HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Speculation: Habs may have interest in Havlat?

Old
10-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
The Jay McKee from 2005 or 2006 was awesome. The Jay McKee from 2007 and 2008, not so much.

Injuries have really caught up to McKee, he's no where near the player he was just a few years ago.
Thanks for that, that's what I feared. So no McKee for the HABS.
Would have loved acquiring the 2005-2006 McKee!! Nothing but a memory now...

I hope the same doesn't happen to guys like Volchenkov and Komisarek (same style as the 2005-2006 McKee). But Volchenkov and McKee haven't reached their peaks, yet, like McKee has.

Besides Bouwmeester, and, if McKee is OFF that list who is on the list of D-men Gainey can acquire before the TRADE DEADLINE? (I know we have time but just wondering!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Thanks for that, that's what I feared. So no McKee for the HABS.
Would have loved acquiring the 2005-2006 McKee!! Nothing but a memory now...

I hope the same doesn't happen to guys like Volchenkov and Komisarek (same style as the 2005-2006 McKee). But Volchenkov and McKee haven't reached their peaks, yet, like McKee has.

Besides Bouwmeester, and, if McKee is OFF that list who is on the list of D-men Gainey can acquire before the TRADE DEADLINE? (I know we have time but just wondering!).
Well for a deadline deal, I would really like to see us acquire Schneider. His cost won't be high, he's a UFA at the end of the season. Plus he brings plenty of experience and can even help out on the PP.

He doesn't have the defensive shutdown skills you might want. But partnered with Hamrlik, I think he would give us a great top 4.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:52 PM
le_sean

I'd love to get Havlat. The thing is he will be much cheaper than Gaborik and IMO is almost just as skilled, just hurt more often. His playoff stats are very good and he was probably the most dangerous Senators player during those times. I'd definitely take a chance on him come the deadline if he is available. He can honestly score 40-50 on the Habs open system, healthy. Having a RW punch of Kovalev and Havlat is scary.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Well for a deadline deal, I would really like to see us acquire Schneider. His cost won't be high, he's a UFA at the end of the season. Plus he brings plenty of experience and can even help out on the PP.

He doesn't have the defensive shutdown skills you might want. But partnered with Hamrlik, I think he would give us a great top 4.
well ,imo, Schneider will cost alot more then what atlanta payed for him at the start of the year, since most of his 5.5 mil salary wil be eating up and our needs will become much more obvious around march

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'd love to get Havlat. The thing is he will be much cheaper than Gaborik and IMO is almost just as skilled, just hurt more often. His playoff stats are very good and he was probably the most dangerous Senators player during those times. I'd definitely take a chance on him come the deadline if he is available. He can honestly score 40-50 on the Habs open system, healthy. Having a RW punch of Kovalev and Havlat is scary.
Me too, but we have too many wingers, and losing Higgins is not worth it, i don't think he would cost more then a 3rd round pick though, he's been injured way too many times for his value tlo be equal to his talent

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-25-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 05:06 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I just don't see why all these rumors that the Habs are looking to add a forward, or even a player at this point in time. The team is having a great start and no need to mess with chemistry.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Guillemin

I think Havlat would play much better on a second line, reduced ice time role, with lots of PP time and very little hard play in the corners. I don't think he's a good fit here because of our depth on the wings, but I think he's been misused in Chicago which has contributed to his injuries.

If he gets dealt at the deadline, I'd expect some good play and lots of games down the stretch.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
well ,imo, Schneider will cost alot more then what atlanta payed for him at the start of the year, since most of his 5.5 mil salary wil be eating up and our needs will become much more obvious around march
I agree, but I still think he might be cheaper than some of the other big name D's that might be available at the deadline.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
chitownhabsfan

Please consider this line of thinking...

It is agreed that Les Habs need a better 4th D man given they have Bou, Breezer and Dandy as defenceman and O'Byrne in a learning mode.

However, if you are BG and find you are unable to obtain a better d-man than what you currently have, then you turn your attention to obtaining another certified goal scorer to compensate for the lack of effectness on defense.

Of course, for the Havlat rumour, this would be at the Trade Deadline and if the Hawks are not in the playoffs since his contract expires at the end of this season.

As a GM, you have to be thinking about a variety of scenarios that you can broker to improve the team and not only the obvious ones.

In some cases, I believe what has been suggested above is called 'thinking outside the box.'

So, given the rumours thus far, expect this one to die over time and another to show up from a variety of sources and all of them being speculation.

chitownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I am also on the "We-need-a-top-4-dman" bandwagon too.
Any interest in Brent Sopel?

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Any interest in Brent Sopel?
He said "We-need-a-top-4-dman", not an ugly one.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 10:17 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
He said "We-need-a-top-4-dman", not an ugly one.
Who do you got in mind?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Halvat is out of the question. Habs do not have cap space and the only way space could be created would be if a genuine big time star become available a la Gaborik or Sundin.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:02 AM
LastChancePrice

I heard we also have an interest in bringing back Eric Daze and or maybe Adam Deadmarsh.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
oh wait...scratch Bouwmeester...

If the Canucks are out of the playoffs...I want Ohlund!!

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 07:21 AM
axman88

Does anyone remember the rumor when Kovalchuk was going to be drafted Andre Savard tried to push to trade for him but wasn't willing to give up what was wanted....who did atlanta want?

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 07:53 AM
Twister mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
Does anyone remember the rumor when Kovalchuk was going to be drafted Andre Savard tried to push to trade for him but wasn't willing to give up what was wanted....who did atlanta want?
The good Theodore...(I think it was the year he won the Vezina and Hart trophies)

Twister mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
oh wait...scratch Bouwmeester...

If the Canucks are out of the playoffs...I want Ohlund!!
I'm with you here, but Canucks fan syas he won't leave the city...

Renault Lavoie is becoming Eklund 2.0

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
i still think brad stuarts the best option....hes very good...not 2 expensive and a lot easier to get then bouwmeester and kaberle
Brad Stuart is Detroit's Number 4 Dman.... He signed at a discount to stay in Detroit.

Forget about him... he's not available. Detroit isn't trading away a top 4 dman unless they get an overpayment.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote