HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pelle Lindbergh's Biography and Jersey

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2007, 10:23 AM
  #1
Pelle Lindbergh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
Pelle Lindbergh's Biography and Jersey

What is the last update about :

The English version of the book about Pelle ?

Any plans for the Flyers to retired his jersey soon ?

Thanks

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 05:00 PM
  #2
Nuclear
Registered User
 
Nuclear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 981
vCash: 500
I think his number is defacto retired, i.e. they refuse to ever use it again, but they won't officially retire it

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 05:11 PM
  #3
Pelle Lindbergh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
I hope one day....

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2007, 10:52 PM
  #4
slitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
the # will never be retired.

hell, most people at games nowadays wont even remember who he is

slitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2007, 10:56 PM
  #5
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
I remember reading here, or some other website, that the reason they won't retire it is because they don't want to 'honor', if you will, a drunk driver. That said it is one of those, its retired but its not cases. No one will wear it, but they won't send the number into the rafters or anything because they do not want to reward his bad choice that night. But yet they do have the Pelle Lindbergh Memorial award, so i dont know. Maybe the organization really values retired numbers and holds them to a high on and off ice standard.

The book though... I'm not too sure. I remember the author or editor would occasionally pop up around here with updates. I haven't heard of anything in awhile though, but i do remember the book looked quite nice.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 12:11 AM
  #6
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,364
vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
I remember reading here, or some other website, that the reason they won't retire it is because they don't want to 'honor', if you will, a drunk driver. That said it is one of those, its retired but its not cases. No one will wear it, but they won't send the number into the rafters or anything because they do not want to reward his bad choice that night. But yet they do have the Pelle Lindbergh Memorial award, so i dont know. Maybe the organization really values retired numbers and holds them to a high on and off ice standard.

The book though... I'm not too sure. I remember the author or editor would occasionally pop up around here with updates. I haven't heard of anything in awhile though, but i do remember the book looked quite nice.
This came up in a recent thread about Primeau and why Dowd was wearing number 25 in camp. There are different ways of honoring people. With Primeau, it was a terrific celebration prior to the Detroit game last season. As much as we enjoyed watching him, his career didn't warrant his number retired to join Parent, Clarke, etc.

With Lindbergh, obviously a much different scenario; however, there was a very moving memorial service dedicated to his memory and the game that followed (a win against Edmonton) was bone-chilling. It was a roller coaster of emotions perhaps never equalled. At this point, I doubt we will ever see "31" officially retired in a ceremony but for all intents and purposes it is retired.


MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 09:33 AM
  #7
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
When retiring a number, you are talking about putting that number up there with Clarke, Parent, Barber and Ashbee. Who since them really warrants being mentioned with those guys? I know we had a post dedicated to this before, but Howe is really the only one that comes to mind cause he was one of the best at his position over his career. Other then that, Propp is the only one I would blink an eye at, but I think he falls just a bit short.

As for Lindbergh, he just wasnt around long enough, and although his death was tragic, it was a tragedy brought on by himself, unlike Ashbee. I think not having anyone wear the number anymore is mroe then sufficient to honor him.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
  #8
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
When retiring a number, you are talking about putting that number up there with Clarke, Parent, Barber and Ashbee. Who since them really warrants being mentioned with those guys? I know we had a post dedicated to this before, but Howe is really the only one that comes to mind cause he was one of the best at his position over his career. Other then that, Propp is the only one I would blink an eye at, but I think he falls just a bit short.

As for Lindbergh, he just wasnt around long enough, and although his death was tragic, it was a tragedy brought on by himself, unlike Ashbee. I think not having anyone wear the number anymore is mroe then sufficient to honor him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Briere

Pens allstar prospect. Had 44 point rookie season then in the offseason was in a car accident and put in a coma. He died a year later. They retired his number, 21. For awhile, it was just like Lindberg's number, taken out of circulation, but never given a true retirement ceremony. Then in 2000 the officially retired it.

Does Michel Briere really deserve to mentioned with Mario Lemieux?

But I do agree with you that it was a tragedy brought on to himself, and i do believe that is likely the reason why it hasn't been retired, especially since there is somewhat of a history of retiring a number if their life or playing career is cut short. Michel Breiere, Ace Bailey, Bill Barilko, etc. etc.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2007, 01:10 PM
  #9
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Briere

Pens allstar prospect. Had 44 point rookie season then in the offseason was in a car accident and put in a coma. He died a year later. They retired his number, 21. For awhile, it was just like Lindberg's number, taken out of circulation, but never given a true retirement ceremony. Then in 2000 the officially retired it.

Does Michel Briere really deserve to mentioned with Mario Lemieux?

But I do agree with you that it was a tragedy brought on to himself, and i do believe that is likely the reason why it hasn't been retired, especially since there is somewhat of a history of retiring a number if their life or playing career is cut short. Michel Breiere, Ace Bailey, Bill Barilko, etc. etc.
Different organizations have different precedents. If you want to expand that analogy, the Flyers should have considered retiring the number of Tertyshny, who also died in a tragic accident after a stellar rookie season. Simply put, the Flyers have chosen to only retire the numbers of a VERY select few members of their history. It's a sort of unwritten rule that to get your number retired you have to bring the city a cup (otherwise, Mark Howe's #2 should be hanging in the rafters.) Personally, I think it's great that they choose to honor certain players (Pelle, Primeau, Desjardins) in various ways but not actually retire their numbers, leaving that to be a truly special distinction.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2007, 12:17 PM
  #10
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle Lindbergh View Post
What is the last update about :

The English version of the book about Pelle ?

Any plans for the Flyers to retired his jersey soon ?

Thanks

The Flyers will not officially retire his jersey, but it's unlikely anyone else will wear it in the forseeable future.

As for the book, we've been hunting for a publisher. I blogged an excerpt from one chapter on Hockeybuzz a few weeks ago and will periodically post other excerpts.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
  #11
Pelle Lindbergh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
so any new update ?

about the jersey
the book
or maybe a dvd about his career ?
action figure ?

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:18 AM
  #12
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Briere

Pens allstar prospect. Had 44 point rookie season then in the offseason was in a car accident and put in a coma. He died a year later. They retired his number, 21. For awhile, it was just like Lindberg's number, taken out of circulation, but never given a true retirement ceremony. Then in 2000 the officially retired it.

Does Michel Briere really deserve to mentioned with Mario Lemieux?

But I do agree with you that it was a tragedy brought on to himself, and i do believe that is likely the reason why it hasn't been retired, especially since there is somewhat of a history of retiring a number if their life or playing career is cut short. Michel Breiere, Ace Bailey, Bill Barilko, etc. etc.
I think part of the reluctance on the Flyers part to hang his number in the rafters is the fact that he died in a drunk driving accident. No one will ever wear thirty one again, but it won't hang.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 12:31 PM
  #13
Tommy D
Registered User
 
Tommy D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Long Island NY
Country: United States
Posts: 751
vCash: 500
Pelle was great no doubt. However it was explained to me by my coach so many years ago what do you say to so many other Flyers greats?

It's a slippery slope if you choose <then or now> to retire his number.

Guess I was angry at the time and it never made sense to me. Now, however many years later it does. What the team has done is perfect in my eyes. The number 31 is Pelle's forever. He doesn't need some piece of orange cloth in the rafters to tell us that.

Tommy D

Tommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
  #14
Pelle Lindbergh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
i know but in a couple of years, people may forget about him, like the
HABS did with Butch Bouchard (number 3), they forgot to hang his jersey and now Ryan Obyrne, is wearing his number 3. That's why i'm still hoping, i know he did not the best choice on this night of november 1986 but maybe he can be a example for the youth, to always remember to not drink and drive.

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:16 PM
  #15
CharlieGirl
Registered User
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,807
vCash: 500
Bill Meltzer was working on the english version of the book, and had posted an excerpt on Hockeybuzz -- if I'm not mistaken, it's due out in the spring, and looks like a terrific read.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
  #16
turkinaa
Registered User
 
turkinaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Different organizations have different precedents. If you want to expand that analogy, the Flyers should have considered retiring the number of Tertyshny, who also died in a tragic accident after a stellar rookie season.
And now Tertyshny is forgotten and his number is used all the time.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:34 PM
  #17
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Tertyshny isn't forgotten at all.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:07 PM
  #18
Pelle Lindbergh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
tell more about this player

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
  #19
MountainHawk
Registered User
 
MountainHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 12,771
vCash: 450
Tertyshny? He was a 22 yr old defensemen who had just made the Flyers the season before, and died in a boating accident up in Canada during the summer of 1999 where he fell off a motorboat and had his jugular vein slashed by the propeller.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:08 PM
  #20
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Bill Meltzer was working on the english version of the book, and had posted an excerpt on Hockeybuzz -- if I'm not mistaken, it's due out in the spring, and looks like a terrific read.
It will be coming out next September, shortly prior to next season. I will be running another excerpt on Friday -- it's a Halloween-related story from the book.

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:11 AM
  #21
Pelle Lindbergh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
where i can read these excepts ?

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 07:56 AM
  #22
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle Lindbergh View Post
where i can read these excepts ?
At Hockeybuzz.com

Chapter one excerpt: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16336

"The Christmas Death Skate": http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16678

Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
  #23
Pelle Lindbergh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
what a great read ! Great work !!!
I can't wait to get the book in my hand, it will be a dream come true !
Do you have a picture of the cover art ?
how many pages ?
why the release only late next year ?
thanks again

Pelle Lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 04:14 PM
  #24
Opus
Registered User
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
At Hockeybuzz.com

Chapter one excerpt: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16336

"The Christmas Death Skate": http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16678
Great reads.

Thanks for sharing Bill.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 05:32 PM
  #25
Bill_Meltzer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle Lindbergh View Post
what a great read ! Great work !!!
I can't wait to get the book in my hand, it will be a dream come true !
Do you have a picture of the cover art ?
how many pages ?
why the release only late next year ?
thanks again
Thanks. I appreciate it!!!! I'm very excited about the book. It's been an honor to work with Thomas to present his book to the North American public.

We're probably going to use the same cover art as the Swedish version of the book. This was the dominant image on the cover:

http://www.prisjakt.nu/bokbild/liten/20537


The number of pages will depend on how it gets laid out, but I'd estimate about 250 pages. There are 31 chapters.


We're waiting to release the book until next September because the contracts were only signed recently, and we want it to come out before the start of the hockey season with carryover to the holiday season. Also, 2009 will mark the year in which Pelle would have have celebrated his 50th birthday.

Thanks again!


Last edited by Bill_Meltzer: 10-27-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Bill_Meltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.