HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gilbert our new Poti?

Old
10-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Lessy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
The day that contract was announced the first thing I thought of was Matt Carle.
Good call. I'm so bitter the Wild got Brent Burns locked up at that steal of a contract. If he would have hit RFA he could have got an offer sheet for close to double that.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:49 PM
McTedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakin1 View Post
I've never been a huge fan of Tom Gilbert but I always appreciated his offensive instincts and thought he would soon develop his defensive game.

From what I've seen of him this season, and even a big chunk of the last, he's been turning over pucks a lot in the defensive zone and has been butter soft. I never expected him to dominate physically, but a guy his size should be able to better finish his checks and get dirty sometimes.

I think he's been focusing way too much on his hair and not enough on hockey. When someone polled who's gonna be the whipping boy of the Oilers this year, I voted for Tom Gilbert, especially given his new contract.

Hope he doesn't go down the road that the other Tom did.
Look who he is paired with. Unfortunately for Gilbert he has to be the more stay at home dman. And his partner was directly responsible for 2 goals against last night...I think Grebs and Gilbert make a bad pair, split them up.

McTedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Pure

Give him time and I think he'll rebound. I mean I'm the one who strongly argued against his extension but even I can see that hes just going through a slump right now.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF View Post
I think Gilbert was bad last year as well.

He's scared to take a hit (I know he knocked a Canuck down today). He is about to get hit and he throws a bad pass out (2nd last Canucks game last year).

He needs to toughen up.
That's not his game.

He's had some baaaad games (~3) this year, but I'd say Grebs and Visnovsky have been as bad. Gilbert usually takes a hit to get the puck out.

I think there's some injury going on. All season, he refuses to skate when he makes an outlet pass.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:03 PM
Towelie*

One problem was also that Edmonton's defensive depth last year, with injuries, was very poor. That environment allowed Gilbert to play more minutes then he deserved, and the points also followed. Gilbert wouldn't have been seeing top four minutes on some teams last year.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 02:06 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
One problem was also that Edmonton's defensive depth last year, with injuries, was very poor. That environment allowed Gilbert to play more minutes then he deserved, and the points also followed. Gilbert wouldn't have been seeing top four minutes on some teams last year.
Points are even the issue here... don't re-call anybody raising it.

Gilbert played error free hockey for the first 40 games. He was excellent defensively... didn't even take penalty until 10-15 games in. Gilbert just happens to be known for his point-production when he once played pretty good defensively.

Old
10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Points are even the issue here... don't re-call anybody raising it.

Gilbert played error free hockey for the first 40 games. He was excellent defensively... didn't even take penalty until 10-15 games in. Gilbert just happens to be known for his point-production when he once played pretty good defensively.
Oh ya, I agree. What I am saying is that Edmonton's defensive depth last year allowed Gilbert to get way more playing time then he would on most teams, and consequently, his new contract reflects that.

Old
10-26-2008, 02:15 PM
voxel

Quote:
Oh ya, I agree. What I am saying is that Edmonton's defensive depth last year allowed Gilbert to get way more playing time then he would on most teams, and consequently, his new contract reflects that.
His contract isn't bad. A top-4 D-man gets between $2M to $4M under the current salary cap so he's in the upper range. Vancouver's D-men are underpaid for sure.

Regardless, Gilbert > Carle

Carle's breakout year was due to the Sharks PP. Gilbert scored most of his at ES.

Old
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
His contract isn't bad. A top-4 D-man gets between $2M to $4M under the current salary cap so he's in the upper range. Vancouver's D-men are underpaid for sure.

Regardless, Gilbert > Carle

Carle's breakout year was due to the Sharks PP. Gilbert scored most of his at ES.
I don't think his contract is terrible, especially given the recent inflation of the cap. But he is going to have to prove he can play well with actual NHL competition in Sourary and Vishnevsky (sp?)

Old
10-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Bryanbryoil

Offensively, a lot of his points came with the kid line (IIRC) last year. This year the line hasn't been as productive and neither has Gilbert. Defensively, he hasn't been that strong either. However he signed a big deal, and he could have some complacency in his game. He'll get it going, but it could be awhile. And as much as people hate to hear it, he could very well just be a victim of the Sophomore jinx. IMO he'll come around sooner or later. Thank God for Souray, Strudwick, and Staios so far this season.

10-26-2008, 02:41 PM
voxel

Quote:
I don't think his contract is terrible, especially given the recent inflation of the cap. But he is going to have to prove he can play well with actual NHL competition in Sourary and Vishnevsky (sp?)
He play top-pairing off and on for about 40 games so there is NHL-level defensive skill there.

The BIG question mark is can he repeat last year WITHOUT Pitkanen. He looked so-so with Grebs. Those two are awesome offensively, but can get hemmed in their own zone.

Old
10-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Too bad San Jose already addressed their offensive needs from the back end with Boyle or I would have liked to see if the two teams could have worked out a deal based around Gilbert+ for Cheechoo or Michalek.

Gilbert will come around though, he exceeded expectations last year, and crashed down, his true game is probably somewhere in between.
his true game definitely is somewhere between, but that true game is no where near worth 4 million dollars a season. I have no idea how Brent Burns can sign a 4 year 3.5 million dollar contract a year and lowe gives gilbert 4 million a year. Or how Nicklas Kronwall the year before gets a 5 year 3 million dollar a year contract. Both those players are much better than Gilbert. Sure they signed at the beginning of last season or the season before, respectively, but Lowe should have not been so generous with Tom Gilbert

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
OntOilFan

This is what you get for giving a hefty contract to a player who hasn't proven a damn thing.

Those of you who say he will rebound are going on nothing but pure optimism. The fact is, he hasn't given us one reason to think he will be the player he was last year and keep improving.

I understand wanting to lock up your young core before they are of age to demand huge contracts, but the Gilbert example might turn out to be a case study in waiting to evaluate assets before you break the bank on them.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:05 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Thank God for Souray, Strudwick, and Staios so far this season.
Interesting, before the season started, a lot of posters were asking why Staios was still on the team.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntOilFan View Post
This is what you get for giving a hefty contract to a player who hasn't proven a damn thing.

Those of you who say he will rebound are going on nothing but pure optimism. The fact is, he hasn't given us one reason to think he will be the player he was last year and keep improving.

I understand wanting to lock up your young core before they are of age to demand huge contracts, but the Gilbert example might turn out to be a case study in waiting to evaluate assets before you break the bank on them.
I think it's important to remember that MANY of the same comments were heard floating around the Oilogosphere after Hemsky was signed to his contract...

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote