HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Gazette on the ropes

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2008, 12:18 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

vCash: 500
I hate to say this ... but I know allot of people who stopped reading the Gazette due to the weak content ...

And for a sports fan ... Jack Todd was just so bad at times ...

I will miss Aislin like crazy

Old
10-26-2008, 01:28 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
First the Star, then the Gazette? The immediate cause is economics but the root cause started years ago with the exodus of anglophones from Montréal after passage of the language laws. Think of all the brainpower that might have helped the local economy but instead relocated to Ontario and elsewhere!

http://communities.canada.com/MONTREALGAZETTE/forums/thread/20712.aspx

On the surface at least it makes Québec look like one of the small states spun off from the former Soviet Union or the African continent.
Those anglophones have been replaced a long time ago and like it or not "brainpower" is not exclusive to your culture .

Too bad however, Montreal deserves his own english newspaper.

Old
10-26-2008, 01:59 PM
JrHockeyFan

It is becoming very common to have a small local group for newspapers with everything else provided by the publisher from other sites. I think it is a crappy trend. The new "newspapers" have no conscience or local grounding at all other than sports

Old
10-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Mustafa*

Wow the Gazette was so condescandent toward French-Canadians (I remember a writer from the Gazette who had to write an article in Lapresse as an intercultural exchange, the guy sounded like a ****ing alien who was talking to retard monks with AIDS), imagine now if it's coming from Alberta!

And yeah that would be just too bad, because their Habs coverage was great, and Red Fisher is great too.

Old
10-26-2008, 02:46 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
damn i'm going to have to find a new paper for my dog to poop on

Old
10-26-2008, 02:48 PM
GoldenForum

Even good newspapers these days are facing a real economic crunch...and the Gazette is not a good newspaper. The only section ever worth reading was Sports and that has steadily gone downhill from the time Farber left and when Red started to go a little senile. Jack Todd and Hickey are really bad writers and reporters.

It's unfortunate that there may no longer be an English paper in Montreal, but, given the choice, I long ago stopped subscribing to the Gazette and just went with La Presse (I'm anglophone). I really feel bad for all those people who will be out of a job, but the paper probably should have folded about 10 years ago.

Old
10-26-2008, 05:46 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
damn i'm going to have to find a new paper for my dog to poop on
bahahaha .. good one ...

Old
10-26-2008, 05:51 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
Even good newspapers these days are facing a real economic crunch...and the Gazette is not a good newspaper. The only section ever worth reading was Sports and that has steadily gone downhill from the time Farber left and when Red started to go a little senile. Jack Todd and Hickey are really bad writers and reporters.

It's unfortunate that there may no longer be an English paper in Montreal, but, given the choice, I long ago stopped subscribing to the Gazette and just went with La Presse (I'm anglophone). I really feel bad for all those people who will be out of a job, but the paper probably should have folded about 10 years ago.
baaah Hickey ain't that bad, and the team at Habsinsideout ain't that bad either ... but in the words of '' cough '' a well known radio anchor ... Todd was a Roach ...

btw

My uncle subscribed to the Gazette for almost 20 years ... he stopped last year because he realized he could get 95 % of the content online ...

Old
10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
Those anglophones have been replaced a long time ago and like it or not "brainpower" is not exclusive to your culture .

Too bad however, Montreal deserves his own english newspaper.
Years ago, I had the opportunity to do my graduate studies in New York. I gained immeasurably from that cosmopolitan environment. I also traveled widely. While Montréal is still a great city, I have enough perspective to tell you that it isn't healthy to have a provincial outlook.

I didn't say that brainpower is exclusive to any one group but if the self-imposed exiles had remained in Montréal their contribution would have complemented or supplemented that of the remaining population. Let's face it, quite a bit of talent has been lost, and Québec is all the poorer for having driven it away with its language laws.

Having said that, I acknowledge that The Gazette isn't something to be proud of. Years ago, the Star was considered to one of the best newspapers in North America. Unfortunately, analogous to Gresham's law, inferior products frequently drive superior ones out of circulation. Red Fisher might have felt he was moving to the slums when he signed with the Gazette.

Old
10-26-2008, 08:19 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
First the Star, then the Gazette? The immediate cause is economics but the root cause started years ago with the exodus of anglophones from Montréal after passage of the language laws. Think of all the brainpower that might have helped the local economy but instead relocated to Ontario and elsewhere!

http://communities.canada.com/MONTREALGAZETTE/forums/thread/20712.aspx

On the surface at least it makes Québec look like one of the small states spun off from the former Soviet Union or the African continent.
Level-headed comment the way we like !

Thanks, Tufseldreqkskt.

Old
10-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Joe Cole

Newspapers have quickly become a thing of the past. The fact that the Gazette may go under is no surprise. It is marketing to a diminishing audience. Anglos know they can get better, more current news online, for free.

As for cries of racism... gimme a break. No other paper is any better. It is the same for all news outlets. Find the one that matches your point of view and enjoy the slant.

Old
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

signed

Old
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
neofury*

I wouldn't say the root cause of it is the language laws, but I will say this, many many people (anglos) moved to ontario due to this, therefore in a sense, it did lower the market for their product. French people want to read a french newspaper am I right? Well if you make all the English people leave, who is going to read the English paper?

I'm not saying that is the root cause, imo the root cause is the economy in general and the fact of the internet being a free and easy way to get all the news you can handle. My personal opinion is that if the gazette was able to last this long without all the anglos who left over the years, then it wouldn't be stopping them now. Definitely the #1 reason imo is the internet taking over.

I could be wrong, but to me it's like this:

1) Internet Takeover of News / Television / Radio even, just leaves no room for pen and paper type competition.
2) Economy - Businesses all over the place are taking a hit
3) The gradual increase of people of all ages using the internet and the gradual decrease of anglos in quebec

I don't truly know if Anglo's are still decreasing in Quebecs population, could not be the case, but all I'm saying is, even if we are replacing old anglos with new ones (people being born) it is the older population that generally uses newspapers rather then the internet. The younger generation is more in with technology and such.

I remember back in the days people had milk delivered to their door, does anyone still do that? I'm wondering if the market for milk delivery has gone down a lot as well

I think it's just due to the fact that newspapers are only as future proof as the websites they own, but even then.

I might not be 100% correct about this, but I think many of the points I've made can be considered valid, I just don't know to what degree.

Old
10-27-2008, 01:00 PM
mcphee

no, no sense whatsoever. You'll all laugh when my milk route is subject of a featured report on CTV. At least it would have been but there'll be no local tv by then either.

I'm not in the mood for sociology today so while I like opening the Gazette in the morning, I could learn to live without it. I think that the paper went down in quality as their competition closed. I hate the lessening of any local feel whether it be print or another form of media but that seems to be the way now. I don't expect anyone to lose $ so I can spend 10 minutes browsing stats in the morning.

Old
10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Joe Cole

Kinda ironic that the OQLF and others have sounded the alarm that English is too prevalent in Montreal society.

So much so that there is a new ad campaign paid with public funds to encourage Anglos to say "Bonjour" instead of "Hello"....all this at the same time that the English paper is about to disappear.

Old
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
So much so that there is a new ad campaign paid with public funds to encourage Anglos to say "Bonjour" instead of "Hello"....all this at the same time that the English paper is about to disappear.
That ad is borderline offensive. Couldn't believe it when I first heard it on the radio.

Old
10-27-2008, 01:17 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
That ad is borderline offensive. Couldn't believe it when I first heard it on the radio.
Frankly, getting Montrealers to respond when you pass them on the street is a chore in itself. I've gotten used to the country ways where you acknowlege people when you pass them on the street. I do it for fun sometimes in the city to get a reaction, but city dwellers seem to not like this too much.

Old
10-27-2008, 01:21 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Frankly, getting Montrealers to respond when you pass them on the street is a chore in itself. I've gotten used to the country ways where you acknowlege people when you pass them on the street. I do it for fun sometimes in the city to get a reaction, but city dwellers seem to not like this too much.
So true. It's amazing how Montrealers keep to themselves so much.

It could be worse though...it could be New York.

Old
10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
mcphee

Quote:

Toronto's worse. Say good morning a you get a wide berth.

Truthfully I find people very welcoming in Quebec, it's more a city vs. country thing. My friends out here consider themselves very hospitable and I smile and agree but it takes a generation or 2 before you're considered one of them in many ways.

Old
10-27-2008, 02:10 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Wow that's... wow... I can't believe that lmao.

It is offensive, but making laws that are racist against anglos is more offensive if you ask me. What is this a 3rd world country? Oh wait... this isn't a country at all

Sometimes it's hard to remember that fact, cause Quebec feels so isolated from the rest of canada..... idk I think this dumb language stuff has gone on long enough. You shouldn't have to make laws to enforce people to speak a certain language, how about leaving that choice up to said people. Don't even get me started on that dumb law that if both your parents didn't go to an English school in Quebec you have to go to a french one.... obviously many English elementary schools are already closing their doors over the past 10 years or so, it's only a matter of time before English high schools do the same and it further forces more english people out of here.

I get the vibe that the french public is worried English will take over or something, but if you have to make racist laws and dumb commericals, or even ostracize(bah sp?) half your province just so that this doesn't happen, then what is the point really?

Before anyone says something, yes this is my perspective as an anglo.

Old
10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Wow that's... wow... I can't believe that lmao.

It is offensive, but making laws that are racist against anglos is more offensive if you ask me. What is this a 3rd world country? Oh wait... this isn't a country at all

Sometimes it's hard to remember that fact, cause Quebec feels so isolated from the rest of canada..... idk I think this dumb language stuff has gone on long enough. You shouldn't have to make laws to enforce people to speak a certain language, how about leaving that choice up to said people. Don't even get me started on that dumb law that if both your parents didn't go to an English school in Quebec you have to go to a french one.... obviously many English elementary schools are already closing their doors over the past 10 years or so, it's only a matter of time before English high schools do the same and it further forces more english people out of here.

I get the vibe that the french public is worried English will take over or something, but if you have to make racist laws and dumb commericals, or even ostracize(bah sp?) half your province just so that this doesn't happen, then what is the point really?

Before anyone says something, yes this is my perspective as an anglo.
Since when the anglos are a race?

Old
10-27-2008, 03:03 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Since when the anglos are a race?
put on your sneakers tough guy, I'll race ya.

Old
10-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
put on your sneakers tough guy, I'll race ya.
he doesnt have any sneakers, he used them saturday to chug beer, hasnt had the time to buy a new pair yet

Old
10-27-2008, 03:10 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
he doesnt have any sneakers, he used them saturday to chug beer, hasnt had the time to buy a new pair yet

Until Saturday, I've never thought of porosity as a shoe feature.

Old
10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Saintecross

Quote:

I agree with this completely and I think it has to do with the relatively even split between Anglo and Franco population. You don't want to greet someone in the wrong language so you just don't bother greeting any one at all.

Closed Thread