HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Jordan Staal Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2008, 10:47 AM
SufferingCatFan

vCash: 500
The Penguins suffer from an overabudance of riches at center. It makes no sense to resign Staal for $4mm plus to play 3rd line center so the sensible thing to do is to trade him. The challenge is that Pittsburgh has almost no cap room.

The trade that I would propose is J-Bo, and Krepps (solid, cheap, young 3rd line center) for Staal, Letang and Sydor (unwanted, throw in to balance cap impact). This allows the Penguins to go for the cup this season by adding a true, No. 1 puck moving D-man, who will play 26 minutes plus and solve the transition from defense to offense problem, as well as acquiring a 3rd line center replacement. It allows the Panthers to build for the future by acquiring the big, two center they need.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
The Penguins suffer from an overabudance of riches at center. It makes no sense to resign Staal for $4mm plus to play 3rd line center so the sensible thing to do is to trade him. The challenge is that Pittsburgh has almost no cap room.

The trade that I would propose is J-Bo, and Krepps (solid, cheap, young 3rd line center) for Staal, Letang and Sydor (unwanted, throw in to balance cap impact). This allows the Penguins to go for the cup this season by adding a true, No. 1 puck moving D-man, who will play 26 minutes plus and solve the transition from defense to offense problem, as well as acquiring a 3rd line center replacement. It allows the Panthers to build for the future by acquiring the big, two center they need.
As much as I'd ****ing love to see JBo in a Pens uniform, I don't know if Shero would bite after He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named and the UFA to be fiasco this summer. Again, just to reinforce my view, I would rather Staal not be moved at all before we see what he's truly capable of (meaning keep him around for at least a few years), but there are rumblings of him being really unhappy with his current situation in Pittsburgh as the 3rd line-shutdown center. I don't know how true those rumors ring, but if they're true, they're probably a pretty big issue for it to have been leaked. That being said, I would hope--for the good of Staal and the team--Shero would be able to package him and some other assets to a team where he'd be allowed to grow and show what he's really capable of. Oh yeah, and getting JBo in return would be awesome, hehe.

Long-story-short, I don't think Staal will be a Penguin after this season, barring some kind of revelation in Staal's mind as far as his salary cap value, seeing as how his agent is asking ~5mil a year.

Old
10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:

We have 3 centers that are capable of playing the 3rd line, well...

Talbot, Kennedy, & Zigomanis

If we needeed anything, its wingers. Most on this board have had their eveys on 2 wingers in particular. Horton & Booth

I think that the trade would have to revolve one of those 2 players rather than J-Bo.... unless its a package involving both one of those wingers and J-Bo, I don't see Shero doing anything. Problem is, we don't even have the cap space to aquire both if we wanted. Lastly, we have an over-abundance of Dmen once Whitney and Gonchar come back so a trade revolving just JBo and a throw-in is mute..

Old
10-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:

Nice try, sneaking Letang in there.

He'll be better than J-Bo - you heard it here first. Suck it, SRH.

Old
10-26-2008, 03:27 PM
benefactor*

Quote:

When healthy, that is far from our problem.

Old
10-26-2008, 04:19 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Horton would look amazing next to Sid !!!

Once Whitney returns, I wish Shero would do swap like Horton + Booth for Staal + GoGo... I can only dream.

Old
10-26-2008, 04:35 PM
66-29-33

What about something like Whitney, Letang, Staal, and Sydor for a sign and trade Bouwmeester, Horton, and whatever else?

We would have Gonchar, Bouwmeester, and Goligoski, then once Gonchars gone we have Bouwmeester, and Goligoski. All we really need is 2 offensive defensemen anyway. Bouwmeester will be about 6M for 5 years, and Horton 4M for ??? years.

Bouwmeester-Orpik
Eaton-Scuderi
Goligoski-Gill

Then for the playoffs

Bouwmeester-Orpik
Gonchar-Scuderi
Eaton-Gill
Goligoski

Last edited by 66-29-33: 10-26-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old
10-26-2008, 05:09 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
What about something like Whitney, Letang, Staal, and Sydor for a sign and trade Bouwmeester, Horton, and whatever else?

We would have Gonchar, Bouwmeester, and Goligoski, then once Gonchars gone we have Bouwmeester, and Goligoski. All we really need is 2 offensive defensemen anyway. Bouwmeester will be about 6M for 5 years, and Horton 4M for ??? years.

Bouwmeester-Orpik
Eaton-Scuderi
Goligoski-Gill

Then for the playoffs

Bouwmeester-Orpik
Gonchar-Scuderi
Eaton-Gill
Goligoski
I don't know if that necessarily makes the team better though. It seems like you are doing a lot of disrupting to be in the same spot. Just my opinion.

Old
10-26-2008, 05:36 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I don't know if that necessarily makes the team better though. It seems like you are doing a lot of disrupting to be in the same spot. Just my opinion.
You're right but i think that Horton and booth can really help, though. They'd definitely improve the forwards for now and the future.

As for J-Bo, his salary demands might come back to haunt us as long as we have Whitney on our books. We can' have 3 PP quarterbacks taking up so much of our cap-space, not including Letang's pay-raise next year.

Old
10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
You're right but i think that Horton and booth can really help, though. They'd definitely improve the forwards for now and the future.

As for J-Bo, his salary demands might come back to haunt us as long as we have Whitney on our books. We can' have 3 PP quarterbacks taking up so much of our cap-space, not including Letang's pay-raise next year.
In the scenario above Whitney was going to Florida.

Old
10-26-2008, 08:34 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
In the scenario above Whitney was going to Florida.
Although many may regard J-bo better than Whitney, you have to consider the fact that Ryan is signed to a long cap-friendly contract whereas it remains to be seen with JBo. It might be best to keep Ryan since JBo will probably demand a very hefty contract. Considering that the pens will be at the top of the cap, if they intentd to keep the team competitive and the team intact, Whitney may be the better option.

Therefore, it's probably best to avoid swapping JBo for Whitney in any type of proposals.

Old
10-26-2008, 09:07 PM
tooocoool

How about Lucic ? that guy seems pretty good: same size as Staal, physical play...

Old
10-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
He'll be better than J-Bo - you heard it here first. Suck it, SRH.
Oh no you din't.

And to be serious for a moment here, you know damn well as I do that Letang has a long way to go. JayBo is a true #1 defenseman, on any team anywhere, at 23. His development is textbook example of how to nurture a young talented top pairing 2-way defender - by focusing on the defense part first before getting to offense. We all know JayBo has natural offensive talent, it was his defense that needed work.

So that was what he and Florida did. In his first 5 seasons JayBo worked on his defense at the expense of his offense. The guy is fantastic positionally and is remarkably defensively aware. Add those to his ridiculous skating and passing and that's a young Niedermeyer there.

Letang may very well get there someday. But I say it's unlikely. You heard it here first, docto.

Old
10-26-2008, 10:17 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Reverse Homer View Post
Oh no you din't.

And to be serious for a moment here, you know damn well as I do that Letang has a long way to go. JayBo is a true #1 defenseman, on any team anywhere, at 23. His development is textbook example of how to nurture a young talented top pairing 2-way defender - by focusing on the defense part first before getting to offense. We all know JayBo has natural offensive talent, it was his defense that needed work.

So that was what he and Florida did. In his first 5 seasons JayBo worked on his defense at the expense of his offense. The guy is fantastic positionally and is remarkably defensively aware. Add those to his ridiculous skating and passing and that's a young Niedermeyer there.

Letang may very well get there someday. But I say it's unlikely. You heard it here first, docto.
Therefore, how much do you expect him to get on PayDay?

Old
10-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Super Reverse Homer

Send a message via AIM to Super Reverse Homer Send a message via MSN to Super Reverse Homer
Quote:
Therefore, how much do you expect him to get on PayDay?
Lots. And rightfully so.

But of course, every good young player in the NHL takes paycuts just to play with Sid.

So...600K a year for 7 years?

Old
10-26-2008, 10:31 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Lots. And rightfully so.

But of course, every good young player in the NHL takes paycuts just to play with Sid.

So...600K a year for 7 years?
If we drug him up, maybe he will.... but his butt might hurt for a couple of days.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
JTG

Quote:
Although many may regard J-bo better than Whitney, you have to consider the fact that Ryan is signed to a long cap-friendly contract whereas it remains to be seen with JBo. It might be best to keep Ryan since JBo will probably demand a very hefty contract. Considering that the pens will be at the top of the cap, if they intentd to keep the team competitive and the team intact, Whitney may be the better option.

Therefore, it's probably best to avoid swapping JBo for Whitney in any type of proposals.
Never said it was a good idea. I was just saying, if you are going by the scenario stated above, Whitney's contract isn't on the Pens payroll.

I am also of the camp of people who believes that Whitney should be here long term.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:42 PM
wej20

JBo is all well and good but surely Wingers are more of a priority than offensive dmen even if they are as otherwordly(SRH) as Jbo.

Old
10-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Crosberry87

There is no need for Bouwmeester. The defense has held its own so far and will get better when Gonchar and Whitney come back. Gonchar is an elite defenseman anyways. By the way, I think Goligoski is going to be better than Letang. So I;d rather see Letang traded if there was a choice.

BUT...we can keep Letang at a rookie contract for another season after this one so he is valuable, and I definately do not want to trade Goligoski (the next Gonchar ). Gonchar and Whitney are the highest paid defensemen on the team so one of them would have to go to make cap room (especially in trading for Bouwmeester).

Talbot, Zigomanis, Kennedy are great 3rd/4th line centers.

We need wingers.

Old
10-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
JBo is all well and good but surely Wingers are more of a priority than offensive dmen even if they are as otherwordly(SRH) as Jbo.
JayBo is ANYTHING BUT an offensive defenseman.

He is a true #1 2-way defenseman. And he moonlights as Zeus in Greek mythology.

Old
10-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Snooki Stackhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
There is no need for Bouwmeester. The defense has held its own so far and will get better when Gonchar and Whitney come back. Gonchar is an elite defenseman anyways. By the way, I think Goligoski is going to be better than Letang. So I;d rather see Letang traded if there was a choice.

BUT...we can keep Letang at a rookie contract for another season after this one so he is valuable, and I definately do not want to trade Goligoski (the next Gonchar ). Gonchar and Whitney are the highest paid defensemen on the team so one of them would have to go to make cap room (especially in trading for Bouwmeester).

Talbot, Zigomanis, Kennedy are great 3rd/4th line centers.

We need wingers.
I don't really agree with this, and it's not just you that has said something along those lines. Goligoski is playing VERY well right now, surprisingly well. Both Goligoski and Letang have very high upsides, but even with the extra year in the NHL, Letang is still younger and still pretty raw. Kris went from the Qmjhl almost directly to the NHL, while Goligoski went from the USHL to the NCAA to WBS and finally to the NHL. The main concern with Goligoski has been his size, but the experience is there. He took a slower route to the NHL than Letang, so the reason for his play that perhaps eclipses that of Letang so far in '08-'09 might not have much to do with pure talent level.

Old
10-27-2008, 12:40 AM
wej20

Quote:
JayBo is ANYTHING BUT an offensive defenseman.

He is a true #1 2-way defenseman. And he moonlights as Zeus in Greek mythology.
Ryan Whitney is a 2-way defenseman but unfortunately not in the hockey sense

Old
10-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Ryan Whitney is a 2-way defenseman but unfortunately not in the hockey sense
In his own zone Whitney is more of a "have it your way" defenseman.

Old
10-27-2008, 12:51 AM
wej20

Could have used him to beat down on Redden against the Rangers though

Old
10-27-2008, 01:04 AM
Super Reverse Homer

Quote:
Could have used him to beat down on Redden against the Rangers though

One of the best moments from last year's playoffs. Hands down.

Closed Thread