HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holmgren shopping for "immediate relief"

Old
10-27-2008, 09:57 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol, have faith people. I've been saying ever since we signed biron that he was never a consistent keeper. Yes we rode him in the playoffs. BUT PEOPLE PLEASE! we are no longer in the playoffs! we are in the regular season. He proved last year he is totally inconstistant.
Give me a break.....He had one bad streak last year where Stevens starting playing Nitty.

This team is out in the first round if not for Biron.....talk about fair weather fan.....

I agree this team needs defensive help and trading for a dman is fine, however, I am not sure Barker is the right way to go. We need someone to help NOW. Either a big trade like the Lupul+for Jbo, or a quick fix for a veteran like F Kaberle.

As far as goaltender, if this team makes a panic deal for a goaltender this early, especially when Biron played better this weekend, I will lose complete respect for Holmgren.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
UPSIDE!

Which means at some point in his career I definitely seeing him break 40. And no not just based on these two games but also on what I've seen from him in the past.
Well Downie would score over 30 last season maybe more. When Lupul got injured Downie had no problems replacing him.

Put Nodl with Asham and Cote give him 4 min of ice time per game and you would see the same result. Case closed.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Give me a break.....He had one bad streak last year where Stevens starting playing Nitty.

This team is out in the first round if not for Biron.....talk about fair weather fan.....

I agree this team needs defensive help and trading for a dman is fine, however, I am not sure Barker is the right way to go. We need someone to help NOW. Either a big trade like the Lupul+for Jbo, or a quick fix for a veteran like F Kaberle.

As far as goaltender, if this team makes a panic deal for a goaltender this early, especially when Biron played better this weekend, I will lose complete respect for Holmgren.
Rumours are starting to build up steam that we're shopping for a goalie. It better be for a cheaper back-up option (since Nitty's contract is expiring and will want a raise) because there's no way we can trade Biron and bring in another starter, or trade Nitty and bring in someone more expensive to win the starting job.

I really can't see us making a major goalie move this season.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Edd3987

As unreliable as they usually are, SI's truth and rumors page has an article from the Toronto Sun that suggests we're going for Pavelec from Atlanta or Halak from Montreal.

Edd3987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:52 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
- The Philadelphia Flyers could be in the market for a goaltender as their current tandem of Martin Biron and Antero Niittymaki have struggled. They can't afford Chicago's Nikolai Khabibulin but more affordable options could be Atlanta's Ondrej Pavelec and Montreal's Jaroslav Halak.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Unless the Flyers are willing to part with something worthwhile they probably won't get either guy, as the Thrashers and Habs could hold onto those two as potential trade deadline bait.
http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....cles&Itemid=55

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 11:56 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Rumours are starting to build up steam that we're shopping for a goalie. It better be for a cheaper back-up option (since Nitty's contract is expiring and will want a raise) because there's no way we can trade Biron and bring in another starter, or trade Nitty and bring in someone more expensive to win the starting job.

I really can't see us making a major goalie move this season.
First thing first:
1. Sbisa - going, staying?
2. Better coaching and team effort
3. Play Biron for now.
4. Work with Alberts and Eminger in practice as much as possible.
5. I am hoping Downie gets the call real soon. He must realize that it is his real chance to play now.
6. Schedule for next month is relatively easy even with our injuries. A few tough games Habs, Buffalo, Dallas. Nothing we can not handle.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 10-27-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
First thing first:
1. Sbisa - going, staying?
2. Better coaching and team effort
3. Play Biron for now.
4. Work with Alberts and Eminger in practice as much as possible.
5. I am hoping Downie gets the call real soon. He must realize that it is his real chance to play now.
6. Schedule for next month is relatively easy even with our injuries. A few tough games Habs, Buffalo, Dallas. Nothing we can not handle.

Agree with everything except Biron. Give him the day off vs Atlanta and then play him for a stretch. Sbisa should go down.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
That makes more sense to me than looking for a starter right at this minute. Marty will be fine, but there's nothing wrong with exploring options for the future that could also be decent back-up options this season.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:56 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
That makes more sense to me than looking for a starter right at this minute. Marty will be fine, but there's nothing wrong with exploring options for the future that could also be decent back-up options this season.
Agreed. If we are looking for a future goalie I am fine with that, even if they replace Nitty. I dont want to give up on Biron though. He will come around, just had a rough start.

Old
10-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Mythology

I really think the issue in goal is about next season when both Nitty and Biron are UFA’s. It is probable that they both will want a raise and one or both will not be back. The chance that they can pay a back up over $1 million under the cap next season is remote. They have to be looking at young goalie near the minimum for back up next season. Might as well be a guy with upside, and no reason for them not to be looking now. Biron is going to be a very interesting decision for the Flyers if he has a comparable season to last year. He is going to want top starter money, but is he worth it? He can be streaky.

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:07 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
I really think the issue in goal is about next season when both Nitty and Biron are UFA’s. It is probable that they both will want a raise and one or both will not be back. The chance that they can pay a back up over $1 million under the cap next season is remote. They have to be looking at young goalie near the minimum for back up next season. Might as well be a guy with upside, and no reason for them not to be looking now. Biron is going to be a very interesting decision for the Flyers if he has a comparable season to last year. He is going to want top starter money, but is he worth it? He can be streaky.
How would that be immediate relief??

Old
10-28-2008, 10:35 AM
mista_lordz

Given the contract guys like Huet or Theodore signed last summer, I cant see Biron asking for less than 4/4.5 Millions a year for 3/4 years. The guy is 30, and quite in the same position Huet was last year...
Lupul's contract kicks in this summer and you got Eminger, Upshall, Parent, Downie to resign within the next two years, plus an extra impact defensman to sign during the free agency... The flyers simply cant afford Biron...

And even if it would be nice to add some promising talent like Halak or Pavelec to the depth chart, i cant see these guys as NHL starters next year...

And dont count on trading an established goaltender during the summer... Teams just dont trade theire starters...

So if you really wanna get a Pavelec or Halak-like goalie, sign Legace next summer... Not Biron.

mista_lordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Jester

Biron hasn't played as well as Huet the last couple years.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM
mista_lordz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Doesnt matter... He did well last year, and still got a season ahead to do well...

Old
10-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista_lordz View Post
Doesnt matter... He did well last year, and still got a season ahead to do well...
Erm, it absolutely matters when you're talking about contract numbers...Huet has been a demonstrably better goalie than Biron in this league the last couple of years. Doesn't mean Biron won't get a raise, just means his comparison isn't to someone like Huet.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:07 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Erm, it absolutely matters when you're talking about contract numbers...Huet has been a demonstrably better goalie than Biron in this league the last couple of years. Doesn't mean Biron won't get a raise, just means his comparison isn't to someone like Huet.
Jester, I agree with you on this, but who do you think WOULD be a good comparison for Biron if not Huet??

Old
10-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Jester

Quote:
Jester, I agree with you on this, but who do you think WOULD be a good comparison for Biron if not Huet??
I haven't been following the goalie signings all that closely...but you want someone in the middle of the pack. Huet has carried a .920+ SVPCT the last few years on average (including leading the league one year, no?). I mean, he isn't miles ahead of Biron...but he should be getting paid more than Biron.

Assuming Biron gets back on track here and the Flyers are willing to sign him on for a few more years...I could see him signing for potentially below market just because this seems like a starting gig he can hold for the foreseeable future here. After what happened in Buffalo, I could see that being rather appealing to him.

Old
10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
mista_lordz

Quote:
Assuming Biron gets back on track here and the Flyers are willing to sign him on for a few more years...I could see him signing for potentially below market just because this seems like a starting gig he can hold for the foreseeable future here. After what happened in Buffalo, I could see that being rather appealing to him.
I second that. Thats why i said 4 mil... The guy is currently making 3.5 btw...

Cristobal is making 5.6 mil a year for 4 years... You cant be a bigger Huet fan than i am... He s my countryman and i watched believe it or not almost 80% of the games he played since hes in the league...

But u got to admit, if you take pressures concern aside, that playing in Montreal isnt the toughest spot...
They litteraly owns the puck while Philly plays more of a puck pursuit type of game... Cristobal had less shots in MTL than Biron in PHI. When he moved to WSH... In POs Philly created a lot of traffic in front of him and because of the inexperience of the caps D and his smallish stature his job has been a lot harder...

My point there wasnt to prove that Biron is a better goalie than Huet, because i dont think he s, but to say that stats isnt the only thing that comes in mind when you sign a goaltender...

Edit : Look at a guy like Theodore.
Last year : 53 games 28 wins .910 Save PCT - 4.5/ years for 2 years...

Biron :
Last year : 62 games 30 wins .918 Save PCT...

Its all about supply and demand... And take a look at the pool of FA goalies coming up next summer... it aint that deep

Last edited by mista_lordz: 10-28-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
mikedifr

Why didnt we try claiming someone like Klee off reentry waives?? He obviously isnt what he used to be, but he would be a good stop gap for a month or two, can play on the 3rd pairing, provide some leadership for a guy like Sbisa if he stays and would be a good #7 guy to have in the playoffs. Obviously I would love someone much better, but in my opinion, these are the types of options Homer should be looking at right now.

Old
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Klee looked very poor comming out of the lockout. Pre lockout he was a fantastic defenseman. He would be another vandemeer for us

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 02:23 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Why didnt we try claiming someone like Klee off reentry waives?? He obviously isnt what he used to be, but he would be a good stop gap for a month or two, can play on the 3rd pairing, provide some leadership for a guy like Sbisa if he stays and would be a good #7 guy to have in the playoffs. Obviously I would love someone much better, but in my opinion, these are the types of options Homer should be looking at right now.
We're at the 50 contract limit.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 10:38 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

I think even without the 50 contract limit that Klee is the wrong move... I would much rather wait and see if Hatcher comes back and take my chances with him than Klee. There is a reason Klee is now playing for his third team in a month.

Quellet The Dogs Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:45 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellet The Dogs Out View Post
I think even without the 50 contract limit that Klee is the wrong move... I would much rather wait and see if Hatcher comes back and take my chances with him than Klee. There is a reason Klee is now playing for his third team in a month.
I agree, I rather have Hatcher as well....I am only talking short term while guys are hurt. Its obvious he isnt going to use Kukkonen, so we might as well get someone else in here that can help for a month. Just waive him if we dont need him anymore.

And Klee is just one example, Brett Hedican was out there too

Old
11-01-2008, 03:23 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Honestly, I don't understand why everyone is hung up on this 'stud' goaltender myth that they're the only way a team can win a Stanley Cup. Biron is a perfectly capable goalie of backstopping a team to a Stanley Cup. People need to realize that goaltending is more or less based on not losing the game as compared to having the goaltender win the game for you. Every now and then, you might need your goaltender to steal a win for you, but for the most part, it's just a matter of having your goalie play well enough that they don't lose the game for you.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Huet's play had a lot more to do with the defensive corps he had in Mtl and not so much his actual ability. If he was so good, we would have heard about him in LA. He is a decent goalie, but I wouldn't classify him as better than Biron.. equal at the most.

Haven't heard much about him this year.

2 Cristobal Huet CHI 4 1 2 1 104 11 2.72 93 .894 0 0 0 0 243:03
He played well in the playoffs because he wanted money, like everyone else in their contract yr.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote