HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs offered Big Bird/Lapperiere Jobs + Rafalski

Old
10-26-2008, 05:56 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

vCash: 500
Rafalski is good but if salary is a factor :

Markov @ 5.7 + Hammer @ 5.5 >>>>>> Rafalski @ 7.5.

And for those who dish Big Bird : Let's have a little more respect for one of the greatest D of all time and a man who helped us win cups. The guy just doesn't want to be here so let's just respect his choices instead of calling him a buffon or whatever. Some of you don't seem to have any recognition for those who helped to build the Habs dynasty.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 06:52 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BintZ View Post
Good for Rafalski to take a $1.5M/year pay-cut to play for his home state team. Funny how Briere wouldn't take more then he was worth to play for his...

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't like what I've been reading in this thread about Robinson and Lamoriello. It reflects very badly on the flags the offenders display in their avatars. I hope it expires pretty soon.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

It's Everson so I doubt any of it is true, but I'll comment anyways. I just wish I could drop acid and write about hockey for a living too...

I don't think Larry wanted to coach again after stepping down in 05-06, but I'm guessing he did it to help Sutter get acclimated behind the bench...or maybe spy on him for Lou, who knows.

Anyways, he's taken a more limited role now, spending his time between Lowell and Trenton to work with some prospects. He said that he wanted to spend some more time with his wife. She used to hang out with Jacques Caron's wife Marjorie a lot during the season, but since she passed away, I guess she's been lonely or something.

As for Laperriere, he looks so old and frail these days, I'm sure he's content with doing odd jobs for Lou and collecting a paycheck. I don't think either of them want to move and get a new gig and this point in their lives. They're just comfortable in NJ so you guys shouldn't take it personally.

BTW, if you guys want to take Johnny MacLean, he's all yours.

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Well things have changed a lot in the last two weeks:
1 USD = 1.2735 CAD.
AFAIK all players are played in USD anyway.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
Well things have changed a lot in the last two weeks:
1 USD = 1.2735 CAD.
Every player in the NHL is paid in US $.... the exchange rate has no effect on how much a player makes.

Infact a drop in the Canadian Dollar is good for a player.... cause he still gets paid the same amount of US$ but his expenses: food, rent, car, partying in montreal, etc is all in canadian dollars... so his salary goes farther.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-27-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The real news is....are the Habs really looking or looked to bring a coach for d-men, like tons of people in here keep saying we don't need?
Yep. Jean Perron has been ringing that bell for a long time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape Clutch View Post
Shoulda never retired his Jersey...

Who gets their Jersey retired by the Habs and doesn't come home

we can't retire the jerseys of people who slap us in the face c'mon

this isn't the Leafs her Larry!
So...how come so much hate for Robinson and none for Laperriere?

WHY?

Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-27-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:18 PM
oli500

Would of been a big mistake because it would of tied us up big time. Only super star players like ovechkin,crosby,malkin deserve or his worth that kind of money. I don't care how good rafalski is he is not even worth 5 mill a season.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Yep. Jean Perron has been ringing that bell for a long time now.

So...how come so much hate for Robinson and none for Laperriere?

WHY?
To me, criticizing Robinson is akin to taking a shot at Beliveau. I think Larry is one of the good guys around the game, near the top of my list with Le Gros Bill, Gainey and some others.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
To me, criticizing Robinson is akin to taking a shot at Beliveau. I think Larry is one of the good guys around the game, near the top of my list with Le Gros Bill, Gainey and some others.
What of the free pass from the haters for Laperriere?

Honestly, I have had a beef with this guy since his kid and I played on the same team from pee wee to midget.

The fact that all that "boo hoo Larry works for NJ" stuff made me sick to my stomach too. (He was definitely my favorite player growing up.) No one seems to care that Laperriere worked for Boston and NJ, and if we are going to start to care whom ex-players have worked for....Maurice Richard worked for the Unholy.... the Nordiques....

That does not make any of these guys less of a Hab to me. But it does to some.

Last edited by Joe Cole: 10-27-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
I remember reading a while back that Gainey & Carbonneau asked Robinson to work in Montreal as an assistant, but they were turned down; the job eventually went to Kirk Muller. Robinson was their first choice for the job since he had quite a bit of coaching experience, as both a head coach and assistant coach, especially when compared to Muller.

I also recall Robinson "resigning" or taking a leave of absence from the Devils, when he was their head coach. That happened back in December of 2005. I can't find the exact article, but here's a reference to a TSN article about the event:

http://www.hockeyforum.com/new-jerse...ead-coach.html

It seemed as though Robinson could not handle the stress of the job, and left rather than risk his health. In the past I recall reading that Robinson loved the role of an assistant coach, especially working with younger defencemen. It's tough to understand why he couldn't handle the stress of coaching, particularly when he played a lot of stressful games as a Hab, and was looked at as a leader on the club.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
What of the free pass from the haters for Laperriere?

Honestly, I have had a beef with this guy since his kid and I played on the same team from pee wee to midget.

The fact that all that "boo hoo Larry works for NJ" stuff made me sick to my stomach too. (He was definitely my favorite player growing up.) No one seems to care that Laperriere worked for Boston and NJ, and if we are going to start to care whom ex-players have worked for....Maurice Richard worked for the Unholy.... the Nordiques....

That does not make any of these guys less of a Hab to me. But it does to some.
I don't care a whole lot, if anyone's up in arms because Robinson chose to stay in the employ of people that he's formed a relationship with, well, consider the source.

Lapierriere left the team when Corey decided to remake the team in his own image didn't he ? He worked thru Burns to Demers I believe. I think that people don't speak about him a whole lot because there isn't much of a connection to him from his playing days.

His son played some jr A, if I remember correctly, was his name Daniel ?

Old
10-28-2008, 04:37 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
I don't care a whole lot, if anyone's up in arms because Robinson chose to stay in the employ of people that he's formed a relationship with, well, consider the source.

Lapierriere left the team when Corey decided to remake the team in his own image didn't he ? He worked thru Burns to Demers I believe. I think that people don't speak about him a whole lot because there isn't much of a connection to him from his playing days.

I just think it unholy for a player who has his Jersey retired by the habs to be working for any organisation other then the habs

It's just wrong...

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 05:05 PM
tinyzombies

The Robinson thing started when the Canadiens cut him loose after 1989, one year short of the million dollar bonuses they were handing out then for 15(?) year Habs vets. He was still playing decent hockey and thought they were just short-changing him, especially since it was Serge Savard who was GM (his old D partner).

He refused to have his jersey retired over the years unless they gave him his money.

That's the story I've heard anyway.

Obviously they've buried the hatchet since. I don't think that was a factor in his decision.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Go Habs Go

Whatever, it would've been nice but oh well..

Their loss if its true.

Doesn't change the fact that I still love Robinson and have a ton of respect for Laperriere.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
7.5M is a ******** of $ for a D-man... *looks at Campbell*

Nevermind...
You made me laugh.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
That's the guy. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=2956

Old
10-29-2008, 04:44 PM
STAALing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
Rafalski is good but if salary is a factor :

Markov @ 5.7 + Hammer @ 5.5 >>>>>> Rafalski @ 7.5.

And for those who dish Big Bird : Let's have a little more respect for one of the greatest D of all time and a man who helped us win cups. The guy just doesn't want to be here so let's just respect his choices instead of calling him a buffon or whatever. Some of you don't seem to have any recognition for those who helped to build the Habs dynasty.
What does Markov have to do in that equation ?

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:11 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
After reading the first page, I was all ready to launch into a rant defending Robinson, but this is exactly what I was going to say, except stated more concisely and eloquently than I would have.

You're like the Yoda of the Habs board, mcphee.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alzner and Doughty View Post
What does Markov have to do in that equation ?
Cause Rafalski, Markov, Souray and Hamrlik were all UFAs in the same offseason

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
thanks, now I remember him. I doubt that I ever saw him, I just knew JL had a son playing, I think i vaguely knew he was in the St.L. system. I had Serge Savard's son in mind who I think I might've seen in junior, who wasn't very good.