HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What's wrong with our second line ?

Old
10-26-2008, 02:09 PM
HotPie

vCash: 500
When Andrei is back all will resume to normal.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Simple, Kovy plays alone, give him 2 grinders and there is no difference...

ZING!

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
When Andrei is back all will resume to normal.
I wish I was so optimistic. The problems started before he was injured.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:31 PM
la25ecoupe

They always shoot the puck in the chest.

And i think they have a hard time coz they always play agains Line 1 of opposite team.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:41 PM
la25ecoupe

Here's my line:

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Andrei - Plekanec - Sergei
Higgins - Lang - Lats
Lapierre - Chipchura - Laraque

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Fire Brunet*

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Slippy13

1 loss in 7 games guys. ONE loss. That line will be fine and the team will be fine.

Slippy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 05:11 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Not really. They played what, a grand total of 4 games before the injury or something?

It's not like the line hasn't been getting their chances. Kovalev got a lot of goal posts and there was a lot of missed opportunities...but they still created those opportunities.

When it's 20 games in the season and that line is still having problems, then I might start worrying a little.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 06:41 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Here's my line:

Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Andrei - Plekanec - Sergei
Higgins - Lang - Lats
Lapierre - Chipchura - Laraque
I would go for:

Higgins Plekanec A.Kostitsyn

Tanguay Koivu Latendresse

S.Kostitsyn Lang Kovalev

Begin\Dandeneault Lapierre Laraque\Kosto

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
First off teams have adjusted.

Secondly the players are not on the same page. They arent making the beautiful and quick passes they did last year.

Thirdly Plekanec has lost his confidence a bit. He is rushing plays and needs to be more calm.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

It's simple.

Kovalev's hair. In 2006-2007 his hair as short and dark, and you see the terrible season he had. In off season he grew his hair and bleached it, and you saw the amazing season he had. He cut his hair again this year.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 07:15 PM
ZARTONK
The Markov effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I would go for:

Higgins Plekanec A.Kostitsyn

Tanguay Koivu Latendresse

S.Kostitsyn Lang Kovalev

Begin\Dandeneault Lapierre Laraque\Kosto
no man... its hard not to realise that Skost and kovy dont go well together... they just dont play the same style.. I wouldnt touch the a kost - plek - kovy line in a million years...

just give them time.. itl all come back to them

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 07:19 PM
ZARTONK
The Markov effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
It's simple.

Kovalev's hair. In 2006-2007 his hair as short and dark, and you see the terrible season he had. In off season he grew his hair and bleached it, and you saw the amazing season he had. He cut his hair again this year.

OMG!!! loool i saw that clip for the first time yesterday... i couldnt stop laughing!!

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 07:23 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I know that during practice I saw the trainers work a couple of times on Kovy's knee although it's probably minor, Plekanec is not having the easiest start to the season and S.Kost seemed a bit deer in headlights ... who knows ... I mean these guys will be fine once they get their mojo going , way too talented for it not to work !

As for Lats Saks and Tangs ... these guys are rippin it up

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:39 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
no man... its hard not to realise that Skost and kovy dont go well together... they just dont play the same style.. I wouldnt touch the a kost - plek - kovy line in a million years...

just give them time.. itl all come back to them
Sergei and Lang play great togheter, I guess its worth a try with Kovy at RW..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

this is not the first time plekanec has had a slow start to the season. He'll be fine. The whole line will be fine. Kovalev has hit more goalposts than he has points, but he'll get his share of bounces too.

Patience.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Captain Saku

so it's the "2nd line" now?

some people would have even considered the koivu line as the "3rd line" before season starts

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:25 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
Thirdly Plekanec has lost his confidence a bit. He is rushing plays and needs to be more calm.
yeah, I thought that was pretty obvious too, just squeezing his stick to tight, you can just see that non-confident energy coming off of him, a few more points and I think he gets it back, he's trying to hard, maybe over-thinking everything.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Bretvincent

i think the pleks line will be fine. Its just a matter of confidence for them. As soon as they get one, it will start rolling just look at the Getzlaf-Perry-Kunitz line, they were in a huge slump but they got a couple of goals and now they're line is rolling. I believe the same will happen with the pleks line.

Bretvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Problems is a big word.
That line played 5Games together, they didn't have a cannon start like last year because obviously teams are a lot more serious/prepared when they face us.
They're also conscious that Plek/Kovy/AK was our best line last season.

I think the fact the habs changed the PP, and put Kovy on left side instead of right is making it harder. Last season they got half their pts on PP, that helps a lot for their confidence and to get started.

With Andrei now injured, they are struggling a bit more, S.Kost doesn't seem to be very effective there either, maybe Higgins will have a shot and do better.

But I wouldn't call it a problem just yet.

And let's be honest, if Halak doesn't give up 4Goals in 16shots, it's a whole new game Saturday and we'd might still be undefeated.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
I know that during practice I saw the trainers work a couple of times on Kovy's knee although it's probably minor
Do you know if it's the same knee as the one he has had problems with in the past? During his time on the sidelines in 05-06 when he needed surgery, I remember a quote from him saying that every 4 years or so, it would require some maintenance surgery. It's pretty much three years since he had that op, so I wouldn't be surprised that it is causing some problems for him, if it's the same knee. Hopefully he can get through the season without too much trouble from it.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Andy

The problem is Kovalev is a puck hog, will rarely pass it unless he knows he can't make a play, but by that time he usually loses it, he just runs up and down the half boards trying to deke players. Since Kovalev is usually in possession of the puck, Plekanec, since he normally doesn't get the puck, will try to either hold it for as long as possible or shoot directly on net.

I said this before Andrei got hurt that niether Kovalev, nor Plekanec was passing to Andrei, and that he rarely touched the puck because of the other two.

Kovalev has to realize that the line wasn't great because of him, it was great because the three were playing together!

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:50 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
The problem is Kovalev is a puck hog, will rarely pass it unless he knows he can't make a play, but by that time he usually loses it, he just runs up and down the half boards trying to deke players. Since Kovalev is usually in possession of the puck, Plekanec, since he normally doesn't get the puck, will try to either hold it for as long as possible or shoot directly on net.

I said this before Andrei got hurt that niether Kovalev, nor Plekanec was passing to Andrei, and that he rarely touched the puck because of the other two.

Kovalev has to realize that the line wasn't great because of him, it was great because the three were playing together!
7 games into a season and rabid fans are already throwing in the towel on our first line and running down the best player on our team last year. Kovy looked like a real hog driving the net and passing right to Tanguay's stick for one of the easiest goals he's scored in a while. These generalizations that Pleks and Kovy are playing for themselves and a contract are stupid. Sure they want to score but an assist is just as good in this town when you win. In the end point production is what gets you big contracts not number of goals. I seriously doubt they do not give AKost the puck as much as they did last season.

For all the moves Kovy tries most succeed and very few actually become turnovers. People are so afraid they'll see Kovy of 2006-2007 that they immediately flip if he doesn't score every other game. They forget all the good things he does in every game and the fact that he's placed on PK and PP duty by Carbo. Carbo said the line is getting chances and are working and it will come.

Kovy and Pleks had a good game saturday as did the team but poor goaltending did us in. Halak let in 4 on 12 shots before being replaced. When was the last time you saw the Habs with 52 shots in a game?

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
Plekanec looked like jason blake last night. shooting from everywhere regardless of whether there was a decent opportunity to score. Thats not how the second line scored goals last year. It was through crafty play and skilled passing to present good scoring opportunities. I'd rather they take 4 good shots than 20 crappy ones....
Well incase you didn't notice the line is struggling, its going to take some ugly plays/non crafty goals to get going, im sure a coach has told him this thats why he took so many shots, we should be happy he is giving the effort he is.

The crafty pretty goals have not been working so far its time to try something different.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
7 games into a season and rabid fans are already throwing in the towel on our first line and running down the best player on our team last year. Kovy looked like a real hog driving the net and passing right to Tanguay's stick for one of the easiest goals he's scored in a while. These generalizations that Pleks and Kovy are playing for themselves and a contract are stupid. Sure they want to score but an assist is just as good in this town when you win. In the end point production is what gets you big contracts not number of goals. I seriously doubt they do not give AKost the puck as much as they did last season.

For all the moves Kovy tries most succeed and very few actually become turnovers. People are so afraid they'll see Kovy of 2006-2007 that they immediately flip if he doesn't score every other game. They forget all the good things he does in every game and the fact that he's placed on PK and PP duty by Carbo. Carbo said the line is getting chances and are working and it will come.

Kovy and Pleks had a good game saturday as did the team but poor goaltending did us in. Halak let in 4 on 12 shots before being replaced. When was the last time you saw the Habs with 52 shots in a game?
First of all, I not getting mad with anything right now, the question of the thread was why isn't the second line working and I gave you an answer, yes I realize that it's 7games into the season and I'm making an observation.

Second, I'm not denying that Kovalev can't pass or that he doesn't pass at all, I am aware that he can, but right now from game 1 till now, Kovalev is not using his line mates properly and the Tanguay goal showed that if he would pass the puck a little more often, like he did last year, the line would click again.

Third, they are not generalizations, they are observations and pretty obvious ones, why you are getting mad I have no idea. No one is denying Kovalev's skills or what he contributes to the team, right now he is trying to do everything by himself which is not one of the reasons why the line was so successful last year, they were successful because of their tape to tape cross ice passes that drove the defense inside out, now all that's happing is Kovalev entering the zone trying to deke 2-4 ppl and is losing the puck.

Lastly, where does Halak come into the arguement and 52 shots? That's totally irrlevant, we are talking about Andrei, Plekanec and Kovalev.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote