HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-25-08 Sabres at Avalanche 7 PM MT

Old
10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Ehh. I'm not too worked up about this. From a size standpoint, he is what he is. There aren't too many offensively gifted defensemen who are also tough and physical defensively. That's like saying "Boy, if Sakic were really physical, he'd be something!".

And if Liles were tough and physical defensively, that combination along with his offensive abilities would result in a $6-7M per year contract, rather than the $4M he signed.

As long as he's alongside Hannan or Foote - and playing responsibly defensively - I'm cool with it.
That's similar to my thoughts on his physicality. We knew when he broke into the league that he didn't play a very physical brand of hockey. On the other hand, we know what kind of offensive abilities he possesses--so if that were absent, as it sometimes is, then I'd be more down on him.

Quote:
Yep. Liles' slapshot actually isn't bad, though he seems to need some time to get it off. I'd like to see him gun it more also.

-AB
Seems like the story for our powerplay just about every year. We even got on Blake every now and then for not gunning it enough from the point on the PP. I think Liles more enjoys working to create space so he can get himself the into the high slot for a scoring opportunity.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Seems like the story for our powerplay just about every year. We even got on Blake every now and then for not gunning it enough from the point on the PP. I think Liles more enjoys working to create space so he can get himself the into the high slot for a scoring opportunity.
That's everyone except for Smyth.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
That's similar to my thoughts on his physicality. We knew when he broke into the league that he didn't play a very physical brand of hockey. On the other hand, we know what kind of offensive abilities he possesses--so if that were absent, as it sometimes is, then I'd be more down on him.
Liles has thrown a couple of big checks so far this year. He'll never be Adam Foote, but he's knocked a few guys down and it seems his physicality is improving.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:16 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:

I'm actually really enjoying watching Liles' progression as a defenseman. He's way more physical than when he entered the league (may even have some highlite reel hits), he's considerably better defensively and his offensive game is still growing. I think within a few years he'll start getting the attention he should be getting as a very good defensemen. If his progression continues as it has throughout his career we're going to have one hell of a defender on our hands.

I think the thing I like best so far this year is that he has been able to combine what he worked on all last year (his defensive play) with his natural offensive talent. He's once again got that confidence to join the rush, at the same time I feel fully confident with him out on the ice. It is fantastic that we can pair him with some savvy defensive defensemen in Hannan and Foote, and even Salei is a good defensive presence.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
Liles has thrown a couple of big checks so far this year. He'll never be Adam Foote, but he's knocked a few guys down and it seems his physicality is improving.
I thought I heard somebody (probably McNabb or Haynes) mention that he'd put on 10-15 lbs doing weight training this offseason. Anyone else hear that, or am I...nuts.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Foppa2118

Budaj named second star this week. I thought he played well, but not that well. I guess there was as shortage of good goaltending this week.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2539...=headlines_nhl

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
I will agree with you, except for two little things...

1) He still get's knocked off the puck WAY too easily, especially on those fights in the corners

2) He is still too passive on his point shot during the PP...though that is improving somewhat. I know it's not the hardest shot on earth, but getting the puck to the net is the most important thing. Let the garbage men (Smyth and Tucker) clean up the rest
Size Queen.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiavsfan View Post
I will agree with you, except for two little things...

1) He still get's knocked off the puck WAY too easily, especially on those fights in the corners

2) He is still too passive on his point shot during the PP...though that is improving somewhat. I know it's not the hardest shot on earth, but getting the puck to the net is the most important thing. Let the garbage men (Smyth and Tucker) clean up the rest
Well, I wouldn't say he gets knocked down as easily as you imply here but then again none of us are really expecting him to win too many of those battles. If you really want to see a guy who gets knocked off the puck easily though I recommend you watch old highlights of Steven Reinprecht. I liked Rhino and all, but my God, the dude could get breathed on behind the net and fall down. Don't know what he's like in Phoenix but I doubt that's changed much.

I agree he might be a bit passive on the point but my biggest issue with JML's shot is that it's not nearly accurate enough. Not really a diss on him--not everyone can be Ray Bourque--but perhaps that's why he's taking more time to shoot.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote