. There are three major arguments for keeping fighting:
a) tradition - it was always here
b) show - that's what people want to see
c) self policing to prevent cheap shots.

For a) - traditions are known to change and become obsolete (we are ruled by a queen btw.)I won't comment on b).

As for c) - American Football, a sport that I discovered at the same time as hockey, is just as intense, as physical and as fast (probably faster - in bursts). Also, there is more unavoidable physical contact and there is physical intimidation (see those nasty QB sacks) as a legal tactic. And cheap shots aimed to hurt. Yet fighting is severely punished. Also, there are hockey leagues that do not allow fighting yet they do provide a decent show and skilled players.

Laraque is needed in the lineup right now because this is how NHL works. He was decent last night - and there was no need for him to do anything. We were not intimidated in any way by the Ducks - just outplayed and (maybe) outcoached.
We were dominated on a physical level. That's why some coachs send fighters sometime to change the flow of a game when your team is intimidated. Not Carbo's style.

About your tradition thing when Football, Baseball and Basketball's traditions become obsolete, let me know. Nobody talks about changing THESE sports. Yet people always want to want for hockey to stop the fighting.

And this talks always come from guys that are sports purists. Every debates about getting rid of fighting in hockey always from Football guys or sports journalists that are drowned in American culture(the worst case is this guy that is a boxing maniac but want hockey fights to stop. And he has never watched an entire hockey game his whole life. Could hardly tell you the names of the players). Somehow I have a gut feeling that most people around town are mostly hockey people(while still like to see other sports a few times) and they are fine the way it is.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:36 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
You're playing the doom & gloom part with nothing to show for.

Fighting is a huge part of why I like hockey. It's about passion, it's about character, it's part of what we are about. To me hockey has nothing to do with what happens in Europe and in World Tournament. Whatever snubs journalists from Radio-Canada would say about that. If anything there should be more fighting during Habs games.

Great post Kimo, tu merite un A+. Thats exactly how i feel about my favorite sport. I play, my sons play, and we all have the same passion. It builds character.