HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A.Kostitsyn concussion?

Old
10-27-2008, 08:19 PM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
The NHL says you're wrong.
Actually I would not be too sure about that.

42.1 Boarding A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

There is just as much responsibility on the hitter not to take advantage of a vulnerable player as there is for a player to "keep his head up". It is up to the ref to make the call. Personally I can't see how at least a 4 minute boarding call was not made against Sauer. How violent does the hit have to be?

I'll have to see this other hit before saying anything about that one. But this love affair with brain scrambling hits is just looney tunes to me

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Belarus

So, is he playing tonight?

Belarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Habsolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
So, is he playing tonight?
Yes.

Habsolutely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:39 PM
TGJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolutely View Post
Yes.
Source?

TGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGJ View Post
Source?

Edit: http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/262458.html

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
CPrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Actually I would not be too sure about that.

42.1 Boarding A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player (or goalkeeper) applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

There is just as much responsibility on the hitter not to take advantage of a vulnerable player as there is for a player to "keep his head up". It is up to the ref to make the call. Personally I can't see how at least a 4 minute boarding call was not made against Sauer. How violent does the hit have to be?

I'll have to see this other hit before saying anything about that one. But this love affair with brain scrambling hits is just looney tunes to me
When you read the rule it is hard to argue that it wasn't boarding really. Although it was 100% up to the refs discretion to make the call.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote